PDA

View Full Version : My confession...I threw away a working Sega Saturn

grieverr
05-24-2012, 04:43 PM
So, the title says it all.
I've been gaming since the NES in '86. I've owned all the major consoles and consider myself a gamer. I've owned, traded, and sold many consoles over and over again. And I have a small collection that I'm now trying to expand. I say all this because I want to show that I should have known better.

But, a few years ago, a coworker gave me Sega "game something" (as she called it). When I got it, it turned out to be a model 2 Sega Saturn. Cool, I thought, except I already had one. So, after asking a few people and having no takers, I decided to chuck it. I didn't want the clutter or a repeat console.

Fast forward a bit, I now visit this site daily, am looking to expand my collection, and am hating myself for such a tragic waste!! That's it, cool story bro, I know.

But have you guys ever done something similar that you've regretted or realized it was kind of a stupid thing to do?

bultje112
05-24-2012, 04:46 PM
no and I hope for gods sake you don't run into one of my fists sometime

:yuck:

AD2101
05-24-2012, 05:10 PM
There's a special realm in hell for people who do things like this...

Iron Lizard
05-24-2012, 05:17 PM
I don't throw things like that away. I donate it to a thrift store or better yet just stick out on the curb in front of my house and some lucky soul will get it. Its truly bizarre to me to find things like consoles in the garbage. So far I am up to two Snes and one N64. All worked.

grieverr
05-24-2012, 05:19 PM
I don't throw things like that away. I donate it to a thrift store or better yet just stick out on the curb in front of my house and some lucky soul will get it.

I should know, I found a Goldstar 3D0 that way!
Again, not my proudest moment!

QuickSciFi
05-24-2012, 05:19 PM
@OP: No, and I would never think of doing something like that.

AD2101
05-24-2012, 05:22 PM
@IronLizard
Didn't you also find a working iPod in the trash, or was that someone else here? I used to make out with all kinds of goodies during the twice a year bulk pickups around town; records, TV's, Betamax players, even a few boxes of old Indian Head pennies, but no game consoles :(

EclecticGroove
05-24-2012, 05:22 PM
I threw away my 32x, but I had no more games for it and it had stopped working (this was over 10 years ago) and I'd lost most of the cables for it. My Genesis and Sega CD still go strong to this day however.

Other than that, i think the only dumb thing I did was clear out a bunch of Sega CD games I had in anticipation of their "confirmed" Saturn releases. I had a much tighter budget at the time and the trade in values were only going down... So seemed like a perfectly good thing at the time, after all they were confirmed right? lol

Nowadays I keep what I buy pretty much forever. There's so much information online I generally don't have to worry about buying something with no idea as to what type of game it really is.

gamevet
05-24-2012, 05:32 PM
There's a special realm in hell for people who do things like this...

Yeah!

I say he plays Superman 64 for a month to repent for the unholiest of gaming sins he's committed.

grieverr
05-24-2012, 05:34 PM
EclectiveGroove,

same here. I don't throw anything away anymore. The stuff I don't want I'll sell/trade. But now I feel as though there's a Saturn that someone really wanted and can't have. And I feel like I killed a part of retro-gaming, or increased the value of the Saturn seeing that supply went down by one :)

Gogogadget
05-24-2012, 05:42 PM
We all make mistakes, don't worry :P

o.pwuaioc
05-24-2012, 05:44 PM
OP depresses me. :( At least he's penitent.

Moirai
05-24-2012, 05:48 PM
Edit: fucking idiot

grimm
05-24-2012, 05:52 PM
Have you ever watched Lukemorse1 on youtube? He finds games and systems in dumpsters all the time! it's insane!

Indeed..

Curryman123
05-24-2012, 05:57 PM
You committed a sin, and you are going to heck.

Kamahl
05-24-2012, 06:05 PM
So, after asking a few people and having no takers, I decided to chuck it. I didn't want the clutter or a repeat console.
May you wake up with a sore behind next to a fat but muscular man called Bruce.

The Jackal
05-24-2012, 06:09 PM
I had a Dreamcast die on me...now it's used for parts if the time ever arises.

I'd never throw a console away.

Jax184
05-24-2012, 06:09 PM
Could be worse. I've worked in two different computer recycling centers. All sorts of awesome stuff gets recycled. There's just too much of it and not enough people interested, with the value being too low to bother storing and listing and packing and shipping every single damn item. The Free Geek warehouse would go from totally empty to overflowing in something like 2 days. It just wasn't possible to squirrel away every single interesting thing.

http://www.jax184.com/pictures/T1i_6603s.JPG
Some repairable PS2s I had slowly accumulated. Recycled.

http://www.jax184.com/pictures/T1i_7290s.JPG
PowerMac G5 towers I somehow ended up with. Sold these for a song a couple years ago. The left 2 are "Xbox 2" (Xbox 360) development machines.

http://www.jax184.com/pictures/free%20geek/Museum%20sale/T1i_0526s.JPG
This was an auction I put together at Free Geek of all the cool vintage stuff which had been given away to us to recycle. No one showed up for it. We ended up culling it of the least interesting half and selling the best stuff to the Hackery, the other place I've worked with, who slowly managed to ebay it.

