Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unreleased Games: "Fireteam Rogue" and "Cybernauts"

Default Unreleased Games: "Fireteam Rogue" and "Cybernauts"

I recently acquired a CIB copy of "Zero Tolerance". Inside, there was a little leaflet announcing upcoming titles by Accolade.

Among these announced games were those two:

Curious since I never had heard about these two titles I did a little research, but came up with hardly anything.

Apparently, Fireteam Rogue was a platformer or a Run'n'Gun-type of game and actually completed but never released. I found a bit of Artwork (thanks to the Internet Archive Wayback Machine) here, but hardly any info on the game itself other than it was announced for both the Genesis and the SNES and was cancelled upon completion. There even exists an image of the SNES box art:

/edit: I've found a video of some gameplay footage as well. Apparently this is from an early Alpha version of the game; there are no enemies and no sound effects, just a character sprite and some backgrounds:

Also, there is a little bit of info over at Snes-Central: http://www.snescentral.com/article.php?id=0113

On Cybernauts there's even less information. It seems like the game was cancelled in 1995, when Prudential Investments placed Peter Harris as the new CEO at Accolade. Apparently it was a Beat'em'up. I could only find a tilemap for one of the stages and one of the characters here...

...as well as a piece of music that was apparently intended for one of the stages, courtesy of Audio and Music producer Rudy Helm (what's funny about this piece of techno music is that it contains a piece of Radio traffic announcement in german):
    http://www.helmproductions.com/rudysmusic/Techno.swf

Weird stuff, but doesn't look nor sound too shabby...

does anyone know more about these two games? Does a leaked prototype exist? (Considering that Fireteam Rogue was assumedly completed this wouldn't be too surprising).
    Last edited by Phantar; 11-02-2009 at 12:22 PM.
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Submitted:
    Champions of Europe (Master System)

Work in progress:
    Reviews:
    Aladdin (Master System)
    Speedball 2 (Master System)
    Features:
    Side-by-Side: Speedball 8bit ports (C64 vs. SMS vs. NES)

not a real fan Raging in the Streets old man's Avatar

Wow, good find. It seems like I remember seeing previews for both games at one time, probably in Nintendo Power. Fire Team Rogue definitely looks like it would have been a cool game.

Yeah, sure does sound interesting... too bad nothing ever came off it apparently
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

Submitted:
    Champions of Europe (Master System)

Work in progress:
    Reviews:
    Aladdin (Master System)
    Speedball 2 (Master System)
    Features:
    Side-by-Side: Speedball 8bit ports (C64 vs. SMS vs. NES)

Grandmaster's Reckoning ESWAT Veteran Knuckle Duster's Avatar

I wish Lufia was finished.

Master of Shinobi

Cybernauts was also known as The New Breed, I've got a magazine around somewhere with a preview of it that seems to have more pics than I've found on the net. I really must scan it if I can dig it out. As far as I can tell there is virtually nothing about it on the net so perhaps the only way to find out more would be to try to contact someone who was involved with the game.

I'm pretty sure there I've read previews for both games, but I can't remember which magazines in ( I have a lot), I'll have a quick blast through a few tomorrow and see what I can find. I think they were in the Official Sega Mag (UK), and I'm pretty sure Fire Team Rogue has been advertised on one of the many game leaflets I own too, although I've never seen the one you have pictured .
    VIEW MY COLLECTION HERE!

Currently Playing: The Bouncer (PS2)

Last game completed: Kingdom Hearts II (PS2)

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by ninjabearhug View Post
    I'm pretty sure there I've read previews for both games, but I can't remember which magazines in ( I have a lot), I'll have a quick blast through a few tomorrow and see what I can find. I think they were in the Official Sega Mag (UK), and I'm pretty sure Fire Team Rogue has been advertised on one of the many game leaflets I own too, although I've never seen the one you have pictured .
    IIRC there was stuff in Mean Machines Sega too. Also, the magazine with more screenshots that I had was Games World (based on that old Sky 1 series), Issue 1 I think.

Death Adder's minion

sounds intresting

Grand Duke of Nukem Master of Shinobi Nunzio's Avatar

Hmmm, Cybernauts has polygonal characters and normal backgrounds?
    S A V E R U S T Y

Sorry for the large bump, but I am writing an article (or rather updating) on Fireteam Rogue on SNES Central, as I have a prototype that is at a later stage than the one I released several years ago. From what I understand, this game was being designed for the Genesis first, then was being ported to the SNES where it would receive graphical upgrading. The mystery is that there has only been prototypes of the SNES version found. I was wondering if anyone in the Sega community has more information on the Genesis version, and perhaps knows if any prototypes of the game have been found.

Raging in the Streets mrbigreddog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by badinsults View Post
    Sorry for the large bump, but I am writing an article (or rather updating) on Fireteam Rogue on SNES Central, as I have a prototype that is at a later stage than the one I released several years ago. From what I understand, this game was being designed for the Genesis first, then was being ported to the SNES where it would receive graphical upgrading. The mystery is that there has only been prototypes of the SNES version found. I was wondering if anyone in the Sega community has more information on the Genesis version, and perhaps knows if any prototypes of the game have been found.
    Was that a Genesis cut down??? He didn't really just say that?!!

Hey, I am only saying what the developers I spoke with told me.

I found a page with some concept art from Cybernauts, if anyone is interested:

http://www.rdwarf.com/users/ruggels/...cybernaut.html

Quote Originally Posted by badinsults View Post
    That's really interesting news, especially considering all of the previews I read raved about the Mode-7 flight missions. I wonder how much different the Genesis flight stages were, or if they were featured at all.

I remember first stumbling on info on Fireteam Rogue in the August '95 issue of Game Players and being very impressed with the large, detailed sprites. It looks solid enough, I wonder why exactly it was scrapped so late in its development.

Quote Originally Posted by deadpixels View Post
    That's really interesting news, especially considering all of the previews I read raved about the Mode-7 flight missions. I wonder how much different the Genesis flight stages were, or if they were featured at all.

I remember first stumbling on info on Fireteam Rogue in the August '95 issue of Game Players and being very impressed with the large, detailed sprites. It looks solid enough, I wonder why exactly it was scrapped so late in its development.
    Would it be possible for you to scan that article? Retromags doesn't have that issue in their database.

Thread Information