PDA

View Full Version : Dumping Games, region F ?

FFantasy6
01-05-2011, 01:55 PM
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/1365/super2o.jpg

Anyone have seen a F in a dump ? I thought the regions were JEU only.

It's a "Death and Return of Superman" European version, an undumped game.

The Jackal
01-05-2011, 02:04 PM
French?

Chilly Willy
01-05-2011, 02:58 PM
No. It confuses a lot of people, but SEGA tossed out the old "U=US", "J=Japan", etc convention long before the MD went cold and dead. They replaced it with a single hex digit with each bit standing for something.

The bits stand for foreign PAL, foreign NTSC, domestic PAL, and domestic NTSC. So when you see "A", that doesn't mean Asia - it means foreign and domestic PAL machines. "5" means foreign and domestic NTSC. "F" means all machines, foreign or domestic, and PAL or NTSC... it means it's a World game.

They did that because they didn't want more than one character for the code, so they could replace "JUE" and the like with just "F".

The Jackal
01-05-2011, 03:15 PM
No. It confuses a lot of people, but SEGA tossed out the old "U=US", "J=Japan", etc convention long before the MD went cold and dead. They replaced it with a single hex digit with each bit standing for something.

The bits stand for foreign PAL, foreign NTSC, domestic PAL, and domestic NTSC. So when you see "A", that doesn't mean Asia - it means foreign and domestic PAL machines. "5" means foreign and domestic NTSC. "F" means all machines, foreign or domestic, and PAL or NTSC... it means it's a World game.

They did that because they didn't want more than one character for the code, so they could replace "JUE" and the like with just "F".

Ahh, gotcha.

FFantasy6
01-07-2011, 08:50 AM

Good to know, Thanks.

Chilly Willy
01-07-2011, 02:12 PM
No problem. It's in one of those tech bulletins most folks haven't read, so it's not widely known. When I did, I switched all my demos and homebrew from "JUE" to "F". No complaints so far. :)