Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flashback: The Quest for Identity

Default Flashback: The Quest for Identity

It's been ported to just about every platform on Earth, but it's always just as grand. Delphine Software's Flashback: The Quest for Identity set a new standard in just how much could fit into a cartridge, and it showed us that a great story, wrapped around excellent gameplay, was the true way to create a classic. Our complete report inside.
    Last edited by Melf; 07-27-2011 at 01:50 PM.

Fabulous game, simply put.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Flashback is definitely one of my favorites. My only beef with the review is that it seems to pretend Out of this World didn't exist...

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Always at work Nameless One extrarice's Avatar

There's very little to the audio experience in Flashback. Music punctuates certain key areas of the game to heighten gameplay, but most of the time, you'll here nothing but ambient noises and other sound effects.
    The lack of music only adds to the suspense and tension. It's like watching The Day of the Jackal (EXCELLENT suspense movie - if you haven't seen it, pick it up) - there is no music, start to finish. Just the suspense and tension of a cat-and-mouse mystery.
    Music done well is an excellent addition to any medium. But just as the use of white space can add to the depth and impact in printed material, the lack of music in Flashback adds to the feeling of isolation and urgency. You become acutely aware of your surroundings and the sounds your character makes as you hope your footfalls go unnoticed by the guards. Flashback is a masterpiece of interactive storytelling.
    A train station is where a train stops.
    A bus station is where a bus stops.
    On my desk I have a workstation...

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

I was never really able to get into Flashback when I was younger. I should try it again sometime. I played the sequel "Fade to Black" which I though was absolutely horrible.

Default Out of This World

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor
    Flashback is definitely one of my favorites. My only beef with the review is that it seems to pretend Out of this World didn't exist...
    I know. In fact, I really don't care much for Flashback; I'd actually prefer Out of This World to it any day. I've played (and I own) both the Sega Genesis and SNES versions of OoTW, and I've always preferred the Sega Genesis version, due to its smoother framerate and slightly better control scheme. (If I'm not mistaken, the Sega Genesis version actually uses three buttons, while the SNES version only uses two, combining the attack and run buttons - I think.)
    [ Web | kevinski.com ] [ Wii | 7030 8283 2535 8378 ]

Devil In A Midnight Mass WCPO Agent Flash1087's Avatar

I loved Out Of This World as a kid and always wanted to play Flashback.

And I'm not entirely sure why I never did, now that I think about it...

Death Adder's minion

I forgot all about this game! I rented it back when it was new and loved it. I haven't played it since, but I've got the rom now and I'm gonna go play the hell out of it.
    Last edited by Anathema; 03-28-2006 at 02:30 AM.

I always prefered the PoP-styled adventure of Flashback over the haphazardous Out of This World.
    Although they're both good games in their own right. It's just that I prefer not having to memorize actions and timings to get through OoTW

Hooligans of the Night...Eat, Game, and be Merry
    The Game Collection

^ You mean to tell me that you've never had to press a complex series of buttons in order to eject yourself from an alien spacecraft just seconds before it's blown to bits in real life? Puh-lease… :P
    [ Web | kevinski.com ] [ Wii | 7030 8283 2535 8378 ]

I hammered this game on Snes. It's the version to play as well. It's like the two versions of Pitfall. Never did finish it. Finished Another World on Megadrive, particularly cool at the time with it's cut scenes that were something of a novelty then. Now days cut scenes are more of a hinderence to gameplay *cough*Metal Gear*cough*. I'd give Flashback a good 8/10.

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

I've always wanted to like Flashback but I still can't quite get into it... I never played the Prince of Persia games much either, so I probably need to get used to the controls much more...

I've used the passwords to warp around but most stages are so obscure, for where to go / what to do...

Anyways sweet animated cutscenes, and strange rotoscoped artwork.

Flashback is one of my favorite games on the Genesis; probably in my top 10. I've tried OotW and could never get into that one. It definitely shares the cinematic quality of Flashback, but deaths seem instant and random, and the controls not as tight. I like the more measured pacing of Flashback. Gameplay is like a smoother, faster moving Blackthorne.

Quote Originally Posted by sketch View Post
    Flashback is one of my favorite games on the Genesis; probably in my top 10. I've tried OotW and could never get into that one. It definitely shares the cinematic quality of Flashback, but deaths seem instant and random, and the controls not as tight. I like the more measured pacing of Flashback. Gameplay is like a smoother, faster moving Blackthorne.
    Rep +1

I completely agree with your opinions on Flashback and OotW. I still enjoy giving Flashback and PoP the occassional playthru, but OotW and Heart of the Alien feel like such a chore to me. Maybe if I had gotten into them BITD, I may have gotten more out of them, but I don't have the time nor the patience to wrap my head around them now.

A classic and i would imagine fondly remembered on all the many systems it appeared on,a game i have on my endless list of games to replay sometime when i get round to it,

Thread Information