PDA

View Full Version : Affinity:Sorrow

Zebbe
05-03-2011, 04:25 PM
Affinity:Sorrow is a new game for the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis, developed by Team Mysidia, of Hangman SG fame. Keeping up with the tradition of new games for Sega's 16-bit system, Affinity:Sorrow is an RPG (I have a feeling this will lead to complaints from people who contribute nothing, it happened before...). I really love RPGs and the project seems very promising so far, but it's still quite early in development, so we need to give it some time. I wish the Mysidia Team the best of luck with this project, and I can't wait to see what innovations they will bring to the Mega Drive/Genesis scene.

Here is the link to the official page of the developers, Airwalk Studios:

http://www.airwalkstudios.com/as.php

Kamahl
05-03-2011, 04:43 PM
Hehehe, ANOTHER one, wow, we really want to take that "king of rpgs" title away from the SNES don't we sega fans? :lol:

Sik
05-03-2011, 04:59 PM
The fun thing is that I think some comment on this site before mentioned that the Mega Drive actually had more RPGs than the SNES... just they weren't as well-known (in fact, aren't pretty much all the well-known SNES RPGs from Square?).

Zebbe
05-03-2011, 05:00 PM
I think the PlayStation 1 is the King of RPGs :).

Kamahl
05-03-2011, 05:03 PM
Well the Saturn is also the king of shooters... from the 5th generation ;)

QuickSciFi
05-03-2011, 05:08 PM
Well, I'm on board. I enjoyed Hangman. I'm certain I'll enjoy this one, too.

kokujin
05-03-2011, 05:10 PM
The PC is the king of RPGs, but the DS is a close second.

Guntz
05-07-2011, 08:24 PM
Yeah, when are we going to see some action games? How about a shooter, platformer, beat em up, fighting game or even a puzzle game? ANYTHING is better than yet another RPG at this point.

InternalPrimate
05-07-2011, 08:37 PM
I'm all for another new Genesis/MD title, but am I the only one who wants to make fun of the title?!? Is it a new video game or a d-bag t-shirt?

http://www.sportsvendor.biz/112659-171080-large/mens-affliction-long-sleeve-t-shirts-aff-lt-69.jpg

Sik
05-07-2011, 10:02 PM
Yeah, when are we going to see some action games? How about a shooter, platformer, beat em up, fighting game or even a puzzle game? ANYTHING is better than yet another RPG at this point.Anybody wants to finish Project MD? =P

Chilly Willy
05-07-2011, 11:15 PM
Anybody wants to finish Project MD? =P

What does it need still?

Sik
05-07-2011, 11:40 PM
Complete all the levels, do the bosses, implement saving, credits, cheats, etc. (I think Oerg may attempt to port the sounds to the new Echo, I wonder when he'll do it, he was checking the docs for doing that)

Chilly Willy
05-08-2011, 02:08 AM
Complete all the levels, do the bosses, implement saving, credits, cheats, etc. (I think Oerg may attempt to port the sounds to the new Echo, I wonder when he'll do it, he was checking the docs for doing that)

Oh, is that all? That's practically done! :D

Saving and credits should be pretty easy. Cheats would probably be next. Bosses are probably the hardest of the list. Levels aren't hard, they just need someone with the ability to make good levels. It's like art or music - it's a skill that you have or don't have; it's also subjective as to whether you're any good. :)

Sik
05-08-2011, 02:40 AM
I guess I hihacked the thread already? =P (there isn't much to talk about Affinity anyways... I mean, a scrolling tilemap and some random sprites? That's all, really?)

Oh, is that all? That's practically done! :DEasier said than done (though it's true it's more than 50% complete, with eight levels practically finished...)

Saving and credits should be pretty easy.Saving isn't going to be easy. Look into the options menu, you'll find out that two of the options deal with copying the savegame data in the Mega CD back-up RAM (essentially allowing you to take the savegame out of the cartridge). That requires loading the Mega CD BIOS to get it mess with the memory (and no, I don't think that messing with the filesystem directly would be a good idea, there's a good reason why it's part of the firmware).

Credits should be easy, yes, but we need to design them =P

Cheats would probably be next.And unlockables? And easter eggs? =P

Bosses are probably the hardest of the list.I guess we'll need a good programmer here. Also I don't want lame bosses, Dark Stephany is meant to be merciless. Just look at her (incomplete) behavior in Binary Fury, she never stops moving. And it looks lame because her attacks aren't programmed yet. When she rams onto the floor, she's meant to cause a wave that you have to jump (also when she bounces off the floor is the only time you can attack her). And when she flies over you she's meant to drop bombs all over the screen. Yes, that's evil =P

Also I was planning to make the last level a mini-shump. Homage to Segagaga's final boss =P

Levels aren't hard, they just need someone with the ability to make good levels. It's like art or music - it's a skill that you have or don't have; it's also subjective as to whether you're any good. :)In the case of Waterlava, it'll probably involve programming some new objects. In fact, two power-ups were planned for that specific level (a fire power-up and a water power-up).

Also you missed my "etc." part. The intro is extremely incomplete (do you really think it's meant to end at the 3D starfield?). Also there was the suggestion of adding bonus stages. Also some screens are incomplete (score tally, anyone?). Lots of sound effects are missing too. And what about tiny details? Rhombuses just vanishing is lame, how about making them blink or something? Yeah, there's a lot to be done yet.

EDIT: also don't forget the game is written 100% in assembler, using snasm68k/asm68k/asmx syntax, at that.

EDIT 2: also if anybody decides to continue Project MD officially (i.e. not a fork) then that person will have to accept my licensing ideas for this game, period. If you don't like the idea of not having any kind of DRM and not sending C&D to ROM sites that try to host the game, don't even bother with it.

Chilly Willy
05-08-2011, 05:35 AM
Easier said than done (though it's true it's more than 50% complete, with eight levels practically finished...)

I was being sarcastic. :D

Saving isn't going to be easy. Look into the options menu, you'll find out that two of the options deal with copying the savegame data in the Mega CD back-up RAM (essentially allowing you to take the savegame out of the cartridge). That requires loading the Mega CD BIOS to get it mess with the memory (and no, I don't think that messing with the filesystem directly would be a good idea, there's a good reason why it's part of the firmware).

It's a CD game? I thought it was a cart. Cart sram is easy to deal with. CD bram is a little more work.

Credits should be easy, yes, but we need to design them =P

It's just as well you wait to the end to do that.

And unlockables? And easter eggs? =P

You said cheats, not easter eggs. :)

Lockables are more work depending on what they are. A different playable character would depend on how different their moves are from the regular character. Simple example - "new" character with same moves and whatnot is relatively simple compared to new character with all new moves.

I guess we'll need a good programmer here. Also I don't want lame bosses, Dark Stephany is meant to be merciless. Just look at her (incomplete) behavior in Binary Fury, she never stops moving. And it looks lame because her attacks aren't programmed yet. When she rams onto the floor, she's meant to cause a wave that you have to jump (also when she bounces off the floor is the only time you can attack her). And when she flies over you she's meant to drop bombs all over the screen. Yes, that's evil =P

How hard it will be for a programmer depends partly on how well documented the boss actions are - that and how much trouble it is to do those actions on the console. For example, having a thousand spears suddenly impale a character would be a bit tough to pull off on the MD. Having a light flash and the opponent falls over dead would be easy (but not very good for a move). :)

Also I was planning to make the last level a mini-shump. Homage to Segagaga's final boss =P

Sounds pretty cool.

In the case of Waterlava, it'll probably involve programming some new objects. In fact, two power-ups were planned for that specific level (a fire power-up and a water power-up).

Yes, certain things about levels requires coordination with the programmer. I'm not sure how much more you planned to add to the levels.

Also you missed my "etc." part. The intro is extremely incomplete (do you really think it's meant to end at the 3D starfield?). Also there was the suggestion of adding bonus stages. Also some screens are incomplete (score tally, anyone?). Lots of sound effects are missing too. And what about tiny details? Rhombuses just vanishing is lame, how about making them blink or something? Yeah, there's a lot to be done yet.

I mentioned above the "practically done" was sarcasm. In particular, the last 5% of the game is often 90% of the work, and you're not even that far yet. :D

EDIT: also don't forget the game is written 100% in assembler, using snasm68k/asm68k/asmx syntax, at that.

Meh - assembler is no biggy. Not to me at least. ;) Been coding in pure assembly nearly as long as not. I've always enjoyed 68000 programming in particular. It does limit the pool of talent you can draw from, though. At least there's the point that many MD programmers learned the 68000 (and often the z80). As a comparison, how many PC programmers know assembly of any kind?

EDIT 2: also if anybody decides to continue Project MD officially (i.e. not a fork) then that person will have to accept my licensing ideas for this game, period. If you don't like the idea of not having any kind of DRM and not sending C&D to ROM sites that try to host the game, don't even bother with it.

Well, it is your game and ideas, so it would make sense that you'd have that kind of control over it.

Zebbe
05-08-2011, 05:42 AM
Yeah, when are we going to see some action games? How about a shooter, platformer, beat em up, fighting game or even a puzzle game? ANYTHING is better than yet another RPG at this point.

Why don't you make one, then?

Sik
05-08-2011, 07:44 AM
It's a CD game? I thought it was a cart. Cart sram is easy to deal with. CD bram is a little more work.No, it's a cartridge game. I even mentioned that in my post =P But if a Mega CD was connected, you'd be able to copy the savegames into the Mega CD internal back-up memory, rather than being stuck to the cartridge's save memory.

Lockables are more work depending on what they are. A different playable character would depend on how different their moves are from the regular character. Simple example - "new" character with same moves and whatnot is relatively simple compared to new character with all new moves.No new characters =/ Actually Waterlava is meant to be an unlockable (you'd get it if you beat the game, that's why it's the last level in the list and why it's the only level that isn't related to computers at all).

I mentioned above the "practically done" was sarcasm. In particular, the last 5% of the game is often 90% of the work, and you're not even that far yet. :DAnd that 5% is fixing bugs. But I fix the bugs as soon as I find them (this actually "slowed" down development back then as progress would be halted until the bug got fixed). I don't think there's any known bug in the game except for the broken sound engine (which should be replaced, period) or stuff that simply isn't programmed (in which case the "bug" would get fixed by just continuing development).

Meh - assembler is no biggy. Not to me at least. ;) Been coding in pure assembly nearly as long as not. I've always enjoyed 68000 programming in particular. It does limit the pool of talent you can draw from, though. At least there's the point that many MD programmers learned the 68000 (and often the z80). As a comparison, how many PC programmers know assembly of any kind?How many MD programmers exist and how many PC programmers exist? =P

Also the syntax part is a problem, because a lot of people learned to use AS, which has somewhat different syntax for some relatively advanced features, or GAS (to go along with GCC), which has completely different syntax for anything that isn't an opcode, and that's going by the assumption MRI compatibility mode is being used. So that alone is asking for trouble as well.

