PDA

View Full Version : Cinemassacre: Sega Game Gear

DarkDragon
06-25-2012, 01:42 AM
CRlyL8XMJAQ

Zz Badnusty
06-25-2012, 03:10 AM
Nice to see Game Gear get some more exposure.

I don't care for this trend of youtube videogame reviewers expressing themselves by asking rhetorical questions.

MrMatthews
06-25-2012, 11:48 AM
And I don't care of this new trend of the utterly insipid videos made by Mike being the only output of Cinemassacre.com

Genesis Knight
06-25-2012, 11:57 AM
And I don't care of this new trend of the utterly insipid videos made by Mike being the only output of Cinemassacre.com

Rep'd. Can't stand to watch more than 30 seconds of Mike.

Baloo
06-25-2012, 12:35 PM
I don't like Mike either, and I watched this video yesterday and was thoroughly disappointed.

Dude reviews the Game Gear and doesn't review one Sonic the Hedgehog or Disney game? Pssht, fuck that. Nobody really cares about X-Men or Chuck Rock.

And dammit Streets of Rage 2 for Game Gear is a fucking amazing port. Shame on you, Mike Matei. Go back to being the AVGN's annoying sidekick.

Obviously
06-25-2012, 12:48 PM
Meh, I don't mind Mike all that much. In the over-saturated world of retro game video reviews you can do a lot worse. I also like that he's often a lot friendlier towards Sega than James even though he says he isn't a "Sega guy" in this recent video as if it's a bad thing.

I didn't enjoy his videos at first but I guess he's grown on me.

Also he's just filler, they're busy with the AVGN movie and all.

cheaterdragon1
06-25-2012, 12:50 PM
Mike is uninteresting and doesn't really bring in anything new. What would have been more interesting is showing off that Game Gear and how it works.

There's one enormous thing I hate about Mike. He keeps pulling videos. He put up an Elmo in Grouchland Review, Inspector Gadget Minecraft review, and some Bugs Bunny Outtakes video. All of those videos have been pulled because Mike couldn't take the criticism and negative comments they were getting. Amazing how a channel dedicated to criticizing can't take any criticism themselves.

Also I don't like how they keep uploading their DVD bonus features onto Youtube. The episodes are already online for free, so those extras are the only reason I ever would consider buying one of their DVDs. But now the extras can also be watched online for free.

I should have screenshotted it, but the JamesNintendoNerd channel lost over 80,000 subscribers while James was gone and Mike was making all the videos. Now that James is back, the subscription count is finally going back up.

xelement5x
06-25-2012, 01:35 PM
At least the guy was honest, he said he wasn't a Sega guy in the beginning.

Yeah, the review was not very good either in my opinion, at least for showing off why a Game Gear is worth picking up. Maybe after paying to get a modded system he only had money left to buy a couple crappy games for his video. Triple Trouble would have gone a long way in the video though.

This quote from the comments is pretty telling though

Actually, Mike, I owned the Crash Dummies game. in the bomb factory, you're supposed to blow out the fuses on the lit bombs while smashing the dummy parts on the conveyor belt.

That reminds me of the guy who bashed Nier because he was too stupid to figure out that he was supposed to go to the big red X on the map to continue and just declared the game unplayable.

Obviously
06-25-2012, 01:58 PM
I watched the rest of the review now and it was pretty lame. It was just a random jumble of Game Gear games making the title of "Game Gear Review" pretty damn misleading.

Cross
06-25-2012, 02:37 PM
I'm not a big fan of Mike's reviews. Not just bc he deletes stuff when people dislike it and he can't deal with it. There is just something about his voice and how he keeps it low until he more or less screams and hell and then he just hurts my ears. Like others have said this is really not a GG review but just him showing off some sub par games.

Kamahl
06-25-2012, 02:41 PM
Quite possibly the worst Game Gear review I've seen... and I don't dislike Mike, he's done some ok stuff like his show about game glitches.

Thunderblaze16
06-25-2012, 02:47 PM
I am interested to meet the guy who gave his game gear tv output.

btw, I can't stand Mike as well. He's like that friend who always tries to get in everything even tho he has now knowledge of it.

Guntz
06-25-2012, 02:48 PM
What I found more impressive was eviltim's GGTV PCB, that thing is beautiful! It probably costs over $100 though. How come nobody's talking about that?

Yeah, Mike is no replacement for AVGN/James, but he could be far, FAR worse. Pick a random review in the related videos sidebar. You have a 99% chance of getting total crap.

Cross
06-25-2012, 02:52 PM
I'm not sure how to link videos but this a video from the guy who did the mod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGvMESQ8kTc&list=UU4dIR167IC33xEU7sH6U1Zg&index=1&feature=plcp

Drakon
06-25-2012, 03:27 PM
Rep'd. Can't stand to watch more than 30 seconds of Mike.

Yeah I tried too and eventually got bored of watching / listening to him.

The nintoaster guy is way more entertaining to watch / listen to.

I agree with guntz that video circuit pcb is amazing and deserves more praise than it's been getting.

Zz Badnusty
06-25-2012, 03:50 PM
My first thought after sitting through his "review" was that the modded Game Gear really went to waste on such a gamer.

Drakon
06-25-2012, 04:00 PM
My first thought after sitting through his "review" was that the modded Game Gear really went to waste on such a gamer.

