PDA

View Full Version : Genre Spotlight: Full Motion Video Madness

Melf
03-15-2007, 11:31 PM
Sega-16's Genre Spotlight series is designed to examine every single Genesis/Sega CD/32X title available for a specific category, be it fighters, RPGs, or shmups. It's a hard, time-consuming thing to do, but all other entries pale before this latest installment. Staff writer Patrick Wainwright has boldly gone where no one has gone before: full motion video games. Yes, Patrick dove head-first into perhaps the most controversial genre of them all, and his hard work has given us a great piece on all the FMV games released for the Sega CD/32X. Check out his awesome article Full Motion Madness (http://www.sega-16.com/2007/03/genre-spotlight-full-motion-video-madness/) for all the details. Welcome to the Next Level.

Joe Redifer
03-16-2007, 01:43 AM
I still have the Dragon's Lair demo CD. An EB employee gave it to me for free one day for no reason (I came in a lot asking about Sega). I did not argue and accepted it. I also have or had a playable AH3 Thunder Strike demo CD.

How is Racing Aces an FMV game? Same question goes for Urusei Yatsura. Urusei uses normal bitmapped animation like the cutscenes in most TurboGrafx/PC Engine CD game, or like the opening sequences in Sol Feace or the scenes in Lunar, etc etc etc. It is not recorded video like, say, Time Gal. In fact there really isn't a ton of animation in the game, mostly it is point and click on still backgrounds. Silpheed, however, does stream FMV for it's backgrounds.

Typo I saw:

Fahrenheit:
"It's playable on the Sega CD alone but receives a boost hrough the 32X,"

wayne919
03-16-2007, 01:56 AM
Yeh i may have some mistakes in my classification. I havent played all the games on the list and just went with what classification i saw or what i read.

Benjamin
03-16-2007, 06:11 AM
There was never a Prince Make-My-Video developed. The Prince Sega CD title was simply a collection of videos on disc which could be played like a VHS tape but offered no editing options. At least that's what was mentioned in the brief EGM article that covered the title.

kevinski
03-16-2007, 07:31 AM
I've never played any of the FMV games on Sega CD, but I wanted to point something out regarding a comment made in the description for Microcosm. A microcosm is a miniaturized representation of something. Furthermore, a microcosm can simply be a miniature version of of something. This game is obviously leaning more towards the latter.

To give an example of a microcosm in the former sense, however, you could consider a household in which the father is very overbearing and controlling to be a microcosm for a kingdom under the rule of a dictator, should you choose to approach the narrative as such. A microcosm really just needs to convey a general idea that could apply to something on a larger scale.

Again, this isn't the reasoning behind the game, but I wanted to clarify.

Rodger
03-16-2007, 12:05 PM
way to go Patrick!!! Awesome article, there are a few games in there that I think I may have to go buy! Wow, it must have taken you awhile to come up with such a great piece, again my congrats to you.

As for the urusei yatsura and probably yumimi debate of being fmv, hmm. I've seen video of the Urusei game in action over at www.segagagadomain.com in the wonderful Retrocore section (I think the first episode), and it's one of the seemingly endless type of point and click anime adventure games. Having quite a few of these games on my import saturn, I would hesitate to call them FMV per say, however since the genre seems somewhat limited on the sega cd, I don't think it's wrong to bunch them in with all of the other fmv games.

That's just a small quibble though, and ultimately I think you did a great job. Congrats!!:D

Melf
03-16-2007, 03:12 PM
There was never a Prince Make-My-Video developed. The Prince Sega CD title was simply a collection of videos on disc which could be played like a VHS tape but offered no editing options. At least that's what was mentioned in the brief EGM article that covered the title.
Yep, you're right. The Virtual VCR. The ones that never made were for REM and the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

kevinski]'ve never played any of the FMV games on Sega CD, but I wanted to point something out regarding a comment made in the description for Microcosm. A microcosm is a miniaturized representation of something. Furthermore, a microcosm can simply be a miniature version of of something. This game is obviously leaning more towards the latter.
Very true, not sure how I missed that. I've tweaked the entry to reflect the correct context.

