PDA

View Full Version : Replacing/modding the SEGA Game Gear Recharageable Battery Pack guide

gamegenie
09-24-2010, 08:08 PM
this is a really good helpful website that I came across on the net after searching for information on how to replace the NiCad battery inside my dead Game Gear battery pack that I got from an ebay auction that including another battery pack (a working PowerBack), 3 games and a Game Gear (no sound but I fixed it with a new capacitor) all for $8 bucks.

http://www.jonathanen.com/pages/Help/Replace.html

the only modification/ or update I'd make to the information given above would be where to obtain the battery. He recommends the Sanyo RC battery, but that battery is discontinued and can't be found anywhere today.

But I found this site (see below) that offers same type of battery and even provides customizable connectors for the wire from the battery during check out, which will eliminates the task at the end of the above guide of having to rewire the new battery.

http://www.onlybatterypacks.com/

I placed a order today, and can't wait till I get my new NiCad battery. If it all works well I'm going to have 6 hours of gaming instead the original factory default of 30 minutes to a hour. :D

gamegenie
10-01-2010, 04:05 PM
It worked. I can't believe I almost tossed away this DOA Battery Pack. It just needed a simple remodding.

I replaced that base 1300mah with a 2400mah NiCad.

Sparksterz
10-01-2010, 04:19 PM
Huh, neat can it even charge using the same plug or did you have to change that too?

gamegenie
10-01-2010, 11:49 PM
yes. Only needed to change the old battery within the Battery Pack. The charger board inside the Battery Pack functions just the same as before, and it took about 8 hours to completely charge the battery, when indication from the orange light went out on the battery pack, it was fully charged.

I've been using it on and off yesterday and today, playing the ultra rare Mega Man game.

I'm about to rebuild the other rechargeable battery SEGA made for Game Gear next. The PowerBack, that attaches to the back the Game Gear. the battery is smaller so I won't be able to get a 2400mah in it though, I had to settle for a 1500mah NiCad to replace the default 1300mah.

I would love to try a NiMH battery for the Battery Pack, but I'm unsure how the charger would react with that type of battery. I read so many warnings that a charged timer (which I assume is type of Charger in the Battery Pack and PowerBack) would destroy a NiMH.

I also learned a lot about NiCad, regarding it's charge and discharge procedure to sustain their charge life. Stuff I wish I would had learned as a kid when I first got my Battery Pack.

gamegenie
10-01-2010, 11:52 PM
also in case anyone is looking to try this on their own.

The connector the battery in the original Game Gear rechargeable "Battery Pack" used is a male BEC connector.

The connector the battery in the newer Game Gear rechargeable "PowerBack" use is a JR Spektrum DX6 & DX7 connector.