Well, it is your game and ideas, so it would make sense that you'd have that kind of control over it.Some people here wouldn't tolerate it at all claiming I'm letting people steal the work.

Melf
05-08-2011, 12:24 PM
Why are you worrying about unlockables and writing the memory to the CD? Those sound like things to consider AFTER the game is done.

BeaglePuss
05-08-2011, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the plug Zebbe!

As for the game, we've made a great deal of progress over the course of the past few months. Much of the development has been kept under-wraps as it's a bit too early to unveil. We'll certainly post updates on our message boards, these boards, Sega Age, and even our Twitter account.

I can't say much about the game being another RPG honestly. As of now there's only been a single homebrew RPG title for the system (that I know of), and it's a damn good one. We're hoping to make another memorable RPG for a console that was somewhat lacking in the genre during it's lifespan. I'm sure there will be more homebrews created for the Genesis as teams like Water Melon and ourselves show that it can (and should) be done. I know that Water Melon is working on another release, and we certainly don't plan on stopping at one.

Beyond this title, our team is currently working on producing games for other platforms such as the NES. The production-runs will be far smaller and less involved (at first), but our first collaborative release will be ready within the week. We've been working with a few different NES developers in hopes of broadening our horizons, and we're extremely pleased with how these other projects are panning out.

If anyone has suggests, please feel free to join the Airwalk Studios message boards. It's an excellent opportunity to add to the creative process while the game is still in it's infancy.

Thanks for the support, and we'll keep you posted!

Sik
05-08-2011, 01:55 PM
Why are you worrying about unlockables and writing the memory to the CD? Those sound like things to consider AFTER the game is done.Technically, the Mega CD thing does matter because it affects the savegame format (since Mega CD blocks are 64 bytes long, or 32 bytes long if you use "protected" mode but that isn't available cartridge-side for obvious reasons). The unlockables also matter since they may make some assumptions stop being true anymore, and those can be harder to hack in later (not to mention they also affect the savegame format since they have to be stored!).

Adding eye candy like shinny blinking rhombuses would qualify more towards being added at the end, really.

We're hoping to make another memorable RPG for a console that was somewhat lacking in the genre during it's lifespan.The Mega Drive wasn't really lacking all that much in RPGs, it's just that SNES got all the Square ones and nobody cared about non-Square RPGs with very few exceptions, which is why the Mega Drive ended up looking like it had very few RPGs (now, how many MD RPGs suck or not, that's a different thing).

I'd be more worried about homebrewers taking up on the hardest tasks. I mean, RPGs are probably the hardest genre to make on the console, and a lot of homebrewers are just starting and have no idea what it takes up to handle a big project. Just look what happened to Pier Solar, it went into development hell and took six years to complete. You'd think people would be smarter.

Chilly Willy
05-08-2011, 02:15 PM
The thing is, CD bram is only 8KB and you have to share it with other games; some space is lost to formatting/file handling. The cart sram can be 32KB and is not shared. Forget trying to use bram if you're not a CD game.

Syntax on assembly isn't a big deal - once you know assembly, adjusting to a different syntax is easy. Certainly much easier than learning assembly in the first place. It's harder to get everyone to agree on tab styles and comments than to adjust to syntax. ;) :D

I'd be more worried about homebrewers taking up on the hardest tasks. I mean, RPGs are probably the hardest genre to make on the console, and a lot of homebrewers are just starting and have no idea what it takes up to handle a big project. Just look what happened to Pier Solar, it went into development hell and took six years to complete. You'd think people would be smarter.

Yeah! We need more pong and breakout clones! :D

I wouldn't think RPGs are the hardest from a programming point of view. I think a platformer would be.

djshok
05-08-2011, 02:33 PM
Man if someone would finish Project MD that would be beyond awesome. I love that game. What's there is great, it would be fantatic to have a finished product. I'd love to make some box art for it too :D

Sik
05-08-2011, 02:35 PM
The thing is, CD bram is only 8KB and you have to share it with other games; some space is lost to formatting/file handling. The cart sram can be 32KB and is not shared. Forget trying to use bram if you're not a CD game.The cartridge's own memory would still be the main storage media, the Mega CD option is offered for back-up purposes. Geez, how hard is it to understand that the game would support both? =P

Also, with the content that would be available currently, Project MD would need a grand total of... 4 bits. Serious. We could probably later add things like saving some options (if we add them) and such, but it'll still fit in a single Mega CD block anyways. So it really shouldn't be an issue.

And you forget that you can use this to copy the data between cartridges ;)

Syntax on assembly isn't a big deal - once you know assembly, adjusting to a different syntax is easy. Certainly much easier than learning assembly in the first place. It's harder to get everyone to agree on tab styles and comments than to adjust to syntax. ;) :DUntil you figure out nobody wants to switch assemblers. Hint: asmx is buggy, snasm68 and asm68k are both closed source and in fact no homebrewer really owns a legal license to use it. That scares people away, you know =P (OK, technically nobody should even have the MD documentation for starters...)

Yeah! We need more pong and breakout clones! :DYeah, because those are the only genres we have besides RPGs, sure... (wait, is there any MD breakout homebrew?)

I wouldn't think RPGs are the hardest from a programming point of view. I think a platformer would be.No, platformers are pretty easy to make really programming-wise. The only hard thing would be the object manager, but that's true for other genres too.

RPGs have lots of assets though, and that's a serious issue.

EDIT: should I learn Japanese and try to bribe AnalYoGirl into finishing the game programming? (and maybe provide Stephany's voice) =P

BeaglePuss
05-08-2011, 05:19 PM

RPGs might appear harder at a glance, but in order to make a good shmup or fighter it would take some serious time/skill. I think an RPG makes perfect sense for a first time large-scale project. Beyond that, the team really wanted to make an RPG, so that's how we ended up here.

We're also not as new to the homebrew scene as you may think. Our artist worked on Battle Kid which is by far and away the highest selling NES homebrew of all time. Mark and I have created thousands of games (reproductions and homebrews) for both the NES and Genesis. We've got pcbs schematics created and ready to produce, and we're ironing out the details on cart/shell sourcing. We've been doing this for a few years now, so a project of this scale is a logical next step. Adam created Hangman as a way of getting his feet wet in Genny programming, but he's a skilled and experienced programmer. Work on the project is going extremely smooth at the moment, and we couldn't be happier.

Pier Solar took some time and certainly had some set backs, but it ultimately became the most successful homebrew in the history of our hobby. Much like us they had plenty of people that were excited from the beginning, while others were skeptical. We have high expectations for our project, and we're sure we'll provide a product that classic gamers will enjoy.

Sik
05-08-2011, 05:47 PM
RPGs might appear harder at a glance, but in order to make a good shmup or fighter it would take some serious time/skill. I think an RPG makes perfect sense for a first time large-scale project.No, the amount of assets a RPG requires is huge in comparison to other genres. RPGs may not risk eating up 100% CPU, but they still require a huge amount of work because of all the data that needs to be made.

Each to its own, I guess...

BeaglePuss
05-08-2011, 05:53 PM
Each to its own, I guess...

Yeah, that's pretty much what it boils down to I suppose.

Are you planning on doing a wide-scale release of Project MD, or is it just something you've done on the side for fun? From what I've seen on youtube the game has some potential to be fun. It looks polished from what I can tel.

Sik
05-08-2011, 06:23 PM
It started as a project to kill boredom... that's why the engine is so lame. Its technology is subpar even for late NES games, it doesn't have vertical scrolling or slopes at all, and it shows (the game is boring, seriously, and the power-up system doesn't make up for it).

Guntz
05-08-2011, 06:26 PM
Why don't you make one, then?

I would definitely make one, but I don't know enough to program the Genesis yet. I should pick up C or something and learn that for a while. Perhaps one day, there will be a new game being written by Guntz, the Sega-16 user nobody knew.

Also, I too did not know Project MD was for the Sega CD. Isn't that name wrong then? Pretty darn impressive. I thought the Sega CD wasn't well documented, or at least it was tough to program for.

BeaglePuss
05-08-2011, 06:32 PM
It started as a project to kill boredom... that's why the engine is so lame. Its technology is subpar even for late NES games, it doesn't have vertical scrolling or slopes at all, and it shows (the game is boring, seriously, and the power-up system doesn't make up for it).

Even with all that, the game has some serious potential. People seem to be into the idea of a new MD platformer (myself included), and it would be really cool if it originated from Sega-16.

Sik
05-08-2011, 07:19 PM
Also, I too did not know Project MD was for the Sega CD. Isn't that name wrong then? Pretty darn impressive. I thought the Sega CD wasn't well documented, or at least it was tough to program for.*headdesk*

It's a cartridge game, dammit. It just happens to be able to use the Mega CD if present for an extra optional feature (which right now isn't even programmed other than some text in the options menu). Just like how Pier Solar can use the Mega CD but it isn't required.

Even with all that, the game has some serious potential. People seem to be into the idea of a new MD platformer (myself included), and it would be really cool if it originated from Sega-16.I don't think I'd label it from Sega-16, especially considering how it was announced on Sega Retro much before it was on Sega-16.

But yeah, the only redeeming point so far is that it's a new platformer (with some weird art direction maybe). I think people should expect at least the basics to be done properly, right? As it is, it looks like a Super Mario Bros wannabe =P

And in case somebody wonders, the idea was to release the ROM and make money off selling cartridges.

djshok
05-08-2011, 08:09 PM

I think you're way to tough on yourself. I don't know about other people, but I for one really enjoy playing it. The engine isn't as bad as you think, I actually really dig the super responsive and polished controls. Compared to the many shitty official MD platformers this one plays like a gem. Also the levels are really neat, I love the backgrounds and overall atmosphere, especially in the ethernet level. The overall feel of the game is great and even if it's simple it works, simplicity is a tricky thing, but when it works well it works really well. Look at Sonic, all the gameplay consists of, is hold right and hit jump sometimes, but it's a masterpiece. Plus the character is really cool and dare I say iconic.

I can understand how you're tired of working on the project, but I sincerely hope someone else picks it up and finishes it off. I'd love to play this game on my Genesis.

Sik
05-08-2011, 08:22 PM
I think you're way to tough on yourself.I'll need to reupload the Goober Adventure prototype, if you see that you'll understand what I mean... I've done much better before, plain and simple.

The engine isn't as bad as you think, I actually really dig the super responsive and polished controls.No vertical scrolling, no slopes. While the lack of slopes may be somewhat tolerable, the lack of vertical scrolling hurts level design a lot, making it essentially impossible to have branching paths. Levels are extremely linear and uninteresting.

It does irk me when platformers have shitty controls, though, I agree. I mean, how come it's so hard to get them working right? Check if the button is pressed and set a couple of values accordingly if so. There isn't much more to it.

