PDA

View Full Version : System Wars (GAME GEAR vs. GAME BOY) PART 6

Devon
07-15-2010, 04:41 AM
System Wars (GAME GEAR vs.GAME BOY) - part 6
Which system, given only these 5 games, would you take if you were stranded on a LONG family vacation to wallyworld in the Family Truckster with the 5 games listed here.

1. Sonic The Hedgehog (GG) vs. Super Mario Land (GB)
2. Psychic World (GG) vs. Metroid II (GB)
3. Shining Force II Sword of Hajya (GG) vs. Legend of Zelda Links Awakening (GB)
4. Columns (GG) vs. Tetris (GB)
5. Road Rash (GG) vs. Super RC Pro AM (GB)

----------

My picks:

1. Sonic The Hedgehog (GG) > Super Mario Land (GB)
-Mario gets old after a while. Sonic doesn't, for me.

2. Psychic World (GG) > Metroid II (GB)
-Psychic world has beautiful colour graphics that really shine over GBs 4 shades of grey and the game play is better

3. Shining Force (GG) > Zelda (GB)
-I like the Strategy Based game play of shining force much better and the anime style graphics are amazing.

4. Columns (GG) < Tetris (GB)
-The awesome music in Game Boy Tetris is enough to give it a win!

5. Road Rash (GG) > RC- PRO AM (GB)
This one was close as the game gear road rash isn't nearly as good as the genesis running on a slow Zilog Z80 at 3.58mhz which is a bit slow... compaired to 68000 in Genesis
GAME GEAR WINS... 4-1!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cieXjddmpUY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cieXjddmpUY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL!

Da_Shocker
07-15-2010, 11:05 AM
I'd go with the GB, the GG was the only Sega system that I played that didn't spark my interest whatsoever.

ApolloBoy
07-15-2010, 12:18 PM
This one's very tough for me considering I grew up with both systems and love them both. I don't think I'm gonna vote on this one seeing as how both are great choices.

Olls
07-15-2010, 04:57 PM
Game Boy on all of those. Game Gear is a POS and so are its games.

Jesse813
07-15-2010, 05:03 PM
My vote is for the Game Boy

gamegenie
07-15-2010, 05:12 PM
Puke Boy was joke back in the day.

Although it's mad sad how SEGA let Nintendo dominate the handheld market after they dropped out of it.

I believe a thinner designed GAME GEAR in 1996 would have crushed GameBoy Pocket.

Guntz
07-15-2010, 05:40 PM
1. Sonic The Hedgehog (GG) vs. Super Mario Land (GB): I always thought SML1 is kinda crummy as a kid. Nice music but the physics were awful. Sonic 1 on GG is a very nicely built game.

2. Psychic World (GG) vs. Metroid II (GB): I haven't played either of these, so it's a draw.

3. Shining Force II Sword of Hajya (GG) vs. Legend of Zelda Links Awakening (GB): I was never a big fan of ALTTP-style Zeldas (though I love Zelda 1) and I've always loved Shining Force, so I pick the Sega system.

4. Columns (GG) vs. Tetris (GB): As much as I dislike Tetris, it's still leagues better than that crapful abomination of a puzzle game called Columns.

5. Road Rash (GG) vs. Super RC Pro AM (GB): I never liked RC Pro AM because you could see only 2 feet in front of your car, resulting in a crash with some object every 5 or 10 seconds. At least in Road Rash you could see far down the road and actually, you know, RACE.

Even though the result is 3-1 Game Gear's favor, I have more favorites on GB since I've owned one for many, many more years than the Game Gear. Still, I can't fathom all the hatred towards the old GG, I love both systems equally.

ApolloBoy
07-15-2010, 06:10 PM
Game Gear is a POS and so are its games.
And why?

jerry coeurl
07-15-2010, 06:13 PM
Game Boy, easy. Just for Link's Awakening. It's an absolute masterpiece, and the best Zelda game around as far as I'm concerned.