Right now I've got 3 Saturns in a box in my workshop which will probably get recycled. One of them's a Japanese one which someone's modded for dev work. But Vancouver is a weird Mecca for technology, like Silicon Valley and Akihabara. There's more stuff than interested people.

Thenewguy
05-24-2012, 06:36 PM
I used to work with a middle aged part-timer who also worked in a big name UK charity shop, I asked her if they ever got old computers and consoles in once and she replied "yeah, all the time, we junk all of them though as its not worth the money to get them tested, its policy" I was horrified at the time, but later realised that most of the charity shops actually do this, they just sell the games (and if its stuff they don't think they can sell they occasionally junk even them), and recent hardware (say last generation or two)

I would imagine that charity shops probably cause more damage to the retro-gaming scene than anything else in the country, everybody thinks its better to donate than throw away their machines, but in essence thats all which usually happens anyway.

Bloodreign
05-24-2012, 07:17 PM
I'd never consider throwing a working console away, not in a million years. I cherish what I have accumulated and am thankful I have what I have. I'm not rich so that would be throwing money away as surely someone would've bought it.

ELabit
05-24-2012, 07:31 PM
I bought a bunch of complete genesis sports games or the cases and I threw all the carts and sleeves in the trash. I dont feal bad cause now more worthy games are now complete. The game stores dont even want them for free they have piles of genesis sports carts already

Iron Lizard
05-24-2012, 07:38 PM
@IronLizard
Didn't you also find a working iPod in the trash, or was that someone else here? I used to make out with all kinds of goodies during the twice a year bulk pickups around town; records, TV's, Betamax players, even a few boxes of old Indian Head pennies, but no game consoles :(

Yeah when I was really down on my luck after I got fired I dumpster dived everyday around the university. I did find that 80G Ipod but it turned out to be finicky, turns out the solder joints go out on those. I put that up on Ebay as broken and got $60 out of it. I'm sure someone fixed it flipped it and made some money himself

I also found a vintage Marantz receiver and got $100 out of that. My current subwoofer was a curb find, an Atlantic Technology.

The craziest thing I ever found was in Sweden. My wife's apartments had a recycling room that everyone goes to. We found a Crystal Screen Game & Watch SMB which I got a pretty penny for. I couldn't believe the stuff they through away there. So damned wasteful.

gamevet
05-24-2012, 09:48 PM
I was at a recycle center earlier this week. I saw a dusty SNES that still held its original color. I'm pretty sure it still worked and someone brought it in because they didn't have the cord. I was so tempted to offer the guy at the scales a few dollars to buy it, but I didn't bother. :(

tz101
05-24-2012, 09:51 PM
I was at a recycle center earlier this week. I saw a dusty SNES that still held its original color. I'm pretty sure it still worked and someone brought it in because they didn't have the cord. I was so tempted to offer the guy at the scales a few dollars to buy it, but I didn't bother. :(

Gaaaaaa!!!:eek:

MrMatthews
05-24-2012, 09:55 PM
I bought a bunch of complete genesis sports games or the cases and I threw all the carts and sleeves in the trash. I dont feal bad cause now more worthy games are now complete. The game stores dont even want them for free they have piles of genesis sports carts already

Thanks again for the Saturn, by the way.

See how easy that is, OP?

grieverr
05-24-2012, 10:16 PM
@MrMatthews...I know, man. If only I had known this community back then! Or if I had the vision to think to keep it in case the one I'm using breaks. So many reasons not to get get rid of it, let alone just throw it away!!

And now to continue my hunt for a TurboDuo. I wonder how many of those have been thrown away...

MrMatthews
05-24-2012, 10:19 PM
That's alright, I pawned a bunch of very valuable (by today's standards) games when I was a stupid kid in high school. I wish I could go back and kick my own ass.

EclecticGroove
05-24-2012, 10:46 PM
That's alright, I pawned a bunch of very valuable (by today's standards) games when I was a stupid kid in high school. I wish I could go back and kick my own ass.

I wish I could go back and tell my younger self not to let my sister borrow my NES + Games, and not to lend out a few of my NES and Genesis Games to certain people.

The NES + all the games with it were stolen by her ex after she kept "forgetting" to bring it back, and a good number of the games I lent out never returned.

ELabit
05-25-2012, 04:56 AM
My friend threw out all of his saturn boxes when he was a kid now he is stuck with loose copies of MKR, Gaurdian Heroes, Burning Rangers, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon Saga......

TmEE
05-25-2012, 05:22 AM
I would happily take all your broken Saturns (I am really only interested in the motherboards).

thock2
05-25-2012, 08:16 AM
You...... You monster.......

Cornholio857
05-25-2012, 08:44 AM
While I don't agree with the OP tossing the Saturn, at least he has the balls to admit his mistake. Just don't do something like that again. ;)

xelement5x
05-25-2012, 09:58 AM
Yeah, we all make mistakes so don't fret it, life is one big learning experience after all!

