PDA

View Full Version : what Game Gear games are really worth it

Mordan
06-05-2011, 04:31 PM
Hello,

I bought a GG and except Columns which has an exclusive gameplay which I like, the sonic games which I know are all good and difficult, I find the games a let down compared to the Mega Drive.

which GG games are worth it gameplay wise? It there a 2 players GG game whose gameplay is really good?

is GG aleste the most expensive GG game?

Deo
06-05-2011, 04:39 PM
Shining Force Sword of Hajya and Sonic Triple Trouble are well worth getting.

Crackdown
06-05-2011, 04:43 PM
I just sold my GG because the library was so unispiring. Most of the games are available on the Master System and a large amount of them have superior Megadrive versions.

I am a big Sega fan but the Game Gear is awful in my opinion.

Baloo
06-05-2011, 04:49 PM
Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers
Tails' Adventure
Sonic Drift 2
Streets of Rage 2
Mega Man
Joe Montana Football
Defenders of Oasis
Pengo
Gunstar Heroes
Castle of Illusion
Land of Illusion
Legend of Illusion
Deep Duck Trouble
Aleste
Power Strike II
NBA Jam
Ristar
Shinobi I and II

Mordan
06-05-2011, 05:27 PM
Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers
Tails' Adventure
Sonic Drift 2
Streets of Rage 2
Mega Man
Joe Montana Football
Defenders of Oasis
Pengo
Gunstar Heroes
Castle of Illusion
Land of Illusion
Legend of Illusion
Deep Duck Trouble
Aleste
Power Strike II
NBA Jam
Ristar
Shinobi I and II

thx. :) have you played the GG in multiplayer? I bought 2 so I could test the games that support that mode.

Gamer101
06-05-2011, 05:39 PM
Very interesting thread, OP. I recently acquired a Game Boy (the original). Because of my recent purchase, it got me thinking about the Game Gear. I looked into it and didn't see anything that (as was previously stated) warranted a purchase of the Game Gear. The Game Boy on the other hand, played with a Super GameBoy on the SNES is almost like having another NES with stereo sound (albeit with a smaller screen when played through the S. Game Boy on a normal tv).

I could not pass up Metroid II and Legend of Zelda Links Awakening among a few others, because they are exclusive to the original GB. I did not see anything of that nature/caliber when doing my research on the Game Gear.

The Game Gear looks very, very cool, but considering there aren't any 'classic' exclusives, I didn't see any reason to warrant a purchase.

penny
penny

Flygon
06-05-2011, 05:51 PM
If you ever get an Everdrive GG, consider getting the translation of Shining Force: Final Conflict.

Kamahl
06-05-2011, 06:23 PM
Shinobi II
Sonic Drift 2
Sylvan Tale
Tails' Adventures
Royal Stone
Defenders of Oasis
Panzer Dragoon Mini
Phantasy Star Gaiden
Ninja Gaiden (different from the SMS version, title screen music rocks)
Moldorian
Lunar - Sanposuru Gakuen
Kenyuu Densetsu Yaiba
Godzilla
Fantasy Zone Gear
Crystal Warriors
Adventures of Batman & Robin
Arena: Maze Of Death
Halley Wars

I think these are all exclusives, bold ones are excellent.

There are also a ton of games with extremely impressive versions on the Game Gear (Gunstar Heroes, Ristar, Power Strike II), and games that were originally on the Game Gear (Shining Force Gaiden series)

Thenewguy
06-05-2011, 07:03 PM
Sonic games - I would avoid the 1st two Sonic games (they're SMS ports and play poorly on Game Gear, especially Sonic 2 which is utterly awful on GG as you can never see where you're going) and start from Sonic Chaos, which feels like its been specifically designed with Game Gear in mind, follow with Triple Trouble (Game Gear exclusive), and Tails Adventure (another Game Gear exclusive)

Shinobi 1 and 2 - both really good, forgotten Shinobi games, both exclusive to Game Gear

Deep Duck Trouble - Sega made Disney platform game, the Game Gear version runs waaay better than the SMS port, avoid the SMS version.

Game Gear Aleste - exclusive Compile shooter, completely different to the other versions of Aleste

Powerstrike II - Another exclusive Compile shooter that is completely different to the version of Powerstrike II on the SMS, but just as good.

Coca Cola Kid - great Sega-made fly kicking action game, think Shinobi III mixed with Sonic (and then give it a crappy licence title).

Ninja Gaiden - fast and fun game, graphics are a little minimilistic, exclusive to Game Gear as the SMS Ninja Gaiden is a completely different game.

Defenders of Oasis - Sequel to Beyond Oasis on Genesis

Fantasy Zone Gear - Exclusive to Game Gear, its a bit fiddly due to the screen size and scrolling unfortunately, but the new strong power-ups offset a lot of this, and overall its a very respectable addition to the series.

