PDA

View Full Version : Sega Game Gear: Any Game Suggestions?

Splatterhouse5
03-25-2012, 09:36 PM
I just picked up my first game gear yesterday, and I never realized that as many games were released for it as there are. I'm not incredibly sure as to where to start, so would anyone like to throw some suggestions my way?

I've read that the Sonic platformers for the GG are pretty safe bets, but what else would you really consider worthwhile?

Curryman123
03-25-2012, 09:46 PM
Don't strain your eyes man.

eddiespruce
03-25-2012, 09:53 PM
There's lots of fun games out there for the Game Gear. But before you start buying a bunch of games, does your GG have any problems? If you have to hold it at an 180 degree angle to see the picture, the capacitors need to be replaced. If you don't know how to solder, there's plenty of people here that would probably be willing to do it for you for a decent price.

QuickSciFi
03-25-2012, 09:56 PM
^Sounds about right, but stay away from the Sonic Drift games.

I'll give you a good 20:

1. Crystal Warriors
2. Defenders of Oasis
3. Shining Force II: The Sword of Hajya
4. Dragon Crystal
5. Ax Battler: A Legend of Golden Axe
6. Disney's Aladdin (A completely different game from what you're used to in any platform. In fact, it's a beautiful Prince of Persia clone, shockfull of animated cutscenes. It's just amazing).
7. Vampire: Master of Darkness (great Castlevania clone).
8. Sonic Chaos
9. Sonic Labyrinth
10. Sonic Blast
11. Sonic the Hedgehog
12. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
13. Tails' Skypatrol
14. Sonic Tripple Trouble
15. Streets of Rage
16. Alien 3 (better controls than in the Genesis version)
17. Bram Stoker's Dracula (completely different game than the Gen version. Another Castlevania clone, in fact).
18. Tails' Adventure
19. Gunstar Heroes
20. Hook (Like in Alien 3, the controls here are miles ahead of the Genesis version)

NeoZeedeater
03-25-2012, 10:08 PM
GG Shinobi 1 and 2 - the best exclusive (at least they were exclusive until the 3DS) games on the system.

j_factor
03-25-2012, 11:41 PM
j_factor's complete list of worthy GG games:

Defenders of Oasis
Crystal Warriors
Arena: Maze of Death
Sonic Triple Trouble (1, 2, and Chaos are better on SMS, and Blast sucks)
Tails Adventure
Dynamite Headdy (different from the Genesis version)
Tempo Jr.
Jurassic Park
The GG Shinobi
Shinobi 2: Silent Fury
Fantasy Zone (exclusive game in the series)
GG Aleste
GG Aleste II / Power Strike II
Halley Wars
Super Return of the Jedi (best version of the game IMO)
Ristar (different from the Genesis version)
Gear Works
Virtua Fighter Mini
X-Men 1-3
RC Grand Prix
Super Columns
Ax Battler
Star Trek TNG
Faceball 2000
Popils

Splatterhouse5
03-26-2012, 12:20 AM
There's lots of fun games out there for the Game Gear. But before you start buying a bunch of games, does your GG have any problems? If you have to hold it at an 180 degree angle to see the picture, the capacitors need to be replaced. If you don't know how to solder, there's plenty of people here that would probably be willing to do it for you for a decent price.

I picked up a NIB Majesco version of the GG at a flea market yesterday. The box looks like it's been thru a few wars, but the GG appears virtually untouched - The seller told me it has never been used. Everything with the system appears to be in tip-top working order. What I actually need are games to play on it, which is why I asked for game suggestions.

jerry coeurl
03-26-2012, 10:33 PM
^Sounds about right, but stay away from the Sonic Drift games.

Please explain yourself! Sonic Drift might not be the best game on the system, but it certainly beats junk like Sonic Labyrinth! :p

Tails' Adventure is my favorite GG game.

eddiespruce
03-26-2012, 10:49 PM
Tails' Adventure is my favorite GG game.

Indeed, Tails' Adventure is a great game. It was the first game I purchased when I got my Game Gear. It's a must-have for every GG owner.:)

DarkDragon
03-27-2012, 03:34 AM
No Mega Man ? You gotta buy it just because its Mega Man and somewhat rare.

