Wikipedia's 29 million is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by zebbe
    Genesis: 19 million
    European Mega Drive: 9 million
    Japanese Mega Drive: 3.58 million
    Majesco's sales: 2 million
    Nomad: 1 million
    Brazil: 2 million

That's 36.58 million. But what's missing?

Australia (Ozisoft handled it)
    South Korea (Samsung handled it)
    India
    Other Asia
    So if we assume they sold 1 million in each of those regions, we have 40.58 million units sold.

This is Wikipedia's sole source for the 29 million number.
    http://www.wired.com/gaming/gamingre...story?slide=21

It's not exactly sturdy.
    We can give them a better source, with better, more accurate numbers.
    Last edited by PimpUigi; 11-29-2009 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Venture View Post
    It's not "I like big boobies, where's a pic of Jennifer Love Hewitt!" it's "I like big boobies, and this Sonic character has them. Score!!"

The question is though:

Where did Zebbe get his numbers from?

29 million does sound a little low though.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!
    Quote Originally Posted by llj View Post
    Count me as someone who never liked the Turbo/Hyper Fighting iterations of Street Fighter 2. The speed ups always struck me as too "Benny Hill".

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

PimpTaxi is real 2401 Master of Shinobi PimpUigi's Avatar

I got some more info on something else of interest, while trying to get more info on this.

Sega Genesis - US Hardware & Software Revenue in millions of dollars (inlcuding Sega CD, and Sega 32X)
    Not inlcuding Sega Nomad, Sega CDX, JVC X'Eye, the Genesis 3, or software sold by Majesco in 1997-1999
    1989 - $182
    1990 - $280
    1991 - $586
    1992 - $1,151
    1993 - $1,938
    1994 - $1,812 (end of 16 bit era Total - $5,949)
    1995 - $812
    1996 - $294
    1997 - $180
    Total - $7,235

vs.

Super NES - US Hardware & Software Revenue in millions of dollars
    1991 - $560
    1992 - $1,733
    1993 - $1,890
    1994 - $1,471 (end of 16 bit era Total - $5,654)
    1995 - $823
    1996 - $514
    1997 - $243 (end of Sega total - $7,234)
    1998 - $137
    1999 - $20
    Total - $7,391

These numbers pretty much prove that Sega was ahead in the US market in dollars until the end of 1997, when the Sega Genesis model 2, and new software could no longer be found in American stores.

Especially considering they're making more money, while SNES costs more, so Nintendo would certainly be making more money if they were selling more units, this also pretty much proves that the Genesis was selling more units in NA until it's discontinuation.
    Last edited by PimpUigi; 12-09-2009 at 06:04 AM.

It's not "I like big boobies, where's a pic of Jennifer Love Hewitt!" it's "I like big boobies, and this Sonic character has them. Score!!"

Extremely Pessimistic Majesco Revenue possibility
    System sales (2 million @ $30 each, the lowest the system was priced [$50 originally, then $40, then finally $30 the last few months])

$60 million

Software sales (10 million @ $10 each, the lowest games were priced [Majesco priced them at $10-$25 each])

$100 million

Total - $160 million

End of 1999 total - $7395 (still not counting Nomad, JVC X'Eye, or the Sega CDX)
    Last edited by PimpUigi; 01-05-2010 at 07:46 PM.

wow! Extensive collection! (though I think the numbers would be higher, the South American market outh to be bigger and the South american numbers seem to be a tad low... nevertheless, impressive )
    The funny thing about an oxymoron is, even if you remove the ox, there'll always be a moron. The Question Remains: Y?

In their 1999 Video Game Buyer's Guide (the last Buyer's Guide to cover dead or dying consoles, such as the Genesis, SNES & Saturn), it was mentioned that the Genesis had sold 14 Million units as of that time, while the SNES had sold 22 Million.

While Genesis sold briskly well into 1995, and benefited a bit from Majesco's re-release campeign with the Genny 3 and the cartridge re-prints, SNES arguably experienced its biggest sales success towards the second half of its life with "Donkey Kong Country" and the like, and blew right past the Genesis.

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

whatever helps you sleep at night
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

Quote Originally Posted by Aarzak View Post
    Genesis had sold 14 Million units as of that time, while the SNES had sold 22 Million.
    That also happens to be in the NA source I've linked.

Hmm, I see the topic was moved.
    Dang.

Man you still on this sh!t lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

Remember that the Genesis is still selling in SA.

with several quality new releases in the last few years and all the new (officially liscensed) hand held clones(some that play actual genny carts) and not to mention this juggernaut of a fansite(such a force that its almost wrong to call it that) that is sega-16, i think its safe to argue that the genesis/mega drive has officially had the last laugh. the sales numbers dont show how much more heart the genesis had than the snes and its that heart that has shined through the last 10 years much unlike the long dead snes(which is still a quality console that i play all the time)
    I don't play old stuff for nostalgia, I play old stuff because the games are better.
    -Drakon

It still sells in the Middle East too, apparently outselling all other consoles.
    According to Wikipedia at least.

im sure if they re released the nes, genny and snes in retail stores they would sell pretty damn good. especially the nes anytime someone comes over to my house and sees my still operational nes they get so excited fallowed by tremendously jelous then i can see a look of emptyness in there eyes when they realize they have to go home and play there 360 some people i actually worry about breaking in my house and stealing it. sometimes i can see that they want one that bad. they should release an aniversary edition with a few select games im sure either of those 3 systems would sell pretty well in retail stores.
    I don't play old stuff for nostalgia, I play old stuff because the games are better.
    -Drakon

Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    wow! Extensive collection! (though I think the numbers would be higher, the South American market outh to be bigger and the South american numbers seem to be a tad low... nevertheless, impressive )
    I'd immagine those figures don't count TecToy's sales, undoubtedly a rather high portion. (which continue to this day)

Quote Originally Posted by Aarzak View Post
    In their 1999 Video Game Buyer's Guide (the last Buyer's Guide to cover dead or dying consoles, such as the Genesis, SNES & Saturn), it was mentioned that the Genesis had sold 14 Million units as of that time, while the SNES had sold 22 Million.

While Genesis sold briskly well into 1995, and benefited a bit from Majesco's re-release campeign with the Genny 3 and the cartridge re-prints, SNES arguably experienced its biggest sales success towards the second half of its life with "Donkey Kong Country" and the like, and blew right past the Genesis.
    That doesn't mesh at all with Sega vs Nintendo's revinue figures in post #3.
    6 days older than SEGA Genesis
    -------------
    Quote Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
    Dude it’s the bios that marries the 16 bit and the 8 bit that makes it 24 bit. If SNK released their double speed bios revision SNK would have had the world’s first 48 bit machine, IDK how you keep ignoring this.
    Quote Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
    the PCE, that system has no extra silicone for music, how many resources are used to make music and it has less sprites than the MD on screen at once but a larger sprite area?

It's certainly true for Japan though.
    SNES just blasted on forth with DKC at the helm.

I hate hearing about how MK2 helped (which people usually write, and Wikipedia won't change their SNES article about) when the Genesis version outsold it, 1.78 million to 1.51 million.

Thread Information