Crystal Warriors - Good strategy RPG

Asterix and the Secret Mission - runs much better on Game Gear than SMS, and has different level layouts too.

Legend of Illusion - runs much better on Game Gear than SMS (unlike its two predessesors Castle of Illusion and Land of Illusion which are better played on SMS), and is much easier to find on GG too.

Mega Man - This is an amalgamation of elements from Mega Man 4, and Mega Man 5 on the NES, if you're not much of a NES collector its worth getting, but otherwise its prob best sticking with the NES versions of both as they have supperior sound (though there are still some unique idiosyncrasies due to the fact that it's a mixture, as you have access to different robot powers for the levels)

Shining Force II: The Sword of Hajya

Slider - Puzzle game that's like Pac-Man mixed with a shmup, on computers it was known as Skweek

Master of Darkness - shares graphic assetts with the SMS version but the actual level layouts are completely different so its kinda' exclusive to Game Gear

Fatal Fury Special & Samurai Shodown - Impressive at the time for a handheld, but I guess they're nothing more than curiosities these days.

Can't think of any others at the moment

Kamahl
06-05-2011, 07:31 PM
Defenders of Oasis is NOT the sequel to Beyond Oasis :?, they're nothing alike. Good game though.

Thenewguy
06-05-2011, 07:45 PM
Defenders of Oasis is NOT the sequel to Beyond Oasis :?, they're nothing alike. Good game though.

Ok, my mistake, thought they were just dissimilar games under the same umbrella title (like Golden Axe Warrior etc)

Smii
06-06-2011, 11:13 PM
which GG games are worth it gameplay wise?

Aerial Assault
Batman Returns (so much better than the MD game)
Berlin Wall (Jp exclusive)
Columns
Crystal Warriors
Doraemon: Nora no Suke no Yabou (Jp platformer, not to be confused with Doraemon Wakuwaku pocket paradise which isn't worth bothering)
Excellent Dizzy Collection
Fantasy Zone
Fatal Fury Special (the GG is not a console for beat-em-up fans, but this is ok)
Fray (good but rare GG shmup, Jp exclusive)
GG Aleste
GG Aleste 2 (aka Power Strike II)
GG Shinobi 1 & 2
Man Overboard
Micro Machines 1 & 2
Pengo
Psychic World
Robocop vs Terminator
Slider
Sonic Triple Trouble
Tails Sky Patrol (not "good" in the literal sense, but recommended for its strangeness. It's a spiteful bastard.)
Tempo Jr
Wizard Pinball

It there a 2 players GG game whose gameplay is really good?
I'd suggest Micro Machines 1&2, but since these are pretty much the same on every system you might not want to bother. Aerial Assault has 2p co-op, so does Super Monaco GP (but it sort of sucks). Not a thing I've really looked into - growing up all my friends had Game Boys (if anything) and now? I don't have two properly working GGs :P

is GG aleste the most expensive GG game?
No. Tarzan usually goes for way more. It's not worth the money though.

Zz Badnusty
06-07-2011, 02:06 AM
Zenki is a great game.
I received it in a package purchase and had never heard of it previously. imo it is one of the best games for Game Gear.

my list of favorite Game Gear games would be:
Bare Knuckle II
The Berlin Wall
Castle of Illusion
Defender Oasis
Devilish
Doraemon Norasuke no Yabou
Dynamite Headdy
Fantasy Zone Gear
Galaga '91
both GG Aleste games
both GG Shinobi games
Gunstar Heroes
Kinetic Connection
Legend of Illusion
Magical Taruruto-Kun (little known, very basic but fun shmup)
Mappy
Out Run
Panzer Dragoon Mini
Pengo
Puyo Puyo
Shining Force Sword of Hajya
The Smurfs
Sonic Drift 2
Sylvan Tale
Tail's Adventure
Tail's Sky Patrol (annoyingly difficult to control, but I've enjoyed playing it)
Wonder Boy
Wonder Boy The Dragon's Trap
Woody Pop
Yu Yu Hakusho II
Zenki

...well, here is really all the Game Gear games you should play
k8iNPRBeF9s
PS. Zenki is right at the 1:58 mark

Deo
06-07-2011, 11:42 PM
Fantasy Zone on the GG blows, you can't see anything until you've smashed into it.

GameMaster600
06-08-2011, 12:19 AM
Well, I don't have it but the port of Dynamite Headdy looks amazing and that's one of my favorite Genesis games of all time!

Kamahl
06-08-2011, 06:26 AM
Fantasy Zone on the GG blows, you can't see anything until you've smashed into it.

That's what makes it fun :D

Thenewguy
06-08-2011, 06:50 PM

Move with more restraint (let the scrolling catch up with you) and buy the homing missile and shield power-ups.