PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Release: Hangman SG

dra600n
01-09-2011, 05:02 PM
Hey everyone,
I'm dra600n from Nintendo Age/Sega Age, and was referred by JBOGames to come post this on these forums, so, here I am :)

I'm officially releasing my homebrew genesis game: Hangman SG, on cart format, with a cover art and case.

I know feedback from other forums isn't always accepted when a new member enters a new crowd, but if anyone has dealt with MrMark and BeaglePuss over a NA, SA, or DigitPress, rest assured, they've both been helping with this whole package.

Anyway, here's the link to the SegaAge post with all of the details:
http://segaage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=43&threadid=44366

If anyone here is interested, shoot me a PM and I'll add you to the list.

Thanks everyone!

Edit: Youtube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G90CMjpWHRk

streetsofrage
01-09-2011, 05:57 PM
can we see some gameplay footage?

dra600n
01-09-2011, 06:00 PM
Absolutely. Unfortunately I'm about to head out right now, but when I get home I'll definitely take some gameplay footage and post it :)

djshok
01-09-2011, 06:10 PM
Neat! Can't wait to see some footage.

Zebbe
01-09-2011, 06:11 PM
Won't you make a manual as well? Can we see the complete package?

cheaterdragon1
01-09-2011, 06:26 PM
Cool another Genesis game. I too would like to see some gameplay and pictures of the packaging before ordering.

Guntz
01-09-2011, 06:38 PM
Why can't this stuff just be done over here?

QuickSciFi
01-09-2011, 06:48 PM
Nice. Looking forward to that footage.

Royce
01-09-2011, 09:23 PM
Sorry I just PM'd you asking for number 33, but I just noticed it was already taken. I would like number 13 instead.

dra600n
01-09-2011, 11:04 PM
Video link added in the first post, but in case you don't feel like going back up, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G90CMjpWHRk

I didn't know about this site until it was mentioned to me, which is why I didn't post it here from the start :) I was a member of Nintendo Age, then Sega Age came along, and yeah.... :)

QuickSciFi
01-10-2011, 06:47 AM
A Pop Culture Batman. I can see myself enjoying it.

TmEE
01-10-2011, 07:56 AM
This needs sound...

dra600n
01-10-2011, 08:43 AM
This needs sound...

Sound is quite difficult to code so it might not make it in this title, unfortunately. But you are right.

TmEE
01-10-2011, 09:48 AM
I have tools and stuff to get it happen though.... ;)

dra600n
01-10-2011, 10:12 AM
TmEE, if you could PM me with links, that'd be awesome :)

djshok
01-10-2011, 11:30 AM
I would most definitely be interested in this if you can get sound programmed in.

Mista_Ed
01-10-2011, 11:35 AM
Sound is quite difficult to code so it might not make it in this title, unfortunately. But you are right.

im happy to record me singing a song for you to go with it...if u were to make it available as a free download, people playing the game can play my song at the same time....thus overcoming the lack of sound within the game...

bit of lateral thinking never goes amiss eh?

(btw - i do a great YM2612 impression, so keep it in mind bro)

dra600n
01-10-2011, 10:35 PM
im happy to record me singing a song for you to go with it...if u were to make it available as a free download, people playing the game can play my song at the same time....thus overcoming the lack of sound within the game...

bit of lateral thinking never goes amiss eh?

(btw - i do a great YM2612 impression, so keep it in mind bro)

That made me chuckle a bit :)

Anyway, I'm just waiting on confirmation if the sound driver works on the real hardware, and depending on that, the game will have sound :)

PHANTOM2040
01-10-2011, 10:51 PM
Is all of the hangman words based on genesis/md game name, character names, and other refferences? That would be really cool. It would almost make it into a tribute in the form of a trivia game.

dra600n
01-10-2011, 11:13 PM
There are 11 categories (Video Games, Movies, Music, Musicians, Actors, Landmarks, Geography, Dictionary, Political, Business, and Sports), with 1,000 puzzles spread out through each. Video Games has games from SEGA, NES, SNES, Wii, 360, etc. Mainly every popular console from NES upward. Movies is spread along throughout various genres, as is music and musicians (I know it sounds like a redundant category, but one is bands, and others are band members/solo artists). I added in the dictionary category for added challenge while not making it overly challenging (There's only 75 dictionary words).

Just an update - there will be background music to the game. It has been confirmed that the sound driver works on the sega genesis.

There is also only 5 spots left.

Anonymouse
01-11-2011, 08:47 AM
Hey dra600n. I think you should hold back releasing this so soon. You have the heart of the game programmed. Jazz up the graphics and menu, add in sound and youll have an awesome game. There are some seriously good MegaDrive programmers around these forums, speak to them for a little help.

john8248
01-11-2011, 08:48 PM
Hey dra600n,

I signed up for cart #35. Just wanted to make sure you use "i heart pizza" in the cart instead of my user handle, john8248. I'll post this on the other thread, too. Thanks again - looking forward to the game! :)

dra600n
01-12-2011, 10:10 AM
Hey John, I got ya in there for "I Heart Pizza" :)

djshok
01-20-2011, 11:31 AM
So, any news on whether music has been added to the final release?

