PDA

View Full Version : A demo of my game

Bibin
08-04-2013, 06:40 PM
Hey, I've been working on this game for a long time, and I've released a demo of it. It's for both Windows and Mac as of this release - previously it was Windows only.
It's made in C++ using the Allegro library.

The download links and description are on this page: http://mikejmoffitt.com/wp/?p=211

And a screenshot of my CRT emulation to get you interested:
http://mikejmoffitt.com/img/gitm-august/ingame1.png

Please give it a try and let me know what you think!

sketch
08-04-2013, 06:58 PM
Downloaded but couldn't play, as I am not running OS X 10.8 :( However, the screenshots look very cool. I like the low res monochrome look and the art style. Good stuff.

evildragon
08-04-2013, 07:40 PM
I'm running 10.9, will it work with that? Not sure if your compiler supports unreleased OS versions.

Bibin
08-04-2013, 08:13 PM
It's just clang, with Xcode. It ran fine with Xcode 5 developer preview, so probably. Best way to find out is to give it a try!

Sketch, I'll see if I can set the target OS to be 10.6, as the libraries I'm using definitely support it. I may have to grab Apple's SDK stuff for it, though.
On that note, the game runs fine under WINE, if anyone using linux or an unsupported intel Mac wants to try it.

EDIT: Repackaged it with 10.7 as the target, should be okay now.

Raja
08-05-2013, 12:11 PM
Played it - was extremely difficult in some parts. Love the music and gameplay. Overall those six levels are very good and interesting - got hit by those drop down blades A LOT.... it has that certain level of frustrating gameplay with the satisfaction of making it through the level to that transporter thing. Strikes a good balance - might be too hard for some people and others might call it too repetitive (depending on what else awaits) imo.

Would be a great Genesis game in my opinion - pretty simple graphics and has that rough sound that fits well on the genesis.

Overall excellent job! I like it a lot.

EDIT: that 4th stage was damn near impossible.... F that stage... haha

Bibin
08-05-2013, 03:02 PM
I've come up with a pretty neat way of solving the fact that some may find levels too hard. It's all in the level select.

The level select is in a 9x9 grid, and you start in the center. As you beat a level, adjacent levels become open, and this is how they unlock. This means that if one level is too hard for you, you can work around it by beating nearby ones and then can come back to it later. The game is nonlinear this way, but still limits the order in which you play somewhat. The difficulty is a gradient as well, being easiest near the starting area and getting hardest as you go further.

The wrenches unlock hidden levels in the final.

These features aren't in the demo, but it's how I plan to help players not feel stuck.

Raja
08-05-2013, 05:34 PM
Another way might be to let people continue from the closest platform where they die. Maybe add a 'spawn point' in the map editor that you can set as kind of a checkpoint area. If this is in there already I didn't notice. Also are there other controls besides the jump and movement keys (incl. wall climb)?

Bibin
08-05-2013, 07:41 PM
You can use A and D for left and right if you so prefer.

We thought of a checkpoint, but that would make the game too easy. Most of these hard levels players will be able to reach once they have gone through the easier, fundamental levels, so they will not be experiencing mistakes from not being familiar with the mechanics yet, but rather those of misjudgment and puzzle solving.

Stef
08-06-2013, 07:25 PM
Tested the game quickly, not that quickly after all... i really enjoyed and passed more time than expected ;)
The game is really well done, congrats !!! I really like the graphics and the music as the simple and efficient gameplay !
I meet some minor troubles as the spikes collision which is really not permissive: walking on horizontal spikes actually kill you, a bit frustrating ^^
Also i got stuck on level 2, can we crouch ? or maybe there is severals possible ways and i tried a bad one :-/

Bibin
08-06-2013, 07:42 PM
Glad you like it! Sorry about the spikes - it's not Sonic the Hedgehog; any angle is death!
Level 2 just requires a little more exploration, it's not obvious at first.

Stef
08-07-2013, 06:21 AM
Yeah the spikes are evil :p
I guess i will have to give a second try for the second level then :)