Quantcast

Thread: Game Gear appreciation thread

Proud 16-bit War Veteran ESWAT Veteran David J.'s Avatar

Default Game Gear appreciation thread

If the Gameboy can have one, why not the loveable GG?

I know many hated it due to it's size, crappy screen and awful battery life, but it was a great little handheld that deserves more respect.

I think I've spent more hours with Battletoads, the Shinobi games, Sonic Chaos and Wonderboy that I care to admit! There's a few stinkers, but I own a handful of great games. Games in bold are the stinkers.

Aerial Assault
    Aladdin
    Arena Maze of Death
    Ax Battler
    BattleToads
    Columns
    Dr. Robotonik’s Mean Bean Machine
    Garfield Caught in the Act
    GG Shinobi
    GG Shinobi 2
    G-loc Air Battle
    Klax
    Sonic Blast
    Sonic Chaos
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Surf Ninjas
    The Adams Family
    The Lion King
    Wonderboy
    Woody Pop
    Vampire Master of Darkness

Surf Ninjas was a wreck, The Adams Family was pretty daff and hard, and Garfield was a pain to look at and very dull. Games I still hope to get are:

Batman Returns
    Fantasy Zone Gear
    Joe Montana Football
    Marble Madness
    Ninja Gaiden
    Shining Force (whatever the subtitle was)
    Super Columns

For those wondering Batman Returns plays and sounds a lot like the GG shinobi games, it appears they shared a lot of code. Play them on a real hardware or emulator and you'll see what I am getting at.
    The smell of scorched oil hangs in the air as a premonition of danger, while the engine gloriously shouts its war cry...

Throughout history, suspicion has always bred conflict. The real conflict, though, resides in people's hearts. This conflict has just begun.

nes x-men nes x-men nes x-men

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

I thought the GG version of Battletoads was highly disappointing.

That said, Game Gear is a lovely little handheld. I just wish Sega had made some sort of "Mega Gear" adapter so I could play GG games on a TV through a Genesis. (Yes I've seen the tv mod at smspower, and it's far too complicated for me to attempt).

My current GG collection is pretty small, but I hope to build it up this year. Almost every game for the system is cheap, so it shouldn't be too hard.

I have:
    Dynamite Headdy
    Halley Wars
    Jurassic Park
    Lemmings
    The Lost World: Jurassic Park
    Ristar
    Sonic Chaos
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    Star Wars

Some of my favorites back in the day were Sonic Triple Trouble, Tempo Jr., Ninja Gaiden, Vampire, Defenders of Oasis, Shinobi 2, Ax Battler, Super Columns, and Tails Adventure.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

There were three Shining games on the Game Gear. . .
    3 games which are now being re-released for japanese mobile phones.

Maybe Sega should try a DS multi-pack?

Hooligans of the Night...Eat, Game, and be Merry
    The Game Collection

My all-time favourite Gamegear titles would definitely be Ristar and Shining Force II: The Sword of Hajya. Defenders of Oasis was.. interesting, but I seem to remember it saving after every step you took, and that put me in some extraordinarily tight situations. The GG Sonics are obviously neat games, and I really enjoyed the three X-Men releases. Still, I don't think I'll be rebuying a Gamegear anytime soon.. there's some good stuff for it, and damn are games ever cheap, but I don't have that many fond memories of it.

The gamegear had some pretty awesome games and it's RPG's were good. Especially the three SF ones. Unfotunately only the Sword of Hajya was brought away from Japan. The Sega CD remake translates the First Gaiden though, and there's been a patch released for the last, and best one, Final Conflict.

I wouldn't count on Sega to do anything right. Ever since Sammy bought them they've been terrible.
    weasels you pansy

uh...

Where's Defenders of Oasis on those lists!

I really wish Sega had redesigned the thing for better battery life and a more compact size, rather than release the Nomad. The GG could of been a contender had it been handled right.

Raging in the Streets

Quote Originally Posted by Demonic Weasel
    The gamegear had some pretty awesome games and it's RPG's were good. Especially the three SF ones. Unfotunately only the Sword of Hajya was brought away from Japan. The Sega CD remake translates the First Gaiden though, and there's been a patch released for the last, and best one, Final Conflict.

I wouldn't count on Sega to do anything right. Ever since Sammy bought them they've been terrible.
    ...uh, Sammy haven't made any major business decisions for Sega so far. And looking at sales figures, they're doing anything but terribly.

The Game Gear - another Sega console that should have blown the competition out of the water, but didn't to any major degree.

Sammy hasn't actually done anything themselves other than brainwash the staff at Sega into becoming corporate morons who immediately say, "Oh I know what will work! Let's make a hack'n'slash game out of an older series to lure in old fans as well as the masses!"
    weasels you pansy

uh...

Some smart Sega moves/marketing choices (that used to be an oxymoron) and original products since Sammy:
    iDog (& iFish)
    Rub Rabbits!
    Total War
    Yakuza
    Shenmue
    Tower SP
    Feel the Magic
    Chromehounds
    Super Monkey Ball
    PSO
    Condemned: Criminal Origins

As for working with classics: all I really wanted in life was Gunstar on my GBA and SMS games on my MP3 Player. Thank god Sega is focusing on classics.

Thread Information