PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Streets of Rage 2

JoeyJoe03
09-10-2013, 09:24 PM
I need to re-add this to my collection and hope someone has one somewhere that needs a good home.

I'm guessing most people who have this game are thinking "why would I even dream of offloading a SOR2 game?" and why don't you go look on freaking eBay

Well, the problem is that I have looked over eBay for a very long time and just about all the games look like they have been run over multiple times...dented plastics, destroyed labels, etc.

So I figured it couldn't hurt to ask here. My cart was damaged due to an unfortunate accident and I am trying to replace it (just the cartridge) with one that hasn't been kicked around and doesn't have a torn, worn, dimpled, stickered, drawn on, drooled on...you name it...label. Oh, and not one of those "not for resale" deals...

I didn't think it would be this hard to find a nice copy of one.

"You thought wrong dude..." -Buford "Mad Dog" Tannen

Lync
09-10-2013, 10:05 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171121904535?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Hit me with any questions - also, If you promise to give it a nice home I'll entertain an offer.

JoeyJoe03
09-10-2013, 11:51 PM
I think I saw your listing at one point. A nice copy...I only resisted it because it was complete. Strange I know, but only my cartridge was damaged and I didn't want to waste a perfectly good case, manual and cover art. And it looks like it has a poster! I had those all over my room back in the day. Somehow I don't think my wife will go for them...whatever!

I'll give it more consideration...

Lync
09-11-2013, 12:15 AM
I think I saw your listing at one point. A nice copy...I only resisted it because it was complete. Strange I know, but only my cartridge was damaged and I didn't want to waste a perfectly good case, manual and cover art. And it looks like it has a poster! I had those all over my room back in the day. Somehow I don't think my wife will go for them...whatever!

I'll give it more consideration...

I've found the nicer cartridges of Streets of Rage 2 were the later copies manufactured in the United States; it perhaps seems unnoticeable, but I've encountered some subtle visual differences.

The first Japanese manufactured carts have weaker label detail (especially considering the years of wear) as the grid line theme which Sega was using at the time isn't as prominent and fades against the black label making marks / scratches sometimes more apparent. You can typically recognize these by the bar code, 670-2483, on the bottom of the label in case you can't read the back of the cart's assembly stamp.

The U.S. cart has the code removed and looks to have been printed more vividly with bolder white grid lines and stronger use of color. Of course this cannot always be the case for every copy but generally speaking.

The copy I'm selling is the Japanese make, and telling by how you are avoiding the "Not for Resale" litter which I'm not a fan of either, detail is important to you so try an eye the U.S. copies. Hope this helps a bit.

JoeyJoe03
09-11-2013, 01:28 AM
Interesting to note...the copy I had did not have a code number underneath the "Sega Genesis" logo on the cart. And it was purchased very early in it's release. I'm guessing that the US made labels that you speak of have the code number on the label underneath the logo?

And seriously, what's with the smaller image on the cart with the black grids on either side? I loved the image on the cover and thought that should have been better represented on the cart. Perhaps not that important...it is a kick ass game but the cart label sucked. Too bad it's too hard to find people who can do custom replacement labels.

The other odd thing I never could stand about my old cart was that it rattled very badly, like the plastic casing wasn't screwed together tightly enough. I always thought it would fall apart, but it met its doom in another fashion.

Lync
09-11-2013, 01:54 AM
At first I wasn't too impressed with the cover art and it being thumb-nailed on the cartridge but it has slowly grown on me; Like many other American reiterations, it seems a little bit too cartoony and took little inspiration from the aesthetics of the game itself. I do like how the street art wraps around the case and as you've already mentioned, I'm too busy playing the game to give the label much of any thought. I personally don't care for the Bare Knuckle series art either though - always wanted something more anime-styled like the soundtrack:

Manuals for me are what is troublesome, especially Streets of Rage 2; Did kids of the 90's really need to thrash through these manuals to know how to rage in the streets?! They are always a tattered mess! In all seriousness, with the exception of Sonic & Knuckles, finding a near mint copy of the manual is truly a dedicated effort. However, I'm just that picky.

Lastly, do yourself a favor and order the 4.5MM security bit and tighten them carts, they'll appreciate you more for it.

JoeyJoe03
09-11-2013, 07:17 PM
Well, I certainly was not a manual reader and generally never looked at them. You were kind of considered a dork if you had to look at one as most of these games are pretty simple to figure out. MAYBE just to see what the button control was but that was it. And yes, like you I am rather particular about how to handle my games. My friends are rather amazed at how nice my 22 year old games are compared to theirs!

I did manage to find a nice copy of SOR2, and a big thanks for your explanation about US vs Japanese carts. I was not aware of that and always hated that these two carts, for some reason, seemed so cheap and poorly made. Both my Sonic 2 and SOR2 carts were the US versions...and very BAD rattlers. So I made sure that the new carts I purchased were very clearly Japanese made!