PDA

View Full Version : SEGA Saturn reprint discussion

Ninsega
01-02-2014, 08:20 PM
http://segasaturngroup.proboards.com/thread/7118/reprinting-saturn-games?page=1

Let's kickstart this shit.

synbiosfan
01-02-2014, 08:39 PM
Your thread title sucks and should be changed to reflect the topic rather than take a shot at Trekkie.

EDIT: Thank you to whoever changed the title!

Ninsega
01-02-2014, 08:41 PM
Well, crap, it turns out that the thread he made there was a response to a thread that I originally made here. Ultra fail.

And I edited the title just now, but it doesn't seem to reflect the change on the outside.

KitsuneNight
01-03-2014, 12:39 AM
you cant change the title of a thread you need to ask a mod to do that

and trekkies never came across to me as a "douche" bit of a cheap shot that
regardless id be all for sega saturn reprints but i doubt it will ever happen

the best we can hope for are compilations when adn if sega is ever done milking their 16 bit library

hell an arcade line up or a 32 X compilation would be fine too
sega has a huge library its time they actuall explore that

EclecticGroove
01-03-2014, 01:39 AM
Personally, if I was going to go after something that would require money (and a kickstarted fund) that likely would never happen. I'd rather aim for something like an all in one Sega console like the retro systems, only done right.

Imagine a console that could do multi region Master system, MD/Genesis, Sega/Mega CD, 32x, game gear, Saturn, and maybe even Dreamcast games. Could use any original disk, plus load from rom/iso's (probably unofficially) and special release compilation disks. Included "oldschool" RF + RGB Scart and/or Component out and built in HDMI for those who want to use it on new displays. They could even give it a headphone jack + slider for a nice throwback flair.

Support for all peripherals from the supported system as well as the inevitable generic "all in ones" it would pack with (probably wireless).

Basically a Sega Specific retron where the time/effort was actually done to make it look and sound as good as possible with some great features.

superandroidtron
01-03-2014, 01:43 AM
Personally, if I was going to go after something that would require money (and a kickstarted fund) that likely would never happen. I'd rather aim for something like an all in one Sega console like the retro systems, only done right.

Same. I'd spring for that in a heartbeat.

FuturePrimitive
01-03-2014, 01:56 AM
Imagine a console that could do multi region Master system, MD/Genesis, Sega/Mega CD, 32x, game gear, Saturn, and maybe even Dreamcast games. Could use any original disk, plus load from rom/iso's (probably unofficially) and special release compilation disks. Included "oldschool" RF + RGB Scart and/or Component out and built in HDMI for those who want to use it on new displays. They could even give it a headphone jack + slider for a nice throwback flair.

This is breaking my brain right now. No RF though, Composite minimum. Everything else is ideal!

EclecticGroove
01-03-2014, 09:27 AM
Easy enough to have a combo component/composite set on the back. I included RF for those who want to play it super old school style on older TV's.

Of course, it's all a pipe dream anyways. I doubt there's enough people with all the required know how to build that who have enough interest to actually be involved unless it was some SERIOUS $$$ being thrown their way.

Gogogadget
01-03-2014, 09:32 AM
Being that this has nothing to do with Trekkies...

I'm all for this, because I want to play Panzer Dragoon Saga, and to suck it to all those moron scalpers who think video games are fine art or some shit with a value of 100+, quite a few of my old Saturn games don't even boot anymore.

bultje112
01-03-2014, 09:37 AM
I rather have re-print of games

TrekkiesUnite118
01-03-2014, 11:22 AM

Support for all peripherals from the supported system as well as the inevitable generic "all in ones" it would pack with (probably wireless).

Basically a Sega Specific retron where the time/effort was actually done to make it look and sound as good as possible with some great features.

If companies can barely clone the Genesis and have it work properly, what makes you think they can clone something as crazy as the Saturn?

Ninsega
01-03-2014, 11:23 AM
Somebody with the right connections needs to make this happen. I know there is someone out there with the machines in their warehouse/garage just sitting there doing nothing. We need to hunt these people down.