How is Racing Aces an FMV game?

I've never played that one but upon closer inspection, it definitely isn't an FMV game. It's been removed from the article. The others are still open to debate, I think (never played those either, myself).

If there are any games missing, please let us know!

j_factor
03-17-2007, 02:06 AM
Good article overall, but how is Jurassic Park an FMV game? It's just an ordinary point-and-click adventure, no more FMV than Myst or Monkey Island.

108 Stars
03-17-2007, 06:35 AM
Although mentioned as highlight of FMV-games, Road Avenger is still a very bad game.

Mendicant
03-17-2007, 07:32 AM
If you can somehow read your opponents and figure out when to correctly utilize each fighting technique, you might be able to play this game.That, or you can set the difficulty to "easy". An icon will show up whenever you need to press a button, telling you which button to press. Atleast on the 32X version. (The normal difficulty level shows icons as well, but gives you a lot less time to press the buttons.)

I would be interested in knowing when Star Wars games will stop sucking and will once again be good.When they start re-releasing classic compilations...? :D

point to Silpheed to quench your thirst for hybrid games of this type, and since that game doesn't use FMV (but glorious flat-shaded polygons!)Like Joe said, Silpheed streams FMV of glorious flat-shaded ploygons. :D Because the game is showing a background consisting of pre-rendered glorious flat-shaded polygons on par with all the polygons it's actually generating in real-time, most people (my self included) assumed that the entire level is actually being rendered in real-time.

I always thought Virtual VCR tried to be more of a poor-man's-Laserdisc; and it's advent was sealed by the advent of VCDs & the PCs (and VCD players) capable of playing them.

Henry Spencer
03-17-2007, 12:47 PM
Ummmmm, you missed out Snatcher (the only game aside from Sonic CD that I love)... :-/

Chris Marsh
03-17-2007, 03:26 PM
Go to the digital comics article for that game. They're two different game genres. I actually like FMV games, but I agree that they seriously lack replay value. At least they are simple and easy to get into.

redrum666
03-17-2007, 03:28 PM
Bug Blasters has 6 diffrent covers not 4 Green Fly, Brown Tick, Black Spider, Purple Locust, Blue Mosquito, and the 1st release cover that is out of print

redrum666
03-17-2007, 03:35 PM
allso what about Lethal Enforcers 1 or 2 why are they not on the list

Zebbe
03-17-2007, 04:31 PM
Totally awesome feature. Now I feel even more encouraged to buy Road Avenger and Night Trap (for the 32X). This quote gave me the laugh of the day:

This barely qualifies as a game even by FMV standards.
:D

By the way, Patrick Wainwright, you should do an interview with some Good Deal Games guy. They should have some interesting stuff to tell.

Arjak
03-17-2007, 06:43 PM
There is one other game that I immediately noticed was missing. Citizen X, also released by Good Deal Games.

redrum666
03-17-2007, 06:50 PM
There is one other game that I immediately noticed was missing. Citizen X, also released by Good Deal Games.

Citizen X is not a FMV game it is a 2D side scroller

Arjak
03-17-2007, 06:54 PM
Oh, never mind. Perhaps I shouldn't judge a game by its screenshots, eh?

redrum666
03-17-2007, 06:57 PM
Oh, never mind. Perhaps I shouldn't judge a game by its screenshots, eh?

its has a video intro, cut sceens and ending but the main game is a 2D side scroller

ary incorparated
03-17-2007, 07:16 PM
ive never played it i should check out more of these games.

wayne919
03-17-2007, 09:45 PM
By the way, Patrick Wainwright, you should do an interview with some Good Deal Games guy. They should have some interesting stuff to tell.

Yeh it would be interesting but im not good at that whole interviewing thing. someone should definitely do it though.

Mendicant
03-18-2007, 02:29 AM
Chris Marsh's icon kinda' reminded me of something.

