PDA

View Full Version : Found a very rare Game Gear Game on Vacation...

GameMaster600
11-26-2011, 11:07 AM
I was on a trip to PA for thanksgiving and there was an inside flea market. I've been to this place tons of times and there were no Video Games at all. Though when I went there yesterday, I was walking through the place and I saw a store that I have never noticed before, they had tons and tons of rare video games! And their Boxed Genesis Selection was insanely good! The only problem was the prices were some of the worst I have ever seen! $16 for boxed Golden Axe II? $18 for Lethal Enforcers II CD? $200 for an X'EYE? Nearly every game there was at least $10! Even the normally 99 cent sports games were $9! :yuck:

I ended up getting a really good deal though. The boxed game gear games were being hanged by their hang tab on a wall covered with advertisements. In the back of the line was a game being covered up by a sign in front of the spine so you couldn't see the name(I think the sign was an advertisement for XBOX for something). I asked to take a look at it, it was the a near pristine US copy of True Lies for the Sega Game Gear, complete with box, manual, cart, insert, card, and even the little bag around the cartridge, it was only $8. From what I understand, there are now 4 or 5 Boxes known to be in existence and is one of the hardest to find Game Gear boxes. It's kind of funny how worthless some Game Boy and Game Gear games are without the boxes but with the boxes they're extremely valuable.

Here are pictures: http://s1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc460/GameMaster600VG/True%20Lies%20CIB%20Game%20Gear/

Genesis Knight
11-26-2011, 11:25 AM
From what I understand, there are now 4 or 5 Boxes known to be in existence and is one of the hardest to find Game Gear boxes.

And who did you hear this from?

GameMaster600
11-26-2011, 11:28 AM
And who did you hear this from?

Kind of did some research, looked through forums like nintendo age, sega age, and here. Tried finding out how many there were.

Baloo
11-26-2011, 03:44 PM
Are you referring to that place in the inside flea market in the Poconos that charges outrageous prices? I went there once, they wanted $130 for Kolibri 32x boxed, and some other outrageous prices that made me want to gag.

CIB anything for Game Gear is hard to find though, you should try to get in touch with a user on the Digital Press forums called Portnoyd to see if you can value it, he's a big expert on Game Gear stuff.

GameMaster600
11-26-2011, 04:02 PM
Nah, wasn't in the Poconos, but sounds like their prices might even be worse! $130 for Kolibri boxed is like $100 overpriced!

Thanks for letting me know about portnoyd, I'm going to send him a message and ask him what he thinks the value of it is. I'm not trying to sell it but I'm curious to find out what it's really worth.

QuickSciFi
11-26-2011, 06:10 PM
It sure looks pristine.

...But I'd also still want some references as to where you got that info...

GameMaster600
11-26-2011, 06:36 PM
It sure looks pristine.

...But I'd also still want some references as to where you got that info...

I was just trying to figure out how many copies there were so I tried looking around on some forums like Nintendo Age, Sega Age, and Atari Age and I came to the conclusion there were at least 5 of the boxes confirmed to be in existence and owned by collectors. Sega Age rated the box as a 10 Rarity.

xelement5x
11-26-2011, 07:38 PM
I've heard the same thing about the rarity, but there are no real numbers to back it up like with 90% of all rare game claims. For all we know, there could be a shipping container sitting in NYC full of copies of the game that never got distributed.

Regardless though, congrats because that's a really nice score since they almost never show up. Depending on the demand for it it could be worth quite a lot. Keep it very safe for now though, if you put it away I'd bag it and put it in double-box or something else just to be sure.

GameMaster600
11-26-2011, 08:10 PM
I've heard the same thing about the rarity, but there are no real numbers to back it up like with 90% of all rare game claims. For all we know, there could be a shipping container sitting in NYC full of copies of the game that never got distributed.

Regardless though, congrats because that's a really nice score since they almost never show up. Depending on the demand for it it could be worth quite a lot. Keep it very safe for now though, if you put it away I'd bag it and put it in double-box or something else just to be sure.

Thanks! Yeah, with games like this, the prices and numbers are not always accurate. I guess we'll find out when the next one shows up for auction. I was just lucky I noticed the store this time and even luckier that this was marked so cheap. I'm probably going to keep it in one of those game box protectors, or at least do something to keep it safe, wouldn't want such a pristine box getting ruined.

MrMark0673
11-26-2011, 09:08 PM
I've owned and sold a copy of True Lies CIB in the past, top 7 hardest to find CIB game gear games for sure. Not Rise of the Robots rare, but certainly up there. Excellent find.

For those wondering, there really are very few of these confirmed as CIB. No idea at the real number, but I'd be shocked if there were more than a dozen known to be in the hands of collectors.

GameMaster600
11-26-2011, 09:25 PM
I've owned and sold a copy of True Lies CIB in the past, top 7 hardest to find CIB game gear games for sure. Not Rise of the Robots rare, but certainly up there. Excellent find.

