PDA

View Full Version : Flawed Favourites

Drixxel
06-08-2006, 02:57 PM
In spite of their sometimes numerous flaws, there are many games that I consider to be favourites. Be it a combination of the blinding powers of nostalgia or continued optimism and the ability to "see the inner good," these are games that manage to have the appeal/fun of their more polished brethren while clearly not on the same level as them, and you're all too aware of it. So, Sega-16 forum comrades, what are some of your flawed favourites?

For me, a few of mine would have to be:

Splatterhouse 2, Genesis - Simplistic gameplay and gimmick violence are somehow transcended by an intangible sort of fun. I think my fondness for this game has more to do with nostalgia than anything else, but I'll sit down to play it every once in awhile and have a genuinely good time, although playing through it is an exercise in tedium.

Gradius III, SNES - I loved this game growing up, and while I still do, the everpresent slowdown and flicker is impossible to put past Gradius III. This is something I was somehow able to ignore when I was seven, but playing Gradius III now after having eaten a healthy diet of shmups not lodged in the soupy mire of slowdown hell makes the game wreak of amateur hour. I dig the game tremendously, but it is seriously flawed.

World Heroes 2, SNES - Sure, it's a shameless SFII clone, and not even a perfect port of its Neo Geo father, but there's just something about World Heroes II. Combat is shallow and relies heavily on imbalanced SFII-styled moves, but the characters have a lot of charm, and I enjoy the trap-ridden, tug-of-war lifebar stages. ..and Mudman is just awesome.

VinnyT
06-08-2006, 05:55 PM
This actually sounds like a good idea for a feature/article!

WE picks games we like, but still talk about their flaws. It'd be a bit harder to write.

Russman
06-08-2006, 06:00 PM
Castlevania IV: Near perfect game that suffers from appaling slowdown throughout.

Worms (Jaguar version). This is a peculiar game, it's basically a port of the PSX game. What's really weird about it is when you enter the joypad controls options menu, the button commands are listed as triangle, square, circle, x...just like the PSX! The Jag doesn't have any of these buttons....it's really weird! I would really like to know the story behind the coding of this game. Also it doesn't have any kind of save feature, so while you can personalize your Worms...it's all for naught if you turn the power off. It still plays and looks the same thankfully.

Drixxel
06-09-2006, 03:57 AM
This actually sounds like a good idea for a feature/article!

WE picks games we like, but still talk about their flaws. It'd be a bit harder to write.

I like the sound of that. It could either be a lengthy article compiling various good yet flawed games accorrding to a single author, or reader submission style like the Roundtables. Either way, you'd be delivered a healthy dose of harsh reality.

Castlevania IV: Near perfect game that suffers from appaling slowdown throughout.

The slowdown has yet to really bother me in Castlevania IV. In fact, I can't even recall any one moment in ol' #4 where slowdown is a concern. Perhaps I still have my Gradius III blinders partially up..

j_factor
06-09-2006, 09:16 PM
All of my favorite games are flawless. That's why they're my favorites.

Russman
06-10-2006, 01:02 AM
The slowdown has yet to really bother me in Castlevania IV. In fact, I can't even recall any one moment in ol' #4 where slowdown is a concern. Perhaps I still have my Gradius III blinders partially up..

The slowdown doesn't bother me either, but it's there and I would enjoy the game even more without it. Slowdown usually doesn't bother me in any game really, in fact it usually is helpful.

Drixxel
06-13-2006, 02:39 AM
All of my favorite games are flawless. That's why they're my favorites.

Alright then, what are some games you like despite their shortcomings? The three games I mentioned aren't among my top ten, but they're still three games that I seriously enjoy regardless of the fact that they suffer from obvious imperfections.

EDIT:

Alien Vs. Predator, Jaguar - The shoddy frame rate is for me the most heinous thing preventing immersion into the game world. The gameplay is great, and while I dig the game most definitely, the level design is blandly repetitive and enemy AI is virtually nonexistant. Even so, it's a game I am very happy to own, as there is a lot to like here.

j_factor
06-13-2006, 10:40 PM
Alright then, what are some games you like despite their shortcomings?

I was just being silly.