Plus the character is really cool and dare I say iconic.Can we make her the official homebrew mascot then? :3

I can understand how you're tired of working on the project, but I sincerely hope someone else picks it up and finishes it off. I'd love to play this game on my Genesis.I'm tired of the limitations of the engine really. Let's see if I can find a suitable programmer =/

Also where's the quote about derailing threads? =P

djshok
05-08-2011, 08:55 PM
Can we make her the official homebrew mascot then? :3

I think that would be awesome. Do you have any artwork of her? Maybe we should make a banner out of the sprites too.

I sure hope you find a suitable programmer, or make another game with this character in it.

djshok
05-08-2011, 08:59 PM
Now to re-rail this thread back to the topic. I know there isn't much info about Affinity Sorrow just yet, but I must say I do like the concept art.

http://www.airwalkstudios.com/images/patch.jpg

http://www.airwalkstudios.com/images/shadow.jpg

dra600n
05-08-2011, 09:04 PM

I think what you fail to realize is that the people who make these games, make the games they want to make :) Just because you don't like RPG's doesn't mean others feel the same.

I think the PlayStation 1 is the King of RPGs :).

I agree, however, in the 8 and 16-bit world, SNES trumps all :P

I'm all for another new Genesis/MD title, but am I the only one who wants to make fun of the title?!? Is it a new video game or a d-bag t-shirt?

http://www.sportsvendor.biz/112659-171080-large/mens-affliction-long-sleeve-t-shirts-aff-lt-69.jpg

I laughed at this lol, feel free to make fun of the title ;)

I guess I hihacked the thread already? =P (there isn't much to talk about Affinity anyways... I mean, a scrolling tilemap and some random sprites? That's all, really?)

There's not much to show to the public just yet, but I assure you there's more going on that we're letting out :) The map engine has gone over several overhauls to accommodate several things, as well as fix any bugs that were present and to optimize it. Hopefully within the next month or 2, there will be a lot more to show :)

ETA:
Thanks for posting those djshok :) Mr. Gimmick is a fantastic artist, and the sprites he's come up with so far that haven't been show are absolutely amazing as well.

Sik
05-08-2011, 09:08 PM
I think that would be awesome. Do you have any artwork of her? Maybe we should make a banner out of the sprites too.Um, I have this art Chimpo made some time ago, but it isn't official and she even has wrong clothes (she wears shorts, not a skirt). It isn't even in the same art style as the game:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/12/22/543510/kawaiistephany.jpg

Maybe we should move this discussion back to the old Project MD thread?

There's not much to show to the public just yet, but I assure you there's more going on that we're letting out :) The map engine has gone over several overhauls to accommodate several things, as well as fix any bugs that were present and to optimize it. Hopefully within the next month or 2, there will be a lot more to show :)Can't you at least post a pic of something that looks like proper gameplay (or looks like it) and not a test map? That'd help a lot, you know =P

dra600n
05-08-2011, 09:20 PM
Can't you at least post a pic of something that looks like proper gameplay (or looks like it) and not a test map? That'd help a lot, you know =P

Mr. Gimmick has been insanely busy the last few weeks with finals for school, so next week he'll be able to work on the graphics more (some of them need redoing). This is why only the demo map has been shown at this point. There's a new video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YjIz8zj4Dg that shows a little more, but since it's pretty much the same as the previous demo, I didn't bother updating the website just yet. You'll see the start of where the text will be, and a palette fade in/out routine.

I know the project seems to be lacking, or almost on the "abandoned" status at the moment, but it really isn't :) The biggest problem is Mr. Gimmick has school to focus on, and I work a 40+ hour work week, so coding isn't always my top priority, but when I'm not coding, Gimmick & I are ironing out the story line and coming up with some really awesome ideas for the game =P

Guntz
05-08-2011, 09:35 PM
Also where's the quote about derailing threads? =P

You called?

djshok
05-08-2011, 09:42 PM
Here, I bumped the Project MD thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?15853-Project-MD-download/page4

BeaglePuss
06-22-2011, 11:23 PM
New video is up showing lots of progress:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Dy6z3y1FR0

As always there's a lot going on behind the scenes, but we'll post up dates as we can.

djshok
06-23-2011, 12:30 AM
Sweet! It's looking pretty damn good. Good progress since the last vid.

QuickSciFi
06-23-2011, 03:53 AM
The title does remind me of that Castlevania hack. What was it? Cacophony of Chaos

dra600n
06-23-2011, 07:57 PM
@djshok: thanks :) a lot more has been done since the vid (yea, I know, was just posted yesterday lol), so maybe one day soon we'll release another update for everyone.

@QuickSciFi: is that a good thing or bad? lol

puddingdragon
06-23-2011, 08:49 PM
Its looking great guys cant wait to play it :)

dra600n
07-04-2011, 03:21 PM
A little 4th of July present: a new video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZvw0pzsAZ8

Full article can be found here: http://www.airwalkstudios.com/

Enjoy

Kamahl
07-04-2011, 04:50 PM
Another FF battle system clone? :(, Oh well, at least the game looks cool.

Guntz
07-04-2011, 04:57 PM
^The character designs look FF-esque too.

To be honest here though, the background used in that battle sequence rocked my socks off. I wasn't expecting it to look so damned good!

dra600n
07-04-2011, 06:03 PM
The battle system won't be a Final Fantasy clone, I assure you :)

Kamahl
07-04-2011, 06:23 PM
The battle system won't be a Final Fantasy clone, I assure you :)

Ah thank god. The more "action oriented" you make it the better, or the total opposite, strategic. Anything but the standard "wait for your turn and use magic/skill that affects the enemy the most but doesn't waste too much mana" crap.

The battle background was excellent. Totally agree with guntz on that one.

Clessy
07-04-2011, 07:19 PM
Im sure a lot of the graphics are place holder graphics at the moment. However I prey the menu looks vastly better than that in the final product. Also just like I mentioned on the official forums I still feel like there are to many repeating tiles in town. Giving it that cheap rpgmaker feel.

dra600n
07-04-2011, 07:32 PM
The battle menu hasn't been fully designed yet, but that's not what it will end up looking like. No worries on that front :)

QuickSciFi
07-04-2011, 07:36 PM

@QuickSciFi: is that a good thing or bad? lol

It can only mean good things.

Mr Gimmick
07-10-2011, 03:15 AM
Many of these graphics are place-holders and are constantly evolving and being re-worked. More graphics are being added and changed in the town, and the menu system has been completely re-designed.

tomaitheous
07-10-2011, 03:37 AM
Looking good so far :D

Royce
08-19-2011, 03:07 AM
I just saw the new video. I don't know why but the windmill really impressed me for some reason. In other news, I was wondering about some forum stuff that deals with this game. Is this thread not stickied because it is so soon in development, or is it because of the fact that this isn't the official thread? Also with this new blast processing section of the forum will all future game releases be stickied here? I personally think that homebrew games that have a cart release should go in Genesis does. Sort of like how it was done in the past with Pier Solar.

Clessy
08-21-2011, 02:34 PM
Many of these graphics are place-holders and are constantly evolving and being re-worked. More graphics are being added and changed in the town, and the menu system has been completely re-designed.Well when I see yoou avatar It makes me not worry at all. Did you make that? Its fucking fantastic. If thats being pulled off on the genesis my hats of to you.

slobu
08-22-2011, 01:56 AM
The windmill really is impressive. It's not YouTube that's getting better framerates: his code is actually making the scrolling smoother. I really dig the Aria:Sorrow team.

As for pinning homebrew that intends to release real carts.. I dunno. Could turn out to be a moral boosting thing but also a hall of shame for those projects that don't make it.

I fully intend to make my current project a real cart. It would be real neat to produce a batch for gamers. I also know that projects can take longer than expected and real life can happen.

dra600n
08-24-2011, 02:08 PM
@Clessy, yep, that's one of the monsters in Affinity:Sorrow that Gimmick made :) Have no worries with graphics ;)

@Royce: Thanks :) That windmill was a nightmare to get in there as it really affected the performance of the map engine. Of course, that has all long been fixed :P

@slobu: Thanks :) And you're partially right about the framerates. I'm using CamStudio to do the recordings, and it drops the FPS from 60 to 35-40 fps while recording. The next video will be shown on the real hardware using my digital cam until I set up my capture card. And I can't take all the credit, Mr. Gimmick made the graphics for everything, including the frames :)

Mr Gimmick
09-07-2011, 10:13 AM
Heres the latest video update showing some of the new graphics for the first town. We decided the previous art dirrection wasn't capturing the feel we were looking for so we decided to completely re-do everything rather than create more graphics in the same style.

Sprites will be changed shortly, tho the old sprites are still in there for now. Most of what you see in the video isn't near finished but you will be able to see the basic layout of it as well as get a general idea of where we are going with this.

Enjoy :)! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKIO3FAH7NA&feature=feedu

djshok
09-08-2011, 11:08 AM
That looks pretty cool - more woodsy. I liked the colours in the old one a bit more but the houses in the new version look way better. Will you be bringing back the windmill? That thing was pretty sweet looking.

Royce
09-08-2011, 12:17 PM
Needs more windmill! but I really like the look of the new houses. Completely re-doing the graphics shows a lot of dedication. When I get more money I might even buy Hangman SG again (the newer version) to support you. I found 5 bucks on the ground yesterday so I''m getting close.

Clessy
09-08-2011, 03:05 PM
Heres the latest video update showing some of the new graphics for the first town. We decided the previous art dirrection wasn't capturing the feel we were looking for so we decided to completely re-do everything rather than create more graphics in the same style.

Sprites will be changed shortly, tho the old sprites are still in there for now. Most of what you see in the video isn't near finished but you will be able to see the basic layout of it as well as get a general idea of where we are going with this.

Enjoy :)! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKIO3FAH7NA&feature=feeduI admire the dedication for completely redoing it however it still looks bland and boring. To much repeating tiles. Like cmon lets get more than 1 tree and tree top going on here. Lets also get more than 1 grass tile. The tile quality is good but, the design quality simply isnt. Its very cut and paste still. You also might want to make your camera much more zoomed in. This looks very odd to be seeing so much of the screen. It makes the characters vastly to small and makes noticing the tile repeat over and over way more apparent. Doesnt change my interest in the project but I high recommend taking a look at some ps1 / snes rpgs. Notice how much varrity in tiles they have. Pier Solar barely even looks like it uses tiles. You should be aiming to best PS.

Kamahl
09-08-2011, 03:32 PM
They don't have every tile done, that's just a level to test tiles, it's normal.

Sik
09-08-2011, 07:57 PM
To much repeating tiles. Like cmon lets get more than 1 tree and tree top going on here. Lets also get more than 1 grass tile. The tile quality is good but, the design quality simply isnt. Its very cut and paste still.
Oh, c'mon. I'd prefer extreme tiling that looks good over little repetition but the patterns look like crap. The grass is just a 1616 pattern repeated all over the place but its surface doesn't look flawed at all.

