Zeus
11-04-2010, 12:15 PM
awesome

oldmanwinters
11-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Hmm... intriguing project!

Eke-Eke
11-04-2010, 02:28 PM
Interesting, i was looking at the Game Tokoshan BIOS recently, which communicates with the Sega Modem, trying to get it detected in emualtor.

What games did support the X_BAND modem ?
Do you have technical infos about how this was accessed by software (communication protocol, port setup, etc) or is this just a recreation of the XBAND concept with hacked ROMS/emulators ?

NeoVamp
11-04-2010, 03:28 PM
Next stop, complete new Xband 2.0 hardware with wifi support!!

Make it so!

Anonymouse
11-04-2010, 04:29 PM
Wow this is going to be awesome guys! But how many xbands are actually out there?

Would be awesome if Mr Everdrive Man could add a programmable USB or Eithernet port to the Everdrive so people could develop communication stuff for the Megadrive

Anyways this is great news

Greg2600
11-04-2010, 08:08 PM
I don't even have a phone line to use the real X-Band on! Is the PC version available?

rush6432
11-04-2010, 11:24 PM

ReBirFh
11-04-2010, 11:35 PM
FIFA 95 for genesis was supported by the brazillian version of X-Band ( here it was called Meganet 2)

I had put some pictures of it in the other forum I'm a member but its is down now.

rush6432
11-04-2010, 11:38 PM
I breifely had heard of it but never had seen it. well i take that back i saw someone on youtube demoing it sort of and i thought it was just a rom hack. you have those pics still?

ReBirFh
11-04-2010, 11:40 PM
I have, when the other forum is back I will put the link here.

Edit:

Topic I made when researching info about Meganet 2/X-Band
http://www.sega-brasil.com.br/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2307&p=27612&hilit=meganet#p27612

Recovered page from Tec Toy showing High Score Stats and compatible games
http://web.archive.org/web/19970724160732/www.tectoy.com.br/meganet/top_10.htm

Edit2: Don't bother translating all the topic because we were mostly chatting about the awesome wayback machine and other thing, only the first and last posts are relevant.

rush6432
11-05-2010, 12:00 AM

Eke-Eke
11-05-2010, 04:05 AM
As for the tokoshan BIOS, you wont get it running in an emulator. the xband bios writes a certain bit into memory to enable high and low rom or expanded memory to be able to work. without that bit being enabled upon startup on a real machine or hex editor, you wont ever get that bios to run.

Actually, I was more trying to emulate the sega modem (which was apparently connected to the EXT port) responses in my emulator, that's what I wanted to say ;)

I don't think XBAND and Sega Modem works the same though (the third "entity" being the Sega Channel cartridge), and game tokoshan works with Sega Modem, not XBAND. Was the XBAND BIOS ever dumped btw ?

That's said, I never seen an XBAND and I'm curious to know how it worked: is it like other "lock-on" cartridges, the X-BAND program starts automatically with any connected games and game support is on the server side ? or does supported games had routine to look for the XBAND and communicates with it ?

rush6432
11-05-2010, 09:53 AM
Actually, I was more trying to emulate the sega modem (which was apparently connected to the EXT port) responses in my emulator, that's what I wanted to say ;)

I don't think XBAND and Sega Modem works the same though (the third "entity" being the Sega Channel cartridge), and game tokoshan works with Sega Modem, not XBAND. Was the XBAND BIOS ever dumped btw ?

That's said, I never seen an XBAND and I'm curious to know how it worked: is it like other "lock-on" cartridges, the X-BAND program starts automatically with any connected games and game support is on the server side ? or does supported games had routine to look for the XBAND and communicates with it ?

xband cartridge was inserter and the game inserted on top of that. It never ran any of its games through a server. it dialed to a server to grab other player info and stats and such and update itself. it was always direct dial of the opponent. it was basically a glorified game genie that could insert its own code in-between the game and the genesis on the fly (multiplayer game patches) and snag controller button presses and send them out the modem line. pretty nifty. the bios has been dumped for snes and genesis.

rush6432
12-06-2010, 01:29 AM