GelmiR
03-27-2012, 04:30 AM
Land Of Illusion!

TMP
03-27-2012, 05:56 PM
Psychic World (how can you not love a game where the protagonist is a cute female? :D )
Vampire
Robocop vs. The Terminator

Trying to think of ones that nobody else has listed so far.

streetsofrage
03-28-2012, 05:38 AM
Super Columns

Cornholio857
03-28-2012, 10:11 AM
I second Ristar. Excellent platformer and better than the (similar and also good) 16-bit version.

I'll third this. When I first played Ristar GG I was amazed that it was a GG game. The music is also noteworthy IMO.

The Jackal
03-28-2012, 11:18 AM
Please explain yourself! Sonic Drift might not be the best game on the system, but it certainly beats junk like Sonic Labyrinth! :p

That game gets so much unfair flak, it's a pretty okay game. Not something that will set the world on fire, but still an okay game.

jerry coeurl
03-28-2012, 01:39 PM
I disagree! I did own it, btw. I can't get behind a Sonic game where Sonic can't run, can't jump, and has to collect keys to progress. Beyond that, I just didn't find it any fun. Maybe it's just me, but Labyrinth is the worst of the "farmed-out" Sonic games on the Game Gear. Well, maybe not as bad as G Sonic... I dunno, I feel like a lot of the GG/SMS Sonic games were pretty mediocre. I at least give Sonic Drift 2 points for being a competent kart racer.

I guess Labyrinth still beats truly atrocious games like Sonic 2006, though. :)

The Jackal
03-28-2012, 01:55 PM
I don't even view Labyrinth as part of the Sonic series, probably why I'm able to look past it's faults and see it as an decent game. G Sonic is just shit on a cart, pure and simple; it looks good (?), but it plays like crap.

Sonic Drift 2 was quite good, as was it's predecessor. Triple Trouble, Chaos and Sonic 1 8bit were good too; the rest were sub-par (the two Tails games and Mean Bean, I don't count; they're spin-offs).

Baloo
03-28-2012, 05:57 PM
Heh, I just wrote an article for the most recent issue of the Digital Press fanzine talking about 7 most underrated Game Gear games. If you get the magazine, check it out. For the rest, I'll list my choices here (Not in enjoyment order for me, but just overall underated-ness):

7. Sonic Drift 2

Awesome Racing game. Great amount of tracks and features, as well as racers. Best 8-bit cartoony racer I've played, and a must for the GG library.

6. Tempo Jr.

Fun little platformer in the same series as Tempo for the 32x.

5. Joe Montana Football

Awesome Tecmo Bowl-esque football game for the Game Gear. Has a lot more plays in the book too though. If only the teams had different colors aside from Red & Blue though.

4. Legend of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse

Last game in the Illusion series for the GG, late release so it doesn't get much attention. Just as solid as its predecessors though, and cheap too!

3. Tails Adventure

Awesome little Metroid-esque Adventure game Starring Tales. Very complex and has a lot of neat features, they packed a ton in here for a Game Gear game. Would have worked a little better on Genesis considering the style of game, but overall it's really good and one of the best for the system.

2. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers

Banpresto hit it out of the park on this 8-bit game after the mediocre Genesis fare. Great fast-paced 2D fighter with a story mode and a shitload of characters to play as. Seriously, this is really one of those sleeper hits for the Game Gear.

1. Shining Force Gaiden 3: Final Conflict

3rd Shining Force game for the Game Gear that never made it out of Japan. The story is an Interquel between Shining Force 1 and 2 on Genesis. You may not be able to play it on your Game Gear if you can't read Japanese (The cart is rare & expensive, though region-free), but there's a translated ROM floating freely around, and overall the game is the same old Shining Force goodness, but on Game Gear.

I'm surprised most of my choices weren't already mentioned, haha! There's also plenty of other great games on the Game Gear, like most have mentioned: Ristar, Land of Illusion, Castle of Illusion, Deep Duck Trouble, Lucky Dime Caper, Sonic Chaos, NBA Jam, there's a fairly good amount of games on the Game Gear, despite what most people think. It's all a matter of finding them really.