You should be aiming to best PS.
So this should take minimum over 6 years to develop? =P

That said, while the map looks much better, the sprites need to be improved too. Especially the player sprite, the walking animation looks completely wrong. It looks like the body doesn't have any concept of balancing at all, only the arms and legs move, not even the shoulders =/

Barone
09-08-2011, 08:29 PM
The WM groupie strikes once again!

They should be aiming their own ideas and dreams, what they're doing very well.:cool:

Clessy
09-08-2011, 08:47 PM
The WM groupie strikes once again!

They should be aiming their own ideas and dreams, what they're doing very well.:cool:Its called constructive criticism. If they wanted someone to just get down on there knee they wouldnt take the advice of everyone. Plus no one who's posted is at all affiliated with WM.

Mr Gimmick
09-08-2011, 09:57 PM
Does anyone read? I feel like I have wasted my time typing the fact that the town and sprites are in no way finished or near finished. This video is just to demontstrate the layout and a few of the new tiles...

That being said we appreciate any criticism or advice that you may have, but at least realize that you aren't looking at a finished product.

Clessy
09-08-2011, 10:01 PM
Does anyone read? I feel like I have wasted my time typing the fact that the town and sprites are in no way finished or near finished. This video is just to demontstrate the layout and a few of the new tiles...

That being said we appreciate any criticism or advice that you may have, but at least realize that you aren't looking at a finished product.Don't worry we're not judging. Im very excited about the project. I mean I always look at your avatar and the art for this game and I know the graphics have great potential.

Mr Gimmick
09-08-2011, 10:04 PM
Its not that at all, I just want people to realize that 90% of the town graphics that are already finished are not yet imported into the game. It takes time to get everything in there and organize it.

Also, we plan to change the resolution eventually to a more zoomed in size; however this will also alter the proportions of things making them look wider. The genesis is VERY limited in terms of resolution settings so we will do the best we can to adjust it.

Clessy
09-08-2011, 10:32 PM
Yes but this is the most zoomed out genesis rpg ive ever seen. You see way to much of the screen at once.

Barone
09-09-2011, 12:17 AM
Its called constructive criticism. If they wanted someone to just get down on there knee they wouldnt take the advice of everyone. Plus no one who's posted is at all affiliated with WM.

Everybody knows how much you suck on your less than expendable posts.

Constructive criticism?
-Clessy is the guy who thrashed a just-released Beyond Oasis retranslation without even played it, 'cause the job was done using Hex editing only...
-Clessy is the one who comes up in every single thread, no matter in what forum, saying that Pier Solar is an awesome great game and bla bla bla (I'm a PS copy owner, by the way)...
-Clessy is the sucker behind phrases like "I hate all the hardware also" or "emulation is perfect nowadays" or "why do you play this game on Genesis when you can have it on a PS3 with much better image and sound?"
-Clessy is the type of person who talks about how great his friends are to make you impressed.
-Clessy is such a laughable character that you'll find similar types only in the worst B movies.
-Clessy is the guy trying to discourage any good new effort on the retro-game scene, 'cause 16-bit is for losers!

Clessy, you can be anything you want, I don't care, but you'll never be constructive in any moment of your existence.
Even when you think you're being constructive you are doing it wrong, 'cause you suck!

Yes but this is the most zoomed out genesis rpg ive ever seen. You see way to much of the screen at once.
http://files.sharenator.com/a_shame_RE_Most_Random_Flash_Ever-s403x338-80052-580.jpg

Zebbe
09-09-2011, 01:50 AM
-Clessy is the sucker behind phrases like "I hate all the hardware also" or "emulation is perfect nowadays" or "why do you play this game on Genesis when you can have it on a PS3 with much better image and sound?"

Really? That's a laughable statement!

Clessy
09-09-2011, 03:06 AM
Everybody knows how much you suck on your less than expendable posts.

Constructive criticism?
-Clessy is the guy who thrashed a just-released Beyond Oasis retranslation without even played it, 'cause the job was done using Hex editing only...
-Clessy is the one who comes up in every single thread, no matter in what forum, saying that Pier Solar is an awesome great game and bla bla bla (I'm a PS copy owner, by the way)...
-Clessy is the type of person who talks about how great his friends are to make you impressed.
-Clessy is such a laughable character that you'll find similar types only in the worst B movies.
-Clessy is the guy trying to discourage any good new effort on the retro-game scene, 'cause 16-bit is for losers!

Clessy, you can be anything you want, I don't care, but you'll never be constructive in any moment of your existence.
Even when you think you're being constructive you are doing it wrong, 'cause you suck!

http://files.sharenator.com/a_shame_RE_Most_Random_Flash_Ever-s403x338-80052-580.jpgYou are treading an extremely fine line. Just letting you know.

Oh and PS is AWESOME. Are you now saying it shouldnt get praise?

Guntz
09-09-2011, 04:33 AM
Indeed. Explaining why you hate someone is a serious offense here on Sega-16, and I should know. Nope, being an uncontributing and offensive user is A-OK, but speaking the truth about your feelings is a big no-no.

netpredakonn
09-09-2011, 09:43 AM
Its not that at all, I just want people to realize that 90% of the town graphics that are already finished are not yet imported into the game. It takes time to get everything in there and organize it.

Also, we plan to change the resolution eventually to a more zoomed in size; however this will also alter the proportions of things making them look wider. The genesis is VERY limited in terms of resolution settings so we will do the best we can to adjust it.

Looks quite good to me and I'm sure you guys still have some tricks on your sleeves. Could you tell me which sprites you're going to change from this demo? Also do you have a kind of a roadmap? I'm not asking for dates... I just would like to know what sequence you're following, like: making engine, then sprites, then story and so on.

slobu
09-09-2011, 10:19 AM
Hating on Clessy? That's like shouting at your cat that managed to squeeze into your box of pop tarts, eat all of them and shit rainbows while flying across your apartment. Somehow you'd be missing the awesome part.

I'd say let's take what info the Affinity:Sorrow team gives us, sort it into coding progress and art progress and cheer them on. Deadlines and timelines on homebrew suck.

Clessy
09-09-2011, 01:15 PM
Indeed. Explaining why you hate someone is a serious offense here on Sega-16, and I should know. Nope, being an uncontributing and offensive user is A-OK, but speaking the truth about your feelings is a big no-no.It's called tak bro. You can express your opinions without being a straight up offensive name calling douche bag. Or you could break rules, make list that have "facts" that arent even all true and, be very hypocritical about what you do.

dra600n
09-09-2011, 04:00 PM
Looks quite good to me and I'm sure you guys still have some tricks on your sleeves. Could you tell me which sprites you're going to change from this demo? Also do you have a kind of a roadmap? I'm not asking for dates... I just would like to know what sequence you're following, like: making engine, then sprites, then story and so on.

We're still messing with some options and changes, so it's hard to determine what we're exactly changing at the moment and what we aren't. The next changes will take a lot of coding for just a minimal thing, but it is what it is :)

As for Clessy's comment on the map being too viewable all at once - Gimmick & I discussed that last night and we agree with you.
Now, Clessy and everyone else, please take the arguing/name calling to PM please. This is suppose to be a topic of some potential awesomeness, not a flame war :) I'd hate to not come here and post updates because people are arguing/fighting. As Gimmick said, we're giving some updates because we've been silent for a while, and we don't want to make people think we've disappeared or quit on the project. We don't expect everyone to like what we've done/what we're doing/what we plan on doing, and we love hearing everyone's thoughts and opinions, so keep them coming :)

Sik
09-09-2011, 08:19 PM
As for Clessy's comment on the map being too viewable all at once - Gimmick & I discussed that last night and we agree with you.
The problem being, this is how most RPGs look though...

Clessy
09-09-2011, 08:47 PM
The problem being, this is how most RPGs look though... You're completely wrong. 100%
http://pocketmedia.ign.com/pocket/image/article/764/764961/final-fantasy-vi-advance-20070215044811900_640w.jpg
Dont know if I can hot link ign but look at ff6 for a good example. If you can see vastly more than just the building you're infront of then you're doing it wrong.

Sik
09-09-2011, 08:58 PM
The SNES had a smaller resolution. The width is 256 pixels always, but MD games can use either 256 or 320.
The SNES has a taller resolution, but because it usually cuts vblank time badly it's commonplace to get rid of part of the display to get more blanking time.
That image you show there definitely has part of the display cut. If I were to go by the resolution of that image (assuming pixels are square-sized), that'd be around 256170... I guess the game does show a bit more than that, but still, compare that to 320224.
Phantasy Star II and IV are guilty of showing a lot of stuff =P

If anything, complain that the buildings are too small.

Clessy
09-09-2011, 09:18 PM
The only game I can think of that show a lot of screen is phantasy star. I only remembered that after you mentioning them too. Btw the resolution the resolution is weird is thats the GBA version.

Sik
09-09-2011, 09:45 PM
The only game I can think of that show a lot of screen is phantasy star. I only remembered that after you mentioning them too.
Because they ran at 320224. SNES RPGs ran at 256 pixels wide and a shorter height (depends on the game). I know Chrono Trigger shows a huge blank bar at the bottom =/

Btw the resolution the resolution is weird is thats the GBA version.
So 240160... Yeah, not a good comparison =P

Barone
09-09-2011, 09:54 PM
We're still messing with some options and changes, so it's hard to determine what we're exactly changing at the moment and what we aren't. The next changes will take a lot of coding for just a minimal thing, but it is what it is :)

Now, Clessy and everyone else, please take the arguing/name calling to PM please. This is suppose to be a topic of some potential awesomeness, not a flame war :) I'd hate to not come here and post updates because people are arguing/fighting. As Gimmick said, we're giving some updates because we've been silent for a while, and we don't want to make people think we've disappeared or quit on the project. We don't expect everyone to like what we've done/what we're doing/what we plan on doing, and we love hearing everyone's thoughts and opinions, so keep them coming :)

Sorry, but PM fighting is no common here at all.
My bad if I scared you of posting something.
I was encouraging you from the very first post here, if you read.

Clessy just had trashed some other nice (not so nice like your, maybe) initiatives and that led to my rage against him. I want to see this project completed and very well done. I'll be buying a copy as son as get it released, you have my word.

Sorry if I came across your intentions.

I think that some heat is very common across this board. I'll personally not deal roughly with anybody else in this thread, no matter what, 'cause you have been very clear about this somehow going against the project and I'm totally in favor of your project since Ken conducted an interview with you and I just agreed with 100% of your words and attitude.
But behavior control is for the moderators IMO and soon or later you'll need them if you want to keep the things so calm here. If take a look at Pier Solar's and Star Odyssey's official thread you'll see what I'm talking about...

