PDA

View Full Version : Complete SMS Collection

ItellYaHuat
01-27-2011, 04:45 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sega-Master-System-Complete-Collection-/300511509361?pt=Video_Games&hash=item45f7e1bb71

How much is a complete collection really worth? It has the hard to find Alf I see.

goldenband
01-27-2011, 05:01 AM
It ain't worth five grand, especially for a seller who can't be bothered to test the games check the games for completeness/condition.

I don't think that it's even worth four figures, really. The system's not boxed, neither are the peripherals, and a few of the games are loose. Plus none of the US SMS releases are really that rare, are they? At least not when compared to Smurfs 2, some of the Brazilian and Korean games, and so on.

But I got my CIB SMS with light gun and 6 CIB games for $30, so maybe I'm spoiled.

ItellYaHuat
01-27-2011, 05:03 AM
Only ones I can think of that are rare are Alf and Sonic the Hedgehog (US Release).

KnightWarrior
01-27-2011, 05:10 AM
Sonic the Hedgehog (US Release).

It's just the PAL version with a damn sticker

Xeniczone
01-27-2011, 05:15 AM
How can you tell the difference between the US and EU version?

What's up with the 3D glasses? Are they 3rd Party? I have never seen 3D Glasses like that.

ItellYaHuat
01-27-2011, 06:35 AM
It's just the PAL version with a damn sticker

Yeah. Otherwise there's no telling the difference when looking at the cart.

timemaster11
01-27-2011, 08:35 AM
A complete us library, with cases and manuals all in nice shape, is probably worth about 1400-1600. This is assuming it has all the hard to find US titles included with stickers not the EU versions. A diligent collector could probably round it all up for 1000-1200 maybe less if they got lucky with a few of the big titles. When buying a complete set you should expect to pay about 10-20% more for all the work the seller did compiling and all the time they are saving you by not having to assemble it yourself.

goldenband
01-27-2011, 01:00 PM
That sounds about right to me for a mint CIB collection. Given that the system and peripherals have no boxes, and some of the boxed games might not have manuals (he can't be bothered to check), the "seller effort" factor seems diminished here.

He does at least say he tested everything, though, so I've corrected my earlier post. BTW the Sonic the Hedgehog sticker isn't visible in any of his pictures, is it? I didn't spot it.

I don't know, I still think it's pretty ridiculous to put something up for $5k and then say that you're "not going through all of these" to check for condition/completeness. Dude, it's 114 games, you can spend an hour going through them.

Yoder
01-27-2011, 02:25 PM
He's just taking advantage of the "no listing fee" deal ebay has right now and hoping that some rich guy gets excited long enough to click "Buy it now".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the fun in "collecting" actually actively doing the "collecting" vs buying a complete set?