PDA

View Full Version : Genesis Firsts: Sega vs. MAPHIA

Melf
11-21-2006, 09:55 AM
Throughout its illustrious life span, the Sega Genesis made several innovations that had big impacts on the video game industry. From the Sega Channel to its pioneering ratings system, the effects this wonderful console had still reverberate today. One of the most controversial firsts involving the Genesis has to do with illegal ROM distribution. Long before the Internet was a part of every day life, people used bulletin board systems (BBS) to for their online needs. Sega's famous court case against one such board in 1993 set a legal standard that has been used many times since, most famously against the peer-to-peer service Napster. The latest installment (http://www.sega-16.com/2006/11/genesis-firsts-sega-vs-maphia/) of Genesis Firsts has the whole story, so why not check it out and see how all the ROM controversy started!

Genesis Knight
11-21-2006, 02:39 PM
Impressive article. Fantastically detailed and well written to boot - definitely one of the site's more classier offerings.

Melf
11-21-2006, 02:45 PM
Thank ye sir! I appreciate the kudos! :)

Flash1087
11-22-2006, 01:33 AM
Yeah, this is really good even by our standards.

Truly fascinating. I didn't even know emulation was doable as far back as 1993 and it's good to see Sega doing something about it. I myself find the idea of emulation a big grey area, but back then it when it could've been a lot more damaging to Sega I'm glad they intervened.

On a purely personal-knowledge-based note, does anyone have any more information on the devices MAPHIA offered? I'd like to know more about how they worked.

Joe Redifer
11-22-2006, 01:34 AM
But were they doing emulation, or were they copying the ROMZ to the cartridge-copying device and playing them on a real Genesis? I'm betting the latter.

Flash1087
11-22-2006, 11:15 PM
Fair enough. If it was a case of direct game copying it's even better Sega stepped in when they did.

St Louie Bee
07-06-2010, 06:55 PM
Very interesting and obviously well researched article. I don't see Genesis emulation as such a big issue today, but downloading current and even titles that aren't released yet? Scandelous! His defense was truly laughable and only got more so as the case went on. I almost expected to read "If the power glove doesn't fit, you must acquit!"

I use an emulator for screenshots or to get a look at games that are too rare for me to get my hands on otherwise, but even then only to research whatever I am currently working on.

People who defend downloading piracy baffle me. It's no wonder computer gaming is dying...