And, personally, I don't care if your game possibly disrespects some called "standards" established by other RPG games. I don't mind about the view being near or far, 'cause I think everything depends on what you guys have in mind. In other words, to be different or even weird is not necessarily bad IMO.
If you use the far view for something different it could be cool. You could take advantage of it and provide some "live" instantaneous fights without the need to switch for a classic battleplan scenario every single time. Sometimes, you could fight right there where you are, maybe a more action oriented fighting sometimes, like just when your are in the towns.
I mean, during a quest is expected to use magic, spells and everything else in a classic battleplan, specially made for that. But maybe I could be just in my hometown and come across some assholes that I would have/like to crush or spank in a more simplified battle system.
A far view of the map open up a possibility for such thing...
Or maybe I'm just saying crazy bullshit, but I'd love to play something like that one day.

dra600n
09-09-2011, 10:19 PM
Sorry, but PM fighting is no common here at all.
My bad if I scared you of posting something.
I was encouraging you from the very first post here, if you read.

Clessy just had trashed some other nice (not so nice like your, maybe) initiatives and that led to my rage against him. I want to see this project completed and very well done. I'll be buying a copy as son as get it released, you have my word.

Sorry if I came across your intentions.

I think that some heat is very common across this board. I'll personally not deal roughly with anybody else in this thread, no matter what, 'cause you have been very clear about this somehow going against the project and I'm totally in favor of your project since Ken conducted an interview with you and I just agreed with 100% of your words and attitude.
But behavior control is for the moderators IMO and soon or later you'll need them if you want to keep the things so calm here. If take a look at Pier Solar's and Star Odyssey's official thread you'll see what I'm talking about...

Oh, I'm not upset by it, but I don't want this thread getting turned into a flame war :) If it does get turned into one, we'll just keep all updates on our site with no place to comment :P Like I said, we love the feedback (both good and bad), it means we're doing our job lol. Clessy did have a good point about the resolution, and after some tests, it does look better in 32 cell mode (256x224).

Sik, we're not entirely happy with the buildings right now, and we're in the process of ironing out all of the details with them. While we both like the newer styles better than the older ones, we feel there is something that just makes it not feel quite right. Reducing the screen res helped a little bit, but again, we're going for what we're happy with and not what everyone else wants, and I don't mean that to come out sounding like "Oh, who cares about what the people want", because it's far from that. Every suggestion we hear we take into serious consideration, even if they're out of this world/unrealistic, but if something feels off to us with anything, we'll be sure to work out every little detail to make sure that it feels right to us.

@Clessy - don't forget Shining Force 1 & 2 - they show a lot as well :)

Clessy
09-09-2011, 11:02 PM
Oh, I'm not upset by it, but I don't want this thread getting turned into a flame war :) If it does get turned into one, we'll just keep all updates on our site with no place to comment :P Like I said, we love the feedback (both good and bad), it means we're doing our job lol. Clessy did have a good point about the resolution, and after some tests, it does look better in 32 cell mode (256x224).

Sik, we're not entirely happy with the buildings right now, and we're in the process of ironing out all of the details with them. While we both like the newer styles better than the older ones, we feel there is something that just makes it not feel quite right. Reducing the screen res helped a little bit, but again, we're going for what we're happy with and not what everyone else wants, and I don't mean that to come out sounding like "Oh, who cares about what the people want", because it's far from that. Every suggestion we hear we take into serious consideration, even if they're out of this world/unrealistic, but if something feels off to us with anything, we'll be sure to work out every little detail to make sure that it feels right to us.

@Clessy - don't forget Shining Force 1 & 2 - they show a lot as well :)lol Shining Force is cheating and you know it :P Now if you wanna make srpg I will in no way try to stop you. Think more Langrisser than Shinning Force if you do though.

Btw come november i'll be in the armed services. I wont have any way to get this game. Can we work out some sort of deal or special reserve. I mean I reserved PS and waited 3 years so I dont really care about waiting I just dont wanna miss any chance what so ever to own the game. Btw it would be nice to see a screenie in the new render mode.

dra600n
09-10-2011, 12:12 AM
lol Shining Force is cheating and you know it :P Now if you wanna make srpg I will in no way try to stop you. Think more Langrisser than Shinning Force if you do though.

Btw come november i'll be in the armed services. I wont have any way to get this game. Can we work out some sort of deal or special reserve. I mean I reserved PS and waited 3 years so I dont really care about waiting I just dont wanna miss any chance what so ever to own the game. Btw it would be nice to see a screenie in the new render mode.

You will get that before November ;) lol

netpredakonn
09-10-2011, 08:19 AM
It may be a bit early for this kind of question, but I'm quite curious about this. Habe you given thought about the battle mode? Can you tell us how you plan it to be. To be honest, I'm really fond of Grandia's battle system and I'd find very nice if you could some inspiration (not copying please, there). Just a suggestion for a place to look :)

Clessy
09-10-2011, 12:22 PM
It may be a bit early for this kind of question, but I'm quite curious about this. Habe you given thought about the battle mode? Can you tell us how you plan it to be. To be honest, I'm really fond of Grandia's battle system and I'd find very nice if you could some inspiration (not copying please, there). Just a suggestion for a place to look :)You should read interview on the main site of sega16. They've defiantly put some heavy planning into the battle system already.

netpredakonn
09-10-2011, 12:37 PM
You should read interview on the main site of sega16. They've defiantly put some heavy planning into the battle system already.

Thanks for the tip. I'm reading it right now. As for the battle system, you''re right they have already something planned and it's nice to know that don't plan on using a standard battle system.

108 Stars
09-10-2011, 03:04 PM
About the view of the map: Yeah, its basically just that the SNES naurally has a more zoomed in view due to the 256 x 224 res. Pier Solar runs in 320 x 24, and because of the higher resolution eople tend to think that or sprites are especially small; which is not the case, they have the size of FF VI sprites afaik, but the higher resolution makes it look that way. Thinking back i might have been better if we used the 256 x 224 res on maps for the SNES-look, and 320 x 224 for battles.

Beside that... yes, it is the size of the buildings in the video tat is a "problem" (actually not a problem, but more matter of style). The houses are very small on that map. Some RPGs handle it that way, having buildings on the town map tiny, but big when you go inside. Other RPGs go the way of being 1:1 outside and inside.

I THINK, for my personal taste, that it looks better to have the buildings bigger on the outside. It lets you play more with the tiles, making it possible to give each building a bit of a unique look. So my recommendation would be bigger buildings, but thats really a matter of taste.

One tp about the sprites f I may: At the moment the sprite has the same hight in all his walking frames. To make it look more like real walking, have him in the original size in the standing frame, and one pixel smaller in both left foot/right foot walking frames. Whenyou cycle through it then left foot/stand/right foot/stand/left foot etc it will look more natural. The point where you should take a way a pixel in hight should be somewhere on the line between upper and lower body.

I dont want to look like a smart ass, just trying to help as I had to learn it too when I worked on PS. I am very excited about this project and looking forward to the final game. :)

Barone
09-10-2011, 03:26 PM
Thinking back i might have been better if we used the 256 x 224 res on maps for the SNES-look, and 320 x 224 for battles.

That would be nice! Also, a clever use to the Genesis' multiresolution capabilities.

Zebbe
09-10-2011, 07:04 PM
What an odd way to solve a problem. If a scene is too big for the actors, you don't decrease it, you make the actors bigger. That's how they did in Greece back in ancient times.

Using the NES resolution will just make things look more pixelated. And it will decrease the number of sprites available from 80 to 64.

dra600n
09-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Does it really decrease the sprites from 80 to 64? Also, it doesn't solve our problem any more or less than with using 320x224/240, but it gives us more of how we want it to look. Once we finish up how we want this town to look and are completely satisfied with it, it will be the the guidelines of how other towns and area's are made.

As for the battle engine - you'll be able to play it as a standard battle engine (if you feel the need to grind, or go as quickly as possible), but the things we're going to put in will definitely enhance it, plus one of the characters skills are solely based on what we're doing.

StarMist
09-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Going with the SNES resolution would be a mistake. For one it would suggest an endeavour to prove the G can do what the SNES could, which could at best succeed irrelevantly and belatedly, or at worse could fail stylistically, or at utter worst could fail technically (such as causing some weird missing border objects or related details that might be overlooked until played by however many fresh eyes you're able to sell it to). Besides, it doesn't look good: it detracts from the enjoyment of cityscapes and cheaply toughens adventure by shrinking the ambit of view. And from a purely aesthetic vantage it's ugly. PSII and IV as Sik pointed out aren't the only visually successful games to use a wider resolution, there's all the NES. I don't know the Duo as well as everyone should, but it doesn't seem to employ that closeup often either. Actually Chrono Trigger's not so zoomed in as most SNES/FC RPGs, which may help explain its graphical popularity. Perhaps if you wish to maintain the SNES ratio in town scaling could be added here and there to give some breadth. At any rate to my mind the typical SNES RPG magnifying glass is cramped.

Clessy
09-10-2011, 08:00 PM
The genesis was never popular for rpg and following in the footsteps of any genesis rpg is following in the footsteps of lesser games.

Bring on the hate but, its the truth and most people think of the snes as one of the best rpg systems because it does so much more right than the genesis ever could imagine as far as rpgs are concerned.

Sik
09-10-2011, 08:01 PM
Does it really decrease the sprites from 80 to 64?
Yes, all the sprites limits are lowered.

H40 (320 pixels wide):

80 sprites on screen
20 sprites per line
320 pixels per line

H32 (256 pixels wide):

64 sprites on screen
16 sprites per line
256 pixels per line

As you can see, the sprite limits are directly tied to the horizontal resolution (they're x/4, x/16 and x, respectively).

EDIT:

Bring on the hate but, its the truth and most people think of the snes as one of the best rpg systems because it does so much more right than the genesis ever could imagine as far as rpgs are concerned.
It's also true that almost all the RPGs praised on the SNES were made by Square (or had Square involvement). The only one that comes to my mind so far where Square wasn't involved is Earthbound.

InternalPrimate
09-10-2011, 08:04 PM
The SNES was better for RPGs because it had a larger quantity of quality titles. It wasn't like they new some secret to making great rpgs. So your "it does so much more right than the genesis ever could imagine as far as rpgs are concerned" statement is really an odd one.

Just look at Lunar 1 & 2 and Phantasy Star 4. They're easily as good as anything on the SNES.

Clessy
09-10-2011, 08:11 PM
Yes, all the sprites limits are lowered.

H40 (320 pixels wide):

80 sprites on screen
20 sprites per line
320 pixels per line

H32 (256 pixels wide):

64 sprites on screen
16 sprites per line
256 pixels per line

As you can see, the sprite limits are directly tied to the horizontal resolution (they're x/4, x/16 and x, respectively).

EDIT:

It's also true that almost all the RPGs praised on the SNES were made by Square (or had Square involvement). The only one that comes to my mind so far where Square wasn't involved is Earthbound.

What about Enix rpgs.
Dragon Quest 1 2 3 5 6
Mystic Ark
Star Ocean
Tales of Phantasia ( technically a namco series but at the time a enix )

Also have the Lufia games 1 and 2.

They're plenty of good rpgs. Squares are just the absolute best so they shine brighter.

