PDA

View Full Version : Why is the Dreamcast so noisy?

Guntz
02-05-2011, 04:03 AM
What makes the DC's disc drive so noisy? Is it the moving parts of the drive? Or is the GD-ROM drive designed to work like that?

Pulstar
02-05-2011, 04:32 AM
Cos it's thinking, d'oh :P

On a more serious note, the faster the drive is generally the more noise it makes, because the motor spins the disc much faster. Which is why the PS2's drive is considered quieter than the 360's. With PC drives it differs from one manufacturer to the next. My LG drive is quieter than my Samsung, for instance.

Of course a wall-o-text explanation may be forthcoming :P

retrospiel
02-05-2011, 12:11 PM
I think it was the fastest drive for the least money. I think Sega tried to produce Dreamcast at the lowest cost possible while providing extremely powerful/efficient hardware.

GohanX
02-05-2011, 02:05 PM
Back then cd/dvd drives kept jumping in speeds, and when a new speed was achieved the drives were very loud. I've heard some that sound like jet engines taking off. It wasn't until a later revision that the drives would get quieter.

One of the biggest issues of CD systems at the time was unbearable load times, so I'm sure Sega wanted the fastest drive they could afford to put in there.

tz101
02-05-2011, 03:31 PM
DC can be quieted. I sprayed silicone lubricant in around the spindle bearing and sled rails, and presto, no more noise.

Just be sure to use silicone based lubricant and nothing petroleum based like WD-40. WD-40 or liquid wrench will end up causing any plastic parts to crack and fail.

16-bit
02-05-2011, 03:34 PM
DC can be quieted. I sprayed silicone lubricant in around the spindle bearing and sled rails, and presto, no more noise.

Just be sure to use silicone based lubricant and nothing petroleum based like WD-40. WD-40 or liquid wrench will end up causing any plastic parts to crack and fail.

Will that work with my modded PSX? That thing is super loud and I'm always afraid it's going to wind up exploding sometime.

David J.
02-05-2011, 03:38 PM

Have a name of a silicone based lubricant? and a photo of the sled rails and spindline bearing so im not spraying around like a nut?

108 Stars
02-05-2011, 03:38 PM
Sega thought loud noise would make people believe all the more how powerful Dreamcast is.

"Listen to the sound of that thing, baby, almost like the GD is being ripped apart!"

So they intentionally threw some loose screws into the drive to make sure it's even louder.

True story. :)

tz101
02-05-2011, 03:44 PM
I don't have any pics, but open the DC lid and you automatically see the spindle where the game disc presses onto (the bearing in directly below). Spray around and underneath liberally with silicone lubricant (watch out to not get silicone lubricant on the laser lens though). To get to the sled rails, take the console apart. The sled rails are the linear devices that the GD spindle slides back and forth on while the game is in play. Spray along those linear rails with silicone lubricant and problem is solved.

Brand I use is Prestone silicone lubricant from an automotive parts store, but brand is not critical. Just make certain it says "silicone lubricant" boldly on the front label.

mick_aka
02-05-2011, 07:04 PM
Back then cd/dvd drives kept jumping in speeds, and when a new speed was achieved the drives were very loud. I've heard some that sound like jet engines taking off. It wasn't until a later revision that the drives would get quieter.

Very true, the first 32X CD-ROM drive I had was a Teac external SCSI unit, the thing sounded like a broken air conditioner being turned up.

GohanX
02-05-2011, 07:37 PM
Very true, the first 32X CD-ROM drive I had was a Teac external SCSI unit, the thing sounded like a broken air conditioner being turned up.

Yeah, but 32X SCSI when it was new was full of :rock::rock::rock:

j_factor
02-05-2011, 11:35 PM
Why is the Dreamcast so nosy? It's always getting up in my business.

KitsuneNight
01-12-2014, 10:13 AM
Why is the Dreamcast so nosy? It's always getting up in my business.

they got ointments for that

anyway this seems worth looking in to to shut my dreamcast up

and as such a necrobump

well a exhumation really

NeoVamp
01-12-2014, 11:04 AM
they got ointments for that

anyway this seems worth looking in to to shut my dreamcast up

and as such a necrobump

well a exhumation really

Use some fucking punctuation marks next time you necrobump, it makes the whole ordeal a lot less painful.

KitsuneNight
01-12-2014, 11:07 AM
and use more elixier ?!

preposterous !

TmEE
01-12-2014, 11:15 AM
How about some capitals too ? :P

As far as drive noise goes, tiny gears and great speeds. Lubricate them up and things go whole lot more quieter.

KitsuneNight
01-12-2014, 11:27 AM
http://8th-circuit.com/sites/default/files/impossibru_o_302535.jpg

anyway i will lube my dreamcast something fierce !

IrishNinja
01-12-2014, 11:37 AM
Use some fucking punctuation marks next time you necrobump, it makes the whole ordeal a lot less painful.

proper punctuation is like

totally overrated

KitsuneNight
01-12-2014, 11:40 AM
totally

o.pwuaioc
01-12-2014, 11:55 AM
Use proper grease, too. I saw someone on another forum use vegetable oil. :?

KitsuneNight
01-12-2014, 12:00 PM
Use proper grease, too. I saw someone on another forum use vegetable oil. :?

now you got me morbidly curious
care to tell me more ?
what machine ws the unfortunate victim and what happend ?

the magic blue smoke ?

if you release the magic blue smoke electronics dont work anymore

o.pwuaioc
01-12-2014, 02:31 PM
now you got me morbidly curious
care to tell me more ?
what machine ws the unfortunate victim and what happend ?

the magic blue smoke ?

if you release the magic blue smoke electronics dont work anymore
I don't think anything happened right away, but it's not good for a lube, can gum up, can attract bugs and dust more. It's just a bad substitute.