EclecticGroove
01-03-2014, 11:26 AM
If companies can barely clone the Genesis and have it work properly, what makes you think they can clone something as crazy as the Saturn?

It's not a matter of can or can't for those... it's that it's not cost effective enough for them to care. The Sega support on most things tends to be an afterthought or using the cheapest and most easily available option.

So long as it boasts playability and compatibility for a large number/most of the games... they pretty much don't care about anything else. They would need to have a love for the systems, or a financial incentive to make them better than they are... and really they don't have either.

Ninsega
01-03-2014, 11:35 AM
So how about people/companies with the talent of porting games from one platform to another approach SEGA/Konami/etc. so that these "rare" games see re-releases on PSN/XBLA/Steam/VC/etc.?

Isn't there a complete port of Panzer Dragoon Saga from GameTap to PC somewhere out there?

Da_Shocker
01-03-2014, 12:19 PM
I think Trekkies idea was great I am a collector but Sega issued stuff is crap anyways. Selling PDS in a jewel case or a DVD case with a WD stlye menu would be awesome. Id love to english translated 3rd party games too. But I think the idea wouldn't work unless someone won the lottery. Unless someone is willing to offer Sega like 1 million dollars I don't think they would actually bother with this.

Lastcallhall
01-03-2014, 12:24 PM
An all in one device would likely be cost prohibitive to produce and sell, but if someone (or a group of someones) actually took the time to study the layouts of Sega's various systems, and came up with an improved design for each one, those systems might have a chance of getting over in the retro market. The biggest problem comes from knowing how to market the same product to the general public in such a way that they see they are getting a quality system over an ATGames clone for (lets say) half the cost at Sam's Club or Costco.

TrekkiesUnite118
01-03-2014, 12:26 PM
Well, who has connections at Sega? That would probably be the best place to start. I mean we could just send an email to their customer support email but you would most likely just get a generic "We do not support a system called Sega Saturn at this time" response. I mean we'd need to be organized about this as well.

I know Vic Ireland posts on Neo Gaf from time to time, and seeing as how he's still in the publishing business he might not be a bad person to reach out to just for information on the subject. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Da_Shocker
01-03-2014, 12:55 PM
Trekkies how many copies would be printed and what is your target price point? Also I noticed you wondered if Sega still had the masters but I know somebody posted on here Sega doesn't have some vault of old games. They just get rid of shit.

*edit* I am not the biggest Vic Ireland fan but he would def know if this would be feasible or not.

TrekkiesUnite118
01-03-2014, 01:08 PM
Trekkies how many copies would be printed and what is your target price point?

I don't know, hence why we would need to ask around to get some figures.

Also I noticed you wondered if Sega still had the masters but I know somebody posted on here Sega doesn't have some vault of old games. They just get rid of shit.

http://blogs.sega.com/2008/08/07/the-sega-game-archive/

Da_Shocker
01-03-2014, 01:15 PM
I don't know, hence why we would need to ask around to get some figures.

http://blogs.sega.com/2008/08/07/the-sega-game-archive/

Well those aren't masters though.

TrekkiesUnite118
01-03-2014, 01:22 PM
Well those aren't masters though.

It's still something. And you can see tons of discs just sitting around in a lot of the shots and in the drawer shots that are probably beta builds, so there could also be some masters laying around in there that aren't shown. Not to mention the fact they kept all of that might mean they've kept the masters as well somewhere.

But again, that's why one of the questions to ask is "Do the masters still exist?".

Da_Shocker
01-03-2014, 01:26 PM
It's still something. And you can see tons of discs just sitting around in a lot of the shots and in the drawer shots that are probably beta builds, so there could also be some masters laying around in there that aren't shown. Not to mention the fact they kept all of that might mean they've kept the masters as well somewhere.

But again, that's why one of the questions to ask is "Do the masters still exist?".

Well anyways Vic Ireland would know more than we would though.

zetastrike
01-03-2014, 01:45 PM
What does it take to reprint the data on a disk? Is it more complicated than just having a copy of the game on hand? There's also the copy protection ring to worry about. Even if we perform a miracle and they reprint some games, they'll probably make so few that scalpers will get a hold of them and sell them for a fortune. We don't really know how much demand there is for this kind of thing. Sega probably wouldn't see several dozen people on forums as a viable market.

