Quantcast

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shadow of the Beast

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Ball Gamer View Post
    Can anyone tell me if the jap version will play on an American genesis 1 naturally or will I have to resort to game genie code trickery? Also regarding the sequel, does anyone know if their are any real advantages of the sega cd version over the cart version, or which has better music? I know that with wolfchild the cart music sounds better than the cd so that's why I ask.
    I just tried the Japanese version with the US country selected in the Gens emu, and it started right up. So you should be good to go.

Noiman
    - If you can, find an Amiga emulator, and get it set up to play SotB. You'll see a noticeable difference, and hear a very drastic one. The Amiga version would get an 8.5 from me, with the MegaDrive version getting a 6 (the music is still not nearly as good, but the gameplay is helped a bit by the game playing at the proper speed). The Amiga version simply looks, sounds and plays noticeably better than the Genesis version.

If you really are interested in seeing how the original version is, but have trouble getting it all set up, send me a PM. I'll tell you how to get the emu up and running

Currently Reviewing: Galaxy Force (SMS), Fantasy Zone (SMS)
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done: R-Type, Ninja Gaiden, Rastan, Gods, Sagaia

that game really got around i have it on my commiedoor64 and atari lynx too

and it always sucked eye candy it was but playing it was frustrating

make sure and visit my album

Master of Shinobi Dirt Ball Gamer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    It's too old to have a region lock. You should be fine.

I haven't done a full comparison, but I know there are gameplay changes. I believe the Genesis version made some parts easier (and your health decreases slower), and the Sega CD version restored those changes back to the Amiga difficulty, but made some other changes with item placement and stuff like that. A couple of areas were changed; for example, the little section early on where you ride a lift up to an area where you let a beast-thing out of its cage, is out in the open on Genesis and Amiga, and the Sega CD version shows it being inside a building. The Sega CD version also gives you 5 continues (the others having no continues). It also has added video sequences and voiced dialogue. The main weapon is kind of gimped though; it swings like a mace instead of shooting straight forward, and doesn't reach as far. The music, to answer your question, is much better, due to being CD quality, but also due to having a larger number of tracks. The Amiga version had one tune that got really old, and the Genesis music is kind of crappy. Lastly, they gave the main sprite more clothes for some reason. I guess male nipples are too much for the Sega CD to handle.
    Awesome, thats what I wanted to know. Thanks!

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by The Coop View Post

Noiman
    - If you can, find an Amiga emulator, and get it set up to play SotB. You'll see a noticeable difference, and hear a very drastic one. The Amiga version would get an 8.5 from me, with the MegaDrive version getting a 6 (the music is still not nearly as good, but the gameplay is helped a bit by the game playing at the proper speed). The Amiga version simply looks, sounds and plays noticeably better than the Genesis version.

If you really are interested in seeing how the original version is, but have trouble getting it all set up, send me a PM. I'll tell you how to get the emu up and running
    I promise I'll try playing it on an emulator, if there any set up problems I'll let you know. This game has a great nostalgic value for me anyway.

Child in Time Nameless One Antony's Avatar

This has some great nostalgic value to me as well. I remember it was one of my first Mega Drive games.

Never played it as a masochist, though, there was this cheat, play the game and kill some enemies to get a high score and then after you lose enter ZQX ("Q" is actually a mirrored "P"), start a new game and voila, you're invincible!

The Amiga version is the unbeaten king when it comes to graphics and audio, but of all the ports, the Genesis (US/PAL) version is the one that comes the closest when it comes to the tone and the atmosphere of the original. Other versions (Mega Drive/JP, PC Engine, SNES) are good, but different.

I quite frankly think the Genesis/Megadrive port isn't bad either. It actually seems the closest in graphics and level design compared to the Amiga original. I guess Americans can switch their Genesis to 50Hz mode while playing this game and it should run fine. Ofcourse it needs to be region-modded first
    I think the Genesis version of the soundtrack is quite good, it captures the dark tone of the original, but has a unique Genesis feel too. I even think the music from the bosses in the tree section (in the Amiga version) plays nice in the castle section.
    Graphics-wise it also comes close. It indeed has a higher contrast due to the lower palette but it's not distracting or anything. A lot of enemies in the original only have 4 colors, while on the Genesis most of them are 16-colored.

