Quantcast

Thread: Side by Side: Dungeon Explorer (Sega CD vs. TG-16)

Question Side by Side: Dungeon Explorer (Sega CD vs. TG-16)

The multi-player dungeon crawler Dungeon Explorer debuted on the TurboGrafx-16 and eventually hacked and slashed its way to the Sega CD. Which version is better? Well, you'll have to read our full comparison and see!
    Last edited by Melf; 02-27-2012 at 10:40 PM.

Interesting article. I own the hu-card but not the sega CD version. I think the ability to save would make the game much more fun. Seems like the graphics are better on the CD too, although I still cant fathom how the hu-card could display more colors than genesis + CD.

How can the Turbo version be punished for not having S-video, when the Sega CD version requires a system modification to have it? Also, it's not the processor of the Sega CD which handles the graphics, it's the VDP of the Genesis and the Turbo could display 482 colours on screen, not 256.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Yohko16's Avatar

^ yet I don't think that there is a single PC Engine game that displays 482 colors (unlike what some PC Engine fanboys pretend lol) and even 200+ colors I'm not sure.

From what I've measured using GIMP, the average on PC Engine games is between 40 to 90 colors.

Anyway the graphics in the Dungeon Explorer games on PC Engine CD and Mega-CD are about as good BUT the Mega-CD game runs in higher and properly shaped resolution.

What you see there on PC Engine would be badly stretched out once displayed on 4:3 (as intended) while the Mega-CD game would still have a good aspect ratio and also crisper details.

Also thanks to this, the Mega-CD game has bigger playfield.

Well yeah, no console comes up to their maximum capabilities with their games, they are just there to show the potential. But you can see as PC Engine has a bigger maximum amount of colours, it also has a bigger average amount of colours on screen compared to Mega Drive.

I don't know about that resolution thing. The Mega-CD version has I think 64 or 80 horizontal pixels dedicated to UI, so the aspect ratio might turn out about the same as on PC Engine.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yohko16 View Post
    ^ yet I don't think that there is a single PC Engine game that displays 482 colors (unlike what some PC Engine fanboys pretend lol) and even 200+ colors I'm not sure.

From what I've measured using GIMP, the average on PC Engine games is between 40 to 90 colors.

Anyway the graphics in the Dungeon Explorer games on PC Engine CD and Mega-CD are about as good BUT the Mega-CD game runs in higher and properly shaped resolution.

What you see there on PC Engine would be badly stretched out once displayed on 4:3 (as intended) while the Mega-CD game would still have a good aspect ratio and also crisper details.

Also thanks to this, the Mega-CD game has bigger playfield.
    I've been active in online discussions since 1996 and have never seen anyone claim that any PC Engine game even approaches half that number, as most people understand what that number actually means.

You really should begin copying or linking all of these phantom fanboy comments. I don't don't know how there can be so many PCE fanboys out there making so many crazy comments, while also avoiding the PCE community altogether.

I only see people like you claim that Genesis games have extra colors from using shadow/highlight, even though again if you understood what that entails, it's not how it works.

No PC Engine CD games were compared in the article if you actually read it.

Aspect ratio has nothing to do with "crisper details". Only actual detail makes up the level of detail. The most detailed games at the time were found in arcade games like Capcom's CPS lineup, which you would have us believe look "hideously distorted" because the pixels are not square.

The playfield portion of the screen is literally the same size on a TV screen. The difference is that while the PC Engine game thankfully has a nice 4:2.25 aspect ratio, the Sega-CD game's playfield is stuck at 3:3.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Yohko16's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    I don't know about that resolution thing. The Mega-CD version has I think 64 or 80 horizontal pixels dedicated to UI, so the aspect ratio might turn out about the same as on PC Engine.
    No it's about the resolution format. Most PCE games run in 256x224 pixels which leads to smaller screen estate and also often wrong aspect ratio once in 4:3 compared to MD's most used resolution of 320x224 pixels.

@Black_Tiger: It's from youtube. I know youtube is often filled with crap comments but this also the most popular/exposed source leading to lot of wide-spreaded bullshit like those.

And about S/H mode, ye, I thought it leads to 2 additional shades for most colors in the MD palette https://segaretro.org/Sega_Mega_Driv..._and_highlight

And I was talking about both Dungeon Explorer games but said "PC Engine CD" instead of "PC Engine/PC Engine CD", big deal.

And of course that aspect ratio and details are tied. A better resolution format leads to better aspect ratio and thus details that look right and not badly stretched (deformed). Sadly most PCE games run in the same crappy resolution as SNES and thus have limited screen estate and often wrong aspect ratio...

Thread Information