But Super Mario Land, Metroid II & Tetris all win too. Psychic World, imo, is a turd, same with Columns, but I do really like Sonic the Hedgehog GG. Just not as much as SML.

ki_atsushi
07-15-2010, 06:15 PM

Sounds like you haven't tried many Game Gear games...

Breetai
07-15-2010, 07:28 PM
1. Sonic The Hedgehog (GG) vs. Super Mario Land (GB)
-I just could never really get into SML. SML2, on the other hand...
2. Psychic World (GG) vs. Metroid II (GB)
-Metroid II. I've owned Psychic World, but it just never really "clicked" with me.
3. Shining Force II Sword of Hajya (GG) vs. Legend of Zelda Links Awakening (GB)
-I love Shining Force, I love Zelda, but I'm more into Shining Force.
4. Columns (GG) vs. Tetris (GB)
-Tetris
5. Road Rash (GG) vs. Super RC Pro AM (GB)
On Genesis, then it would be Road Rash... but this isn't the Genesis.

Says the guy who also didn't give the Saturn a chance. Did you even play all the GG games mentioned in the OP? Something tells me you didn't bother... :daze:

Baloo
07-15-2010, 07:56 PM
Game Gear I really do like, and play it more than my Game Boy, and I do prefer it to the Game Boy, but I must say the amount of good titles for the Game Gear are really lacking. Pretty much anything not by SEGA isn't worth playing, haha.

MrMatthews
07-15-2010, 08:52 PM
GameBoy wins.

/thread.

...wait, that's not right. I want the discussion to continue.

Um... /post.

tomaitheous
07-16-2010, 08:43 PM
Sounds like you haven't tried many Game Gear games...

I have and his statement is pretty much true. GG had the color, but the games just sucked. Dry/driveled boring games. Loved Sonic 1&2 on the Genesis, hated Sonic 1 on the GG (and I think Sonic 2 as well). I think I need to sell off my GG and games for it.

This list sucks. But since Zelda is on there, GB all the way baby.

Alianger
07-16-2010, 11:23 PM
So much baseless hate for the GG :(
Id have picked different games for some of these matchups though.

MrMatthews
07-17-2010, 12:36 AM
Just post your 100-game video.

Deo
07-17-2010, 01:03 AM
As much as I love the Game Boy for it's Pokemon games, I definitely love the Game Gear way more.
Color, backlight, ergonomic and it doubles as a semi-portable Master System all make it better then the hand cramper Game Boy.

Speaking of Master Systems, is Phantasy Star and other SMS games with lots of text readable/playable on the Game Gear?

ApolloBoy
07-17-2010, 01:14 AM
So much baseless hate for the GG :(
Indeed. I actually had a Game Gear years before I had a Game Boy, and it's always been one of my favorite handheld systems. It just pains me a bit to see people denounce it as a "POS" without any thought behind it.

QuickSciFi
07-17-2010, 02:20 AM
The Game Gear had something up it's sleeve, but the screen was utter **** (Even the Majesco screen, I might add ;)). The truth is, when it came to handhelds, the Game Boy line ruled the world. :D

P.S.> Alright, alright ;). It'd be a dream come true to have a "Game Gear Player" of some sort. Something that could play your Game Gear titles on the big screen. For now, I'd settle for TmEE. He's the shiznitz in that field :D.

Devon
07-17-2010, 02:32 AM
The Game Gear had something up it's sleeve, but the screen was utter **** (Even the Majesco screen, I might add ;)). The truth is, when it came to handhelds, the Game Boy line ruled the world. :D

P.S.> Alright, alright ;). It'd be a dream come true to have a "Game Gear Player" of some sort. Something that could play your Game Gear titles on the big screen. For now, I'd settle for TmEE. He's the shiznitz in that field :D.

i caught your little comment but really the majesco screen is nice, it has better all around color then my nomad, with less shimmer and screen blur, also i have a coleco hand held thing, its susposed to have 20 game gear games built in and its really small but its broke, i really wanted to try it out and see how well the screen works.