Look at the bright side he probably sold it once finished with his review.

Guntz
06-25-2012, 04:28 PM
Look at the bright side he probably sold it once finished with his review.

I chuckled at that, haha. Sad but probably true. Nintendo fanboys really are disgusting...

Breetai
06-25-2012, 06:28 PM
What's the deal with this guy? Why is he even popular?

Basically, he is generic and uninteresting. I don't see him doing anything different than anyone else does. He reviews common stuff, just gives basic facts and his jokes feel too scripted.

MrMatthews
06-25-2012, 06:36 PM
And he's completely uninformative and often straight-up wrong about things, as well.

Awesome artist, though.

Guntz
06-25-2012, 06:46 PM
What's the deal with this guy? Why is he even popular?

Basically, he is generic and uninteresting. I don't see him doing anything different than anyone else does. He reviews common stuff, just gives basic facts and his jokes feel too scripted.

He's not really "popular". The only reason he's being talked about so much is because he's all we have for content from Cinemassacre.com for now, since AVGN/James is busy with the AVGN Movie. Without Mike, there wouldn't be much of anything new added to the site and the associated YouTube page.

I think I'd rather just wait for the movie than watch more Mike videos. That or he needs to really improve his videos. Even James was more informative and he was making AVGN episodes!

Tanegashima
06-25-2012, 07:06 PM
Who cares?

The internet is dumb.

EddieJ1984
06-25-2012, 07:58 PM
Theres worse out there. Sure classic game room and hell all the people who do cgr undertow are probably better than mike, but hes alright.
Actually mark hussler of cgr is prob the best out there, internet vid wise.

Breetai
06-25-2012, 08:24 PM
Theres worse out there. Sure classic game room and hell all the people who do cgr undertow are probably better than mike, but hes alright.

I like Happy Console Gamer. He's gets excited and funny. Best reviewer yet is Hank (I forget his name, so I'll just call him "Hank":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wceYHj5VdQ

Obviously
06-25-2012, 08:48 PM

Mark isn't always terribly informative but he's certainly fun to listen to and his taste in games usually mirrors mine pretty closely.

Joe Redifer
06-25-2012, 09:02 PM

Oh I doubt it. The guy who did the mod is probably getting some reasonable business (and notoriety) for having his work mentioned and a link in the description. Now I'd like to talk to DogP about the Virtual Boy and Game Sack.

Breetai
06-26-2012, 12:39 AM
Oh I doubt it. The guy who did the mod is probably getting some reasonable business (and notoriety) for having his work mentioned and a link in the description. Now I'd like to talk to DogP about the Virtual Boy and Game Sack.

I'm still surprised you didn't get a copy of Battle Ace sent with to you with the SGX when you reviewed it!

Zz Badnusty
06-26-2012, 01:53 AM
Oh I doubt it. The guy who did the mod is probably getting some reasonable business (and notoriety) for having his work mentioned)
No I meant it was wasted on him because he chooses to do such insipid reviews.

j_factor
06-26-2012, 02:21 AM

Seeing the word "business" got me excited that someone was actually offering this as a service for a fee. Sadly, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Seriously, I would pay good money for a Game Gear modded in this fashion.

evildragon
06-26-2012, 02:32 AM
I should have screenshotted it, but the JamesNintendoNerd channel lost over 80,000 subscribers while James was gone and Mike was making all the videos. Now that James is back, the subscription count is finally going back up.

Talk about unloyal fans. The guys making a movie, and those 80'000 couldn't have patience..

I have always been loyal and don't plan to unsubbing ever.

bultje112
06-26-2012, 07:11 AM
I like classic game room, happyconsolegamer and hard4games.

happyconsolegamers shenmue review is the best ever

hard4games although nintendo fan's aren't blind fanboys and their reviews I really like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icdaj8APppo

cheaterdragon1
06-26-2012, 11:04 AM
Talk about unloyal fans. The guys making a movie, and those 80'000 couldn't have patience..

I have always been loyal and don't plan to unsubbing ever.

Unloyal? There were plenty of people didn't support the AVGN's e-begging you know. Then the quality of content went down. The number was dropping slowly but everytime a video was pulled, the subscriber loss went up.

Again I wish I had saved these numbers. This is the website you use to check a channels subscriber loss/gain: http://socialblade.com/youtube/

evildragon
06-26-2012, 12:43 PM
e-begging? He's not paid for this you know, he's doing it to a mostly free audience.

Either way, it's like marriage, you should still stick with something you like, even through the rough times. I for one will remain patient and will see this movie when it's released.

soviet
06-26-2012, 01:01 PM
I love Sonic the Hedgehog !

Why he did not introduce it?

X—Men and chuck rock is shit

VGTM
06-26-2012, 01:42 PM
The video may be bad, but that's one kick-ass mod.

Joe Redifer
06-26-2012, 06:06 PM
e-begging?

He had a fundraiser for his movie, far surpassing his goal which people didn't like. Many didn't understand it because they figured James already had enough money to fund the project himself based on what he makes on the Youtube channel and Screwattack. I don't know how much Screwattack pays, but it's rumored to be pretty low. And I doubt all of his Youtube videos are monetized (or are able to be). Still, I imagine he's making anywhere from $1,000 to $5,000 per month from Youtube. Some of that he must give to Mike and also that guy in the fedora. Don't trust Socialblade's stats. I do know that James does not have a regular job.

cheaterdragon1
06-26-2012, 06:07 PM
e-begging? He's not paid for this you know, he's doing it to a mostly free audience.