EclecticGroove
01-03-2014, 03:46 PM
I think the biggest issue with looking at reprints is that the market is tiny. They will only work for people who have the hardware and who want to buy it. That's... what, maybe a few thousand people worldwide? It's not like a new game that nobody has that might interest someone... it's a reprint of an existing game on the old console.

For those people who desperately want to play a game like Panzer Dragoon Saga, but haven't gone out to just get the ISO and play it that way it might sell some... but what is the price per game going to be? And will it include the full manual and box? If not, what will it include? All of that stuff drives up the price quite a bit.

And if all it's going to be is a nice disk... you could go get a few of those burned + mod a saturn for a hell of a lot less (and quicker).

It's not a "bad" idea, I just don't think there's anywhere near the interest needed to make it take off. The all in one system I was talking about would certainly cost more, but like the retrons and other clones, it opens itself to any market that wants to buy it. A reprint for the Saturn is a long closed market that you are only targeting a subset of.

KitsuneNight
01-03-2014, 04:36 PM
Trekkies how many copies would be printed and what is your target price point? Also I noticed you wondered if Sega still had the masters but I know somebody posted on here Sega doesn't have some vault of old games. They just get rid of shit.

*edit* I am not the biggest Vic Ireland fan but he would def know if this would be feasible or not.

for some reason this reminds me of the BBC
who in the 60's and 70's either wiped master tapes and reused them or just threw them away
and it came back to bite them on the ass ( see missing episodes of doctor who and other series )

and if sega does actually for some vauge reason delete their masters ( why ?! why would they do that ?! )
it coudl come back to haunt them too ...or us the gamers more likley

Gogogadget
01-03-2014, 04:38 PM
for some reason this reminds me of the BBC
who in the 60's and 70's either wiped master tapes and reused them or just threw them away
and it came back to bite them on the ass ( see missing episodes of doctor who and other series )

and if sega does actually for some vauge reason delete their masters ( why ?! why would they do that ?! )
it coudl come back to haunt them too ...or us the gamers more likley

Source codes for old games get lost all the time, we aren't talking just a reel of tape or film you can store in a warehouse, Guerrilla had problems finding the assets for the first Killzone game and that was released just under 10 years ago.

KitsuneNight
01-03-2014, 04:44 PM
you'd think they'd store it on something back it up on something
a master cd rom or dvd rom or anything

apparantly this is not the case

video game companies should start to carefully reconsider their older assets and how to treat them and keeping them alive via outlets like gog

TrekkiesUnite118
01-04-2014, 12:58 AM
I think the biggest issue with looking at reprints is that the market is tiny. They will only work for people who have the hardware and who want to buy it. That's... what, maybe a few thousand people worldwide? It's not like a new game that nobody has that might interest someone... it's a reprint of an existing game on the old console.

For those people who desperately want to play a game like Panzer Dragoon Saga, but haven't gone out to just get the ISO and play it that way it might sell some... but what is the price per game going to be? And will it include the full manual and box? If not, what will it include? All of that stuff drives up the price quite a bit.

And if all it's going to be is a nice disk... you could go get a few of those burned + mod a saturn for a hell of a lot less (and quicker).

It's not a "bad" idea, I just don't think there's anywhere near the interest needed to make it take off. The all in one system I was talking about would certainly cost more, but like the retrons and other clones, it opens itself to any market that wants to buy it. A reprint for the Saturn is a long closed market that you are only targeting a subset of.

These wouldn't be massive print runs. Hence why one question would be what's the smallest print run possible. I'd say a run of 1000 would be a realistic amount to test with, maybe even smaller. The idea would be that the amount made would be determined by the amount raised through a kickstarter. Price would probably be determined on the print run and quality of the printing. I'm not an expert here, I can't answer such specific questions as I don't have the answers. I only have what I think would be ideal. This is why we would need to get in contact with someone and get some answers. Ideally I'd say the original market prices would be acceptable for some of these games.

