8 17.78%
  • Nintendo Satellaview

1 2.22%
  • Natal

2 4.44%
  • Wii-Motion Plus

1 2.22%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Video Game Addon FLOP! (Poll)

Raging in the Streets mrbigreddog's Avatar

Default Greatest Video Game Addon FLOP! (Poll)

Last edited by mrbigreddog; 01-04-2010 at 07:26 PM.

You're forgetting some things, also Natal isn't out yet...:

Turbografx-16 CD
    PS1 DVD Player
    Laserdisc Genesis/Sega CD add-on
    Laserdisc Turbografx-16 add-on.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!
    Quote Originally Posted by llj View Post
    Count me as someone who never liked the Turbo/Hyper Fighting iterations of Street Fighter 2. The speed ups always struck me as too "Benny Hill".

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

ding-doaw Raging in the Streets tomaitheous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post

Turbografx-16 CD
    PS1 DVD Player
    Why would the TGCD be considered a failure if the CD format went on to become the dominant format, with much greater number of releases in comparison to its older cart format. It went on to become the main console. IIRC, the OP is referring to failed addons. I.e. which is the worse.

Also, why is the 360 HD-DVD addon on the list? It's not a game extension. It's just for movies. It doesn't fit in the category. Not sure what a PS1 DVD is, but if it's the same - then it also doesn't belong on the list.

Oh, I didn't notice the Xbox HD DVD player! Despite several movies being released in HDDVD format, Blueray was poking it's head from the corner, and ultimately were better in every way, except price!
    I am kind of proud to own one of these with a couple movies, I know they'll be worth something to collectors some day.

The PC Engine CD is quite possibly the most successful add-on of all time, if you extend that to the US market, yeah the Turbo CD and duo were weak, but so was the TG-16 in general. NEC's flopped enhancement was their supergrafx -though that's probably tied to the fact that the hardware was never included with the CD units. (didn't it only get something like 2 games made for it?) The CD unit pretty much succeeded the original card format completely.

As with the 360's HDDVD, the MPEG modules for consoles not using it for games (VCDs rather) would be excluded, but I think CDi may have used it for games, and I'm positive Saturn did.

And the Laseractive asn't an add-on, it was it's own console pretty much, the MD/PC Engine expansion modules were the add-ons.

Since Supergrafx isn't really an add-on that wouldn't be included though. (in fact, had it been an add-on -facilitated by the awsome expansion bus- it may have been a good deal more successful, especially if integerated with a CD unit like Sega did -with a much more limited expansion bus at that)

The Jaguar CD came under bad circumstances and also was on the market very shortly with Sam's heart attack and Atari being liquidated in 1996. (in spite of that, some of the best games, if not the best on the system came out on CD exclusively) And with the very limited popularity of the Jaguar, anything was going to be hard to hit. (unless perhaps thay'd managed to get the duo out, but Sony was ruling the market, Nintendo was pusing in and Atari had missed any possible oppertunity to take advantage of Sega's falling from grace -especially in Europe with Atari Corp's reputation tied to the ST there)

Anyway, I'd have to say it's the N64's DD, released late, probably lost nintendo money overall, and sold horribly.

Had it been a propritary CD drived format, that could have been something, but the crappy ZIP-disc knockoff with capacity no better than the largerst cartridge games combined with questionabl reliability (iirc) made it kind of a joke. (less than the capacity of the inital ZIP or SuperDisk) I mean, if they did go with magetic discs, they could at least have used ones with cpacity closer to CDs, both ZIP and SuperDisk had disc capasities rivaling CDs by that time. (superdisk not so much, but still way closer than 64 MB, at 240 MB)

The advantage to nintendo would be greater control over a propritary format -though that could have been possible on an optical disc as they did eventually with the GC -Sega could have too with GD-ROM had it not been for the CD-R flaw; anyway there's also writability (for save data) avoiding memory cards (though since the N64 had them, that's not really an issue), and I think the drive was cheaper than CD, but I'm not sure. (that would be traded with the more expensive media compared to optical discs however) Making them read-only drives might have saved on costs though. (in fact, I think the SuperDisk format allwed common, 1.44 MB floppies to hold 32 MB, but had to re-write the entire disk when modified -not a problem for read-only; obviouslt nintendo wouldn't have used a standard 3.5" compatible disk form factor -probably not even data format)
    Last edited by kool kitty89; 01-04-2010 at 09:40 PM.
    6 days older than SEGA Genesis
    -------------
    Quote Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
    Dude it’s the bios that marries the 16 bit and the 8 bit that makes it 24 bit. If SNK released their double speed bios revision SNK would have had the world’s first 48 bit machine, IDK how you keep ignoring this.
    the PCE, that system has no extra silicone for music, how many resources are used to make music and it has less sprites than the MD on screen at once but a larger sprite area?