Defolto
01-21-2011, 12:02 AM
This needs sound...

While it would be nice to have sound, but I can't complain, I am happy that people are still making genesis games.

MrMark0673
01-21-2011, 12:43 AM
The game has an in-game song as well as tunes for the title screen, the win screen, and the lose screen.

Delfolto: Adam is a great addition to the homebrew community and I can tell you without a doubt that this is just a sample of bigger things to come :)

Guntz
01-21-2011, 01:03 AM
The game has an in-game song as well as tunes for the title screen, the win screen, and the lose screen.

Delfolto: Adam is a great addition to the homebrew community and I can tell you without a doubt that this is just a sample of bigger things to come :)

You guys are gonna release another prototype right? Hopefully it's a good one (and maybe not an RPG, got enough of those for now).

MrMark0673
01-21-2011, 10:00 AM
You guys are gonna release another prototype right? Hopefully it's a good one (and maybe not an RPG, got enough of those for now).

Matt and I have several unreleased prototypes that we're planning on releasing in the future, none of which are RPGs. We're also working with Adam with his homebrew projects and are super excited to work with such a talented programmer. The stuff he puts out in the future is really going to be epic, so stay tuned!

QuickSciFi
02-05-2011, 10:11 PM
http://www.sega-16.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=65&pictureid=1275

I just received my "Standard Edition" copy.

retrospiel
02-06-2011, 08:25 AM
I think this would make a nice freeware release, but for a commercial release this seems just not polished enough. I would expect at least some colors, some animation, sound effects and music, etc.

I hope that your next products will be an improvement over this one.

MrMark0673
02-06-2011, 10:07 AM
I think this would make a nice freeware release, but for a commercial release this seems just not polished enough. I would expect at least some colors, some animation, sound effects and music, etc.

I hope that your next products will be an improvement over this one.

There are several songs int he game and they sound quite nice. Adam definitely has bigger things lined up for the future that I think people are really going to enjoy.

Glad people are getting their copies, it was an absolute pleasure working with Adam to get these games out to people!

MEGADRIVE Jeroi
02-06-2011, 11:28 AM
This game did not impress me, sorry. It feels too weard game for the sega and it has a bit boring gfx. When I say my "be true" line it means that if the gfx is not great, then game needs to. And this one has neither of them. Also the gfx feels even worse than NES and sega is 16-bit platfrom.

I look forward for next the game tho.

MrMark0673
02-06-2011, 12:32 PM
I look forward for next the game tho.

Well then, have a look here :D

http://segaage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=48&threadid=45643

Royce
02-07-2011, 07:49 PM
I played this game for well over an hour with my little cousins. They love this kind of game. The only problem I have with it is that Colin Firth keeps appearing as an answer. I switch to hard mode and get Colin Firth as the answer. Then I switch back to normal and I get Colin Firth. It feels like within the first five minutes of every game I get Colin Firth :p Someone must be a fan of the movie for Pride and Prejudice.

QuickSciFi
02-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Lol. For me, Uganda kept coming-up as the answer. :) After 10,000pts, however, I probably managed to see all of the answers more than once. I actually had fun with this one too.

108 Stars
02-07-2011, 09:10 PM
Hehe, I hope you don't aim for too much with an RPG right after Hangman. I can tell you out of experience it's a HUGE amount of work and took us 6 years to finish even with a rather large team for homebrews.

I wish you the best of luck though, and I am glad more people start to do new games on the Mega Drive. :)

Jesse813
02-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Well then, have a look here :D

http://segaage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=48&threadid=45643

I look forward to playing his next game :D

QuickSciFi
02-07-2011, 09:33 PM
I demand a manual next go around. :)

...and no donor carts or cases. ;)

MrMark0673
02-07-2011, 10:44 PM
I demand a manual next go around. :)

...and no donor carts or cases. ;)

Manuals will definitely be going out for the next game Adam does. As to donor carts and cases, we're in the process of working on that right now :)

MrMark0673
02-07-2011, 11:11 PM
Hehe, I hope you don't aim for too much with an RPG right after Hangman. I can tell you out of experience it's a HUGE amount of work and took us 6 years to finish even with a rather large team for homebrews.

I wish you the best of luck though, and I am glad more people start to do new games on the Mega Drive. :)

Definitely hear you on the amount of work it's going to take, we expect to take this one slow and steady. Watching the success of what your team pulled off with Pier Solar just shows what hard work and dedication to the system can produce and hopefully in time we can produce a product as fantastic as Pier Solar is.

Adam has a lengthy programming background which is going to be paying off for sure, and Matt and I have several hundred repros under our belts from previous projects, so we have a good foundation for what the project is going to entail. It won't be easy and it won't be quick, but we're really hoping it turns into something fantastic!

