PDA

View Full Version : Segagaga

Thunderblaze16
11-09-2011, 12:22 AM
Just like in reddit, today I learned that towards the end of its lifespan, Sega released a game parodying the failure of the Dreamcast console.

The game is some sorta of RPG with classic game characters like Ristar, Phantasy Star, the freakin chicks from Battle Mania. It also has great animation cut scenes. Does anyone know if a translated version of this game well being coming out sometime? It really looks like an awesome game!

AQ3QAlwTJoU

Lastcallhall
11-09-2011, 12:50 AM
No translation of Segagaga exists, unfortunately, and no release group has made their intentions known to do so. That's a HEAVY text game, so a translation would take a while, using the Policenauts project as a measuring stick. It's too bad, as the game supposedly kicks all kinds of ass according to those who can understand it.

TrekkiesUnite118
11-09-2011, 12:58 AM
Most epic part of the game:

7Yz_Oi_6w0Q

Don't hold your breath on an English translation though.

SpaceFlea
11-09-2011, 01:28 AM
The game is exceedingly awesome; even without understanding it. The comedy is more than enough to keep you playing.

Royce
11-09-2011, 01:40 AM
I just Googled it and this was the first result:

http://www.adilegian.com/Segagaga/

The blog was last updated in September so I would say it is still probably active.

sketch
11-09-2011, 02:07 AM
I just like saying "Segagaga".

Genesis Knight
11-09-2011, 02:09 AM
No translation of Segagaga exists, unfortunately, and no release group has made their intentions known to do so. That's a HEAVY text game, so a translation would take a while, using the Policenauts project as a measuring stick. It's too bad, as the game supposedly kicks all kinds of ass according to those who can understand it.

Actually there's a translation in-progress. Not much news coming out of it but supposedly they're slogging away in the background.

Lastcallhall
11-09-2011, 02:15 AM
Actually there's a translation in-progress. Not much news coming out of it but supposedly they're slogging away in the background.
Huh. Kudos to them if they can get it done; The Policenauts team worked for something like 6 years on their project before it was ready, although they did hit a few bumps in the road along the way. Thanks for the update. :)

Breetai
11-09-2011, 02:50 AM
Beat me to it. :)

TrekkiesUnite118
11-09-2011, 10:35 AM
Oh wow. I wonder how they are going to handle the voice acting?

Genesis Knight
11-09-2011, 10:42 AM
Oh wow. I wonder how they are going to handle the voice acting?

It's just a subtitling/text translation project. There's no way they'll re-dub the voice acting.

sheath
11-09-2011, 11:16 AM
Holy cow that boss fight was awesome. I'd have surrendered when faced up against the tower of awesome though.

Obviously
11-09-2011, 04:16 PM
I found out about this game a few years ago when I pulled it out of a friend's collection of pirated JP games. I tried playing it, I had no clue what the hell was going on.

Royce
11-09-2011, 06:04 PM
Beat me to it. :)

I beat you both to it :mad: I was just a little more discreet with my link. No worries though. The Segagaga word has been spread.

SpaceFlea
11-09-2011, 06:43 PM
It's truely blowing my mind that so many people are just now/recently finding out about this game.

Genesis Knight
11-09-2011, 06:46 PM
It's truely blowing my mind that so many people are just now/recently finding out about this game.

Just Thunderblaze16, I think.

Nobi
11-09-2011, 07:32 PM

Yep. We had a few lengthy discussions about the game back when 17days was around. I think there was a method discovered to download and play the end boss battle iirc. Too lazy to post a link to the thread, sorry.

Thunderblaze16
11-09-2011, 08:08 PM

Oh, well sorry for not knowing everything about Sega when I was just really started getting into it this year.

Nobi
11-09-2011, 08:45 PM
No problems man. Check this thread out: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?10446-How-to-play-the-Segagaga-Shooter!!!!&highlight=Segagaga

j_factor
11-10-2011, 02:00 PM
Heh. I remember at the time wishing Sega would translate it and release it as the final US Dreamcast game. That would've been epic.

llj
11-11-2011, 03:59 PM
The most memorable scene I've seen in this game is when Alex Kidd talks about how Sonic usurped him as the official Sega mascot (in a faux-weepy sunset scene). Sad and utterly hilarious in equal measures.

Dirt Ball Gamer
11-13-2011, 11:49 PM
Wow that's cool someone is working on a translation. This game kind of reminds me of the old Marvel comics series called "What If". Those were pretty fun to read bitd.

IrishNinja
11-20-2013, 06:02 AM
really sorry for the archaic bump, but is there a proper thread for the ongoing fan translation effort? i couldn't seem to find it via the search...

bultje112
11-20-2013, 07:45 AM
is the translation still going on then? I doubt it.

retrospiel
11-20-2013, 08:31 AM
No, it is still going! :)

IrishNinja
11-20-2013, 09:18 AM
yeah, it went dead for a year or two but there was recently an update from the team that it was still underway & seeing progress! ill try to dig up the specifics & post them later, that's about my # 1 fan translation project right now.

Vector2013
11-20-2013, 09:22 AM
Most epic part of the game:

7Yz_Oi_6w0Q

Don't hold your breath on an English translation though.