But to (begin to) answer your question, I adored Disaster Report (ps2) despite its numerous flaws. It had numerous graphical problems such as framerate drops, aliasing, clipping, and so forth, despite there not being anything with high poly counts or anything to put a strain on the system. It also had a camera that was pretty whacked out at times, and your guy moves too slow. But it's still one of my favorite games of this generation, because of its unique gameplay premise and genius design. Actually, I wrote a full review of it, which can now be found here (http://gametz.com/Review/439.html) (originally it was on another site, but they removed it when they did a redesign).

Joe Redifer
06-13-2006, 11:07 PM
I like Super Monkey Ball for the Gamecube despite not running in widescreen and/or 480p.

Drixxel
06-14-2006, 03:14 AM
I like Super Monkey Ball for the Gamecube despite not running in widescreen and/or 480p.

Joe, you techno-bastard.. :p

Disaster Report is an excellent pick. The general consensus I've come to from reading up on it is that most people can't seem to get past just how pug ugly the game looks and controls, which irrepairably mars their Disaster Report experience. It would seem you've gazed through to the inner beauty, j_factor!

King's Field 2, PSX - Few games have drawn me in like ol' KF2. It's downright ugly at times, combat eventually boils down to nothing more than circular strafing patterns, and while I like to think of the game as being laidback in pace, let's face it... King's Field 2 is slow in every sense. Walking, fighting, loading.. the game certainly doesn't rush things. While I would like the control to be faster and the graphics to be more detailed, King's Field 2 is still a completely absorbing game, and I found myself ensared by it for a large portion of last summer. Flawed, oh yes, but a brilliant gaming experience.

Zable_Fahr
06-14-2006, 01:33 PM
I have a special fondness for Skyblazer, and there is nothing in this game that couldn't be improved upon (the music being a possible exception). It's really too bad it doesn't live up to it's potential, because it could have been absolutely incredible.

Another favorite is Secret of Mana. This game has a very special charm that somehow manages to make up for most of its flaws, but I still wish they had fleshed out the storyline more. It just felt like a lot of it missing, somehow.

The sequel had its share of flaws, too. Mostly its hideous abuse of that damn God-Beast plot device, of course. The storyline essentially stopped moving once you got Booskaboo's flute.

Castlevania Bloodlines could have been a hell of a lot better, too. It's a nice game, but it has these huge piles of untapped potential that keep me from enjoying it for what it is. To name but a few of the problems, the visual design was often quite sloppy, and good ideas like the branching paths were barely used at all.

Drixxel
06-14-2006, 02:23 PM
I have a special fondness for Skyblazer, and there is nothing in this game that couldn't be improved upon (the music being a possible exception). It's really too bad it doesn't live up to it's potential, because it could have been absolutely incredible.

I started playing Skyblazer not long ago.. it's pretty fun, but it's obvious that Sony Imagesoft hadn't dabbled much beforehand in the mechanics of action platformers. There are just little things wrong here and there.

Another favorite is Secret of Mana. This game has a very special charm that somehow manages to make up for most of its flaws, but I still wish they had fleshed out the storyline more. It just felt like a lot of it missing, somehow.

My biggest gripe with Secret of Mana is the absolutely catastrophic hit detection. It's just.. weird. Sure, it gives combat a very different feel from other action RPGs, but I wish it made more sense. It's a fabulous multiplayer game, though - I have many fond memories of 3-player Secret of Mana.

Zable_Fahr
06-14-2006, 03:22 PM
I started playing Skyblazer not long ago.. it's pretty fun, but it's obvious that Sony Imagesoft hadn't dabbled much beforehand in the mechanics of action platformers. There are just little things wrong here and there.

My biggest gripe with Secret of Mana is the absolutely catastrophic hit detection. It's just.. weird. Sure, it gives combat a very different feel from other action RPGs, but I wish it made more sense. It's a fabulous multiplayer game, though - I have many fond memories of 3-player Secret of Mana.

I bought Skyblazer when it was relatively new. A friend of mine used to stop by really early in the morning the first few days, so we could play it before we went to school. Strangely magical memories, those...

I got kind of used to the hit detection in Mana, but one thing in the battle system that I found absolutely unforgivable was the way you could just nuke every boss to hell and back. God, that was cheap.