PDA

View Full Version : So I picked up a Game Gear....

Leathco
07-19-2010, 01:47 PM
Nice find here...20 bucks total

Sega Game Gear
Game Gear Case
Game Gear Battery Pack
Game Gear Magnifier
Iron Man X-O Manowar in Heavy Metal
Andre Agassi Tennis
Jurassic Park
X-Men: Game Master's Legacy
PGA Tour Golf
Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Advanced Holodeck Tutorial
FIFA International Soccer
Sonic The Hedgehog 2
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers The Movie
Primal Rage
Mortal Kombat II
The Adventures of Batman & Robin

Not bad. Hell I just need the TV Tuner, Game Genie, and Master System converter and than I'll have a complete collection of accessories for this thing. The TV Tuner could be fun with a USB MicroBroadcast transmitter on my PC.

Any must-have titles you guys recommend? LCD screen replacement hacks?

Guntz
07-19-2010, 02:08 PM
LCD screen replacements? Sorry, old handheld screens don't work like that. You can however, do two mods:

Capacitor Kit: Link seems to be gone... Try Google.
LED Mod: http://pipe-organ-wolf.livejournal.com/5865.html

Leathco
07-19-2010, 02:20 PM
Damn...I saw screen mods for the Nomad, was hoping there was one for the GG too....ah well. Might try the other mods. Any must have games?

Devon
07-19-2010, 02:32 PM
Sonic Chaos is one of my favorites for the system, the original sonic is good too. shining force sword of hayja is a great rpg for the system columns is cheap if you dont have it. also think about replacing the capacitors in the unit if you haven't already.

Leathco
07-19-2010, 02:36 PM
I'll definately pick up Shining Force, I love those games. Prolly get the Sonic games too, it came with Sonic 2. What does the capacitor replacement do for the system, is it preventative maintainence or more of a system improvement?

Guntz
07-19-2010, 02:39 PM
Nope, system improvement. It'll remedy problems like weak sound or bad, washed out video. It's really worth doing, no matter the condition of the Game Gear in question. At this point in time, it'll always fix something.

Devon
07-19-2010, 02:50 PM
I'll definately pick up Shining Force, I love those games. Prolly get the Sonic games too, it came with Sonic 2. What does the capacitor replacement do for the system, is it preventative maintainence or more of a system improvement?

some of my older game gears have gotten to a point where they wont turn on or need several flicks of the on/off switch to even boot, when they do the screen is very dim and has lots of crosstalk on it, but with the capacitors replaced they will run good again, i haven't replaced any of mine i just bought a majesco gamegear which were manufactured in mexico around 2000-01 so i know the capacitors are most likely ok and should last another 5 years, and the screens on the majescos are a bit better, less blur and brighter color.

Alianger
07-19-2010, 05:09 PM
Jurassic Park is a solid action game. I'll copy paste an old list of favourites that are also exclusives or with new levels/features:

Crystal Warriors - SRPG
Factory Panic - Puzzle
GG Shinobi 2
Gunstar Heroes (a few levels are different)
Kishin Douji Zenki - Platform
Ninku 2 - Fighting
Power Strike 1-2 (completely different to the SMS games) - Vertical Shooters
Popils - Puzzle
Power Rangers & Power Rangers: The Movie - Beat 'em up/Fighting
Ristar GG (a few levels are different)
Sonic Triple Trouble
Sonic 1 (the scrolling is adjusted to allow more time to react to danger)
Shikinjou/Shikin Joh - Puzzle
Super Return of the Jedi - Run 'n Gun/Shooter
Woody Pop (doesn't require a paddle controller) - Breakout clone
Wonder Boy III: Dragon's Trap (more treasures to find and it includes the option to teleport between locations)

JP but fan translated:
Head Buster - Strategy
Lunar: Walking School - RPG
Sylvan Tale - Action Adventure
Shining Force Gaiden: Final Conflict (not on SCD)

Btw, there's no region lockout on the GG.

Da_Shocker
07-19-2010, 06:03 PM
Ah not a bad price at all.

zetastrike
07-19-2010, 06:19 PM
Nope, system improvement. It'll remedy problems like weak sound or bad, washed out video. It's really worth doing, no matter the condition of the Game Gear in question. At this point in time, it'll always fix something.

What does replacing capacitors entail? Does it involve a lot of soldering/prescision work? Is it hard to do?

Guntz
07-19-2010, 06:53 PM
The capacitors are surface mounted (no holes). All you do is heat one leg at a time with a soldering iron and lift them out of the molten solder. Once the old cap is gone, use some flux or rubbing alcohol to clean up the board (solder doesn't stick to dirty surfaces), then apply a tiny bit of solder to make the new capacitor solder into place easier. Then it's just a matter of heating the solder pads and sinking the capacitor legs into the pads. Remember, capacitors have a polarity, if you don't match one cap up properly the game gear won't work.

clearance.console-world.co.uk use to sell cap kits, but that site just redirects to rewind-gaming.co.uk and they don't carry that cap kit anymore.

I'm not sure how much help this will be to you guys, but this repair guide has a list of caps you'll need.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/ggrgb/ggrepair.html