And when I say reprint I mean exactly that, as though it's just another print run of what was released years ago. So discs, manuals, and cases that look as close to the originals as possible. This isn't unheard of, Sega reprinted REZ for the PS2 a while back and Capcom reprinted some of their Gamecube games not too long ago. And Square Enix even reprinted some of their PS1 and PS2 games not too long ago which you can still buy on their site and in some retro stores..

Basically this isn't something I, or anyone here for that matter, know the answer to. Which is why we need to do research.

Da_Shocker
01-04-2014, 01:00 AM
SoA had to DL roms for the Sega Smashpack.

TrekkiesUnite118
01-04-2014, 01:07 AM
SoA had to DL roms for the Sega Smashpack.

That may have just been out of laziness. The Saturn collections that are only a year or so older have legitimate Roms or completely reworked versions. Not to mention M2 recently mentioned that they had access to Sonic Jam's source code which they attempted to use to add the spin dash into Sonic for the 3DS. That's not to say all source code is available, but probably a decent amount is. To my knowledge the following games are known to be missing their source code within Sega:

Daytona USA (Arcade)
Virtua Fighter 2 (Arcade)
House of the Dead (Arcade)
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Magic Knight Rayearth

There's probably more, but that's what I know of.

IrishNinja
01-04-2014, 01:30 AM
Being that this has nothing to do with Trekkies...

I'm all for this, because I want to play Panzer Dragoon Saga, and to suck it to all those moron scalpers who think video games are fine art or some shit with a value of 100+, quite a few of my old Saturn games don't even boot anymore.

i am with this guy, i really don't care about collector communities or treating classic gaming like a mini-stock market. i get that unlike other scenes saturn over here did have a low print run, but seeing PDS creep up on $300, Albert/SF III at like $150 and worse for Rayearth...fuck that. I'm not here to make resellers rich, I'm here to play those games! and it'd be great to have an option beyond CD-R's and whatever i find on the cover project for packaging.

chessage
01-04-2014, 05:45 AM
Basically this isn't something I, or anyone here for that matter, know the answer to. Which is why we need to do research.

Here's a good reference (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warner_Archive_Collection).

Ninsega
01-06-2014, 11:18 PM
Here's a good reference (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warner_Archive_Collection).

Jesus, SEGA needs to jump on this, NOW.

Also, how difficult is it to convert the final product of a disc's data (the .iso file, I guess?) back into the code that originally created it? Is that what GameTap did for Panzer Dragoon Saga?

KitsuneNight
01-07-2014, 02:25 AM
^ a game is something different then video or audio though
those all work on what is basically the same hardware

video games tend to work on their own format and their own format only

most of the "retro collections" you see publishers shilling tend to be roms wrapped in an emulator
and the saturn is a bugger to emulate right

bultje112
01-07-2014, 06:49 AM

Also, how difficult is it to convert the final product of a disc's data (the .iso file, I guess?) back into the code that originally created it? Is that what GameTap did for Panzer Dragoon Saga?

that's movies. that can't be done with games

Genesis Knight
01-07-2014, 09:36 AM
No one in this thread honestly expects this to have a snowball's chance in hell of happening, right? Not being cynical, just realistic. Sometimes I can't tell if these discussions are just for fun or that disconnected from reality, haha.

TrekkiesUnite118
01-07-2014, 10:14 AM

You can't really take compiled code and turn it back into the original source code. Well, you can decompile it, but what you get won't be nearly as nice as it was before you compiled it. All comments will be gone, and it wont be easy to read or figure out. Basically you'd get some decompiled Saturn Assembly code, which isn't something I would want to start digging through.

that's movies. that can't be done with games

Decompiling can be done, but as I said above it's rarely worth it as you wouldn't get something nice to work with. Though what the Warner Archive did would definitely be doable for Video games. All you need is the final compiled version which they most likely do still have. All that would need to be done is to use that master and print more discs.

This has been done before for other games. Sega reprinted REZ for the PS2 back around 2006. Capcom reprinted RE2 and RE3 for the Gamecube back around the same time. Capcom also reprinted Gotcha Force for the Gamecube in 2012. Square Enix reprinted a lot of their PS1 and PS2 RPGs not too long ago as well. So it's not something unheard of.