This is the starship "SONY". It's mission, is to boldly destroy what no other empire could before...enemies from the Sega Star System...oh ohhhh ohhh oh oh oh ohhhhh ahhh ohhhh

Shapey Fiend
11-20-2013, 06:18 PM
I try and forget this game exists so I won't be banging my head against the wall waiting. Glad to hear they're still plugging away.

IrishNinja
11-20-2013, 06:37 PM
here we go, updated in late august to show it's still kickin'
http://www.adilegian.com/Segagaga/?p=190

Bottino
11-20-2013, 06:52 PM
Only Sega could have created with such a crazy and inspired game.
I'm will beast mode this thing once the translation is finished.

tz101
11-20-2013, 10:34 PM
How will it be distributed once a final translated version is ready for the public? Can an unmodded DC play burned CD's?

Bottino
11-20-2013, 10:42 PM
How will it be distributed once a final translated version is ready for the public? Can an unmodded DC play burned CD's?

Yep. As long it's fabrication date is from before 2001 .

Dirt Ball Gamer
11-20-2013, 11:54 PM
I wouldn't mind just having like a paper printout of the japanese translated in english to consult while I play it. I'm hammered so if that doesn't make sense thats what happens to mafkaz who play wit FIre!...!!!

FuturePrimitive
11-20-2013, 11:59 PM
I wouldn't mind just having like a paper printout of the japanese translated in english to consult while I play it. I'm hammered so if that doesn't make sense thats what happens to mafkaz who play wit FIre!...!!!

That makes perfect sense to me!

I don't know much at all about this game, but I've heard about it. I wish I could enjoy it. Sounds like a wacky good time. Japan gets so many cool things that never receive localization in other countries.

bultje112
11-21-2013, 06:06 AM

that's how I played it and got very far. incredible game. you could also use an e-book so you dont'have papers laying around. that's what I use in japanese story games

Dirt Ball Gamer
11-21-2013, 02:54 PM
Cool I think thats how I'll try and tackle it. This game looks too fun to pass up. I tried a similar method w advanced daisenriaku (sp?) for dreamcast. I didn't make it very far but that could also be bc I'm not very skilled at strategy games in general. I haven't given up though, one day I will figure that game out!

bultje112
11-22-2013, 04:38 AM
Cool I think thats how I'll try and tackle it. This game looks too fun to pass up. I tried a similar method w advanced daisenriaku (sp?) for dreamcast. I didn't make it very far but that could also be bc I'm not very skilled at strategy games in general. I haven't given up though, one day I will figure that game out!

I played the sakura taisen games that way. basically playing a game with subtitles on a 2nd screen.

midnightrider
11-22-2013, 10:20 AM
"All we hear is..." Am I the only one that thinks of Queen when I see the title of this game?

There are guides and story translations: http://www.gamefaqs.com/dreamcast/477341-segagaga/faqs

I have to assume those would make the game playable. When I had a Dreamcast, I read the guides for Fire Pro D until I could manage my way around the menu's. Of course, since it's a wrestling game, once it gets to the core gameplay it's no big deal, but it does have some complex creation modes.

bultje112
11-26-2013, 09:50 AM
oh fire pro d. those were the days... _O_

j_factor
11-26-2013, 11:34 PM
"All we hear is..." Am I the only one that thinks of Queen when I see the title of this game?

Sega, what's new? Sega, someone still loves you.

DJ_Convoy
11-27-2013, 12:42 AM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to j_factor again.

NeoVamp
11-27-2013, 01:03 AM
oh fire pro d. those were the days... _O_

I was furious when Fire Pro Returns didn't have that electrified exploding cage.

that shit rocked.

midnightrider
11-27-2013, 11:00 AM
...wait, so they removed that? For a normal rules cage match, which is practically "the one who chickens out, and escapes first wins?" I would have rather had the exploding electric cage.

Sega, what's new? Sega, someone still loves you.

"You had your time - you had the power
You've yet to have your finest hour"

Sadly, that does seem to sum Sega up, maybe excepting the "had the power" bit.

Devil N
11-27-2013, 11:37 AM
Geez, that entire song fits with the Sega theme.

"Like all good things
On you we depend
So stick around
Cause we might miss you
When we grow tired
Of all these visuals"

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Segagaga's title was intentionally a subtle Queen reference (amongst other things). The Japanese sure did love me some Queen.

NeoVamp
11-27-2013, 12:17 PM
...wait, so they removed that? For a normal rules cage match, which is practically "the one who chickens out, and escapes first wins?" I would have rather had the exploding electric cage.

Totally, sure the whole barbed wire boards in the corner is fun too, but why couldn't they have given us both?

Electrified exploding cage was so awesome, I would always make up crazy Japanese matches, like Hayabusa & Sabu Vs Onita & Cactus Jack.

then the timer would run down.. and BOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!

epic matches were had, not sure why they took it out of Fire Pro Returns, but here's hoping for a Fire Pro Ultimate kinda game :/

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/11/111775/2299500-bg02.jpg

Segagaga? moar like Lady SegaGaga.

IrishNinja
11-28-2013, 07:42 AM
Geez, that entire song fits with the Sega theme.

"Like all good things
On you we depend
So stick around
Cause we might miss you
When we grow tired
Of all these visuals"

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Segagaga's title was intentionally a subtle Queen reference (amongst other things). The Japanese sure did love me some Queen.

tears. this game is gonna be the one to get tears from me when the translation's done, i fear.