Personally, I get kind of frustrated by how disposable so much stuff is today. Maybe it's because I grew up in a pretty cheap household, but if anything even looks like it has remote value or is repairable it gets kept. This is can also be a bad thing too, like when my great uncle passed away and then had an estate auction that took weeks to go through everything. My mom is showing signs of it a bit as well, but she's pretty level headed about the supposed value of things like say, a broken $20 vacuum and is willing to get rid of it.

EclecticGroove
05-25-2012, 10:05 AM
Yeah, you def don't want to get into hoarding tendencies, it can get ugly fast, and you don't even need to go into the super extreme levels of it to do so.

But I also agree that the throw away culture sucks. But at the same time, many products are deliberately designed to be consumed and disposed of. Others just wind up that way.

My 32x for instance, I had no issues tossing it because at the time I could still go into 3-4 different local stores and find new in box ones stuck on clearance shelves for $20 or less. The loose ones in flea markets and the like were practically being given away. A lot of games wind up like that shortly after their systems are discontinued, and only get worse for a bit.
How many NES/SNES/Genesis games could you find at your local game stores at ridiculous low prices when the PSX was big? I know I could have gone and bought damn near 100 at times for probably less than $1 each. They would have been more than happy to just get rid of the inventory. I just didn't have the money or the inclination to do something like that at the time.

Now? I'd imagine at least 1/4 of the games I could have gotten like that are probably worth more individually than what I would have paid for the whole lot. Even the cases and manuals for some would be worth more.

evilevoix
05-25-2012, 12:50 PM
I have THREE sitting on my shelf right now, shame on you sir. Bet he also drowns puppies...

Breetai
05-25-2012, 12:54 PM
Sure, why not? I did it all the time in Japan. Saturns, PS1s, N64s, Super Famicoms, Famicoms, Dreamcasts, Wonderswans, Gameboys, Game Gears, Neo Geo Pocket Colors, top loading Neo Geo CD units, etc. are stupidly common there. Sometimes I had like 5-10 of them at the same time, because they were like $3-5 each to buy. If I took them home and they were a bit yellowed or had a peeling label or whatever, I'd just toss them.

No big deal. I needed the space.

Disclaimer:

Aside from the slightly trolly nature of this post, this actually was the case to an extent. The consoles I mentioned really were easy to find for cheap. At that price, they were untested and I sometimes had to use 2 or 3 units to make one "good" one.

-In a Hard-Off thinking: "Okay, so here is one Super Famicom with a yellowed bottom have for $3.50, and one with a yellowed top for $3.50. There's another totally yellowed one. I'll buy all three." So, I bring them home and switch the top and bottom of the first two SuFami systems. Awesome! Except... the controller ports don't work. "I'll just switch the port from the yellowed on. Yay, it works! I guess I'll just toss all the broken/yellowed stuff now."

That's kind of how it would really go sometimes.

I did get lucky a few times. I found a PC Engine Duo for about $5 that worked. Got an SG-1000 and Mark III for $5 each. They were in playable condition. Not discoloured, but they did have some scuffs. Found an AES that had some video issues. I think it actually did get tossed in the end. The controllers and hook ups were obviously saved.

xelement5x
05-25-2012, 02:13 PM
I've heard great stories of how cheap a lot of the stuff in Japan is. Like that a white Saturn in decent shape with hookups is around $10 US and people can't get rid of them fast enough. I know I'd be in big trouble if I went back over again now that I've got plenty of cash to burn, I'd probably wind up with my own shipping container!

Breetai
05-25-2012, 02:28 PM
I've heard great stories of how cheap a lot of the stuff in Japan is. Like that a white Saturn in decent shape with hookups is around $10 US and people can't get rid of them fast enough. I know I'd be in big trouble if I went back over again now that I've got plenty of cash to burn, I'd probably wind up with my own shipping container!

I've got Saturns boxed for 525yen ($6 or so). Usually grey Saturns, but sometimes whites (very common loose) and even the odd skeleton. Cheapest I saw a V-Saturn (mk.II) for was about $20. Hi-Saturn $50 (I didn't see many of these).

The occasional $10 PC Engine original CGI or CGII. It's strange that the cheapest PCE I ever saw was a Duo. PC Engines and Mega Drived didn't turn up as often as the other consoles I mentioned in the other post. MDs more than PCEs, actually. You'd have thought the MD was more popular, even though it wasn't.

NGCD units were surprisingly abundant and inexpensive. I did toss one that didn't work well, to be honest. If I saw on here in N.America, I would never toss it. Totally different markets.

GohanX
05-25-2012, 02:58 PM
You have commited a grievous sin, but take heed! For all is not lost. Surely, if you repent from your past sins and accept Sega into your heart, the great Sega will forgive you, and say until you, "Go, and throw away consoles no more."

grieverr
05-25-2012, 03:37 PM
I think I finally figured out why the OP is called "grieverr", he's grieving over the loss of his Saturn.;)

Ha! Nice!
I do have another one, so at least I'm not missing playing.

@GohanX
LOL! I have a Genesis, 32X, Saturn, and Dreamcast. Believe me, Sega has lived in this heart for a long time :)

o.pwuaioc
05-25-2012, 04:32 PM
Is anyone in Japan right now? I could use a couple Japanese consoles. :love: