Quantcast

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Genesis' real sale numbers.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PimpUigi View Post

I also came up with some Majesco revenue data (this is my own speculation, it's not sourced or anything)

Extremely Pessimistic Majesco Revenue possibility
    System sales (2 million @ $30 each, the lowest the system was priced [$50 originally, then $40, then finally $30 the last few months])
    I would think that official hardware is the deciding factor here. We have so many SNES, NES and Genesis clones out now, that the numbers would be all over the place if they were included.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

PimpTaxi is real 2401 Master of Shinobi PimpUigi's Avatar

While I agree with that completely, I don't agree that we shouldn't count Majesco, they produced games and everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Venture View Post
    It's not "I like big boobies, where's a pic of Jennifer Love Hewitt!" it's "I like big boobies, and this Sonic character has them. Score!!"

That and a fair amount of hardware thay sold was actually manufatured by Sega. (christuserloeser pointed out the sega motherboards in some Genesis 3s)

However, TecToy might be a different issue, they made/make their own games and systems as well, but ARE still doing so today, so it's funky.
    6 days older than SEGA Genesis
    -------------
    Quote Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
    Dude it’s the bios that marries the 16 bit and the 8 bit that makes it 24 bit. If SNK released their double speed bios revision SNK would have had the world’s first 48 bit machine, IDK how you keep ignoring this.
    the PCE, that system has no extra silicone for music, how many resources are used to make music and it has less sprites than the MD on screen at once but a larger sprite area?

I got some more info on something else of interest, while trying to get more info on this.

Sega Genesis - US Hardware & Software Revenue in millions of dollars (inlcuding Sega CD, and Sega 32X)
    Not inlcuding Sega Nomad, Sega CDX, JVC X'Eye, the Genesis 3, or software sold by Majesco in 1997-1999
    1989 - $182
    1990 - $280
    1991 - $586
    1992 - $1,151
    1993 - $1,938
    1994 - $1,812 (end of 16 bit era Total - $5,949)
    1995 - $812
    1996 - $294
    1997 - $180
    Total - $7,235

vs.

Super NES - US Hardware & Software Revenue in millions of dollars
    1991 - $560
    1992 - $1,733
    1993 - $1,890
    1994 - $1,471 (end of 16 bit era Total - $5,654)
    1995 - $823
    1996 - $514
    1997 - $243 (end of Sega total - $7,234)
    1998 - $137
    1999 - $20
    Total - $7,391

These numbers pretty much prove that Sega was ahead in the US market in dollars until the end of 1997, when the Sega Genesis model 2, and new software could no longer be found in American stores.

Especially considering they're making more money, while SNES costs more, so Nintendo would certainly be making more money if they were selling more units, this also pretty much proves that the Genesis was selling more units in NA until it's discontinuation.
    I think I PM'd you a while back without response, but I'll ask here:

What's the source for those revenue figures?
    6 days older than SEGA Genesis
    -------------
    Dude it’s the bios that marries the 16 bit and the 8 bit that makes it 24 bit. If SNK released their double speed bios revision SNK would have had the world’s first 48 bit machine, IDK how you keep ignoring this.
    the PCE, that system has no extra silicone for music, how many resources are used to make music and it has less sprites than the MD on screen at once but a larger sprite area?

This seems to match the figures (albeit the numbers for Genesis, 32X and Sega-CD are separate)

http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/g...Videogames.pdf

It attributes the figures to "IDC, Gerard Klauer Mattison & Co., and case writer estimates"

I did actually run into some revenue figures a few months ago but I didn't make note of them like I usually do I remember thinking that they didn't perfectly match the ones from here, though I think the disparity was not that big.

A Light In The Building. Master of Shinobi

Genesis Consoles Sold In North America

1989-1994: 18.0 million |Source|
    1995: 2.0 million |Source|
    1996: 1.1 million |Source|
    1997: 0.4 million |Source|
    1998: 1.5 million (sold by Majesco with royalties paid to Sega) |Source|

Total: 23.0 million (crediting Majesco) or 21.5 million (not crediting Majesco)

Amazing work.

Plus, your source for Majesco numbers is actually wrong. It predicts 1.5 million.
    There's already a 2005 source on Wikipedia that says they sold 2 million.
    Plus I'm pretty sure it sold during 1999 as well and not just 1998. Not sure though.

Well it again confirms what everyone already knew, Genesis outsold the SNES in America.
    Last edited by PimpUigi; 11-04-2010 at 06:39 AM.

It's not "I like big boobies, where's a pic of Jennifer Love Hewitt!" it's "I like big boobies, and this Sonic character has them. Score!!"

Raging in the Streets A Black Falcon's Avatar

Looking at those articles, actually the 1994 one says "almost 18 million", so that number would be a bit less than that. The 1995 one says "more than 2 million", so that one's high.

Basically though, if we believe these numbers, whether the Genesis or SNES sold better during the '90s is almost entirely dependent on how many systems Majesco sold, because the SNES sold 23.35 million in North America according to Nintendo, while the Genesis sold 23-23.5 million, depending on if the Genesis 3 was 1.5 or 2 million.

