PDA

View Full Version : Is this the most expensive Game Gear EVER!?

oldskool
07-08-2011, 12:11 AM
I've never even heard of a white Game Gear before. But apparently it's worth some MULA.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sega-Game-Gear-Rare-WHITE-SYSTEM-Console-Complete-Japan-/300574385971?pt=Video_Games&hash=item45fba12733

QuickSciFi
07-08-2011, 12:13 AM
The only game gear worth anything is an RGB-out/9-pin controller input modded one.

Guntz
07-08-2011, 12:15 AM
That's Moolah.

Yeah RGB and controller port modded Game Gears would be an awesome idea. Too bad it seems nobody has stepped forward with one yet. Maybe somebody should sell or give Villahed94 a Game Gear for him to try out some RGB encoders on.

oldskool
07-08-2011, 12:21 AM
Doesn't the Everdrive play Game Gear games? I know it does Master System right, same hardware right? I wonder if it could be done.

Guntz
07-08-2011, 12:28 AM
No, the Game Gear has more colors than the Master System ever did. Just that alone means GG to SMS is near impossible. Besides, why play Game Gear on your SMS Everdrive when there's a GG Everdrive available?

... Actually, looking at that auction again, that white Game Gear is something tantalizing! Looks just as sweet as the white Saturn and Dreamcast. Man I'd love one of those GGs... Too bad that price keeps climbing. :(

Nunzio
07-08-2011, 12:48 AM
According to the box it was about $350.00 new, so I don't think that is too crazy extravagant!

Splatterhouse5
07-08-2011, 01:06 AM
Yeah, I didn't know there was a white version. I never cared to get a game gear, but it does really look nice in white. This is one of those times that I wish I was rich enough to burn $500 on something that I would probably just look at every once in a while and tuck away in a closet.

Guntz
07-08-2011, 01:45 AM
I'd give that white GG a full cap kit. It's begging for it.

villahed94
07-08-2011, 01:50 AM
That's Moolah.

Yeah RGB and controller port modded Game Gears would be an awesome idea. Too bad it seems nobody has stepped forward with one yet. Maybe somebody should sell or give Villahed94 a Game Gear for him to try out some RGB encoders on.

Thanks Guntz. Thatīd be nice,as I want to make them US compatible. RGB is mostly european

ooXxXoo
07-08-2011, 01:57 AM
I had one of these Japanese White Game Gears before, but just to repair it :( ...It wasn't mine :fit: ...

Guntz
07-08-2011, 02:30 AM
What I'd like to know, is what's stopping all these modders on Sega-16 and other sites from installing an RGB encoder inside a Game Gear and drilling a hole for a 9-Pin Mini-DIN socket? Seriously, what is the hold up?? Nobody on any of these game forums has a Game Gear? Is that why? Pretty shallow reason if you ask me.

@Villahed: I'd send you a Game Gear, but I'm sure the shipping would be ridiculous. Besides, you could probably find a "dead" Game Gear on Mercado Libre, eBay or in a local game store for peanuts. Perform a cap kit and it'll work like new again.

oldskool
07-08-2011, 03:41 AM
Would be good on an everdrive because you can then play gg games on your TV instead of the crappy gg screen.

TmEE
07-08-2011, 03:50 AM
Yeah RGB and controller port modded Game Gears would be an awesome idea. Too bad it seems nobody has stepped forward with one yet.

I have been doing RGB modded + controller port GGs :P

Guntz
07-08-2011, 04:01 AM
How come nobody else has been doing them? Do you think maybe you could write up a small guide on it? Even just pointing out where the RGB signals are located per GG version would be nice.

@Oldskool:

You make it sound like Everdrive is it's own system. It's not. Everdrive is a line of flashcarts for various systems, including SMS and Game Gear.

Still, fact of the matter still stands. There's one too many improvements in the Game Gear for Master System forwards compatibility to be possible. The only way would be making an adapter with a whole Game Gear inside it, but then you might as well just mod an existing Game Gear for Composite/S-Video or maybe Component + stereo sound.

xelement5x
07-08-2011, 10:26 AM
I also saw someone in another thread recently had wired the second controller using the extension port. I've got a couple plans in place for making some interesting mods to one, I've got like 10 of them laying around since they show up on Craigslist near me all the time at around $10 for GG plus 5-10 games.

oldskool
07-08-2011, 11:29 AM
I know the Everdrive is a flash cart! LOL. I guess you don't understand what I mean. There is no really good way to play game gear games on the TV... or no way that I know of anyways.. on real hardware.

Well the game gear ended at 654 dollars! =-O

villahed94
07-08-2011, 11:53 AM
What I'd like to know, is what's stopping all these modders on Sega-16 and other sites from installing an RGB encoder inside a Game Gear and drilling a hole for a 9-Pin Mini-DIN socket? Seriously, what is the hold up?? Nobody on any of these game forums has a Game Gear? Is that why? Pretty shallow reason if you ask me.

