PDA

View Full Version : Something odd happened with my Game Gear today...

Guntz
10-19-2010, 10:27 PM
I put Sonic 1 (GG) in my Game Gear and turned it on, however it booted up in SMS mode (it was at a higher resolution, so everything was smaller) by accident. Unfortunately it didn't get past the title screen, everything glitched up at that point.

What address line on the cartridge slot causes GG games to boot in Master System mode? That was a really cool glitch. :D

KnightWarrior
10-19-2010, 10:38 PM
That happens to me when I pull out the Cart a little but..but other time it would crash the game

Smii
10-20-2010, 03:43 AM
I used to have a GG that did this with games all the time - sadly always accompanied by screen flicker and crashing. Always assumed it was caused by crappy contacts or similar. Odds are the screen died on that GG (as that's happened to me three times now :P) Stupid shoddy Sega.

nathanallan
10-20-2010, 04:06 AM
That sure is a neat glitch. Must be late, because it's coming as a surprise to me that it even had that mode in there.

Sadly, my GG seems to have developed a bad power board, it won't run on the power supply anymore. More investigating on the problem, then I'll see about getting it into SMS mode.

kool kitty89
10-21-2010, 02:29 AM
Hmm, I thought the GG compatible mode still used the standard resolution and as such still had the smaller screen window (zoomed in) for the several "direct ports" to the GG.

Hmm, is the GG's screen even high enough resolution to adequately display 256x192, or is it scaled to 160x144 somehow? (or does the GG not use a 160x144 native display and scales everything?)

Edit: it seems that most/all of the direct SMS ports DO run at the full resolution and aren't clipped, so either it's downscaled or the GG's screen is quite a bit higher-res than 160x144. (or both... in either case it would need to be scaling at some point given the multiple resolutions)
If the screen truly is adequate for a 256x192 display, it seems a shame that that wasn't the standard resolution given the number of games that would have been far more playable and the major advantage it would provide over competition (not matched or exceeded until the DS), and even if it was only scaled, it would probably make a lot of games more playable. (I know the Sonic games suffered a lot from that)
Hell, even if it locked out the GG color palette and limited it to the SMS's 6-bit RGB that would be OK for most stuff. (especially given the contrast on most SMS screens didn't really show off the higher color -and using starker 6-bit RGB might have even been preferable in some cases by making differentiation easier)

Or maybe it was avoided due to the flickering problem that SMS mode seems to have.

chessage
10-21-2010, 03:04 AM
What address line on the cartridge slot causes GG games to boot in Master System mode? That was a really cool glitch. :D

Pin 42. Connecting that pin to a ground or +5V source determines whether it starts in Master System or Game Gear mode. A switch could be installed.

Hmm, I thought the GG compatible mode still used the standard resolution and as such still had the smaller screen window (zoomed in) for the several "direct ports" to the GG.

Hmm, is the GG's screen even high enough resolution to adequately display 256x192, or is it scaled to 160x144 somehow? (or does the GG not use a 160x144 native display and scales everything?)

Edit: it seems that most/all of the direct SMS ports DO run at the full resolution and aren't clipped, so either it's downscaled or the GG's screen is quite a bit higher-res than 160x144. (or both... in either case it would need to be scaling at some point given the multiple resolutions)
If the screen truly is adequate for a 256x192 display, it seems a shame that that wasn't the standard resolution given the number of games that would have been far more playable and the major advantage it would provide over competition (not matched or exceeded until the DS), and even if it was only scaled, it would probably make a lot of games more playable. (I know the Sonic games suffered a lot from that)
Hell, even if it locked out the GG color palette and limited it to the SMS's 6-bit RGB that would be OK for most stuff. (especially given the contrast on most SMS screens didn't really show off the higher color -and using starker 6-bit RGB might have even been preferable in some cases by making differentiation easier)

Or maybe it was avoided due to the flickering problem that SMS mode seems to have.

http://users.tpg.com.au/vile88/ggtv/ggtv.htm

When playing Sega Master System games (with a cartridge adapter) the Game Gear compresses the video signal to make it fit into the internal LCD screen... The compression can be disabled by connecting point T2 to +5v (logic high).

gamegenie
10-21-2010, 08:32 AM
That happens to me when I pull out the Cart a little but..but other time it would crash the game

this is true. I use to do this a long time ago as a kid before I had any idea what a SMS was, or that I was potentially damaging the contact between the cartridge pins and connector.

retrospiel
10-21-2010, 09:18 AM
There are Master System ports (i.e. Sonic 1), and there are games that run in Master System compatibility mode (i.e. Castle of Illusion) and which are Master System games, not ports. Sadly, 256x192 doesn't look too good on a 160x144 screen.

kool kitty89
10-21-2010, 02:33 PM
There are Master System ports (i.e. Sonic 1), and there are games that run in Master System compatibility mode (i.e. Castle of Illusion) and which are Master System games, not ports. Sadly, 256x192 doesn't look too good on a 160x144 screen.
It seems the flicker might be a bigger issue than the low resolution. (hard on the eyes)

But it would definite seem like some games would benfit from the full SMS reolution given the problems with a zoomed-in screen. (too much going on off-screen with little warning -like the Sonic games among others)
Hmm, that would be an interestign direct comparison: playing Sonic and Sonic 2 via the Master Converter and comparing that with the GG ports.