Quantcast

Thread: Sega SG-1000 and SC-3000

(formerly known as 5233) Master of Shinobi Jeckidy's Avatar

Default Sega SG-1000 and SC-3000

Does anyone own either of these consoles? SG-1000 was Sega's first console released back in 1983 before the Master System and the SMS was backwards compatible with them (or at least the Japanese SMS/Mark III). I have only gotten a chance to play them through emulation. They look a little more like ZX Spectrum titles graphically, but some are enjoyable like Hustle Chumy.
    "You do not see the world as it is, you see the world as you are."

I don't think the SG-1000 was ever officialy released in the US, but there was this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telegames_Personal_Arcade And of course, there's importing.

Tech wise, I think it's almost identical to the ColecoVision, except for a bit more RAM. (hence the dual compatible system mentioned above)
    6 days older than SEGA Genesis
    -------------
    Quote Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
    Dude it’s the bios that marries the 16 bit and the 8 bit that makes it 24 bit. If SNK released their double speed bios revision SNK would have had the world’s first 48 bit machine, IDK how you keep ignoring this.
    the PCE, that system has no extra silicone for music, how many resources are used to make music and it has less sprites than the MD on screen at once but a larger sprite area?

(formerly known as 5233) Master of Shinobi Jeckidy's Avatar

I knew of that, but the only one on ebay is rather expensive. Aren't the games also compatible on the Master System (provided you have a converter or whatever)?
    "You do not see the world as it is, you see the world as you are."

JP Mark III and Master System has a cart slot that's compatibile with SG-1000 carts, different from Western Master Systems. I don't know about an adaptor though, probably an adaptor for Japanese SMS carts for US/EU SMS's would work, but I've never seen one of those.

I think some SMS games were actually direct ports of SG-1000 games, like F-16 possibly.

And I think SG-1000 card games might be compatible with the US/EU SMS's card slot.
    6 days older than SEGA Genesis
    -------------
    Dude it’s the bios that marries the 16 bit and the 8 bit that makes it 24 bit. If SNK released their double speed bios revision SNK would have had the world’s first 48 bit machine, IDK how you keep ignoring this.
    the PCE, that system has no extra silicone for music, how many resources are used to make music and it has less sprites than the MD on screen at once but a larger sprite area?

Don't bother with one of those personal Arcade clones, I have had one for years and they are ULTRA CRAP, they are very flaky to get working and the controllers are unresponsive and will make your hands hurt.

BTW the PA is compatible with the SG and the Colecivision, the console that the SG most closely resembles architecturally.
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

I have a Mark III Master System, a couple Gam*Boys, SG-1000 carts, cards and some SG-1000 Gam*Boy games. The SG-1000 is pretty cool and it would've been very impressive to have had it in North America during the pre-NES days.

Any console with a game called "Dragon Wang" is awesome by default.

Groovin' Reporter Wildside Expert Falxix's Avatar

Don't forget Girls Garden, Yuji Naka's first game.

Thread Information