Quantcast

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shadow of the Beast

Puyo Shadow of the Beast

Recognized by Genesis fans as one of the hardest action/platformers of all time, Shadow of the Beast reportedly owes its notorious difficulty to a higher refresh rate that made it run almost 20% faster than it should have. Lots of game pads lost their lives taking on this incredibly hard game, but there are those gamers out there who had the patience (and the extra controllers) to actually play through to the end. Are you man enough for the challenge? Read our full review and see if this one's worth trying.
    Last edited by Melf; 08-28-2011 at 02:08 PM.

This review felt too much like a Side-by-Side.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!
    Quote Originally Posted by llj View Post
    Count me as someone who never liked the Turbo/Hyper Fighting iterations of Street Fighter 2. The speed ups always struck me as too "Benny Hill".

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

If this review was made by a guy who played it in 50 Hz, I think the score and opinion would have been more favourable for the game.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Master of Shinobi

The music is not sped up, the NTSC Genesis speeds the music up because the game is made for PAL Mega Drive's and is un-optimised for 60hz.

The Japanese version was optimised and so also plays correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by jesus.arnold View Post
    The music is not sped up, the NTSC Genesis speeds the music up because the game is made for PAL Mega Drive's and is un-optimised for 60hz.

The Japanese version was optimised and so also plays correctly.
    Then that makes the music sped up, doesn't it?

But seriously, is this true? Because if it is, that's just beyond sad... and an interesting reversal given how many 60Hz games went to PAL territories without being optimized for 50Hz.

Zebbe- I've owned the US version since shortly after it came out, so I've been playing it at 60Hz from the get go. If this game really is just the PAL version brought to the US without being adjusted as j.a mentioned, then that's yet another thing EA did wrong with this port. That's why I mentioned the Japanese version at the end of the review. Not just for the graphical tweaks, but the fact that everything runs at proper speed when compared to the Amiga original.

Currently Reviewing: Galaxy Force (SMS)
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done:

That just goes to show you that EA had no idea how to make a good game outside of the sports dept.
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

Master of Shinobi

I've got a sneaking suspicion that EA only actually changed the region packaging with their games and just dumped the same cartridges in the boxes as when you look at the "PAL" EA cartridges they have "for use with the Sega Genesis System" written on them

If this is true then obviously it means that there's no real difference between any EA games between the US and Europe, and their games will usually only work properly on one system or the other.

James Pond 2 and Zool are other games published by EA that play too fast on US systems

Also I've said it before, I think Rolo to the Rescue is supposed to be played on 50hz, but there's no point of reference as it was a MD exclusive and it plays pretty equally well on both settings anyway so there's no real way of knowing

Quote Originally Posted by vintagegamecrazy View Post
    That just goes to show you that EA had no idea how to make a good game outside of the sports dept.
    Except that EA more often published games rather than developing them, in this case Psygnosis did (even though there were just two guys who made this game, I think).

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Actually this game was developed by Reflections, published by Psygnosis, and merely distributed by EA.

edit: Okay, the port was done by WJS, forgot about that. The original game was developed by Reflections. EA only distributed the Genesis version.

Quote Originally Posted by The Coop View Post
    Then that makes the music sped up, doesn't it?

But seriously, is this true? Because if it is, that's just beyond sad... and an interesting reversal given how many 60Hz games went to PAL territories without being optimized for 50Hz.
    It happened with a lot of Amiga games too, actually. Some European-developed games had separate NTSC versions, but many did not. Of course, if you're playing on a monitor then it doesn't matter. Funnily enough, Shadow of the Beast for Amiga was one of the games that did have a proper NTSC version.

The Turbo CD version is my favorite. It doesn't have as much parallax, but it has a continue option, and an awesome CD soundtrack. Some of the other ports made some weird creative changes too. The SMS version involves a lot of opening doors with keys.
    Last edited by j_factor; 09-01-2009 at 06:20 PM.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

A Light In The Building. Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    Except that EA more often published games rather than developing them, in this case Psygnosis did (even though there were just two guys who made this game, I think).
    No, WJS Design covered this port. I believe it was just one guy.

Sorry, I meant the original development.

Wildside Expert

I haven't played the Amiga version and I don't know what's going on with the sound on the Genesis version. I have the MD version and the music sounded fine to my ears.
    The graphics are fantastic and it's an incredibly atmospheric game that needs patience, skills and LOTS of practice. The ending was quite lame tho'.
    I bought it almost 15 years ago and it's still one my absolute favourites from this console. It might not be flawless, but I think it deserves a little bit more than 5/10.

Master of Shinobi Dirt Ball Gamer's Avatar

Can anyone tell me if the jap version will play on an American genesis 1 naturally or will I have to resort to game genie code trickery? Also regarding the sequel, does anyone know if their are any real advantages of the sega cd version over the cart version, or which has better music? I know that with wolfchild the cart music sounds better than the cd so that's why I ask.

Master of Shinobi

Anyone played Shadow of the Beast 3? that was pretty much the only one I liked.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Ball Gamer View Post
    Can anyone tell me if the jap version will play on an American genesis 1 naturally or will I have to resort to game genie code trickery?
    It's too old to have a region lock. You should be fine.

Also regarding the sequel, does anyone know if their are any real advantages of the sega cd version over the cart version, or which has better music? I know that with wolfchild the cart music sounds better than the cd so that's why I ask.
    I haven't done a full comparison, but I know there are gameplay changes. I believe the Genesis version made some parts easier (and your health decreases slower), and the Sega CD version restored those changes back to the Amiga difficulty, but made some other changes with item placement and stuff like that. A couple of areas were changed; for example, the little section early on where you ride a lift up to an area where you let a beast-thing out of its cage, is out in the open on Genesis and Amiga, and the Sega CD version shows it being inside a building. The Sega CD version also gives you 5 continues (the others having no continues). It also has added video sequences and voiced dialogue. The main weapon is kind of gimped though; it swings like a mace instead of shooting straight forward, and doesn't reach as far. The music, to answer your question, is much better, due to being CD quality, but also due to having a larger number of tracks. The Amiga version had one tune that got really old, and the Genesis music is kind of crappy. Lastly, they gave the main sprite more clothes for some reason. I guess male nipples are too much for the Sega CD to handle.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Thread Information