For those wondering, there really are very few of these confirmed as CIB. No idea at the real number, but I'd be shocked if there were more than a dozen known to be in the hands of collectors.

Thanks! I hope that you got a good deal when you sold that True Lies CIB, bet it'd go for a ton on eBay nowadays.

MrMark0673
11-26-2011, 09:28 PM
Thanks! I hope that you got a good deal when you sold that True Lies CIB, bet it'd go for a ton on eBay nowadays.

I actually sold it very recently and did quite well. I sold it in a lot with:

Rise of the Robots CIB
Fatal Fury Special CIB
Captain America CIB

My brother's thread can be found here: http://segaage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=47&threadid=44219

Nailed most of the hard to find GG titles in a relatively short period of time, almost wished we had held onto them. Certainly not going to see a few of those for quite some time, especially Rise and Captain America.

GameMaster600
11-26-2011, 09:42 PM
I actually sold it very recently and did quite well. I sold it in a lot with:

Rise of the Robots CIB
Fatal Fury Special CIB
Captain America CIB

My brother's thread can be found here: http://segaage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=47&threadid=44219

Nailed most of the hard to find GG titles in a relatively short period of time, almost wished we had held onto them. Certainly not going to see a few of those for quite some time, especially Rise and Captain America.

That was your brother? I saw that thread while looking for information on this game. You're so lucky he get those four games so quick, you probably should've kept all of them. Glad you got a good deal when you sold those 3 though.

gamevet
11-26-2011, 10:46 PM

There's a guy selling one on Ebay right now. He wants $65 for it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRUE-LIES-Schwarzenegger-Game-Gear-Sega-Japan-Video-Game-gg-/300621930017?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fe769e21

Barone
11-26-2011, 10:58 PM
But that's the Japanese version... And, actually, the most expensive GG game that hit-japan is selling. IDK which version is the most rare.

gamevet
11-27-2011, 03:31 AM
There's a PAL version with a BIN of $37.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=390319355466&index=8&nav=SEARCH&nid=60406721590

MrMark0673
11-27-2011, 09:06 AM
What does the price of the PAL or Japanese version of the game have to do with the rarity and price of the North American version?

synbiosfan
11-27-2011, 09:15 AM
What does the price of the PAL or Japanese version of the game have to do with the rarity and price of the North American version?

This usually happens when someone skims a thread instead of reading it. And they're usually trying to be helpful lol.

gamevet
11-27-2011, 10:36 AM

This usually happens when someone skims a thread instead of reading it. And they're usually trying to be helpful lol.

Where in his post does he say anything about the region where this title is considered rare?

From what I understand, there are now 4 or 5 Boxes known to be in existence and is one of the hardest to find Game Gear boxes.

I posted 2 ebay sales that show the game is somewhat in demand for Japan and Europe. The only North American listings I could find were cart-only, and they were selling dirt cheap.

GameMaster600
11-27-2011, 10:47 AM
Where in his post does, he say anything about the region where this title is considered rare?

The pictures were of the US version and that was the version I was referring to. Sorry if you misunderstood.

gamevet
11-27-2011, 10:54 AM
The pictures were of the US version and that was the version I was referring to. Sorry if you misunderstood.

I didn't misunderstand that you had the US version. The only misunderstanding is that you claimed the game to be rare (with box) but did not really go into great detail about what version of the game was considered rare.

Going by what I see on Ebay, there's nothing to confirm that it's ultra rare, but there is a demand for the 2 versions I found.

According to this website, the game is rare, but it's not so rare that the price will be absurd.

http://www.rarityguide.com/gamegear_view.php?FirstRecord=201

GameMaster600
11-27-2011, 11:20 AM
I didn't misunderstand that you had the US version. The only misunderstanding is that you claimed the game to be rare (with box) but did not really go into great detail about what version of the game was considered rare.

Going by what I see on Ebay, there's nothing to confirm that it's ultra rare, but there is a demand for the 2 versions I found.

According to this website, the game is rare, but it's not so rare that the price will be absurd.

http://www.rarityguide.com/gamegear_view.php?FirstRecord=201

Oh, I'm sorry I didn't specify which version I was referring to when I said it was rare.

I saw that rarity guide and I don't think it's too accurate, the game would not go as little as $80 new as Game Gear Collectors have a high demand for it. A US CIB copy of the game pretty much never shows up on eBay.

xelement5x
11-27-2011, 03:34 PM
Not rail on RarityGuide.com, well actually I guess I am railing on it, but it kind of sucks in my opinion. You can get a very loose idea on stuff sometimes, but the prices seem to be off +/- 25-30% for a lot of things there, so I'd never use it for pricing. VG Price Charts is a bit better, but you can still have issues with certain stuff being put in incorrectly, or have a hard time valuing CIB versus loose.

douglie007
01-30-2015, 01:48 PM
I would think a US copy of CJ Fugitive CIB would be hard to find, shoot finding a loose copy is hard enough