Hidden_Darkness
07-17-2010, 02:43 AM
The Gamegear was my choice, I enjoyed alot more games on it during the 90's then I did on the Gameboy. I didn't start getting into the Gameboy much until the mid 90's and even then I didn't find a lot on it that I liked.

Alianger
07-17-2010, 10:58 AM
The Game Gear had something up it's sleeve, but the screen was utter **** (Even the Majesco screen, I might add ;)).

I think the short battery life issue is a bit exaggerated, but I can't argue against this. Not that the original GB screen was much better though, unless you had that addon (light boy?) which made it look like you were in science class. I've actually played most GG/GB games on other handhelds :)
One thing that has struck me is how much easier most of them are compared to console games when you have a proper screen to play them on.

Edit:
1. Sonic The Hedgehog (GG) > Super Mario Land (GB): A bit of an unfair comparison since Sonic is a 1991 game. It's a very good port on the GG, and later SML titles show that the GB could do much more. SML had some excellent music though.

2. Psychic World (GG) - Metroid II (GB): Well, Psychic World is a completely broken game and not really in the same genre as Metroid. M2 is the most boring Metroid game I've played though, so I pick Wonder Boy III.

3. Shining Force II Sword of Hajya (GG) < Legend of Zelda Links Awakening (GB): SRPG vs. Action Adventure. Why? The only serious competition to Link's Awakening I can think of is Sylvan Tale, but the game is JP only, very short and feels rushed in the late game. On the other hand, I haven't played any good SRPG on the GB.

4. Columns (GG) < Tetris (GB): Depends what mood I'm in, but usually Tetris. There are many better puzzle games for both platforms, and many more for GB of course.

5. Road Rash (GG) >>> Super RC Pro AM (GB): RC Pro AM on the GB was an insult to the series with no control over upgrades, lack of speed and jerky car movement. Road Rash is a great port with great music. Any good combat racers on the GB, well, Dead Heat Scramble is somewhat decent.

Olls
07-17-2010, 02:49 PM
Says the guy who also didn't give the Saturn a chance. Did you even play all the GG games mentioned in the OP? Something tells me you didn't bother... :daze:

I haven't commented on the Saturn vs N64 thread. :?
But you're right, the winner there is pretty obvious, if it weren't for the fact that we're on a sega board full of biased people.
Also, I have played all of those games, albeit not on real hardware. Something tells me that doing that would devalue GG games even more.

Guntz
07-17-2010, 05:49 PM
Indeed. I actually had a Game Gear years before I had a Game Boy, and it's always been one of my favorite handheld systems. It just pains me a bit to see people denounce it as a "POS" without any thought behind it.

I concur. The Game Gear is an excellent portable system. The people in here bashing the GG with no backing are no better than PS3 fanboys who hate anything that doesn't connect with HDMI.

Also, I kind of hate to admit this, but I'm not a long time Game Gear owner. I've had mine since (I think) fall of 2008, but I've loved it ever since then. I even did a cap kit mod on it (though the sound starts acting oddly after the unit has been on for a long time). I need to grab some of the better games the system has to offer, like Wonder Boy: Dragon's Trap, Ninja Gaiden, Shinobi, Castle/Land of Illusion, Shining Force: Sword of Honolulu and other good stuff like that.

Devon
07-17-2010, 05:53 PM
the game gear was my first sega system, i had a gameboy at the time, just like i already has a snes and n64. but finally i saw the light and bought my game gear and genesis in 1998 boy was that a good decision, iam happy to report i broke the brainwashing that nintendo had over me, looks like some people on here are still having trouble doing that.