Cornholio857
03-29-2012, 10:59 AM
I enjoy Sonic 2 GG as well. However, this bastard pissed me off so much BITD:

http://images.yuku.com.s3.amazonaws.com/image/png/e2315dff09e2c4541b0910ec3d09f1de1e8b3e5.png

Due to the GG's lower resolution it's a tad harder to see the bombs/balls come at you. The SMS version is slightly easier.

The Jackal
03-29-2012, 11:28 AM
I enjoy Sonic 2 GG as well. However, this bastard pissed me off so much BITD:

http://images.yuku.com.s3.amazonaws.com/image/png/e2315dff09e2c4541b0910ec3d09f1de1e8b3e5.png

Due to the GG's lower resolution it's a tad harder to see the bombs/balls come at you. The SMS version is slightly easier.

EDIT: The first boss was a nightmare on both formats; you had to deal with that slope, a ball that didn't give you much room to avoid it with AND if you landed on the boss itself = instant death. And it was the first boss; terrible, terrible.

Sonic 2's okay, but I find it the worst 8bit Sonic game; for the reason you stated above and this:

http://www.sonichideaway.com/games/gamegear/s2pics/shz2.jpg

Sky High Zone. One point in the stage , you have to make blind jumps to the next platform in order to progress, fail one and you land in a bed of spikes and you have to do this about three times in a row in order to progress. Then, you have the hang-glider. Which controls like shit, holding up, then repeating tapping up and down to keep momentum does squat; the controls don't even work and you fall to your death.

Level skipping past those two levels and you've got a good game; Green Hills' BGM, which is an instrumental version of the Japanese Sonic CD theme is brilliant.

QuickSciFi
03-29-2012, 12:39 PM
^TBH, those are game-breaking elements on behalf of the devs. To have such a rough start in a game, while having the rest of it be much easier sounds like poor quality control to me. I mean, I understand the entire staff not playing through the whole game just to test it out, but, come-on! I'm sure they were able to play well into the first couple of level bosses and figure out it was a shitty deal for gamers (especially the intended audience).

The Jackal
03-29-2012, 01:42 PM
^TBH, those are game-breaking elements on behalf of the devs. To have such a rough start in a game, while having the rest of it be much easier sounds like poor quality control to me. I mean, I understand the entire staff not playing through the whole game just to test it out, but, come-on! I'm sure they were able to play well into the first couple of level bosses and figure out it was a shitty deal for gamers (especially the intended audience).

I'm guessing it was a rush job; it was released before the Genesis version after all.

Baloo
04-01-2012, 11:52 AM
Yeah, Sonic 2 was pretty bad for the first two levels on Game Gear. The game controlled well and the slowdown from the first game was eliminated, but they totally trashed it with that hang-gliding shit and near-impossible first level boss (In the master system you have a small level part of hill at the top that you can stand on that makes it MUCH easier!)

Sonic Triple Trouble went back to being bogged with slowdown too much for its own good, and some say the same about Sonic Chaos, but my vote goes for Sonic Chaos and Sonic 1 being the best GG Sonic platformers, even if Sonic Chaos is a little too easy for its own good.

David J.
04-02-2012, 12:40 AM
For anyone who recommends the GG Shinobi games, which are great games no doubt, how dare you forget about Batman Returns! It's literally the same exact game if you want more of the same, just with the Batman license.

There are some differences, even though the music style is pretty similar other than a few tracks, and the game is more linear when going through the levels but nonetheless the game is still great. I used to have a shit ton of GG games, that I think I traded them all in, or I can't find them lost them and no regrets, I would have kept them if the console wasn't so unreliable and crappy.

I think everything else has been suggested. Power Rangers, if you get one, get the original edition the Movie Edition is pretty much the same if I recall correctly but for some reason I prefer the original edition, maybe for nostalgic reasons though.

The Game Gear is very nostalgic for me, but I think everyone has said what I would have said.