PDA

View Full Version : Reader Article: What Music Do You Listen to While Playing Genesis?

Melf
02-05-2007, 11:54 PM
Sega-16 is looking for readers to share with us the type of music they listen to when they play their Genesis, for an upcoming article. Tell us what gets you pumped, as well as any special experiences you've had while playing to a particular song. Those interested should send their submission (around 400 words) to editor Vince Thornburg (http://www.sega-16.com/forum/../contact.php?toname=Vince+Thornburg). Look for the article on Friday, February 23!

Mr Smith
02-06-2007, 07:25 AM
I was under the impression the games had their own music.

Melf
02-06-2007, 08:55 AM
Many people like to play some music in the background, either to get them going, or to drown out a particularly bad soundtrack.

VinnyT
02-06-2007, 11:19 AM
Like, for example, I used to always play Incubus songs while playing GoldenEye on my N64. Don't know why, it just seemed to fit.

Zebbe
02-06-2007, 12:16 PM
I usually listen to and enjoy the music of the games I play, but when I don't I put on a record of Gothenburg Death Metal, like Dimension Zero. I find it hard contributing to this article since I like game music so much and rarely mute it for my metal records, sorry!

InternalPrimate
02-06-2007, 12:57 PM
This might sound strange, but I played Metallica's Load (Which may be their worst album) over and over during boss battles in Lunar, Lunar Eternal Blue, and Vay. Which to me seems odd because those games all have great music. King Nothing will forever be synonymous with the final battle with Ghaleon.

As for music in non-Genesis games, I cannot play Halo without Rob Zombie playing in the background. Do I like Rob Zombie? Not very much. Again, a few of his songs just keep me in the fragging mood.

EDIT: I guess I should send a submission to Vince :)

Rodger
02-06-2007, 06:01 PM
interesting concept. these days, i tend to listen to the in game tunes. But I have enjoyed George Michael songs to video games.

Even stranger when it comes to music i played when playing games, I strongly connect Kirby's Adventure on the NES with Right Said Fred's "Up" album. I'm too sexy for my kirby? Hmm, I guess so.

Mr Smith
02-06-2007, 09:05 PM
Sorry chaps, but I really don't understand this one. Listening to music and playing games are, to me, two different concepts and the only time I will ever do such a thing is on a PC game without music or a game with customisable soundtrack.

Demonic Weasel
02-06-2007, 10:25 PM
Heh. Just listen to Leonard Cohen. That stuff's great under any circumstances.

Necrocheese
02-06-2007, 10:53 PM
I like the game music. But on those very rare occasions when the game music is shit, metal is used.

Joe Redifer
02-06-2007, 11:44 PM
The only time I listen to music that's different than what the game provides is on Xbox racing games. Music on the Xbox console is usually pretty weak (Rallisport 1 and 2, Burnout Revenge, etc). So instead I use the custom soundtrack feature and play Yuzo Koshiro's Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 2. But again, only on Xbox racing games. The Xbox360's custom soundtrack is so incredibly broken it is not even worth thinking about.

Mendicant
02-07-2007, 03:23 AM
In an odd twist, there was this one time, my friend & I were watching an anime called "Burn Up". I practically jumped out of the couch when I heard a track taken directly from Final Fight CD. I was like "DUDE! The music they're playing is from FINAL FIGHT!!" He... ...wasn't really interested.

And...er... Do listening to Michael Jackson's songs while playing Moonwalker count? :D

Melf
02-07-2007, 11:33 AM
" He... ...wasn't really interested.

Lol.

And...er... Do listening to Michael Jackson's songs while playing Moonwalker count? :D

Only if you played thriller during the cemetery stage. :p

ary incorparated
02-10-2007, 09:08 PM
This might sound strange, but I played Metallica's Load (Which may be their worst album) over and over during boss battles in Lunar, Lunar Eternal Blue, and Vay. Which to me seems odd because those games all have great music. King Nothing will forever be synonymous with the final battle with Ghaleon.

As for music in non-Genesis games, I cannot play Halo without Rob Zombie playing in the background. Do I like Rob Zombie? Not very much. Again, a few of his songs just keep me in the fragging mood.

EDIT: I guess I should send a submission to Vince :)

reload was their worst load had just some pretty great rock songs on it pretty much find it a good to decent one,St anger that was pretty worse.

ary incorparated
02-10-2007, 09:10 PM
anything i like Lords of thunder metallica a bit megadeth exception,mostly the music that comes with the game.

Nazza
02-11-2007, 02:08 AM
Sorry chaps, but I really don't understand this one. Listening to music and playing games are, to me, two different concepts

I often find myself wanting to listen to music, and sitting down doing nothing but listening is really boring. So I fire up the PlayStation or Mega Drive to keep me occupied.

I have good memories of listening to Ultimate Yes while playing NHL '96. I once played a mix CD while playing several games; I'll always think of ELP's "The Sheriff" when I get to the shooter levels of Alien Storm.

Benjamin
02-12-2007, 08:44 PM
The only time I listen to music that's different than what the game provides is on Xbox racing games.