Baloo
07-17-2010, 06:14 PM
The Game Gear was my first portable system as well, I picked it over the mediocre Game Boy.

kool kitty89
07-18-2010, 02:41 AM
As a console in and of itself, GG, never owned one but knew kids who did and always thought it was really cool. (and did play it a bit back then)

However, for convenient portable on-the-go action (including multiplayer), I'd have to go with the Game Boy for the size and especially the battery life. (especially the battery life for the original model)

Devon
07-18-2010, 02:46 AM
As a console in and of itself, GG, never owned one but knew kids who did and always thought it was really cool. (and did play it a bit back then)

However, for convenient portable on-the-go action (including multiplayer), I'd have to go with the Game Boy for the size and especially the battery life. (especially the battery life for the original model)

okay since i have seen some of your posts before you usually get technicle which hardware would be more powerful the original gameboy or the game gear, i noticed the game gear has a z80 3.58mhz and gameboy has some z80 derrivitive at 4.19mhz but i noticed it said game gear can have more onscreen sprites at once?

TrekkiesUnite118
07-18-2010, 03:19 AM
Game wise I'd take the Gameboy. Playability wise I'd take the Game Gear. The Game Gear was back-lit, the Gameboy was not. I remember having such a hard time playing my Gameboy in the car due to this issue.

Black_Tiger
07-18-2010, 06:15 PM
1. SML got old fast, so I'd probably prefer Sonic GG
2. I haven't played Psychic World so I'll assume I'd prefer Metroid II
3. I played Link's awakening probably more than any Zelda other than the original, but Shining Force II Sword of Hajya single handedly wins this competition with it's timeless SF gameplay that is unaffected by screen blurring.
4. Tetris obviously
5. I've never been a fan of Road Rash, but the NES RC Pro Am was a lot of fun.

Like I said in the SFII/Zelda comment, all I need is a single Shining Force game to be happy indefinitely. So the Game Gear wins by a lot in this game match up.

kool kitty89
07-18-2010, 07:21 PM
okay since i have seen some of your posts before you usually get technicle which hardware would be more powerful the original gameboy or the game gear, i noticed the game gear has a z80 3.58mhz and gameboy has some z80 derrivitive at 4.19mhz but i noticed it said game gear can have more onscreen sprites at once?

Nope, while I may get into technical stuff, that's in the context of potential, not results: it's the results on the GG I like: bright color screen with some blur and contrast issues (less so for the late majesco units iirc), but no worse than the original GB from that respect (maybe more blurring than GBP), but it handled a lot of games better from what I've seen.

The smaller screen may have made games less playbable than the master system counterparts, but compared to a lot of GB stuff, I'd take it.

I think the GB might have an advantage for some genres though, possibly RPGs (GG had some, though I don't recall how many made it to the west), and perhaps adventure games in general: Link's Awakening of course, James Bond 007 comes to mind too (my first game for the system).

Hmm, given that, maybe I'd prefer the GB for those genres: I do like the Sonic platformers on the GG more than GB mario games, but I'm a bit more into adventure games overall, so that's a bit tough. (tails' adventure is pretty good too)
I'm less versed in the GB's library in general, if there are some good notable shmups on the GG (especially vertical), that might do it... Space Harrier might be a plus too.

Tetris would be a non-issue, though I never have actually owned the GB version, I'd be happy with colunms too. (I actually prefer columns in some respects)

If you get into technical stuff, the GB has better sound easily, but weaker graphics (mainly color limits -or shades too, though more shades of gray would be a bit pointless given the contrast ratios on older LCDs, especially reflective ones). Again, the convenience of the GB's size and especially battery life really helps too. (particularly as I've never had a problem seeing the screen except in exceptionally dim light -ie it's fine in a room with the blinds closed and no lights on in the middle of the day, but not at dusk/dawn/heavily overcast, and I'm talking about the original GB too -with contrast calibrated correctly of course)
That said, the GG's screen is a lot better, and I was very impressed back in the 90s... still impressive compared to the GBC or even GBA to some extent (though the original GBA had a pretty decent reflective screen by then, so the old GG's contrast and blur tarnished it a bit -not sure about the late 90s majesco models though)

A big limit on the GG was how it was more or less dropped in the mid 90s while the GB's library continued to grow through the late 90s at least. (and there's that whole forward compatible chunk of GB/GBC compatible games too)

KnightWarrior
07-19-2010, 04:22 AM
I'm not choosing. I like both