Not getting paid? He's making a fortune!

He gets money from:
-Ads and commercials played on his Youtube videos.
-The pre-roll commercials on his blip videos.
-Gets money from GameTrailers just for keeping the new content exclusive to them.
-He gets a percentage of his merchandise sold at the Screwattack store.
-He gets money for making content on Spike TV.
-He also would make money from the ads on his website Cinemassacre.com.
-He would also get paid to be in other peoples videos. (like the Cheetahmen 2 episode GameTrailers made)

He's not doing this for free, he's banking a fortune. And to think he actually begged people for money.

I for one will remain patient and will see this movie when it's released.I think it's going to suck. He's said it's going to be similar to the Rob and Bugs Bunny reviews. Both of which had poor acting, unfunny jokes, uninformative reviewing, and went on too long. Now he wants to make a 90 or so minute movie of all that. I'll probably end up seeing it too, but only when someone puts it online.

playgen
06-26-2012, 06:39 PM
I think some people just get jealous that he is able to make a living from doing online video reviews. Well I say good luck to him, whether you like his style or not he puts a level of effort in that surpasses what pretty much everyone else does.

havok666
06-26-2012, 07:27 PM
Not getting paid? He's making a fortune!

He gets money from:
-Ads and commercials played on his Youtube videos.
-The pre-roll commercials on his blip videos.
-Gets money from GameTrailers just for keeping the new content exclusive to them.
-He gets a percentage of his merchandise sold at the Screwattack store.
-He gets money for making content on Spike TV.
-He also would make money from the ads on his website Cinemassacre.com.
-He would also get paid to be in other peoples videos. (like the Cheetahmen 2 episode GameTrailers made)

He's not doing this for free, he's banking a fortune. And to think he actually begged people for money.

I think it's going to suck. He's said it's going to be similar to the Rob and Bugs Bunny reviews. Both of which had poor acting, unfunny jokes, uninformative reviewing, and went on too long. Now he wants to make a 90 or so minute movie of all that. I'll probably end up seeing it too, but only when someone puts it online.

Do you honestly think he's getting paid enough to drop everything in his life and make a movie? He has to pay for his house, car, bills, insurance, food, etc. I have no idea what production costs are, but he would have to pay his cast, an editor, for sound/music, travel costs, equipment costs.. and so on. While making the movie he wouldn't have time for a job or side projects like making videos for gametrailers or spike tv.

I don't understand why people are so negative about his movie. He gets to fulfill his life long dream and people donated in support of him. You don't have to be jealous about it.

Obviously
06-26-2012, 07:37 PM

He's no doubt making enough to live on but a fortune is pushing it.

Also he asked for donations and people who supported his project gave them, he hardly had to beg and nobody was forced at gunpoint to give him a cent. It's not like he took your money or something.

cheaterdragon1
06-26-2012, 09:35 PM
I think some people just get jealous that he is able to make a living from doing online video reviews. Well I say good luck to him, whether you like his style or not he puts a level of effort in that surpasses what pretty much everyone else does.
It's great he does what he likes for a living and is happy about it. I like his older reviews. I think when his show had a small budget it was best. And let's not pull the jealousy card. The only jealous one I can think of is a certain gamer who gets irate.

Do you honestly think he's getting paid enough to drop everything in his life and make a movie?Yes I do. Just the advertising on his youtube account alone nets him a minimum of $200 a day! Then he has all those other sources of income I mentioned. I also forgot he had a donate button on his Cinemassacre page way before he started the donation drive. You know I wonder if people who donated through the donate button even got the perks from his indiegogo drive. Probably not.

He has to pay for his house, car, bills, insurance, food, etc. I have no idea what production costs are, but he would have to pay his cast, an editor, for sound/music, travel costs, equipment costs.. and so on. Yes, but if he actually saved his money and carried on making episodes for another year or so, he would be able to fund the movie himself.

While making the movie he wouldn't have time for a job or side projects like making videos for gametrailers or spike tv.He still gets paid for the advertising and what he already has up. Besides, a lot of his Spike TV reviews are short. He could shoot 10 of them in a day.

I don't understand why people are so negative about his movie. He gets to fulfill his life long dream and people donated in support of him. You don't have to be jealous about it.You know there's way more people positive about it. He could have fulfilled his life long dream, and had the satisfaction of doing it all himself. And seriously? Jealous? Come on, that's what you say when you have little to argue. I would never be jealous of any e-begger.

He's no doubt making enough to live on but a fortune is pushing it.

Also he asked for donations and people who supported his project gave them, he hardly had to beg and nobody was forced at gunpoint to give him a cent. It's not like he took your money or something.Alright saying a fortune is pushing it as I don't know the exact amount. But he certainly makes more then enough to live on. He could easily have funded this movie himself over a year or so.

Hardly begged? He talked about in several videos. And you're right. Some of his fans were stupid enough to give him $1K. He didn't take my money, but the thought he begged over $300K off his fans really bothers me. But maybe he'll make his movie available for free online just as a gift to the fans. I would have a lot more respect for him if he did.