The SNES was better for RPGs because it had a larger quantity of quality titles. It wasn't like they new some secret to making great rpgs. So your "it does so much more right than the genesis ever could imagine as far as rpgs are concerned" statement is really an odd one.

Just look at Lunar 1 & 2 and Phantasy Star 4. They're easily as good as anything on the SNES.I mean snes developers. There is nothing worth copying from people who where making rpgs for the Genesis. Btw GameArts is special and they used sega CD. The VA and the cut scenes are what really made Lunar. Both which where achieved thanks to the disk space on the cd.

StarMist
09-10-2011, 08:43 PM
What about Enix rpgs.
Dragon Quest 1 2 3 5 6
Mystic Ark
Star Ocean
Tales of Phantasia ( technically a namco series but at the time a enix )

Also have the Lufia games 1 and 2.

They're plenty of good rpgs. Squares are just the absolute best so they shine brighter.

I mean snes developers. There is nothing worth copying from people who where making rpgs for the Genesis. Btw GameArts is special and they used sega CD. The VA and the cut scenes are what really made Lunar. Both which where achieved thanks to the disk space on the cd.
The Dragon Quests after 2 are derivative serials after the same fashion as the Wizardry games; not worthless by any stretch, but hihgly repetitious. Tales of Phantasia is technically just a tech showcase, the combat's way too frequent and tedious (button tapping's fine for shooters, but not for RPGs); the story seems promising but not so much it's worth wading through all that combat for. The Lufias suck. Square's just had the absolute best marketing so they sold better.
Most Sega CD specialities can now be achieved on cartridge due to decrease of RAM cost; not everything, but then VA is a matter to be sparing with.
@ Airwalk Studios: if you do use VA for some reason get professional actors. If you don't understand why go play Baiten Katos, the VA is absolutely aphasiac. What the hell are these people thinking? Whom do they hire? Yardworkers? Head trauma victims? Seriously, just go bounce a quarter on Wiltshire Boulevard, you'll find a capable actor or somebody who represents one. It's disgraceful.

Clessy
09-10-2011, 09:58 PM
The Dragon Quests after 2 are derivative serials after the same fashion as the Wizardry games; not worthless by any stretch, but hihgly repetitious. Tales of Phantasia is technically just a tech showcase, the combat's way too frequent and tedious (button tapping's fine for shooters, but not for RPGs); the story seems promising but not so much it's worth wading through all that combat for. The Lufias suck. Square's just had the absolute best marketing so they sold better.
Most Sega CD specialities can now be achieved on cartridge due to decrease of RAM cost; not everything, but then VA is a matter to be sparing with.
@ Airwalk Studios: if you do use VA for some reason get professional actors. If you don't understand why go play Baiten Katos, the VA is absolutely aphasiac. What the hell are these people thinking? Whom do they hire? Yardworkers? Head trauma victims? Seriously, just go bounce a quarter on Wiltshire Boulevard, you'll find a capable actor or somebody who represents one. It's disgraceful.

You just insulted the Dragon Quest series and you called top a tech demo. Your opinion means absolutely nothing to me anymore. Obviously I don't agree about top at all or I wouldnt have the user name I have.

Mr Gimmick
09-10-2011, 10:16 PM
Going with the SNES resolution would be a mistake. For one it would suggest an endeavour to prove the G can do what the SNES could, which could at best succeed irrelevantly and belatedly, or at worse could fail stylistically, or at utter worst could fail technically (such as causing some weird missing border objects or related details that might be overlooked until played by however many fresh eyes you're able to sell it to). Besides, it doesn't look good: it detracts from the enjoyment of cityscapes and cheaply toughens adventure by shrinking the ambit of view. And from a purely aesthetic vantage it's ugly. PSII and IV as Sik pointed out aren't the only visually successful games to use a wider resolution, there's all the NES. I don't know the Duo as well as everyone should, but it doesn't seem to employ that closeup often either. Actually Chrono Trigger's not so zoomed in as most SNES/FC RPGs, which may help explain its graphical popularity. Perhaps if you wish to maintain the SNES ratio in town scaling could be added here and there to give some breadth. At any rate to my mind the typical SNES RPG magnifying glass is cramped.

I respectfully disagree. The player should feel like they are part of the world in that RPG. By providing a closer viewpoint, the player is much more immersed in the environment and can see the graphics much more clearly. Before the characters looked like ants by contrast to the map size, which is ok for some games but it is not the look we want to accomplish in this game. Also you cant say it is the SNES resolution because its not, it is a standard resolution option on the genesis, we arent forcing the hardware to do anything it wasn't meant to display.

StarMist
09-11-2011, 02:26 AM
Also you cant say it is the SNES resolution because its not, it is a standard resolution option on the genesis, we arent forcing the hardware to do anything it wasn't meant to display.
I never declared anything about what your game is because it's unfinished, all I referred to was the way you seemed to wish to go with it. Neither did I declare that resolution only on the SNES or suggest that's the only one the SNES has, I merely used it and its most famous games as examples. Why would I contradict a tech statement Sik had made just a few posts earlier?
And there's no need to "respectfully disagree" with me, you may be as pissed off as Clessy.

@ Clessy = My opinion never meant anything to anyone here to begin with. But unless collecting grudges is a hobby of yours you might stand to reconsider exactly how you treat every game every other member cares about in your every post. As you will.

QuickSciFi
09-11-2011, 07:15 AM
All I can say is:

You make this game, I'll buy it.

dra600n
09-11-2011, 10:58 AM
@StarMist - I lol'd at the "you don't have to respectfully disagree" statement. That made my morning :)

@QuickSciFi - awesome :) But we also want to make sure that the time and effort we put into this game will give a great experience.

I haven't played Lufia 1, but I did enjoy Lufia 2 a lot. Also, don't forget Tecmo's Secret of the Stars. That's an pretty bad ass RPG as well. Chrono Trigger used 256x224 (or whatever the SNES equivalent is), same with Secret of Mana and Secret of Evermore. The world map in Chrono Trigger uses a higher resolution (512 maybe?), but they did cut the vertical resolution a little bit, hence the black border showing on the bottom.

I also can't believe nobody mentioned Breath of Fire (Capcom), even though Square did have some involvement (I think publishing?).

As for voice acting - not gonna happen. If we were to move onto the Sega CD, or copy WM with the use of the sega cd (which we aren't, since that was a brilliant idea and I'd love for it to be exclusive to them), it would be something else. On top of that, good voice actors are insanely hard to come by in my area (I did a project about 2 years ago with an animated series, and the people that I found in my area were god awful).

And no, it's not the same resolution as the SNES. The SNES has more vertical lines in their similar resolution than the Genesis does. Also, it isn't proper to say "SNES's resolution" since the SNES came out after the Genesis :)

Here is an example of the lower resolution. As much as I'd hate to show something in the middle of redesign since we're working on palettes, new/updated tiles, etc., I think it would help this conversation a little better to see the differences between 320x224 and 256x224 resolution. Personally, I think it looks a lot better with a lower resolution. Maybe it's because I'm more familiar with this in the RPG's I love (the Final Fantasy series, Secret of Mana, Illusions of Gaia, Soul Blazer, etc), and it makes me feel like this will help the game be more enjoyable. Just my opinion, so feel free to disagree lol.

netpredakonn
09-11-2011, 11:30 AM
Here is an example of the lower resolution. As much as I'd hate to show something in the middle of redesign since we're working on palettes, new/updated tiles, etc., I think it would help this conversation a little better to see the differences between 320x224 and 256x224 resolution. Personally, I think it looks a lot better with a lower resolution. Maybe it's because I'm more familiar with this in the RPG's I love (the Final Fantasy series, Secret of Mana, Illusions of Gaia, Soul Blazer, etc), and it makes me feel like this will help the game be more enjoyable. Just my opinion, so feel free to disagree lol.

It looks much better using a lower resolution. That's a nice step for this game :)

Do you already have an idea how big, in megabytes, this game is going to be?

Clessy
09-11-2011, 11:54 AM
@StarMist - I lol'd at the "you don't have to respectfully disagree" statement. That made my morning :)

@QuickSciFi - awesome :) But we also want to make sure that the time and effort we put into this game will give a great experience.

I haven't played Lufia 1, but I did enjoy Lufia 2 a lot. Also, don't forget Tecmo's Secret of the Stars. That's an pretty bad ass RPG as well. Chrono Trigger used 256x224 (or whatever the SNES equivalent is), same with Secret of Mana and Secret of Evermore. The world map in Chrono Trigger uses a higher resolution (512 maybe?), but they did cut the vertical resolution a little bit, hence the black border showing on the bottom.

I also can't believe nobody mentioned Breath of Fire (Capcom), even though Square did have some involvement (I think publishing?).

As for voice acting - not gonna happen. If we were to move onto the Sega CD, or copy WM with the use of the sega cd (which we aren't, since that was a brilliant idea and I'd love for it to be exclusive to them), it would be something else. On top of that, good voice actors are insanely hard to come by in my area (I did a project about 2 years ago with an animated series, and the people that I found in my area were god awful).

And no, it's not the same resolution as the SNES. The SNES has more vertical lines in their similar resolution than the Genesis does. Also, it isn't proper to say "SNES's resolution" since the SNES came out after the Genesis :)

Here is an example of the lower resolution. As much as I'd hate to show something in the middle of redesign since we're working on palettes, new/updated tiles, etc., I think it would help this conversation a little better to see the differences between 320x224 and 256x224 resolution. Personally, I think it looks a lot better with a lower resolution. Maybe it's because I'm more familiar with this in the RPG's I love (the Final Fantasy series, Secret of Mana, Illusions of Gaia, Soul Blazer, etc), and it makes me feel like this will help the game be more enjoyable. Just my opinion, so feel free to disagree lol.Yeah the fixed the view distance perfectly.

djshok
09-11-2011, 01:17 PM
All I can say is:

+1

Guntz
09-11-2011, 04:32 PM
*censored*

Used to be a Rudy spritesheet

I have a question, Kaiser. What exactly is Rudy wearing anyway? Whenever I play Pier Solar, it looks like he's wearing a stereotypical fishing getup. You know, with the full body rubber waders, the bucket hat with fishing tackles in it and that kind of stuff. Even his boots look like the rubber variety.

StarMist
09-11-2011, 04:44 PM
All I can say is:

Obviously: you're striving for a complete US Genny collection.

@ Airwalk = What I'll say is: You make an excellent game, I'll buy it. You make something like Elfaria, I'll laugh at all the buyers. You make something mediocre, I'll buy another copy of Rubbish Blazon instead. You make something good, I'll just replay something excellent I already own and it'll still be better than good. Make something excellent.

108 Stars
09-11-2011, 05:35 PM
I have a question, Kaiser. What exactly is Rudy wearing anyway? Whenever I play Pier Solar, it looks like he's wearing a stereotypical fishing getup. You know, with the full body rubber waders, the bucket hat with fishing tackles in it and that kind of stuff. Even his boots look like the rubber variety.