Would Mega Race be considered an FMV game? If memory serves, it's basically running an FMV background with a layer of interactive elements (a.k.a. cars) above it, sort of like Rebel Assault.

Joe Redifer
03-18-2007, 06:38 AM
I would consider Mega Race an FMV game. Just like Sewer Shark is an FMV game.

kinkyfriend85
03-19-2007, 04:17 PM
Since the FMV version of The Lawnmower game was included, has any of you tried the Cart version? Pretty weird game, although not the worst I've tried...

McTom
03-24-2007, 09:54 AM
yeah, I checked the cartridge version of LawnlowerMan, but I didn't think it was any good... anyhow, great article. Only game I'm missing is "Panic!" - which, I guess, can be considered a FMV game too.

Joe Redifer
03-24-2007, 06:57 PM
Panic is NOT an FMV game.

David J.
03-25-2007, 12:07 AM
OK, I see "The Animals" listed, if it really isn't a game, by that token why isn't Compton's Interactive Encyclopedia listed? I see it mentioned where The Animals is, but come on, it's not a game either.

Melf
03-25-2007, 01:15 AM
As with every article of this nature, we're bound to miss a few. Over the next week or so, we'll probably be adding in a few and removing some others (depending on Patrick's decision).

I wrote the Shmups Extravaganza almost two years ago, and I'm still adding to that one!

McTom
03-25-2007, 04:48 AM
Panic is NOT an FMV game.

why not?

CRV
03-25-2007, 05:16 AM
why not?

Because it lacks FMV.

McTom
03-25-2007, 06:57 AM
then how would you call it?

Joe Redifer
03-25-2007, 01:54 PM
Panic can't really be classified as anything other than a bizarre point and click game.

wayne919
03-26-2007, 01:10 AM
I received an interesting reader email about the future of FMV games and wanted to share it.

Interesting thing is, FMV games seem to be making some sort of a revival on DVD.
Don't have a whole lot of examples at the moment, but MegaRace on Spykids 3D: Game
Over sounds just like a racing FMV game. Never played it myself, but was reading an
article in the iDMAa Journal (Spring 2005) that mentions this game:

"The advance between the relatively simple games discussed earlier [choosing a
response to a question or highlighting an object and selecting it to advance the
game - or end it by making the wrong choice] and MegaRace is the result of a much
more fluid use of pre-rendered video clips. In MegaRace, the clips have been
designed to fit together around segments actually taken from the film in such a way
that the movement on the racetrack appraoches the visual look of real-time
rendering. However, the racetrack never varies; the obstacles and accidents remain
the same each time the game is played. After a few tries, it becomes relatively
easy to win the race repeatedly."

(John Reid Perkins-Buzo, "Poised to play: The Evolution of Games on DVD Releases,"
iDMAa Journal, Vol. 2, No. 2 (Spring 2005), pg 31)

Elf also has some FMV games that use the same concept, only it appears that some of
them like "The Race Down Mt. Icing" randomize the pre-rendered video clips
representing the obstacles.

Unfortunately, the author of this paper doesn't bother to reference FMV games, which
were doing the exact same thing DVD games were, only with much more limited
technology. The better processing power of the DVD, its greater storage capacity,
and the concept of randomizing video elements means that you can actually begin to
approach something resembling respectable gameplay.

However, DVD games will probably continue to be limited by the same limitations of
FMV games: gameplay consists primarily of pressing the correct button during a video
sequence. The shorter the clips and the more variety and randomness, the more this
can appear to be simply a pre-rendered game. But as the Model 1 arcade board
demonstrated, and as advancements in videogame graphics technology continue to
demonstrate, the video and pre-rendered sequences will continually be outdated
unless they stick with a strong aesthetic style rather than an ideal 'realistic'
style.

Mendicant
03-27-2007, 04:28 AM
MegaRace IS an FMV racing game. The horrifying thing is... there just might be an epidemic of cheap FMV games, waiting to hitch a ride on the coat-tails of DVD movies.