I know from articles I've seen (wish I could find them) that I think Majesco said that in 1998 the Genesis definitely outsold the SNES, though the SNES had been selling better for several years before that. So the public perception that the SNES won makes some sense -- outside of Majesco, it did. And I could see someone saying that the Genesis 3 only sort of counts, in a way, because of how the system was pretty much dead at that point, because there weren't games still coming out -- Majesco's Frogger was the only game released that year, and they released it on SNES too (where it was also the only game released that year) -- but still, it's there.

Oh, as for the Nomad, I still don't really find that "1 million" number very credible, of course, the article it's from is full of bad numbers. All any of these articles have to say about it is "Nomad, Sega's 16-bit color portable unit which was introduced in limited distribution in November 1995, also sold very well.", so really we have no idea how well it sold... but considering that the article does say that in 1995 the Game Gear sold 900,000 systems in the US, I guess it's technically possible that the Nomad managed 1 million before going out, but 1996 was definitely not as good a year for Sega handhelds as 1995, not with how after 1995 they cut back so much on games for both the Genesis and GG...

Still though, it sold something, so yes if we count it the Genesis 1/2 + 3 + Nomad number does look like it's higher than Nintendo's, provided that we believe that "18 million" source.

I mean, I do believe it, it's a report from Sega, but considering that different older articles out there seem to contradict eachother, some people might question it.

23.35 is N&S America. Not simply North America.
    And we know SNES did sell in Brazil for sure, if not in other countries down there as well.

I bought my Nomad new, direct from Sega in 1999 or 2000.
    It's extremely likely they manufactured 1 million Nomads, so that is one million Nomads.
    According to Game Over (the book) that's how Nintendo counted their systems, unlike Sega at the time.

I also think it's likely that 665,000 32X's is all they ever made.
    Since they initially said they were making 600,000 - and the 665,000 number is for the fiscal year of 1994, which ends in mid 1995, and by then the 32X was abandoned.

So anyway, it's a reliable source that says 2 million Majesco, same source for the 2 million Tec Toy.
    This makes it 26.5 million for N&S America.

I've run into that source at the top before, but I could never make much sense out of it.

I take it that it would indicate something like 3-4 million sales in Canada up until 1994? because we know for a fact that the US was at 14 million at the end of 1994. 4 Million sounds like a bit much for Canada to me, but then I don't know a lot about the Canadian market size so I guess it could be right.

But then if the Canadian market is a good size then that kind of throws the SNES figures out of whack as they should be much higher (the only other explanation being that the SNES was a huge failure in Canada, which is something I've never heard before and sounds unlikely)

In the US both consoles were ~15 million early in 1995 (pretty sure Genesis was only just 15 million whilst SNES was probably nearly reaching 16 million), and the SNES outsold the Genesis in the US for the next 3 years in a row (with Genesis shortages in 1997 notably hurting sales) so the SNES almost certainly outsold the Genesis in the US. If the Genesis sold ~22 million in the US, and the SNES outsold it, then there's nothing left over for the rest of "the America's" in that 23.3 million figure.

It would be interesting to know the popularity breakdown in Canada compared to the US.

And we know SNES did sell in Brazil for sure, if not in other countries down there as well.
    Taking into account that a decent 2 million is regarded as a huge success in Brazil, I think we can safely say that SNES sales in South America were negligible, seeing as the system was not only completely overshadowed in South America's biggest market by the Mega Drive, but in pretty much all of those countries was plagued by masses of illegal SNES clone systems.
    Last edited by Thenewguy; 11-04-2010 at 09:17 PM.

ding-doaw Raging in the Streets tomaitheous's Avatar

Then why can't we separate them and just get NA. That's all I personally care about, if that. Combining North America with South American makes about as much sense as combining Russia's numbers with China's numbers.

Yeah but Russia and China's numbers are combined...Other

If only Nintendo had done what we all would have liked, and released their numbers by proper region.

NA
    EU
    JP
    Other

No...
    They had to
    Americas
    Other
    JP

Lamers.

A Light In The Building. Master of Shinobi

Here's some additional Genesis sales numbers that I stumbled across:

1989-1990: 1.2 million |Source|
    1991: 1.6 million |Source|
    1992: 4.5 million |Source|
    1993: 5.5 million |Source|
    1994: 4.0+ million |Source|

I bought my Nomad new, direct from Sega in 1999 or 2000.
    Do you still have it?

I also think it's likely that 665,000 32X's is all they ever made.
    Since they initially said they were making 600,000 - and the 665,000 number is for the fiscal year of 1994, which ends in mid 1995, and by then the 32X was abandoned.
    True for North America, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Thenewguy View Post
    I've run into that source at the top before, but I could never make much sense out of it.

I take it that it would indicate something like 3-4 million sales in Canada up until 1994? because we know for a fact that the US was at 14 million at the end of 1994. 4 Million sounds like a bit much for Canada to me, but then I don't know a lot about the Canadian market size so I guess it could be right.
    You've forgotten that Mexico is also a part of the North American market.
    Last edited by chessage; 11-06-2010 at 05:51 AM.

I have a different Nomad now because the brightness knob on the original fell off.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

This thread is great, chessage I haven't seen any of these articles. This definitely contributes to actual sales figure data on the 16-bit consoles and the 32X.

I would not emphasize which system sold more based on these numbers. From what I have seen all sales figures consider a 10% margin of error acceptable. Production numbers versus actual sales to consumers also always seems to be a fudging point.

Still, awesome links, I'll have to check out this website to see what else they have available, and have saved these links to my hard drive in case they change them.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Thread Information