PDA

View Full Version : Interview: Stephen Frost

Melf
11-16-2006, 11:01 PM
With the release of the Sega Genesis Collection on the Playstation 2 and PSP, Sega has brought us the largest Genesis compilation ever released on consoles. Sega-16 spoke to associate producer Stephen Frost (http://www.sega-16.com/forum/../Interview-%20Stephen%20Frost.php) about this exciting release and got some insight about how it came about and what the future holds. Want to know why Streets of Rage didn't make the cut? Shining Force? How about the chances of another volume? Face it, you need to read this interview!

Joe Redifer
11-17-2006, 01:47 AM
Good interview. I am hopeful for more Sega collections. I hope Mr. Frost is reading this so he can take my idea and try to get it greenlighted. Here's what I want to see:

A Sega Arcade Collection of some kind, not like the one that was released a year or two ago, but the actual arcade games emulated on disc (with full 240p and 480p support). If Sega felt generous, then they could include the home versions of some of those arcade games on the same disc. Here are some of the games I'd like to see:

Shadow Dancer - Arcade (plus Genesis and Sega Master System versions)

Shinobi - Arcade (Plus Sega Master System versions and NES version if possible).

E-SWAT - Arcade (Plus Genesis and SMS yet again)

Choplifter - Arcade (this one might require licensing)

Altered Beast - Arcade (why not?)

Thunder Blade - Arcade (This arcade game has never had a proper representation. I'd dare them to put the PC Engine version and the SMS version on there as well).

Galaxy Force - Arcade (Plus others?)

Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars - Arcade

And others!

evildragon
11-17-2006, 01:52 AM
can the PS2 do 240p while in PS2 mode? i don't know if it can, i think it's only capable of doing that in PS1 mode...

(please correct me if im wrong!)

Joe Redifer
11-17-2006, 01:54 AM
I am here to correct you. That one game.... what's it called... prequel to Shadow of the Colossus... anyway it ran in 240p. All of Sega's collection discs in Japan feature a 240p, 480i and 480p mode (like Quartet Collection or Space Harrier Collection for example).

evildragon
11-17-2006, 01:56 AM
ok, so it can pull it off.. cool, that should make an authentic gameplay.. i wonder if it even has the colored borders like the real hardware.. (that i don't think the PS2 can do, it just can't draw anything in those areas)

Joe Redifer
11-17-2006, 02:52 AM
The PS2 offers two different 240p resolutions when playing Sega Master System games for example (640x224 and 512x224). For System-16 arcade games you can choose 640x224 and that's it.
http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/crap/240p.jpg

http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/crap/gdps2.jpg
Here is Global Defense played on the PS2 in 512x224 (240p) via component video

http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/crap/gdsms.jpg
Here is Global Defense being played on a real Master System in component video on the same TV.

The PS2 can do a good enough job, but not perfect. It has the black bars for SMS games on the top, bottom, and left side of the screen. Couldn't get Sega Ages - Space Harrier to run so I couldn't check the Genesis games.

evildragon
11-17-2006, 02:58 AM
yea, i don't think the PS2 can color the overscan bars..

the way the video output on todays consoles just aren't like they used to be...

Nazza
11-17-2006, 04:30 AM
I would like to see an arcade collection simply because I was too young to get much into arcade gaming, though I can remember playing the Sonic game that was set in space.

Mr Smith
11-17-2006, 05:56 AM
Companies are so eager to cash in on old products. Why can't they make additions to the old games to make them more challenging like a couple of extra levels, unlockable characters or on-line multiplayer duels?

djtwok
11-17-2006, 06:20 AM
I read the question about Master System compilation. Hey, that would be a great Idea- GG Shinobi 1+2, Sonic 1+2, Shinobi (MS), there would be a lot of good MS/GG Titles to compile.

Rusty Venture
11-17-2006, 11:24 AM
What i wouldn't give for an arcade perfect port of "Turbo Outrun".

Sega dropped the ball by not putting that in "Coast 2 Coast".

But arcade ports of older SEGA games would be really really awesome.

InternalPrimate
11-17-2006, 12:52 PM
Great interview. Hopefully we'll see a Shining Force comp. some time in the future. I'd love to see the two parts of Shining Force 3 that never came over here finally get an official translation.

Chris Marsh
11-17-2006, 06:12 PM
I still think that there we are more conservative than we were in 1997 when the greatest hits version of Eternal Champions was released with a T. The original version carried an MA-13 and with the exception of MK all the other titles would get the same rating today imo.

Joe Redifer
11-17-2006, 06:50 PM
Oh yeah! I almost forgot the following games on my arcade list:

Super Hang-On

Turbo OutRun

Sonic the Hedgehog Arcade - (The isometric one)

Chris Marsh
11-17-2006, 08:16 PM
Doesn't Sega own the US division of Data East? If so some of the Data East games could be released as long as there are no other licenses involved (Robocop).

CRV
11-17-2006, 08:32 PM
Doesn't Sega own the US division of Data East? If so some of the Data East games could be released as long as there are no other licenses involved (Robocop).

Not exactly. Sega bought Data East Pinball, which has since been sold to Gary Stern and is now Stern Pinball, the only pinball manufacturer in the world.

The Data East library (Burgertime, Bad Dudes, et al.) is owned by G-mode, a Japanese mobile gaming company.

ary incorparated
11-18-2006, 08:04 AM
the thing is like i sead ps2 always looks poorer then origenal versions of md games,neo geo games,it always lookes bit blurred and somethimes even worser then a gameboy player or a bad RF conection,the sad thing is not many people are going to buy this if theyre smart enough,maybe very ard to say but ill say it anyways emulation is so easy these days,psp sucks anyhoe ways to expensive.you can get all games for the price of one md cartridge in the same lacking way as been ported on ps2,real retro fans have to own retro on a retro system and not o a shitty ps2(cause it lacks) for the fun stil its worth having and for psp also but GP32 GBA gismondo and Ds Ngage,Psp can play all md games problemless and those who own a psp know that.this aint going to be massive couse who want 20 md games while they could have already 100 or more on the origenal system on one ps2 disc you simply can store em all.