Kamahl
06-27-2012, 05:54 AM
Yup, definitely jealousy.
1. He doesn't make nearly as much money as you think he does.
2. He asked for money, he didn't demand it. He got a lot more than he needed, he used it to make a more expensive (and hopefully better) movie.
3. The donation box on his website has always been there, if people just want to give him a little thanks that's what it's for. If they were stupid enough to use it to help fund the movie without the perks, it's their problem.
4. This is no different from a kickstarter project. Why should he fund the movie out of his own pocket if he can get investors? Are you saying Tim Shaffer begged people for money to make his new PnC adventure game? Pretty sure Tim Shaffer makes has way more money than the freaking nerd.

cheaterdragon1
06-27-2012, 11:09 AM
Yup, definitely jealousy.
1. He doesn't make nearly as much money as you think he does.
2. He asked for money, he didn't demand it. He got a lot more than he needed, he used it to make a more expensive (and hopefully better) movie.
3. The donation box on his website has always been there, if people just want to give him a little thanks that's what it's for. If they were stupid enough to use it to help fund the movie without the perks, it's their problem.
4. This is no different from a kickstarter project. Why should he fund the movie out of his own pocket if he can get investors? Are you saying Tim Shaffer begged people for money to make his new PnC adventure game? Pretty sure Tim Shaffer makes has way more money than the freaking nerd.

Arguing with Fanboys is pointless. :daze:

1. I've already proved he makes a lot. We will hopefully find out later how much was spent on the movie and how much was pocketed.
2. I didn't say he demanded it. But that's not the point, you shouldn't ask your fans for money anyway.
3. I meant people who used the donate before the indiegogo page was there. And now you're calling them dumb?
4. You're right! Why fund it himself when he has dumb fans. And I don't feel like googling Tim Shaffer so I'll leave it at that.

Kamahl
06-27-2012, 11:18 AM
And I don't feel like googling Tim Shaffer so I'll leave it at that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Schafer
Asked for $400,000, got $3.45 million from more than 87000 people.
Why? Because getting a publisher for a PnC adventure game is apparently difficult.
The creator of the Shadowrun board game did the same to be able to get his RPG Shadowrun videogame made.

I meant people who used the donate before the indiegogo page was there. And now you're calling them dumb?
No, I'm calling anyone who used it after he created the indiegogo project dumb. They knew damn well where their money was going.

Obviously
06-27-2012, 03:26 PM
And I don't feel like googling Tim Shaffer so I'll leave it at that.

If you think what James Rolfe has done is bad you'll want to stage a public lynching of Tim Shaffer.

With his donated $3.45 million budget he showed fans a game that looked like something off of Newgrounds.com.

JCU
06-29-2012, 01:31 PM

He's reviewing video games for gods sake. You'd swear he's curing polio, a.i.d.s. or cancer. It needs to be kept in a rational perspective. Are some people jealous? Perhaps. I'm sure more people then not are able to keep video games as that escape from reality. When video games become your livelihood, perspectives change.

doomguy
06-29-2012, 03:25 PM
I am not commenting on the ebegging stuff but i seriously doubt the movie will be any good, it will be chocka blocked full of all the irritating pointless characters and humour which ran thin years ago. I would have much more preferable if he raised funds for a different project more like his student films, if i were him i would've got bored of making AVGN stuff a long time.

Zz Badnusty
06-29-2012, 03:33 PM
I watched two, maybe three episodes of AVGN when he was new, and that was enough.
I have no idea what Cinemasacre is, and I had no idea this Game Gear video was from some side kick of the video game nerd guy.
The shit is stupid. No surprise that he has a large following. Shit is what people want.

Obviously
06-29-2012, 05:54 PM
I am not commenting on the ebegging stuff but i seriously doubt the movie will be any good, it will be chocka blocked full of all the irritating pointless characters and humour which ran thin years ago. I would have much more preferable if he raised funds for a different project more like his student films, if i were him i would've got bored of making AVGN stuff a long time.

Yeah. I could care less about it myself. I can't see a movie based on AVGN being any good. I think the reviews got better over time but in the process the "Nerd" character became sort of pointless.

xelement5x
06-29-2012, 06:52 PM
To me, he will always be the Angry Nintendo Nerd as he was originally known, because that's what he really is.

Joe Redifer
06-29-2012, 06:56 PM
He is but Nintendo would get angry if he didn't change his name and was selling stuff, etc.

Drakon
07-01-2012, 12:04 AM
Jesus, maybe he appeals to people like you because he's "angry"

I think people watch the avgn for the entertainment of the swearing and battle scenes. I really enjoyed the bugs bunny episode. He deserves to make as much money as he wants from what he does. I've seen much worse pieces of art make way more money than what james has been doing.

I'm excited about his movie. I hope it's something with less gaming and more insane characters jumping out and engaging in random battles with him.

sega16
07-01-2012, 01:28 PM
I think that people do what they are good at and when they are forced into something else they have trouble doing the task. I think Mike is more of a behind the scenes guy and he is not used to being in front of the camera for a whole episode just being another guest character so he was in a way "forced" to make Something because the fans were wondering about the lack of content so he got forced into in a way to make a video and was a bit unprepared and does not have the years of experience of being a main character that James does. A less extreme is some Digital rev tv fans (anyone here watch that ?) prefer that Lok is behind the camera instead of in front of it because that is his main role and that is what he is used to.

retrospiel
07-09-2012, 06:40 AM
I expected the worst but I watched that Game Gear review and it was okay. Pretty good actually. Dunno what you guys are complaining about. He even mentioned that he bought his GG because of the Illusion series ("Donald Duck games"), and he showed that he owns most of the Sonic games as well. He even showed footage of Sonic at one point.