QuickSciFi
02-07-2011, 11:35 PM
Manuals will definitely be going out for the next game Adam does. As to donor carts and cases, we're in the process of working on that right now :)

You just made me very happy. :D

[P.S.] Any chance of a "post-release" game manual for hangman. A simple printed card would be fine (just to make my "standard" copy appear complete amongst my other genny titles. :))

MrMark0673
02-07-2011, 11:53 PM
You just made me very happy. :D

Yeah, we all hate the idea of donors too. I'm working with someone on PCBs right now, moving a little slower in the sourcing of cart shells and clamshells. I'd like to avoid paying for a mold for cart shells and clamshells and am seeing if we can find a chinese manufacturer that sells empty shells and cases, but if not we'll have to spend the $2k for a mold.

[P.S.] Any chance of a "post-release" game manual for hangman. A simple printed card would be fine (just to make my "standard" copy appear complete amongst my other genny titles. :))

How about this...

If you make one up, I'll print it and ship it over to you free of charge. What do you think?

djshok
02-08-2011, 12:15 AM
I'd love to help design a simple instruction manual card for hangman.

vintagegamecrazy
02-08-2011, 12:38 AM
You can put me down for one of those too. I hope to have extra cash soon, in the next week or two.

QuickSciFi
02-08-2011, 01:12 AM
Yeah, we all hate the idea of donors too. I'm working with someone on PCBs right now, moving a little slower in the sourcing of cart shells and clamshells. I'd like to avoid paying for a mold for cart shells and clamshells and am seeing if we can find a chinese manufacturer that sells empty shells and cases, but if not we'll have to spend the $2k for a mold.

How about this...

If you make one up, I'll print it and ship it over to you free of charge. What do you think?

Tell you what. Make it official, check it and I'll print them myself and send them out. ;)

john8248
02-11-2011, 10:59 AM
It's a nice little game. Very addictive and fun. Unfortunately I ripped some of the plastic on the case when I opened the package, but that's okay. You can't play with boxes anyway.

Job well done! Looking forward to your future releases.

edojapan76
02-14-2011, 11:57 PM
Got mine today. Love it
A funny thing on my "heavily modded" Genesis 3 I don't ever loose! The hang man never shows up, works great on my other systems.

Support dra6oon & buy a standard edition copy
http://www.segaage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=43&threadid=45894

dra600n
02-15-2011, 06:05 PM
Hey guys, just read all the posts in this thread (it's been a few weeks since I've been here). Anyway, here's what I have to say:

Yea, the graphics aren't the greatest, but it's fun, and everyone has been enjoying it :) Over time, I wouldn't mind releasing it to the public as a ROM, except for the fact that randomization through emulation isn't there. You get the first 5 or 6 phrases, then it repeats those 5 or 6 phrases. On the real hardware you actually get randomization.

This past weekend, I went to hang out with my buddy who's a huge gaming aficionado, and I brought him my copy of Hangman. He thought it was cool that I had a game made and produced, but was very skeptical on the actual game itself. He popped it into his CDX and started playing it. An hour and a half later he still wouldn't put the controller down. Him and his wife were enjoying it so much, I ended up leaving it there for them to borrow. It might not be a game that you enjoy, and I respect that. There's not 1 single game out there that pleases every single person :)

As for the Colin Firth coming up so much, that's strange lol. No, I'm not a fan of his, I just took a list of movies I have and picked random names off the back (or front if there were any).

As for the RPG:
I know it's going to be a long, tedious project to get finished, but I do have somewhat of an advantage. The story that I'm using is one that I had written a few years back, just switched up from a modern lifestyle to a fantasy based idea. So, the story is really already 99% written.

Graphics, on the other hand, might prove to be a bit more of a challenge (as I've found out a lot recently, especially with the limitations of the Genesis palette). This project is being treated as if it were my own living flesh and blood, as I've already soaked over 100 hours into the development process alone (I probably put in at least 4 to 5 hours a day, every day since Hangman was finished). As for having a small team - I prefer that :) Matt and Mark are very helpful with production ideas and the actual production of things, as well as feedback and suggestions, as are the other 2 who are somewhat involved with the project with their suggestions and feedback. I won't discuss goals of demos and completions here, as it's all speculative and impossible to judge at this point.

Arfa
02-15-2011, 06:46 PM
Dude that is amazing, I hope you continue more of these projects.
I just have a question, were do you buy the blank cases for the cartage and the box

dra600n
02-15-2011, 06:58 PM
Dude that is amazing, I hope you continue more of these projects.
I just have a question, were do you buy the blank cases for the cartage and the box

You will have to ask MrMark :)

chilled
12-12-2015, 01:49 PM
is this going to be publicly released now that it is no longer sold?

dra600n
12-21-2015, 12:21 AM
is this going to be publicly released now that it is no longer sold?

There is a plan to offer an updated one for free download in the near future, just a few projects need to get finished up first.

bertodecosta
05-15-2020, 04:58 AM
In case anyone didn't know yet,
rom of this game is now available just for $1
in Second Dimension shop :

https://i.ibb.co/xFPdRP7/Hang.jpg

http://www.second-dimension.com/store/34