Well, this is off-topic, but he is wearing working trousers like these... dont know what they are called, does it qualify as overall or do those require the entire upper body to be covered?.

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/5425/arbeitshoselatzhosegrue.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/849/arbeitshoselatzhosegrue.jpg/)

He has the upper body part hanging down loosely. Hes also wearing a white shirt, a brown leather jacket and sturdy boots. The idea was that since he was working as archeologist at one point and was now working at a farm he should wear clothes for someone doing dirty work.

Mr Gimmick
09-11-2011, 05:54 PM
Obviously: you're striving for a complete US Genny collection.

@ Airwalk = What I'll say is: You make an excellent game, I'll buy it. You make something like Elfaria, I'll laugh at all the buyers. You make something mediocre, I'll buy another copy of Rubbish Blazon instead. You make something good, I'll just replay something excellent I already own and it'll still be better than good. Make something excellent.

Mediocre is not in my vocabulary. I am a perfectionist and if I am going to put all the time and effort into something I will accept nothing less than the best. I'm sure dra600n feels the same way.

We are not doing this just to release another average RPG, there are plenty of those out there already. Our goal here is to create something original and bring something new to the table. We may not create the perfect RPG but we will certainly strive for it.

dra600n
09-11-2011, 08:26 PM
Mediocre is not in my vocabulary. I am a perfectionist and if I am going to put all the time and effort into something I will accept nothing less than the best. I'm sure dra600n feels the same way.

We are not doing this just to release another average RPG, there are plenty of those out there already. Our goal here is to create something original and bring something new to the table. We may not create the perfect RPG but we will certainly strive for it.

I want to make the most excellent game we can - story wise, graphics wise, mechanics wise, etc. We have some cool things in the works, and we'll see how well it plays out. "Good Enough" is never said unless it's just a place holder for something until we come back around to polish something off, then it will need to be stamped with "perfect". We won't be pushing out some half assed RPG, or anything with the quality/standards of Lagoon *cough*.

Sik
09-11-2011, 08:29 PM
Chrono Trigger used 256x224 (or whatever the SNES equivalent is)
256240, but it removes a good chunk of the display at the bottom, so in practice I doubt it was larger than 256224 (off-centered, even).

The world map in Chrono Trigger uses a higher resolution (512 maybe?)
No, it never uses the hi-res modes (which are all faked anyways, 512-wide mode uses the blending hardware to mix two consecutive pixels into one, while 480-high modes use interlacing).

Also, it isn't proper to say "SNES's resolution" since the SNES came out after the Genesis :)
And technically the SNES is using the same resolution as the NES, so I guess it would be fair to say NES resolution =P

Barone
09-11-2011, 08:59 PM

I want to make the most excellent game we can - story wise, graphics wise, mechanics wise, etc. We have some cool things in the works, and we'll see how well it plays out. "Good Enough" is never said unless it's just a place holder for something until we come back around to polish something off, then it will need to be stamped with "perfect". We won't be pushing out some half assed RPG, or anything with the quality/standards of Lagoon *cough*.

These guys want to kick some ass!
Very positive stuff to read.

Guntz
09-11-2011, 09:35 PM
Yes, it's wonderful to read such enthusiasm. They can go a long ways with this project if they just keep up this kind of confidence.

Thing is though, I hope they realize they'll be in it for the long haul. Even with some more people working on the project, it sounds like Affinity:Sorrow is several years away. If the core team remains just Gimmick and Dra600n, then it will take even longer. I don't mind waiting, but I hope they don't either.

Well, this is off-topic, but he is wearing working trousers like these... dont know what they are called, does it qualify as overall or do those require the entire upper body to be covered?.

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/5425/arbeitshoselatzhosegrue.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/849/arbeitshoselatzhosegrue.jpg/)

He has the upper body part hanging down loosely. Hes also wearing a white shirt, a brown leather jacket and sturdy boots. The idea was that since he was working as archeologist at one point and was now working at a farm he should wear clothes for someone doing dirty work.

Hmm, his outfit has a startling resemblance to what usual fishermen wear. Maybe it's just me, but his sprites look completely like that. I don't think "archeologist" when I see him. :)

Clessy
09-11-2011, 10:09 PM
108 doesnt wanna let you know the Gordans fisherman was his inspiration.

dra600n
09-11-2011, 11:35 PM
Thing is though, I hope they realize they'll be in it for the long haul. Even with some more people working on the project, it sounds like Affinity:Sorrow is several years away. If the core team remains just Gimmick and Dra600n, then it will take even longer. I don't mind waiting, but I hope they don't either.

We're further along that we let on ;)

Guntz
09-12-2011, 01:47 AM
The proof is in the pics... Show them. :p

Heh heh, I'll take your word on your progress...

dra600n
07-17-2012, 09:03 PM
It's been a while since an actual update has come about, but a lot has been going on. With the original graphics artist leaving the team and searching for a new one, Armen has been graciously been doing some concept art and will also take the reins of doing in game cut scenes and full screen cut scenes.

While the search comes to an end with the graphics, we present you Armen's concept art he's done so far. Hope everyone enjoys! :)

Barone
07-17-2012, 10:01 PM
Looks fantastic, to say the least!
Go Airwalk Studios! GO!

The first character's armor reminds me:
J_TdSxVRRMU

There's some darkness in the AS concep art and I like that.

Drakon
07-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Awesome concept art fo sho!

retrospiel
07-18-2012, 05:12 AM
It's been a while since an actual update has come about, but a lot has been going on. With the original graphics artist leaving the team and searching for a new one, Armen has been graciously been doing some concept art and will also take the reins of doing in game cut scenes and full screen cut scenes.

While the search comes to an end with the graphics, we present you Armen's concept art he's done so far. Hope everyone enjoys! :)

I have to say that these do look fantastic! MUCH better than anything I anticipated when clicking on them. The character design looks really close to 80s Anime stuff I watched as a kid. Absolutely brilliant!

TVC 15
07-18-2012, 05:23 AM
Armen, those designs look classy. They would'nt look out of place in a full colour japanese megadrive instruction manual, ala Phantasy Star or some other Megadrive classic.

Beautiful.

Zebbe
07-18-2012, 06:14 AM
You sure picked the right concept artist ;).

Great job as always, Armen!

Kamahl
07-18-2012, 06:44 AM
Dammit is Armen the only pixel artist that sticks to the job? (At least he's damn good)

Arm
07-18-2012, 09:32 AM
Thanks for your compliments everyone. :) Being an animator, I admit my style is influenced by different animation series from the 80's/90's

N.Saibot
08-13-2012, 09:35 AM
I'm sorry, am I the only one who thinks that the anime style has been overdone even during the 16-bit era? When I looked at first demo videos I was much more hyped about this game than I am now. It looked like you were going with something that doesn't look that anime'esque.

It's too late now I guess, but my bit of constructive criticism would be make it less like an anime. Also, Nex is Hoston from Pier Solar. Come on! No one is going to sue anybody, but it's just unoriginal looking. It's like Scorpion/Sub-Zero kind of similar.

makinagenesis
08-13-2012, 09:41 AM
as long as its a good game i couldn't care less, it looks great up to now. A lot , if not all, RPG's borrow from each other anyway

N.Saibot
08-13-2012, 09:48 AM
I've got a project for an RPG that is progressing very slowly. I hope one day I'll be able to finish it and then port it to the Mega Drive, so that everyone can see how fresh-looking a non-anime style would be.

makinagenesis
08-13-2012, 09:58 AM
can you post links/pics to your concept art etc please?

N.Saibot
08-13-2012, 10:10 AM
No, of course not, there is none yet. I am not a good artist, moreso in the pixel art domain. I do not mean to brag how good MY pictures would be. What I mean is, if I can get a team together to develop the game fully, not just the programming part, THEN it would have a different art direction.

Kamahl
08-13-2012, 10:21 AM
I can make pixel art backgrounds somewhat, characters I can't unfortunately. Being more of a vector artist than a "pixel" one, most pixel art drawing software lacks features I need.

makinagenesis
08-13-2012, 11:22 AM
No, of course not, there is none yet. I am not a good artist, moreso in the pixel art domain. I do not mean to brag how good MY pictures would be. What I mean is, if I can get a team together to develop the game fully, not just the programming part, THEN it would have a different art direction.

AH. so its basically an idea then? Well i've got around 50 game projects currently progressing very slowly . None are past the 'idea' stage yet though....Can i call myself a game maker yet?

Arm
08-13-2012, 01:15 PM
Actually, the main character's face's style may remind you of Hoston because I handled the cutscenes and artworks of PS. :)
If you don't count a couple of games made by western companies, almost every rpgs made
on the MD are anime inspired.

sega16
08-13-2012, 01:19 PM
I can make pixel art backgrounds somewhat, characters I can't unfortunately. Being more of a vector artist than a "pixel" one, most pixel art drawing software lacks features I need.
There is nothing wrong with rendering the vector to a PNG file then resizing it or just saving it at the correct size (in the vector based program) that the video game needs.

Kamahl
08-13-2012, 01:24 PM
There is nothing wrong with rendering the vector to a PNG file then resizing it or just saving it at the correct size (in the vector based program) that the video game needs.
There is if, like me, you hate how Donkey Kong Country looks. Same problem only Vector instead of pre-rendered 3D (which I can do too). There's no pixel optimization.
See: http://www.yarrninja.com/pixeltutorial/chapter7.htm

N.Saibot
08-13-2012, 01:59 PM
Actually, the main character's face's style may remind you of Hoston because I handled the cutscenes and artworks of PS. :)
If you don't count a couple of games made by western companies, almost every rpgs made
on the MD are anime inspired.

Yeah, that's why I think it would rule if a non-anime style RPG would come out. Change isn't always a good thing, but I believe it would rule if an RPG would come out for the Mega Drive that has non-anime style.

djshok
08-13-2012, 04:19 PM
Yeah I agree, anime is alright and all, but it would be cool to see some non-anime stuff as well. Plus I always find it silly when western devs use the anime style. It makes sense when it comes out of Japan because that's the popular art style there and it's what they're comfortable with in terms of development and marketing, but it really seems unnecessary for western devs to adopt the style unless they want to intentionally make an anime product. Which in most cases I don't think they do, I think they just want to tell a story and for some reason they default to the anime look.

Kamahl
08-13-2012, 05:46 PM
Anime style is good for the MD due to the high-contrast, low color look.

N.Saibot
08-13-2012, 06:10 PM
What about Light Crusader? That's a style I'd like to see again on the Mega Drive.

Arm
08-14-2012, 08:17 AM
Who knows ... Maybe for another project ? :)

N.Saibot
08-14-2012, 08:21 AM
:ok: The more projects for the Mega Drive, the merrier :ok:

retrospiel
08-14-2012, 08:59 AM

N.Saibot vs Arm - 0:1 ;)

- seriously, though, the artworks presented earlier in this thread were 100% perfect. They really do look like authentic 80s anime characters - which is just AWESOME! I really miss that style.