Kamahl
07-09-2012, 10:22 AM
I expected the worst but I watched that Game Gear review and it was okay. Pretty good actually.
In what way was this even a review? He talked about it a bit, said why he got one, and showed some shitty games. You call this pretty good? You must watch some horrible crap for this to be pretty good. It wasn't entertaining, it wasn't informative. I've had more fun watching those horribly lame "unpacking" videos, at least there I get SOME information. The mod he had done on his GG is awesome, that's it.

retrospiel
07-10-2012, 09:43 AM
In what way was this even a review? He talked about it a bit, said why he got one, and showed some shitty games. You call this pretty good? You must watch some horrible crap for this to be pretty good. It wasn't entertaining, it wasn't informative.

There's no need to get insulting dude. - You guys made it seem like this was the worst video ever made but I felt entertained for a couple of minutes. I enjoyed hearing him talk about how he got into GG. Loved that he bought his GG for the Donald Duck games (same reason why I bought my Mega Drive). The mod was awesome indeed.

- I am not sure it was supposed to be a review. He just introduced the GG and showed us a couple of games he got.

MrMatthews
07-10-2012, 10:52 AM
I think the main problem is that Mike is pretty clueless about video games in general, which is completely at odds with him trying to make an "informative" video.

All of his videos can be boiled down to this basic structure:

"Here's a game. Let's try it out! Umm... this game is too hard. Let's see what else James has..."

Kamahl
07-10-2012, 11:00 AM
I am not sure it was supposed to be a review. He just introduced the GG and showed us a couple of games he got.
Even as an introduction it was terrible, this is the level of quality I'd expect of a super obscure youtube "reviewer" with a webcam who has no idea what he's doing. I expected more from the guy who works with the nerd, specially when he has done good (read: ok) stuff like his game glitches show.

I think the main problem is that Mike is pretty clueless about video games in general, which is completely at odds with him trying to make an "informative" video.

All of his videos can be boiled down to this basic structure:

"Here's a game. Let's try it out! Umm... this game is too hard. Let's see what else James has..."
Repeated for emphasis.

sheath
07-10-2012, 11:31 AM
I'm not jealous of these modern day jesters at all. I am more appalled by how everything online has to be "humorous", which is defined as dropping insipid expletives every few seconds. No social commentary, no irony, nothing but self assertive expletives, that's funny? For a while I hoped this trend was just in the U.S. but now I know that everybody wants to be amused in this way. The whole thing is more depressing than funny.

Thunderblaze16
07-10-2012, 11:47 AM
People are looking into the matter of a guy just reviewing video games WAY to hard.

DarkDragon
07-10-2012, 02:29 PM
I'm not jealous of these modern day jesters at all. I am more appalled by how everything online has to be "humorous", which is defined as dropping insipid expletives every few seconds. No social commentary, no irony, nothing but self assertive expletives, that's funny? For a while I hoped this trend was just in the U.S. but now I know that everybody wants to be amused in this way. The whole thing is more depressing than funny.

I'm just amazed how popular you can get from being mediocre to average. You dont even have to be talented for people to fawn all over you and think you are brilliant.

MrMatthews
07-12-2012, 12:00 AM
Now he "reviews" Gremlins 2 on Gameboy: http://cinemassacre.com/2012/07/09/gremlins-2/

Mike is an idiot. This game is not a masterpiece by any means, but it's not nearly as difficult as he's making it sound. Why does he think that just picking a game out of the pile on a whim and playing it badly qualifies him to review it?

The Coop
07-12-2012, 12:38 AM
Why does he think that just picking a game out of the pile on a whim and playing it badly qualifies him to review it?

That's a bad thing? I guess I better stop doing that for my reviews :sweat:

Zz Badnusty
07-12-2012, 01:07 AM
That's a bad thing? I guess I better stop doing that for my reviews :sweat:

Reviews which incorporate productions values such as Cinemasacre's should at least have an equal level of research and expertise regarding the item being reviewed.

But who am I kidding. Intellectual integrity has never been a requisite for asserting oneself as a critic of videogames.

cheaterdragon1
07-12-2012, 02:12 AM
Now he "reviews" Gremlins 2 on Gameboy: http://cinemassacre.com/2012/07/09/gremlins-2/

Mike is an idiot. This game is not a masterpiece by any means, but it's not nearly as difficult as he's making it sound. Why does he think that just picking a game out of the pile on a whim and playing it badly qualifies him to review it?

HAHAHA Now that was really bad. I love how all he can say about Gremlins 2 for NES is that it's good. Also at 1:55 he quoted the Irate Gamer.

MrMatthews
07-12-2012, 02:51 AM
He also missed a perfect opportunity to appear halfway knowledgeable by addressing that the Gremlins 2 games and Batman were both made by Sunsoft. It wouldn't have improved his review at all, but I know I could have beefed up the video for a least another minute by discussing this.

Idiot.

Obviously
07-12-2012, 12:01 PM
I don't mind first impression videos if they're labeled as such but he plays a game for a bit, doesn't bother to do any research on it, puts in minimal writing effort and then tries to pass it off as a serious review.

