Quantcast

Thread: Simple Genny3 VA2 mods

Mastering your Systems Hero of Algol TmEE's Avatar

Default Simple Genny3 VA2 mods

I discovered that Genny3 VA2 has lovely TMSS disable/enable function !!! I've highlighted all visible spots of interest and gave brief descriptions too.
    The unknown thing probalby does something with the SDRAM chip, things become unbootable when the position is changed, and its not SMS mode control.
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

my VR cart is dead so I have nothing to test things with...

BTW, is there any info on VA2 regarding SMS mode, GameGenie and whatnot support ? I recall all stuff being for VA0 and VA1..... ?
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Don't you have a 32x to test it with?
    6 days older than SEGA Genesis
    -------------
    Quote Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
    Dude its the bios that marries the 16 bit and the 8 bit that makes it 24 bit. If SNK released their double speed bios revision SNK would have had the worlds first 48 bit machine, IDK how you keep ignoring this.
    Quote Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
    the PCE, that system has no extra silicone for music, how many resources are used to make music and it has less sprites than the MD on screen at once but a larger sprite area?

TmEE: the Genesis 3 (Rev. VA2) Game Genie mode compatibility is fairly simple... Signal B19=pin 154 from the 315-6123 needs to be patched....

Flip around the Gen 3 Rev VA2 mobo ( cartridge connector solder side view ) and there is a single trace almost right in front of pin B19 (this trace comes from the bottom of the Asic to the other side) , that's the one, you can't really miss it...

Just do a continuity check between Asic pin 154 and that trace to easily find it, Although you can't really go wrong there.....

Solder a jumper wire from that trace to B19 and let "the.importer" (another member here) enjoy the Game Genie!.....

And, since you have a good camera, please post a pic, so others know where to find it....Thanks!
    Last edited by ooXxXoo; 11-18-2009 at 10:33 PM.
    φΨήœ μΞΠΰ ε ψώ♪

Also, there is a trace running from pin 154 at the upper side of board, as it can be seen in the pic that you posted ( C42 don't link these 2 solder joints though, one is ground), you can tap B19 from there too, but is much more easy to get it from the bottom, you can choose either way...
    φΨήœ μΞΠΰ ε ψώ♪

Creator of the Mega Amp Raging in the Streets Ace's Avatar

What about the signal for cartridge slot pin B26 that's disconnected from the VA2 motherboard and needed for Virtua Racing compatibility? Where does that go? I need to know in case I get a second VA2 Genesis 3.

Quote Originally Posted by TmEE View Post

I discovered that Genny3 VA2 has lovely TMSS disable/enable function !!!
    Hey, that's neat! I never knew the VA2 Genesis 3 had something to enable and disable TMSS! I think I'm gonna go looking for another VA2 Genesis 3 and tinker around with it(but this time, I'm going to desolder all no-connect pins on the 315-6123 so that I don't cause another massive short like with my first VA2 Genesis 3 should I have to solder directly onto the ASIC).
    HATES ATGAMES WITH A PASSION

Mega Amp: An all-new audio circuit for your Sega Genesis/MegaDrive and clones.

Here's the simple enough version for everyone of the Game Genie fix. I used top side for final fix though, less wire needed :P

Here's the simple enough version for everyone of the Game Genie fix. I used top side for final fix though, less wire needed :P
    You are my new personal hero!

Antiquing Shining Hero QuickSciFi's Avatar

TmEE. You impress me everytime. Your work encourages me to mod my own model 1 myself. Who knows?

Comes out that the TMSS disable will break games larger than 1Mbyte D:

A Light In The Building. WCPO Agent

Comes out that the TMSS disable will break games larger than 1Mbyte D:
    While doing some hardware research, I stumbled across this interesting site that covers each revision of the Sega Pico, including the versions with the 315-6123 ASIC. Instead of merely disconnecting pin 38 from pin 42, it is connected with pin 28. Perhaps this might stop 1+ Megabyte games from crashing. Here's the front and the back of the 1998 revision's main board.

This is interesting, but I got no Genny3 vA2 to mess with anymore....

Thread Information