About the Japanese version: They indeed changed a lot of graphics by making a lot of stuff more colourful and brighter looking (so it doesn't have that dark feel of the original anymore IMHO), just like other Japanese console versions: the PC-Engine and FM-Towns. But it is NTSC-fixed, and most importantly: made EASIER. You get a lot more health potions and your maximum health is 24 instead of 12. And the invincibility cheat still works. So for Genesis users this indeed is the version to get (if you can stand the altered graphics )

About the CD-music from the Turbo-CD and FM-Towns versions (they're both the same): I personally don't really like them, while they're good on their own, they sound a lot more 'happier' to me than the originals.

The C64-soundtrack is interesting though

@jesus.arnold:
    Yes I played Beast 3, and I agree that it's the best chapter. Also since it's more playable, and you have 3 lives finally. And an Amiga exclusive

It seems Shadow of the Beast III was also in development for the Mega Drive at some point, but the port didn't get too far apparently (no one nows anything about it). I saw the Mega Drive music conversion job listed in the bio profile of noted Mega Drive musician Matt Furniss.
    Last edited by Wesker; 10-17-2009 at 12:42 PM.

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

This game looks cool, and I want to play it now. I always liked games with dark demonic artwork. (ex- The Immortal, Stormlord, Chakan although it's impossible.) Too bad the American cart apparently plays too fast; maybe I'll just go for Shadow of the Beast II for the Sega CD. I hope that game is solid.

I thought I had seen this game at the store after reading the review. I asked for it and was going to buy it, but actually it was Roar of the Beast, themed on Beauty and the Beast! Oh the disappointment!

I forgot to address this waaaaaaaaay back when, and the newest bump reminded me of it. So...

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    This review felt too much like a Side-by-Side.
    When a game gets ported to the Genesis, I've always felt it was very important to compare the Genesis version to the original version (in this case, the Amiga one)... especially when the Genesis version was altered for the worse (IMHO). When there are graphical, gameplay and aural changes, I feel those changes need to be pointed out, regardless of whether they're good or bad. In the case of SotB, the altered graphics and drastically different music needed to be brought up. And given how much praise the Amiga version got for those areas, that made it even more important to me.

See, I've always been of the mind set of pointing out the differences in versions of a game. I hated not knowing if the XBox or PS2 version of a game was better because of the lack of comparison by the reviewer (which one ran better, looked better, played better, and so forth). So when I started writing these reviews, I've always made it a point to bring up those differences. Perhaps this makes it seem more like a side-by-side at times, or maybe it irks some folks, but I can't just simply put up a score for a port without likening it to the original.

If I'd never played the Amiga version, my review might have been different. The Genesis game would have been seen in an altered light, as I would have never known about what came before it. But that's not the case, and I felt my review needed to reflect that. I can't pretend that the Amiga game never existed, and write a review like SotB was a Genesis original while only comparing it to other Genesis titles. To me, that would be a disservice to everyone who took the time to read it... especially those who know of the original game SotB was ported from.

Anyway, that's my excuse/reasoning. Don't know if you're interested in the least after the amount of time that's passed, but there it all is
    Last edited by The Coop; 01-14-2010 at 02:06 PM.

A good game. I first got the Master System version which had RPG elements (collecting potions and keys etc and using them at one's leisure) and liked it after getting used to the awlward controls. I later got the Mega Drive version and was very impressed by the improvements to the graphics, sounds and music. When you enter the tree and descend the stairs it gets very creepy. The game is a bit too difficult though. The Master System one gives you extra lives whereas this one doesn't; as soon as you die it's game over which can be quite frustrating.
    From beyond the edge of darkness the warrior cries revenge.

Egad that game was hard... The only attack being punch at the beginning was really annoying for me. I had a hard time attacking anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesker View Post
    It seems Shadow of the Beast III was also in development for the Mega Drive at some point, but the port didn't get too far apparently (no one nows anything about it). I saw the Mega Drive music conversion job listed in the bio profile of noted Mega Drive musician Matt Furniss.
    Correct. I created the music and sounds for it. Never seen the game tho. It was never released.

Unrelated to this thread topic, there was also a Sega Genesis version of Blood Money (from the Amiga) in development. Music done, never released.

Is this for real, or a joke account?

Quote Originally Posted by The Coop View Post

Is this for real, or a joke account?
    Real. I'd like a binary of these games myself. I've not heard the music since it was created, almost 20 years ago! Never had the good sense to keep an audio copy at the time.

Well, welcome to Sega-16.

It's a shame you don't have the music anymore. I'd like to hear what was done with SotB III's music on the Genesis hardware.

By the way, enjoyed the music you made for Alien 3, and your take on the music for the Galahad and G-LOC ports.

Thread Information