TrekkiesUnite118
07-12-2012, 12:07 PM
I'd love to see an episode of Game Sack that mocks AVGN and co. reviews.

Joe Redifer
07-12-2012, 06:20 PM
THAT would open up a big can o' worms. Not sure if Dave and I are ready to shit on each other.

KimbleJustice
07-12-2012, 07:29 PM
"first impressions" vids don't really work for me at all. I think the only ones I've seen that worked ok are the "Continue?" guys - and that's only really on a humour basis, which is primarily the show's purpose after all - they also keep good practice, editing down their videos nicely to keep all the best bits. Still, there's one thing that's worse than first impression vids...Blind Let's Plays. Usually started by any old Youtuber with a capture card (or, even worse, a camcorder) hours after a brand new game's hit the shelves. I can't see how anyone would find it interesting to watch someone who doesn't have anything to say about a game, funny or otherwise, play a game they're only just getting to grips with unedited. What's so funny about someone just dying a lot and shouting "oh pisslettuce!" "shituccini!" or whatever compound swearwords are popular these days?

That Mike Matei Gremlins review...yeah, not very good. Seems as though he barely played any of the game. He has so little to say, and seems to miss any big analysis in favour of nitpicks - he can pick out the bird-poo stain on the bars of the radiator, but he doesn't notice that the radiator's on the front of a lorry that's headed straight for him. Makes me long for the AVGN...speaking of which, he is at least a guy who's gotten a hell of a lot better about things like context and analysis. It kind of seems like he feels that having to pack a script with compound swearwords is a bit of a burden, but that's what a big chunk of his fans want.

Thunderblaze16
07-13-2012, 10:18 PM
Mike made a NEW interesting video, what are your thoughts on it?

2yAJOu3btoY&feature

Joe Redifer
07-14-2012, 02:12 AM
31 minutes? I'm not watching that (says the guy who just released a 33+ minute video).

EDIT: OK maybe I'll watch it.

Murphy245
07-14-2012, 06:28 AM
Those goofy video thumbnails make me rage before ive even watched it,.Everybody subscribed for james rolfe so its obvious we dont want to see mike matei making videos.

Alianger
07-14-2012, 07:42 AM
That SNES one wasn't bad, except for the jokes. Kinda like a one man, unfunny version of Game Sack.

sheath
07-14-2012, 09:17 AM
Yup, Mike's obviously a typical Nintendo fan who thinks everything that isn't the top five or ten Nintendo games is obscure. Nothing on that list aside from Firepower 2000 is remotely obscure. I would go as far as to say that every game on that list shows up in every "recommend me" thread for the SNES. He tried to apologize for this at the beginning, but then at the end he just makes it overly obvious that these games were chosen because he thought they were the most obscure. Listening to him is like listening to the average Nintendo fan at any game store.

havok666
07-14-2012, 09:58 AM
I stopped watching at Runsaber. Rock N Roll Racing obscure? It was on SNES, Genesis, ported to GBA and developed by Blizzard of all companies.. Also Magic Sword and Knights of the Round? These are two very popular and classic arcade games.

KimbleJustice
07-14-2012, 10:01 AM
Mike made a NEW interesting video, what are your thoughts on it?

That it's not very interesting. BAM! Took me all lunch, that one.

Zebbe
07-14-2012, 10:50 AM
The nerd is great, Mike is great. I donated money to the movie. I don't care if he is a millionaire or not, I think he deserves it for all his hard work which I get to see for FREE, ads and % on merch, or not. People keep bragging on his incomes, but not a single line about his expenses. Apparently the accountants on the internet only know one half of the economy.

cheaterdragon1
07-14-2012, 08:43 PM
Yup, Mike's obviously a typical Nintendo fan who thinks everything that isn't the top five or ten Nintendo games is obscure. Nothing on that list aside from Firepower 2000 is remotely obscure. I would go as far as to say that every game on that list shows up in every "recommend me" thread for the SNES. He tried to apologize for this at the beginning, but then at the end he just makes it overly obvious that these games were chosen because he thought they were the most obscure. Listening to him is like listening to the average Nintendo fan at any game store.

Well said. This video is at least one of his better ones though. I only watched parts of it, but he was getting his facts straight for what I saw.

I'm glad he didn't put Earthbound on it. Earthbound is one of the most over rated retro games I know, yet people continue to think it's the opposite.

Zebbe
07-15-2012, 08:11 AM
I think he did a good job in picking the games, since most regular top 10 SNES game lists have none of the games mentioned, instead they usually look something like this:

1. Super Mario World
2. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
3. Super Metroid
4. Super Castlevania IV
5. Super Street Fighter II
6. Super Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
7. Super Final Fantasy III
8. Super Donkey Kong Country
9. Super Chrono Trigger
10. Super Earthbound

retrospiel
07-15-2012, 10:49 AM
Haha, "Super"!

No, they usually look like this:

1. Donkey Kong Country
2. Donkey Kong Country 2
3. Donkey Kong Country 3
(repeat)

Only game that did not belong in this video was RnRR, I think, but at least it gave him an opportunity to say that the SNES version is superior to the Genesis version (which it is). Dunno, this game seemed to be moderately huge in Europe back then, mostly because of the music of course.