N.Saibot
08-14-2012, 09:15 AM
Why 0:1? I recognized Hoston. And btw, it is stated in the thread that Affinity: Sorrow is being drawn by the same guy as Pier Solar now. It's not like anybody who was reading this wasn't aware.

Arm
08-14-2012, 07:45 PM
- seriously, though, the artworks presented earlier in this thread were 100% perfect. They really do look like authentic 80s anime characters - which is just AWESOME! I really miss that style.

If you like my style and old japanese animation, then I'm sure you'll appreciate my student short ;)

http://www.myspace.com/video/armen/human-recollections/8983854

N.Saibot
08-15-2012, 02:04 AM
If you like my style and old japanese animation, then I'm sure you'll appreciate my student short ;)

http://www.myspace.com/video/armen/human-recollections/8983854

Did you just draw the characters or are the backgrounds fully handmade too? This short is beautiful!

Arm
08-15-2012, 07:04 AM
Did you just draw the characters or are the backgrounds fully handmade too? This short is beautiful!

Glad you liked it. :) Yeah I handled everything from storyboard to art/color/animation. It took approximately around 3 months to complete each segments except the for first segment which took around 4 months due to large BGs. Everything is hand drawn/scanned except the middle train camwork where the train is in cellshaded 3d (3dsmax) composited with hand drawn animation. The skies were hand painted and composited. The software used were Adobe Photoshop/AfterEffects/Premiere and Retas Pro. Sound arranged with Sony Soundforge then mixed in Premiere.

And for something a bit different and older for rpg fans ;)
http://www.lunar-net.com/sssc/armen.php

N.Saibot
08-15-2012, 08:15 AM
Glad you liked it. :) Yeah I handled everything from storyboard to art/color/animation. It took approximately around 3 months to complete each segments except the for first segment which took around 4 months due to large BGs. Everything is hand drawn/scanned except the middle train camwork where the train is in cellshaded 3d (3dsmax) composited with hand drawn animation. The skies were hand painted and composited. The software used were Adobe Photoshop/AfterEffects/Premiere and Retas Pro. Sound arranged with Sony Soundforge then mixed in Premiere.

And for something a bit different and older for rpg fans ;)
http://www.lunar-net.com/sssc/armen.php

You.
Rule.
:ok:

Drakon
08-15-2012, 12:26 PM
That short's pretty cool.

Arm
08-15-2012, 06:03 PM

SEGA.GENESIS1989
08-16-2012, 01:28 AM
Arm, that was a well done animated short! Have you ever thought of doing using your talents commercially?

Arm
08-16-2012, 06:40 AM
Actually, I've been working as a storyboarder.

EPSYLON EAGLE
09-05-2015, 07:50 PM
What happens with this project? Seems promising. :?:

SEGA.GENESIS1989
09-05-2015, 10:47 PM
What happens with this project? Seems promising. :?:

If memory serves me right, the project is on hold. dra600n, who is the game developer, is currently working on two other MD projects: One is a boxing game akin to Punch Out but expanded upon (Further info here: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?28905-Punch-out-style-game-for-the-genesis-mega-drive ).

The other game that he is currently working on is caled ``Handy Harvy``, a mashup of Donkey Kong and Wrecking Crew (Further info here: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?29880-New-Sega-Genesis-Mega-Drive-Game-The-Official-Handy-Harvy-Thread ).

dra600n
06-08-2016, 09:28 AM
If memory serves me right, the project is on hold. dra600n, who is the game developer, is currently working on two other MD projects: One is a boxing game akin to Punch Out but expanded upon (Further info here: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?28905-Punch-out-style-game-for-the-genesis-mega-drive ).

The other game that he is currently working on is caled ``Handy Harvy``, a mashup of Donkey Kong and Wrecking Crew (Further info here: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?29880-New-Sega-Genesis-Mega-Drive-Game-The-Official-Handy-Harvy-Thread ).
This is exactly what happened :) I want affinity sorrow to be as good as possible, and I realized after a little while that it was a very ambitious project. I'm still working on it, but right now I'm working on the story (in small spurts). I'm planning on resuming Affinity Sorrow early in 2017. I promise the wait is worth it! :)

Raistlin
06-09-2016, 06:30 AM
I'm planning on resuming Affinity Sorrow early in 2017. I promise the wait is worth it! :)

Great it wasn't abandoned. To be honest Affinity:Sorrow is the game which I am looking forward the most. Even more than Project Y.

dra600n
06-09-2016, 07:21 AM
Great it wasn't abandoned. To be honest Affinity:Sorrow is the game which I am looking forward the most. Even more than Project Y.

That's an honor, and a lot of pressure! Haha :) WM has some serious talent in game dev, so it's gonna be hard to follow in their footsteps. But, at the end of the day, there's always room for more RPG's :)

EPSYLON EAGLE
06-09-2016, 08:25 AM
What percentage missing for game completion?

dra600n
06-09-2016, 05:46 PM
What percentage missing for game completion?

I really wanted to avoid this question, because there's no fun answer to it, but rather than avoiding it or giving some fluff answer, I'll just go through the whole story of it and why its where it's at. (I would've responded sooner, but I was at work and didn't want to half-ass my response)

When I started Affinity Sorrow, I had only done 1 console project before that - Hangman SG. As we all know, if you leave the music and art to me, you'll get Hangman SG :) (Granted, I can make decent music now, and could probably do passable graphics, but I would like to eventually finish the game lol).

I had searched out for graphic artists to take on the art responsibilities, and found a composer. I had contacted WM, but their contract was a bit iffy (spoke with Tulio about some things and cleared all worries and such). The issue was they wanted a sum of money I couldn't afford at the time. I had found a few more artists, but the same situation - money I couldn't afford at the time. I eventually found one that decided he wanted to do profit sharing, and I thought that was awesome. Unfortunately, he ended up having to leave the project for health reasons, so I was kind of stuck.

The first composer I had decided he wanted to do random music for the game (like, the final boss battle music), and didn't like that we wanted the music in order to go with development, and left. I found a replacement composer shortly after, and I've used her for everything since. This all went on while we still had an artist. Once the artist had to leave, it's been stagnant since. Sort of. I've reignited the project here and there, but at the time, I was definitely underestimating the size of the project and the work involved.

Since then, I've done the Felix release and 5 commission projects, SecondBASIC, and now Harvy. In between each project, I've done more planning and such with Affinity Sorrow and trying to really turn it into something. I would've started it back up sooner, but the reality is, I was very inexperienced with Genesis programming, and while I'm a ways away from some of the true coding masters in the community (chili willi, sik, stef, gasega68k, just to name a few), I've learned a lot and have come a long way since Hangman SG, and I think I'm almost ready to dive into that project for real.

So what is done?
- The battle algorithms are done (combat damage, power attacks, spells, skills, etc). Of course, this has only been done on paper and in a battle simulator app I wrote to test it out and check the numbers. The other part is, is this is most likely incomplete since new skills/functions may need to be added.
- Most other algorithms are finished (encounter rate, level related algorithms, drop rate algorithms, etc)
- Story "skeleton" is done. What I mean by the "skeleton" is I know the beginning, middle, and end of the story, most of the major characters, and in between events/story related plot points known. It's mainly down to ironing out the plot, filling in the gaps where they need to be filled, and then create all of the dialog.

We're also working on a new mapper to allow potentially up to 16 MB of data (well, theoretically it'd be however large you want to get), though I can't see why I'd need that much space :P

So, giving an estimate of percentage done, I'd say maybe 5% to 10% is done, and needing 100% of everything :)

EPSYLON EAGLE
07-12-2016, 09:21 AM
I really wanted to avoid this question, because there's no fun answer to it, but rather than avoiding it or giving some fluff answer, I'll just go through the whole story of it and why its where it's at. (I would've responded sooner, but I was at work and didn't want to half-ass my response)

When I started Affinity Sorrow, I had only done 1 console project before that - Hangman SG. As we all know, if you leave the music and art to me, you'll get Hangman SG :) (Granted, I can make decent music now, and could probably do passable graphics, but I would like to eventually finish the game lol).

I had searched out for graphic artists to take on the art responsibilities, and found a composer. I had contacted WM, but their contract was a bit iffy (spoke with Tulio about some things and cleared all worries and such). The issue was they wanted a sum of money I couldn't afford at the time. I had found a few more artists, but the same situation - money I couldn't afford at the time. I eventually found one that decided he wanted to do profit sharing, and I thought that was awesome. Unfortunately, he ended up having to leave the project for health reasons, so I was kind of stuck.

The first composer I had decided he wanted to do random music for the game (like, the final boss battle music), and didn't like that we wanted the music in order to go with development, and left. I found a replacement composer shortly after, and I've used her for everything since. This all went on while we still had an artist. Once the artist had to leave, it's been stagnant since. Sort of. I've reignited the project here and there, but at the time, I was definitely underestimating the size of the project and the work involved.

Since then, I've done the Felix release and 5 commission projects, SecondBASIC, and now Harvy. In between each project, I've done more planning and such with Affinity Sorrow and trying to really turn it into something. I would've started it back up sooner, but the reality is, I was very inexperienced with Genesis programming, and while I'm a ways away from some of the true coding masters in the community (chili willi, sik, stef, gasega68k, just to name a few), I've learned a lot and have come a long way since Hangman SG, and I think I'm almost ready to dive into that project for real.

So what is done?
- The battle algorithms are done (combat damage, power attacks, spells, skills, etc). Of course, this has only been done on paper and in a battle simulator app I wrote to test it out and check the numbers. The other part is, is this is most likely incomplete since new skills/functions may need to be added.
- Most other algorithms are finished (encounter rate, level related algorithms, drop rate algorithms, etc)
- Story "skeleton" is done. What I mean by the "skeleton" is I know the beginning, middle, and end of the story, most of the major characters, and in between events/story related plot points known. It's mainly down to ironing out the plot, filling in the gaps where they need to be filled, and then create all of the dialog.

We're also working on a new mapper to allow potentially up to 16 MB of data (well, theoretically it'd be however large you want to get), though I can't see why I'd need that much space :P

So, giving an estimate of percentage done, I'd say maybe 5% to 10% is done, and needing 100% of everything :)

Thank you for honest feedback, wish you can take the project forward, you can count on my support and the whole community.

dra600n
07-17-2016, 11:05 AM
Thank you for honest feedback, wish you can take the project forward, you can count on my support and the whole community.

I'd rather be honest about it instead of giving thinly veiled answers :) And thank you for the supportive words! Once I finish up the next 3 projects (Harvy, Project KO, and another currently undisclosed one that I think a lot of people will enjoy), I'm going to shift all focus to Affinity Sorrow. I also want to get an XBL or PSN version of Harvy done beforehand as well, so I can learn how to get Affinity Sorrow onto modern platforms as well. This will help give me the experience and knowledge I need for such a large project, as well as the programming experience.