Quantcast

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Fatal Fury 2

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Sega Genesis View Post
    I was just happy to get a port at the time. Looking back they should have made this 32 mega. It would have helped with the animations.
    Nop...
    I don't think that, programmed like it was in this case, Genesis could handle more animation sprites without noticeable slowdown... Remember that NeoGeo 68K is running @12MHz and Genesis's @7.67MHz.
    NeoGeo also uses faster rom chips, so, even if NeoGeo cartridge was a "regular" one like Genesis's or SNES's it would still be faster.
    Furthermore, the NeoGeo cartridge slot is so much powerful, and using all the components inside those beast-freakin-expensive-huge cartridges it produces a phenomenal bandwidth... There are brutal differences comparing it to Genesis side of things...
    A 32MBit cartridge could provide the cut out bonus stages and all arcade samples (with better quality than the 24MBit port maybe); but not much more than that.

Banned by Administrators

...ope

So the game can't have better animation? Look at SSF2. 40 mega with better animations with more characters and induvidual endings. I guess it's just a crap lazy port.

Come on man....this game is NOT that bad.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Sega Genesis View Post
    ...ope

So the game can't have better animation? Look at SSF2. 40 mega with better animations with more characters and induvidual endings. I guess it's just a crap lazy port.
    I said "programmed like it was in this case".
    You can't compare Takara's engine to Capcom's engine. Who is better when it comes to (anything) fighting games?
    Anyway, that 40MBit is somehow unnecessary, 'cause all the game data is decompressed... SSF2 colors are worse than SF2CEPlus. The voice quality in even worse. I really don't think that SSF2 is a good example o "better usage of rom space".
    Of course, Takara's port is worse. 'Cause Takara really sucks!

@Curryman123

NOT that good too.

Compare it with Samurai Shodown port by Saurus (a part of SNK). SS port, even lacking Earthquake (due to its huge sprites that no other 16-bit machine than NeoGeo could handle without a major slowdown - don't tell me about the SNES port by Takara 'cause the fighters look like pocket fighters!) it is so much better...

Compare the SS Genesis port by Saurus with the SS SNES port by Takara and you will see the difference.

On the SNES side, you still can compare any Takara port with the great port of Power Instinct (done by Atlus, the same that developed the original arcade version).

Futhermore, any Sculptured Software port of a fighting game is superior to any Takara port of a fighting game.
    Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 and WWF Wrestlemania Arcade on the Genesis show that very clearly.

Road Rasher

Billy Kane and Lawrence Blood no longer have their original Desperation Attacks in the Sega Genesis port. In the Neo Geo, SNES, and PC Engine CD versions, Billy Kane's staff weapon would light on fire when he spun it. He would then throw the fire which could hit the opponent and take out a good portion of the opponent's energy bar. In the Genesis/Mega Drive port, Billy Kane jumps toward the opponent and places the staff vertically on the ground, creating Terry Bogard's Power Geyser when the weapon makes contact with the ground. In the Neo Geo, SNES, and PC Engine CD versions, Lawrence Blood's Desperation Attack involved him doing multiple slashes with his sword. In the Genesis version, he stabs his opponent repeatedly instead. I don't know why Takara would choose to do that.

The Genesis version of this game also seems to be more difficult than its SNES counterpart. The A.I. can be pretty cheap at times; this is very noticable when fighting the four boss characters, though I guess that is to be expected because, well, they're the bosses. Kim Kaphwan and Jubei Yamada were kind of difficult to beat with certain characters. The Genesis version also includes individual ending pictures and text for each of the four boss characters, whereas the SNES version of Fatal Fury 2 has the same ending image with different text on the bottom of the screen. In Fatal Fury Special on the Super Nintendo, each boss character was given their own ending picture. Ryo Sakazaki (the secret sixth boss) is the only exception because it doesn't show an ending picture when you beat the game with him.

The Cat in the Hat Hero of Algol NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I don't know why Takara would choose to do that.
    No? Seems pretty simple to me, they did it to conserve rom space.

No big-ass animated fire circle or separate sword sprites = less rom space used.

Banned by Administrators

One thing this game has that beats all other genesis/md fighters. Super Moves in the form of desperation moves. In my opinion that is what still keeps this game as one of the top fighters for the console.

The medium-sized mang. Raging in the Streets Lastcallhall's Avatar

This game, more specifically FF Special, was always a close second or third (the other being the MK franchise) in my eyes, right behind the mighty SF II machine in the early 90s. I used to waste so many quarters at the bowling alley on the military base while my dad was at the gym working out on this game, it was unreal. I used to know several characters' desperation moves, I could beat almost anyone at the time, cheap CPU included. I was so stoked when I heard these games were coming out for the Genesis and Sega CD, I started saving my quarters right then and there. I wound up buying both FF2 and FF Special for the SNES, and FF 2 and FF special for the Sega CD as they came out. Overall, I'd definitely agree that the Genesis version of FF2 is harder than Either SNES port, but the FF Special CD port is just brutal, and not in the good way. Man, talk about tough...

Road Rasher

Response to Sega Genesis.
    I agree. I like how Takara added the Dip Switch settings code (as some people call it) which allowed you to create easier juggle combos and added 48 costume colors for each character! To access this, quickly enter the command for Terry Bogard's Desperation Move when the Takara logo appears (Down, down back, back, down back, forward + Y button.) You will hear Terry's voice say "Geyser!" if you did it right. Go to the options screen and select Test. A new option will appear with a lot of 0's and 1's. Depending on how you set the number combinations, you can do stuff you wouldn't normally be able to such as being able to use Desperation Attacks at anytime during the fight. To access the additional costume colors, enter the Dip Switch code. When you get to the character select screen, hold Start and press B. While holding B, you can press left, right, up or down to get a different colored costume for your character.

Ive got the Pal Australian version of this, in near mint condition with the warranty card... but no instructions. I WANT THE DAMN INSTRUCTIONS!

I remember that on a video store I used to go they had a Neo Geo which was almost always playing FF2, and when I learned about this conversion (it didn't got reviewed by the magazines I read: found out a about it in my nearest video store), I rented it as soon as I could. I have to say that I only thing I actually missed from the MVS version was the awesome intro.
    So, yes, I think this is a good conversion. We got all the characters - albeit the four bosses are only accessible by doing the easiest cheat code ever - stages and even Krauser's nifty presentation. Sound is competent enough. I really enjoyed this one: in fact I think it's better than, for instance, Eternal Champions (which in turn is not THAT bad of a game).

(formerly known as 5233) Master of Shinobi Jeckidy's Avatar

Managed to score a CIB copy of this on eBay for $10 + 4 shipping. Just below even the loose price, since this one is fairly sought after! Looking forward to rockin' with Terry Bogard's shockwave attack!!

The Cat in the Hat Hero of Algol NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeckidy View Post
    Managed to score a CIB copy of this on eBay for $10 + 4 shipping. Just below even the loose price, since this one is fairly sought after! Looking forward to rockin' with Terry Bogard's shockwave attack!!
    Not bad, don't forget to open it up to see if its the real deal and not a bootleg.

Thread Information