Kamahl
07-15-2012, 10:58 AM

1. Donkey Kong Country
2. Donkey Kong Country 2
3. Donkey Kong Country 3
(repeat).
*pukes blood filled vomit*

Obviously
07-15-2012, 11:09 AM
I enjoyed the SNES video, but I also liked the "obscure" NES games one.

Like others said none of these games are really very obscure. I'd even argue that Firepower 2000/Super SWIV is pretty well known these days.

Someone needs to tell him The King of Dragons was an arcade game first. There were a few other parts where I felt he should have actually done a minute's worth of research instead of saying crap like "I bet it's like this because..."

I don't expect to see a Genesis version of this because the average Cinemassacre fan probably finds everything but Sonic obscure.

Haha, "Super"!

1. Donkey Kong Country
2. Donkey Kong Country 2
3. Donkey Kong Country 3
(repeat)

Ugh... I actually saw a list like this not too long ago.

sheath
07-15-2012, 11:09 AM
Rock N Roll Racing was huge here as well, and when it came out on the Genesis we all played through it again anyway. Magic Sword was lauded as a perfect Arcade conversion for the SNES, better than anything on the Genesis, and I have seen it talked about every year since. Runsaber was reviewed as Strider on the SNES, and ever since then ever SNES fan has claimed it actually was Strider on the SNES, which would be the opposite of obscurity. Knights of the Round might be obscure, but it deserves to be with no combos, but I might be thinking of the other Golden Axe "clone (http://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/916396-snes/answers?qid=39767)" King of Dragons. Hagane is obscure because it wasn't actually released.

I personally think he went down one or two lists just like this (http://www.racketboy.com/retro/best-undiscovered-super-nintendo-snes) and picked the games he knew about.

GameMaster600
07-15-2012, 02:17 PM
Haha, "Super"!

1. Donkey Kong Country
2. Donkey Kong Country 2
3. Donkey Kong Country 3
(repeat)

*pukes blood filled vomit*

But Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2 were fantastic games, I don't know about the 3rd one but I'll find out when I get my SNES modded. Anyway, the first Donkey Kong Country would probably not be in my top 10 Super Nintendo games, the second one however would probably be. It was that much better.

About the video, I face-palmed when he said that Firepower 2000 was original called SWIV and to make it simple they called it Super SWIV in Europe even though he JUST SHOWED a Super Famicom cart that said "Super SWIV" and a title screen that also said "Super SWIV". It was also stupid when he said that The Firemen was one of the best games on the SNES but was only released in Europe. First of all, that game was also in Japan, and second, if it was never released in US, doesn't it deserve to be on the list even more? Doesn't that make it more obscure?

retrospiel
07-15-2012, 06:04 PM
But Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2 were fantastic games

I haven't said they were bad games, just that a regular Top 10 looks like that, so all things considered Mike Matai's list was rather solid. I have yet to play at least 1/3 of the games he introduced.

KimbleJustice
07-15-2012, 06:12 PM
JonTron's a huge fan of Donkey Kong Country and that was all over his own SNES top 10 (which, I should point out, was overall, not just underrated titles). Having said that, I dispute the idea that DKC games dominate SNES lists. DKC 3 is a bit of an esoteric choice and much less liked than the other two games, and usually the original gets passed over in favour of DKC 2. Of course, it has to be said that if you don't like Donkey Kong Country, then you are STUPID! Sorry, I know that's insulting, but it's also the truth! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXzxJjIXHik)

(Oh, George Wood...)

Phantar
07-16-2012, 10:20 AM
God, did this latest video suck! Mike certainly has no idea what "obscure" means. And his observations and research on the games SUCK. "Slimer driving a car" in Rock'n Roll racing? This Slimer like figure is not a selectable driver/character! "A character that looks like Olaf from Lost Vikings"? That IS Olaf from Lost Vikings, you dolt! Blizzard also created that game! Also, you already run into oil slicks in world two, not three like he claims!

I almost switched off the video right after the #10 spot, because if the clip starts of that horrible already, there's nothing to be expected from the rest! And the rest wasn't really all that better. Does he even do research for his videos at all? Certainly doesn't seem like it.

Thunderblaze16
07-16-2012, 11:09 AM
I say we should kidnap Mike and ask for one million dollars in return.

Obviously
07-16-2012, 11:15 AM
JonTron's a huge fan of Donkey Kong Country and that was all over his own SNES top 10 (which, I should point out, was overall, not just underrated titles). Having said that, I dispute the idea that DKC games dominate SNES lists. DKC 3 is a bit of an esoteric choice and much less liked than the other two games, and usually the original gets passed over in favour of DKC 2. Of course, it has to be said that if you don't like Donkey Kong Country, then you are STUPID! Sorry, I know that's insulting, but it's also the truth! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXzxJjIXHik)

(Oh, George Wood...)

I don't like the Donkey Kong Country games, want to fight about it? :P

Kidding aside, it's not because I think they're awful games or anything. There's a difference between not liking something and not respecting that it's a quality product and I do respect it. I just personally could never really get into any of them. I don't hate the games but what I see are decent platformers with an aesthetic that I don't enjoy where other people see legendary, super-amazingness. And I digress, I'm guilty of holding games on pedestals myself that other people don't see as very big deals.

Also JonTron is entertaining and I like his videos but I don't always have the same tastes or opinions as him, especially that SNES list of his. That's not a crime or anything, and it's fine because he made it clear the games were his personal favorites and not meant to reflect the opinions of other gamers. It'd be pretty weird if there was a reviewer who agreed with me 100% of the time.

