PDA

View Full Version : Q: Japan-only MD games OK to review?

Ghaleon
07-10-2006, 11:33 PM
Are reviews of non-U.S. games (such as Japan-only MegaDrive games) considered for posting, so long as they fall under the Genesis/MegaDrive, 32X, or Sega/Mega-CD umbrella?

I searched the site and forums for a definite answer, but didn't find anything concrete.

This is my first time to post, so although I've read the FAQs, please forgive any faux pas.

Thanks! :-)

David J.
07-10-2006, 11:38 PM
There's a few Japanese only games, like Pulseman on the site, so yeah. it's ok. :)

Ghaleon
07-10-2006, 11:57 PM
OK, thanks. Quick reply, too. :-)

I was lucky enough to happen across a handful of Japanese MD games at one of the used game stores I used to work at, and I'm considering submitting a review for Dangerous Seed (top-down shmup by Namcot -- their name had a "t" on the end at that time...).

I'm a huge shmup fan: anyone know of any other MD/M-CD top-down or side-scrolling shmups that were never released in the U.S.?

Joe Redifer
07-11-2006, 12:23 AM
I've never understood the whole Namco/Namcot thing. Were they on acid in Japan? All Namcot games that were brought over to the US were instead released by a company called Namco. I wonder if there was a Segat and Konamit as well as a Nintendot in Japan.

ThunderForce
07-11-2006, 12:29 AM
I've never understood the whole Namco/Namcot thing. Were they on acid in Japan? All Namcot games that were brought over to the US were instead released by a company called Namco. I wonder if there was a Segat and Konamit as well as a Nintendot in Japan.

Namcot was just Namco software people. Any Namco game in Japan back in the early 1990s has a T on it for it's a console game.

ThunderForce
07-11-2006, 12:31 AM
For shmups fans:

In Japan only:

Unline Dead
Fire Mustang
Slap Fight
Zero Wing

There's more out there, but I can't remember any at this time.

Note: I'm trying to do a lot of Toaplan shooter reivews (from the people who made Fire Shark, Hellfire, etc.).

Oh yeah, welcome to the fourms. ;)

Melf
07-11-2006, 12:38 AM
- Eliminate Down
- Heavy Unit
- Twin Hawk (got a PAL release too)

Check our Shmups Extravaganza (http://www.sega-16.com/Genre%20Spotlight-%20Shmups%20Extravaganza.htm) for a full list of every shmup ever made for the console.

...and welcome to the boards!

Ghaleon
07-11-2006, 12:44 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, Fighter. So have you actually played all of those games?

Zero Wing...that one somehow slipped my mind...wow: never actually talked to somebody who's played it, though.

Melf--thanks for the link and suggestions!

ThunderForce
07-11-2006, 12:51 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, Fighter. So have you actually played all of those games?

Zero Wing...that one somehow slipped my mind...wow: never actually talked to somebody who's played it, though.

Melf--thanks for the link and suggestions!

Yes, I've played all of these games and I own some of them too. :)

David J.
07-11-2006, 01:36 AM
I really liked Fire Mustang.

Joe Redifer
07-11-2006, 02:31 AM
I own Fire Mustang. I always loved the digitized pictures of planes netween the levels and whatnot.

Zero Wing had a PAL release.

Melf
07-11-2006, 02:37 AM
ALL YOUR BASE.....yadda, yadda, yadda...

landstalkerx
07-11-2006, 05:39 AM
For shmups fans:

In Japan only:

Unline Dead
Fire Mustang
Slap Fight
Zero Wing

Zero Wing was released in Europe as well. The European version contains the infamous All your base dialouge, as Melf has pointed out.

108 Stars
07-11-2006, 11:21 AM
I always thought the whole Namco/Namcot-confusion was because of the time when Nintendo allowed every third party only to release up to five titles a year for the NES.
Some companies just founded new daughter-companies; so the original company had their contingent of 5 titles and the new company had another 5. Konami did it that way (Metal Gear was released under the label of Ultra Games back then, although we all know that it was a Konami-game)
So I always thought that was the idea behind Namcot too...

Oh, and yeah, we Europeans have a version of Zero Wing. But unfortunately, MUSHA Aleste never made it to us. I donīt think Zero Wing can make up for that tragedy.

Genesis Knight
07-11-2006, 11:32 AM
I disliked Fire Mustang, but maybe that was because I played it right after going through Lightning Force.

Joe Redifer
07-11-2006, 01:40 PM
Yeah that might do it. I played it right when it came out. I think that was even before Sonic.

Genesis Knight
07-11-2006, 02:11 PM
Why would you import a game like that? Seems like an odd choice.

Joe Redifer
07-11-2006, 09:18 PM
#1 - I enjoyed it when I first rented it.
#2 - I'm a collector
#3 - Cheap

Genesis Knight
07-12-2006, 12:54 PM
Fair enough.

Ghaleon
07-13-2006, 01:53 AM
I've gotten a good start on my Dangerous Seed review, but it's already over 1,000 words (brevity is not, unfortunately, one of my strengths as a writer when I can thoroughly enjoy the subject and the process).

Staff members: I read the appropriate postings etc, but can't track down a concrete or even recommended upper-limit on word count for reviews. Any recommendations? It's looking like it might hit between 1,500 to 1800: does this seem excessive?

Also, if anyone--staff, contributor, or otherwise--has any general recommendations regarding review writing for the site, especially for a first-time submitter, I would appreciate the pointers.

Thanks, all!

Melf
07-13-2006, 12:55 PM
Have you checked the Contributor Guidelines (http://www.sega-16.com/Contributor%20Guidelines.htm) and Review Manifest (http://www.sega-16.com/Sega-16%20Review%20Manifest.htm)? They have all the information you'll need to write your review.

I can't wait to read it!

Ghaleon
07-13-2006, 02:57 PM
OK, sorry--guess I hadn't read those as thoroughly as I thought I had!

Well, I've got some pruning to do, so if you'll excuse me... ;-)