Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: X-Perts

Master of Shinobi Dirt Ball Gamer's Avatar

I think Light Crusader is a pretty great game. Not disagreeing with you as I think they should have brought both over.

I think it would be possible that the game might have been created with worldwide distribution in mind. Its visuals look very American to begin with. Much like many early Japanese Sega games (Golden Axe being the prime example).
    Yeah that probably is why that game has western look and the game itself is mediocre at best.

So yeah, licensing issues and the fact that anime wasn't profitable or popular in the U.S at the time is why YYH wasn't released.
    Licensing issues should'nt be a problem SoA altered the Fist of Northstar very heavily. The main selling point for YYH was its 4 player mode which was unheard of on home consoles. There were tons of those games in the arcade but none on the home consoles outside of mainly sports games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

Part of YYH's appeal was its characters and backgrounds. SoA would've had to alter quite a bit to bring it over to the U.S, and I seriously doubt that they would've gone through all of that effort at that point in the Genesis' life.

I assume that their main motivation behind altering Japanese games based on anime (i.e Last Battle, Mystic Defender) was because, early on the Genesis needed all of the games they could get their hands on. Notice how later on this practice stopped.

YYH was released in Brazil, though (as Yu Yu Hakusho: Sunset Fighters).

TecToy must've figured it was worth the effort of bringing it over then I guess. It was probably easier for them seeing as the game was old and the anime and manga had wrapped up when they released it.

I'm glad SoA didn't bother. Look at what happened when that SNES Ranma 1/2 fighting game was completely stripped of its license and likenesses ("Street Combat"). Then again the game was shitty to begin with but still........

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    This game was so bad that even its producer wanted to kill it, but Sega had spent so much money on it that it was released.
    I do wonder how it would have turned out if Mike Latham had been left in charge and not promoted at that time. By his own admission, the producer that took over knew nothing about fighting games. It reminds me of Rise of the Robots a bit where it was a nice tech demo, but you just get the feeling that no one developing it knew anything about how fighting games were supposed to play.

Master of Shinobi

Been playing a bit of this lately, and I've got a few observations.

Firstly, I don't think this is quite bad enough for a 1/10 score. Is the game a stinker? Yes, but IMO it's still a whole lot more playable than something like Heavy Nova (which somehow was given 5/10). The core concept of having to control a team was a good one that was unfortunately let down by a lack of depth to the gameplay. It also leads to an element of frustration when all three characters are alive: they will fight while they aren't selected, but as they often get their asses handed to them you can't leave them alone for too long. It can actually be easier to play with a character dead, as you have to do less hand holding.

Shadow was supposed to be the main character, right? Why does she suck then? Zachary and Tashile can respectively hack computers and machines faster than other characters while Shadow, on the other hand, seems to have no special ability. She is slow as hell at any hacking or repairing tasks, which I guess would be understandable if she was stronger in combat. The problem is that she doesn't seem to do or more damage or be able to take more of a beating; in particular, when you aren't controlling her she seems to get trashed by enemies the fastest of the three characters, though I admit that I'm not sure of this. Maybe she was supposed to have some kind of purpose like being used to hold off enemies while the others do the hacking, but because you can only see which enemies are on the same floors as your characters, and you can't have two characters on the same floor, you can't really use her for this.

Was the game actually finished? It's got a textless, creditless, straight back to the Sega logo ending. It has sound glitches, graphic glitches, the scrolling isn't smooth, and it outright locks up on occasion. The whole thing feels very rough around the edges. I know that the Tony Van wanted to kill the game early on but kept going, and that the game was completed by Greg Becksted after Van left Sega, so I wonder if it came to a point where Sega just said "no more time, release what you've got".
    Last edited by Silanda; 03-18-2018 at 06:32 PM.

Master of Shinobi

One more observation from me that might be useful to anyone trying to play this: despite many places saying the contrary, the torture moves work. What gives the impression that they don't is that most people playing the game, including myself until recently, haven't read the manual.

Yes, the moves are performed by pressing direction, direction, A+C (e.g. up, up, A+C), but that's not all - the presses have to be at the correct speed. Basically you have to input the move quite slowly, like, direction - pause - direction - pause - A+C. Do it too quickly and you just kill your opponent, do it too slowly and the move doesn't come out.

Thread Information