Turbografx-16 CD
    PS1 DVD Player
    Well it only lets you do 10 things on the POLL and the Laserdisc Genesis/Sega CD add-on wasn't an ADDON to an original console, it was a console all itself! PS1 DVD player... that sounds good, not much of a failure i would think... And the Natal, well this is all opinion anyways.... what do you think as/will be the biggest "ADDON" failure!

Done with Sega-16 (sorta) Master of Shinobi

Just why on earth are the Super Game Boy and Game Boy Player on that list? Or Natal for that matter? Natal isn't even out yet so we don't know if it's gonna be a flop or not.

I'll Agree that it's unfair to call Natal a Flop since it hasn't yet been released/

Turbografx-16 CD
    As for the TurboGrafx-16 CD while it wasn't huge success in the US it certainly not a failure, and sold very well in Japan where PC Engine where it was very successful and sold better than the SEGA CD.

The 3 Biggest flops on the list in my opinion in order are: 64DD, Jaguar CD, and Xbox 360 HD DVD

Quote Originally Posted by ApolloBoy View Post
    Just why on earth are the Super Game Boy and Game Boy Player on that list? Or Natal for that matter? Natal isn't even out yet so we don't know if it's gonna be a flop or not.
    Super Game Boy was in Wikipedia as a "Video Game Console Addon" and I agree it's really not... But that made me think of the Game Boy Player, and it's technically an addon....

add-on (adon, -ôn)
    n.
    1. One thing added as a supplement to another.
    2. Computer Science
    a. See add-in.
    b. A hardware device, such as an expansion card, that is added to a computer to increase its capabilities.
    3. An additional amount or charge.

Gameboy player definitely "increases (Gamecube's) capabilities"

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse813 View Post
    I'll Agree that it's unfair to call Natal a Flop since it hasn't yet been released/
    So don't vote for it! Easy enough....
    Last edited by mrbigreddog; 01-04-2010 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse813 View Post
    As for the TurboGrafx-16 CD while it wasn't huge success in the US it certainly not a failure, and sold very well in Japan where PC Engine where it was very successful and sold better than the SEGA CD.
    I think it might have sold better overall than the original base unit or coregrafx (ie total adoption rate plus duo consoles exceeded the card base units) The deciding factor would of course be the duo sales, but give that the CD format completely superceded the cards and had a much larger library (some released on card only in the US I think) shows that it seems probable that the CD sold better. (or if not, it meant that the remaining card-only users were stuck with a limited library available, but maybe that would make sense for budget consumers)
    6 days older than SEGA Genesis
    -------------
    Dude it’s the bios that marries the 16 bit and the 8 bit that makes it 24 bit. If SNK released their double speed bios revision SNK would have had the world’s first 48 bit machine, IDK how you keep ignoring this.
    the PCE, that system has no extra silicone for music, how many resources are used to make music and it has less sprites than the MD on screen at once but a larger sprite area?

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

The GameCube GameBoy Player was actually a pretty awesome add-on, since it played the entire GameBoy line. I didn't use it that much, though... mainly because using a start-up disc was kind of a pain in the ass and (let's face it) portable games look pretty crappy when displayed on a full screen.

Just noticed there's no Famicom Disk system on here either. That was a big flop.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!
    Quote Originally Posted by llj View Post
    Count me as someone who never liked the Turbo/Hyper Fighting iterations of Street Fighter 2. The speed ups always struck me as too "Benny Hill".

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

N64DD got my vote
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Quote Originally Posted by mrbigreddog View Post
    Some of those things aren't even add-ons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

I voted but I forgot to post my vote.

Nintendo 64DD. It had 9 (yes, nine!) games released for it and was discontinued shortly after it was released.

Thread Information