Extend that to EA Trax titles or pretty much anything that foregoes an original, more interesting and relative soundtrack in favor of "real band" music for me. I absolutely cannot ignore a game's soundtrack and have no interest in playing out of place music over it, but when the developer makes that decision for me, then I don't mind. Makes playing Tony Hawk tolerable. :)

metalliqaz
02-12-2007, 11:44 PM
Honestly I've never wanted to listen to music while playing my genesis.

However, I will say that while playing quake on my computer, I have been known to listen to misc. heavy metal, or, movie scores (lord of the rings, requiem for a dream, the rock, metal gear solid 2: sons of liberty soundtrack), or, even some techno (a good beat to synchronize to)

-d

Alianger
06-21-2007, 01:21 PM
I've never listened to other music while playing the genesis or any other pre-playstation console. But when the soundtracks started getting licensed I started turning them off.. :P I usually do it with sports games.

Sorry, I just don't think this would be an interesting read.

BlueBlur
09-19-2007, 09:02 AM
I don't listen to this much anymore, but I will always associate Genesis with the Ace Of Base album "The Sign" because that album had just come out the summer I first played the system and I listened to it constantly. I still listen to it sometimes when I want to remember the good old days of the early 90's (I feel so old).

VinnyT
09-19-2007, 09:44 AM
AHHH! Not this bomb! Take it away take it away!

Zebbe
09-19-2007, 12:07 PM
He, Ace of Base. The Bridge was one of my first CDs. Got it '95 I think.

Genesis Knight
09-19-2007, 03:14 PM
Did this feature ever happen?

VinnyT
09-19-2007, 05:01 PM
No because it was a horrible idea!

Genesis Knight
09-19-2007, 05:06 PM
Ouch. How embarrassing. :p

AxelStone
09-20-2007, 09:15 PM
What music do I listen to while playing Genesis?....BGM perhaps....

Myrkwood
10-09-2007, 06:58 AM
I listened to wes montgomery (fantastic jazz guitar player) while playing sonic 3 once I remember. But it depends... I think I remember listening to summoning (a black metal band) while having 2 players on Golden Axe 2 before. I dunno depends what I feel like at the time... I may do a kind of list thing of albums I have that go with the games I have.

I also listen to the BGM. Depends what my mood is... whether I want to put a CD/LP on or not.

starphaser
10-17-2007, 06:24 AM
i usually love video-game music, so i almost never turn off the music while playing. if the game music is SO bad that i have to put some other music to be able to play, it usually means that A) the game isn't worth playing or that B) my usual indie rock (such as sonic youth, radiohead, liars, sigur rós, my bloody valentine, etc) will do jus' fine. :)

there was this one time, tho, that i played silpheed while listening to brahms concerto for violin and orquestra and it was AMAZING. really, an entire different experience.

Iron Lizard
10-17-2007, 06:59 PM
I listen to music when there is none in a game but Genesis games usally never fall into thatcategory. I remember when Doom came out years ago I would listen to Type o Negative for some reason.

AxelStone
10-17-2007, 09:24 PM
Most in-game music from the 16-Bit Era is woeful(there are exceptions to this rule). I normally listen to soundtracks from games like Shadow of the Collosus or the like. The composer; Kow Otani is amazing. Seriously though, try listening to the soundtrack from MGS 2 or 3 while playing something like Streets of Rage and it becomes a habit.

Genesis Knight
10-17-2007, 09:27 PM
Otani's work is severely underplayed, esp. considering the sheer volume he's produced.

Bratwurst
10-17-2007, 09:33 PM
Frankie Valli & the Four Seasons while playing Contra Hard Corps online as Browny or Fang.

Usually I just let a video game's own music do its thing.

AxelStone
10-18-2007, 01:33 AM
Shadow of the Collosus is Otani's finest work.
Otherwise Akira Yamaoka is the most talented man in the industry.

Siamey
10-18-2007, 12:38 PM
What the christ. Why would you not want genesis music

AxelStone
10-18-2007, 09:07 PM
What the christ. Why would you not want genesis music

C'mon dude, most Genesis music is bad admit it. Most tracks in games are simply watered down techno. There are certain significant exceptions like Sonic and Golden Axe wherein the development team has actually put effort into the sound but for most of the part I have been deeply dissatisfied from the get go with the music in a lot of Genesis games.

TmEE
11-04-2007, 02:40 PM
I usually respect the games own music, no matter how bad it is, but if I really have to (in case of Duke Nukem 3D), I'll find Judas Priest - Painkiller from my small 20GB metal collection (I admit, I have only 1 real CD), put it looping and listen it... sometimes Megadeth, Manowar, Iron Maiden... so if I do listen anything else than game's own soundtrack, it'll be some genre of metal. And in very rare occasions Italo Disco...

Genesis Knight
11-04-2007, 07:21 PM
C'mon dude, most Genesis music is bad admit it.

Most, as in a percentage majority? Probably. But there are still dozens and possibly hundreds of god-awesome soundtracks on the Genesis.

Zebbe
11-05-2007, 08:27 AM
So true, Genesis Knight, so tr00!