KitsuneNight
01-12-2014, 02:35 PM
so nothing blew up or seized up ?
thats a bit dissapointing

but no vegetable oil or cooking oil of any kind isnt a good idea

MaxWar
01-12-2014, 03:07 PM
I like Silicone grease for gears in electronics.

Cross
01-12-2014, 06:52 PM
You could just take the top off as well.

Moirai
01-12-2014, 07:12 PM
The Saturn drive is actually fairly quiet compared to the PS1 and especially DC. NGCD drive is nearly silent.

goldenband
01-12-2014, 07:24 PM
What's "normal" drive noise for a Dreamcast? Mine (bought in 2008) intermittently makes a noise like a duck quacking during disk access ("waak...waak, waak..."), which I assume is the laser assembly tracking back and forth, and it hasn't changed in six years.

Pulstar
01-12-2014, 10:37 PM
Seek times on GD-ROMs were much better than CDR's since the files were positioned for faster access, at least that's the theory. If you dump the files from a GDI image and burn them to an ISO the laser will weep. There was also the dummy file in case the game was smaller than the 1Gb limit of the disc format, in order for the laser to travel shorter distances.

sketch
01-12-2014, 11:11 PM
I remember some people complaining about the DC drive noise back in the day. I never minded it. In fact, I found it strangely soothing. It's like that little demon of a system was working its ass off to give me the best gaming experience possible:)

I never found the noise of the DC to be distracting during gameplay, but it was noticeably louder than most other disc-based systems at that time.

Chibisteven
01-12-2014, 11:25 PM
A lot of the parts of the Dreamcast are loud. The fan is loud. The drive is really loud. But it's nothing really. You could install a brushless spindle (for god's sake don't lub the inside of those unless you want a failure) that works with the drive with the appoarite modifications though I'm not sure if it's possible at all and lub the gears, the acoustics of the case probably make it louder, too. As for the fan, it's just a combination of acoustics of the case and cheap fan pushing out hot air, the fan seems quieter with the top part of the shell off.

Pulstar
01-12-2014, 11:26 PM
I wish it'd come with a headphone jack though, since most CRT's didn't have 3.55mm line-out

Chibisteven
01-12-2014, 11:43 PM
I wish it'd come with a headphone jack though, since most CRT's didn't have 3.55mm line-out

I wish it came with SPDIF / TOSLINK out. Nothing worse than a ground loop or video line noise from loads of equipment chaining. Both cases can be fixed with a mod or two.

Most newer CRTS with Stereo A/V jacks do have a variable out. You can turn off the speakers on some TVs like that. My CRT has a variable line out in the back as well as an option to turn off the speakers / headphones. And a headphone jack.

Side note: I can reproduce most of Sonic Adventure's sound effect oddilities in the 2010 PC version. The fault of a game that has broken Surround Sound, a Pro Logic II encode seems to reproduce that oddility (use phase shifting in the rear). The car sound effect in Station Square for instance is a good example. Fuck QSound. :) Reverb effects of sound effects were produced by the Dreamcast's internal DSP.

xelement5x
01-13-2014, 12:47 PM
What's "normal" drive noise for a Dreamcast? Mine (bought in 2008) intermittently makes a noise like a duck quacking during disk access ("waak...waak, waak..."), which I assume is the laser assembly tracking back and forth, and it hasn't changed in six years.

LOL. I read this and heard that waak waak noise in my head at the same time. I bought my DC new in 99 and it's always sounded like this as long as I can remember.

bultje112
01-13-2014, 12:49 PM

spindle bearing? could you pount that out in a picture? I don't know what you mean in english :P

Chibisteven
01-13-2014, 07:44 PM
spindle bearing? could you pount that out in a picture? I don't know what you mean in english :P

It's the thing that spins CDs. It's where the center hole in the CD goes through. There is two types of these in CD players, etc. The cheaper ones can lubracated (noiser). The more expensive brushless ones can't without a failure happening (quieter).

All motors and spinning parts have bearings. The long needle like thing the top part rests on leads down into the motor's bearing (usually called a shaft).

It's hard for me to explain it well, but I know what he is talking about.

BoostedGR33K
01-13-2014, 09:11 PM
What makes the DC's disc drive so noisy? Is it the moving parts of the drive? Or is the GD-ROM drive designed to work like that?

Its just like the old muscle car days - the one with the loudest motor is the biggest baddest thing around and you dont mess with it at all!!! In a world of sleek shapes and refined manners, Dreamcast is an axe wielding barbarian laying waste to everything in its path. ;D

sketch
01-13-2014, 11:01 PM
Its just like the old muscle car days - the one with the loudest motor is the biggest baddest thing around and you dont mess with it at all!!! In a world of sleek shapes and refined manners, Dreamcast is an axe wielding barbarian laying waste to everything in its path. ;D

I like this description. It does sum up the feeling I used to get when I heard the DC noises.

bultje112
01-14-2014, 05:24 AM
It's the thing that spins CDs. It's where the center hole in the CD goes through. There is two types of these in CD players, etc. The cheaper ones can lubracated (noiser). The more expensive brushless ones can't without a failure happening (quieter).

All motors and spinning parts have bearings. The long needle like thing the top part rests on leads down into the motor's bearing (usually called a shaft).

It's hard for me to explain it well, but I know what he is talking about.

and I just put cilicone spray on that? wouldn't that make the cd's dirty that play on it?

old man
01-15-2014, 12:57 AM
I like this description. It does sum up the feeling I used to get when I heard the DC noises.

The feeling I got was, "what the fuck is that noise, and why won't it stop?". ;D Also: "Is it eating the disk?"