PDA

View Full Version : Genesis Virtual Console: Month 3

Melf
03-23-2007, 01:35 AM
The Wii may still be scarce in stores, but there's plenty of Genesis goodness available for download on the Virtual Console. Sega-16 staff writer Tom Briggs takes a look at the latest releases for Nintendo's fledgling service, and gives you the low down on what you should be playing. Is there anything worth downloading? Read the full article (http://www.sega-16.com/2007/03/genesis-virtual-console-vol-03/) and find out.

Joe Redifer
03-23-2007, 02:38 AM
I certainly don't agree with what Tom Briggs has to say. First of all I've never ever heard anyone use any positive words to describe the music and/or sound in Beyond Oasis. The music consists of Yuzo hitting random keys on the keyboard while drunk and blindfolded (seriously) and the instruments used to create the music have about as much quality as a barrel of 3 week old cat piss. The same goes for the sound. There are a few decent sounds, but most of them are really scratchy. For instance listen to the Sega logo when you first turn the game on. Now go get Band-Aids for your bleeding ears.

And a pass on Streets of Rage 1? It's much better on the eyes and ears than SoR3. It may not have as many moves or whatever, but I definitely consider it more fun, though SoR2 is my fav.

And a "purchase" on Sonic Spinball? Dude. The game is so choppy and ugly. Plus it sucks to play. I'd rather pick up one of my own turds fresh from the toilet and play with that as it reminds me of playing Sonic Spinball, just more fun.

Melf
03-23-2007, 03:52 AM
Gee Joe, I'm beginning to think you don't agree with Tom's picks. :p

Zebbe
03-23-2007, 07:05 AM
It is probably better to get the 6-Pak for Sega Genesis if you want Streets of Rage. I also think the music of Beyond Oasis sucks and Sonic Spinball's soundtrack has no Sonic vibe at all - plus it sounds awful.

But, as they say, opinions are like asses - divided. Nice read anyway.

108 Stars
03-23-2007, 07:38 AM
@Zebbe
I thought it goes like this:
"It´s the same with opinions as with assholes; everybody´s got one!"

Hmh...
but I cannot agree with Joe. Streets of Rage may be more fun (not sure), but it definetely looks very aged compared to both part 2 and 3.
Sonic Spinball is one of the best pinball games on MD, second only to Devilish.
As for the sound of Beyond Oasis...well, I don´t remember it at all. So I guess it isn´t very remarkable. Then again, there are very few MD-soundtracks I find worth remembering.

Zebbe
03-23-2007, 08:15 AM
108 Stars: Hmm yeah... You're right. I went with the Swedish version translated this time, my brain was busy resting.

Joe Redifer
03-23-2007, 11:12 AM
Gee Joe, I'm beginning to think you don't agree with Tom's picks.
That might be why I said "I certainly don't agree with what Tom Briggs has to say" in my first post. :)

I cannot agree with Joe.
How dare you.

Streets of Rage may be more fun (not sure), but it definetely looks very aged compared to both part 2 and 3.
I would accept your argument if you had said "Bare Knuckle 3". I just can't stand what they did to SoR3 for NO REASON. Blaze in grey is just... stupid.

Sonic Spinball is one of the best pinball games on MD, second only to Devilish.
And both are trounced by Dragon's Fury. But Devilish is more like a scrolling Breakout.

David J.
03-23-2007, 11:38 AM
Beyond Oasis is a good game, but agreed that it sounds awful. Legend of Oasis is a much better game overall. Sonic Spinball isn't THAT bad, but come on there ARE better pinball games on the Genesis.

Gain Ground is a pretty neat game, but something is off about the Genesis version, and I can't quite put my finger on it. I know it was made by Sega, but the Genesis version doesn't feel like a Sega game, maybe that's it? Streets of Rage 1 is pretty decent, but pales in comparsion to SOR2... The only thing I liked about Streets of Rage 3 was the combo system was much better.

Bio Hazzard Battle is fun... but there are better shooters on the Genesis for sure. Sword of Vermilion, what the hell where you thinking Sega?! Again, there are much better games to choose from, no?

Joe Redifer
03-23-2007, 12:07 PM
Vermilion is worth it just for the sound test (great music). It was made by the makers of Daytona and Virtua Fighter and Shenmue and Space Harrier and lots of other stuff.

InternalPrimate
03-23-2007, 02:08 PM
I'll be completely honest... I love the music in Beyond Oasis. Call me crazy, but I do :) I found the game to be the complete package.

As for Sonic Spinball, I admit that I'm biased. I spent FAR too much time with anything labeled "Sonic" back in the day, and a lot the good feelings remain with me today. I think it was an interesting take on the Pinball genre, but I wouldn't be shocked if 90% of the gaming world disagreed with me.

As for Streets of Rage 1 - I think everyone should own a copy. As an $8 download meant for gamers who may have missed out on the Genesis I think it's probably not the best choice. 2 and 3 are, in my opinion, better. Why not wait? If you're into the series enough, you already own the actual carts anyway.

Rusty Venture
03-23-2007, 04:44 PM
I'll admit SOR 1 is kinda...ok *REALLY* stiff compared to smoothness of 2+3 (especially BK3)....

but i'd still take it over Final Fight.

Sonic Spinball never impressed me. If I want to play Sonic i'll play a Sonic game, if i wanna play pinball i've got both "Dragons Fury" & "Dragons Revenge". Both of which are much more fun than Spinball.

GeckoYamori
03-23-2007, 05:18 PM
I liked the music in Beyond Oasis/Story of Thor. It has a lot of well-thought out dynamics which gives it a genuine cinematic feel not many VG composers had accomplished at the time.

ary incorparated
03-25-2007, 08:07 AM
I liked the music in Beyond Oasis/Story of Thor. It has a lot of well-thought out dynamics which gives it a genuine cinematic feel not many VG composers had accomplished at the time.

I defnitly agree i liked the music too how many times do you hear orchest kind of music and Joe maybe you where drunk when listening and probably hate scratchyness,dude its a 89 console and the same you sead about ristar its sound which i really enjoy as one of the most,if you can do better then yuzo then let me hear it.and my opinion about these games is

sor 1 great game,if you dont have a genesis defnitly download it,i 100 percent disagree with this features review.

beyond oasis,defnitly a must purchase.

biohazzard battel,forget it there are idd better downloadable game.

sonic spinball,forget it crap game.

do you really have a healty mind when thinking sor 1 owns sor 3,not in any way altought it stays sore that sor 3 has many lacks but bare knuckle does eat final fight in any way man the music ;).

ary incorparated
03-25-2007, 08:10 AM
sword of vermilion man did i hate that game,i dont know about a sound options.