@Villahed: I'd send you a Game Gear, but I'm sure the shipping would be ridiculous. Besides, you could probably find a "dead" Game Gear on Mercado Libre, eBay or in a local game store for peanuts. Perform a cap kit and it'll work like new again.

Yeah, I`ll start looking for them. I`ve got some pretty small encoders that have a really great video quality and they are small enough to fit inside.

SpaceFlea
07-08-2011, 11:55 AM
It would be nice to have a consolized GG.

villahed94
07-08-2011, 12:14 PM
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-64337283-sega-game-gear-_JM

Is this one ok? I`d later search for a model 2 genesis ac adapter to use it on the gg. The encoder in question is the Mc1377p. It doesn`t only can do a good composite but also s-video and potentially component video.

Guntz
07-08-2011, 01:18 PM
Looks like the seller turned the Game Gear on with no game inserted. It'll probably be fine. Regardless of the common notion, most any audio/video problems with the GG can be fixed completely with a cap kit. $20 CAD is a bit high for a loose Game Gear I'd say. I would keep an eye out for something cheaper, unless $20 is the cheapest you'll find a GG for down there.

@Spaceflea:

Seeing how much space there is inside a Master System 1, somebody should try adding a Game Gear to it. Make a little slot for the cartridges and leave the mobo on the left side of the console case. Would look pretty cool if you did the modding right.

@Oldskool:

Yes there is! A Game Gear modded for TV-out and a controller port. That's your solution if the GG's screen isn't good enough.

Waterfaller
07-08-2011, 02:37 PM
The white Game Gear is pretty sexy. I like the color scheme, very wintery :)

oldskool
07-08-2011, 03:41 PM
I like the stand on the back.

omp
07-08-2011, 05:45 PM

Next one I would like to do is 2nd controller port and leave player 1 as using the Game Gear itself. Do the DSi backlight, that I posted up a while ago. I might even do the next one with RGB out using a MD2 type av plug (to make the cable simple) or just have s-video and composite (again). I had put this away (the pictured one) but after another chap asked about it, I grabbed it out and had a go. To be honest composite wasn't to bad on the 66cm Sony Trinitron. I also gave it a go on my first tv that I bought myself a 34cm Panasonic and it looked ok on that as well.

SpaceFlea
07-08-2011, 07:52 PM
Damn that thing is sweet.

Cucollins12
07-08-2011, 08:00 PM
oh my! but that game gear is beautiful..

Mordan
07-09-2011, 01:16 PM

+1.

Crackdown
07-09-2011, 01:31 PM

You mean a Master System then ;)

omp
07-09-2011, 05:28 PM
You mean a Master System then ;)

No he means a consolized GG lol

jerry coeurl
07-09-2011, 06:16 PM
This would have gone great with the ~$200 copy of Panzer Dragoon Mini I almost bought back in the day!

SpaceFlea
07-09-2011, 06:37 PM
No he means a consolized GG lol

How much $$$ would you need to make me one of these babies? :D

Or is it a project a novice could have a crack at?

villahed94
07-09-2011, 11:51 PM
Actually Iīve got a project with an encoder that doesnīt need the GG screen to be murdered. It may be able to fit into the GG and hopefully be powered by the GG itself.

omp
07-10-2011, 12:49 AM
Actually Iīve got a project with an encoder that doesnīt need the GG screen to be murdered.

Yes murdered...... Actually the screen was dead (thick dead pixels right down the centre) but the board was good. It was either bin it or do something different and useful. I didn't have any spare screen's and they aren't fun to replace, have done it once NEVER again. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it bought something not useful back to being useful. Re-locating the cart slot was a last minute decision.

Anyway I got the video out board from a chap called Viletim from SMSpower forums, made the job easy and gives you composite, S-video and RGB. Here is the board and installation instructions. http://members.iinet.net.au/~stinkyfist/reviletim/ggtv/ggtv.htm As you can see his board will fit under the cart slot.

oldskool
07-10-2011, 02:59 PM
I think the game gear has some really great games. Too bad the screen is so horrible. It's too bad Sega never made sort of a "Super Game Gear" cartridge like the SNES did with the Game Boy.

Waterfaller
07-10-2011, 03:04 PM
Or at the very least, a redesigned Game Gear that's not a battery whore and with a much, MUCH nicer screen.

Guntz
07-10-2011, 03:10 PM
In 1995/96, a redesigned Game Gear with a nice screen and long battery life would still be a dream. 2005 would have been a better year to ask for that. A Super Game Gear for Genesis would have been the best chance.