Kamahl
07-16-2012, 11:32 AM
Donkey Kong is ugly and boring.
Donkey Kong 2 is prettier and less boring.
Donkey Kong 3 is garbage.

KimbleJustice
07-16-2012, 11:49 AM
I don't like the Donkey Kong Country games, want to fight about it? :P

Kidding aside, it's not because I think they're awful games or anything. There's a difference between not liking something and not respecting that it's a quality product and I do respect it. I just personally could never really get into any of them. I don't hate the games but what I see are decent platformers with an aesthetic that I don't enjoy where other people see legendary, super-amazingness. And I digress, I'm guilty of holding games on pedestals myself that other people don't see as very big deals.

Well, I quite like DKC 1 - I loved it a lot more when I was a kid. I doubt it would make my own SNES top 10, if I was to make one - there's plenty better games, but of course it's a diff'rent strokes thing :). As far as the game's rep goes...where you go on the Internet factors into how you percieve it, I guess. A lot of the other forums I've posted on seemed to have pretty conflicting/negative views about the series, especially on DKC 1. DKC 2 generally got approved as the best one, and DKC 3 usually just got a swift booting if it was even mentioned at all (no one likes Kiddy Kong...)

(To clarify, "You are STUPID!" was a reference to the video behind the link - I don't think people who dislike DKC are stupid :))

MrMatthews
07-16-2012, 01:18 PM
God, did this latest video suck! Mike certainly has no idea what "obscure" means. And his observations and research on the games SUCK. "Slimer driving a car" in Rock'n Roll racing? This Slimer like figure is not a selectable driver/character! "A character that looks like Olaf from Lost Vikings"? That IS Olaf from Lost Vikings, you dolt! Blizzard also created that game! Also, you already run into oil slicks in world two, not three like he claims!

I almost switched off the video right after the #10 spot, because if the clip starts of that horrible already, there's nothing to be expected from the rest! And the rest wasn't really all that better. Does he even do research for his videos at all? Certainly doesn't seem like it.

What cracks me up is that if you read the comments for the videos, they're all positive, but many of them are offering words of encouragement, clearly implying that there are many negative comments that have mysteriously disappeared.

Guntz
07-16-2012, 05:28 PM
Regardless of what the superior-thinking non-North American users here think, I think DKC2 and 3 are very good platformers. Never cared much for DKC1 though, it's the weakest in the series.

j_factor
07-16-2012, 05:45 PM
Regardless of what the superior-thinking non-North American users here think, I think DKC2 and 3 are very good platformers. Never cared much for DKC1 though, it's the weakest in the series.

Agreed. DKC1 is just decent enough that I barely consider it worth playing. 2 and 3 are very good though. I also like 3 a little more than 2, but I think I'm the only person in the universe with that opinion.

zetastrike
07-16-2012, 05:58 PM
Agreed. DKC1 is just decent enough that I barely consider it worth playing. 2 and 3 are very good though. I also like 3 a little more than 2, but I think I'm the only person in the universe with that opinion.

No you're not. I like DKC3 a lot more than 2. DKC2 has a lot of problems, for one a lot of the levels are poorly designed and not that fun to play, the music is really boring moreso than the other two, the difficulty hits the roof around the third world, the lost world is just not fun, and most of all the level environments themselves are just not appealing like they are in the other two games. Almost every level is very dark and bleak looking. I don't enjoy looking at them and running through them. DKC3 fixed all of these problems. One of the best improvements is making the DK coins a lot less of a pain to find. In the second one you had to search every nook of each level to find those stupid coins and I just gave up eventually. DKC3 is a lot less of a chore to play through.

Obviously
07-16-2012, 09:14 PM
What cracks me up is that if you read the comments for the videos, they're all positive, but many of them are offering words of encouragement, clearly implying that there are many negative comments that have mysteriously disappeared.

This is the one thing that I really don't like about Mike. I can understand deleting personal attacks and crap like that but he removes any and all criticism. If he can't handle it he should stop putting himself out there.

Guntz
07-16-2012, 09:27 PM

3rd on the bandwagon here. I recognize DKC2 is a very well done game, but I liked 3 better as well. I liked the theme, characters, enemies, level design and secret areas more. I think a lot of the music in DKC3 rules, but that's just a personal preference. I like the bonus coin level theme more and the intro is full of win too.

Joe Redifer
07-16-2012, 11:21 PM
He doesn't remove all criticism, he just doesn't let it get posted in the first place as the comments must first be approved. I made a comment suggesting that he cover the TurboGrafx-16 and if he had any questions on it, feel free to ask. I also said that he didn't have to approve the comment, I just wanted to make the suggestion because I know he would read the comment. He approved the comment.

EddieJ1984
07-20-2012, 11:04 PM
He has a new vid up he "reviews" a few batman games.
http://cinemassacre.com/2012/07/19/mike-reviews-some-batman-games/

When reviewing batman the animated series for game boy, he says "just the fact they let you wall jump is surprising for a game boy title"

Yea, Batman: Return Of The Joker for game boy (which came out BEFORE batman tas) you can walljump.

Also the graphics dont look that horrible in the gbc game imo, I get that its based of animated batman.

MrMatthews
07-21-2012, 12:10 AM
I can't... not... watch it...