Da_Shocker
01-07-2014, 11:34 AM
You can't really take compiled code and turn it back into the original source code. Well, you can decompile it, but what you get won't be nearly as nice as it was before you compiled it. All comments will be gone, and it wont be easy to read or figure out. Basically you'd get some decompiled Saturn Assembly code, which isn't something I would want to start digging through.

Decompiling can be done, but as I said above it's rarely worth it as you wouldn't get something nice to work with. Though what the Warner Archive did would definitely be doable for Video games. All you need is the final compiled version which they most likely do still have. All that would need to be done is to use that master and print more discs.

This has been done before for other games. Sega reprinted REZ for the PS2 back around 2006. Capcom reprinted RE2 and RE3 for the Gamecube back around the same time. Capcom also reprinted Gotcha Force for the Gamecube in 2012. Square Enix reprinted a lot of their PS1 and PS2 RPGs not too long ago as well. So it's not something unheard of.

The PS2 was still alive when it was reprinted and the GCN was still alive in 06 now that shit in 2012 i'm curious about. As well as that Squeenix stuff.

EclecticGroove
01-07-2014, 12:06 PM
One of the bigger issues with games, more so than just recompiling everything... is that if you are going to re-make it for another platform, it's MUCH better to have access to the source code and base assets. Not all of those are easy to pull out from the finished product.

You could take something like the raw movie files used to render the PDS movies (as an example), clean them up in the modeller of your choice, then re-render them for use on a modern device. Or hell, use all that they know about the saturn now and re-render them to be played even better there.

Taking the disks and just making a raw ISO is all fine and dandy, but it's not going to be profitable enough for any company to care about, especially since they would have to dig up the security ring stuff for custom disks... otherwise their custom reprints would have an even smaller market, as you can't just pop in a burned disk to a saturn and play it without anything else done.

Movies, and music are easy... they will work on virtually and DVD or BRD player... Games? Not the case.

PC games that aren't too old can be pressed without a problem, but console games and PC games tied to specific older hardware are completely non viable for any company to care about... their entire market is a fraction of a fraction of a depreciated market. Even something with a huge install base like the PS2 (152 million or so)... how many of that install base have any particular game you want to reprint? Of that fraction, how many would be interested in the reprint at all? Of THAT fraction, how many would actually buy it?

Even for the PS2, I'd estimate that number would only be for a few thousand or so people at most for any given game.

For something like the Saturn? I'd imagine that number is likely going to be a few hundred at best. "collectors" will want the original run. People that just want to play it have probably already gotten an ISO of it.

TrekkiesUnite118
01-07-2014, 12:10 PM
The PS2 was still alive when it was reprinted and the GCN was still alive in 06 now that shit in 2012 i'm curious about. As well as that Squeenix stuff.

Here's the info on the Square Enix PS1 reprints:

http://www.game-rave.com/psx_galleries/gal_silverbottom/index.html

It would seem these started popping up around 2010-2011. People at first thought they were bootlegs but it ended up that Square Enix was selling them on their online site. There's a store near me that ordered a couple cases of them and that's how I ended up getting my new copy of Final Fantasy IX. The tell tale sign that they are reprints is that the discs are Silver bottomed instead of Black. I'm pretty sure they reprinted Kingdom Hearts 1, 2, Re: Chain of Memories, FFX, X-2, and XII as well for the PS2 as those suddenly appeared on their online store a while back and again a store near me suddenly had a ton of new copies of those games.

Here's the info on the Gotcha Force reprint:

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/03/02/gotcha-force-reprint-brings-capcoms-borg-battling-game-back-on-the-market/

Ninsega
01-07-2014, 12:13 PM
For something like the Saturn? I'd imagine that number is likely going to be a few hundred at best. "collectors" will want the original run. People that just want to play it have probably already gotten an ISO of it.

So you feel that the group who want an official release (be it reprint or otherwise) and want to play it doesn't exist?

Care to explain how Songbird Productions (Atari Jaguar publisher) still has a market, then?

EclecticGroove
01-07-2014, 12:45 PM
So you feel that the group who want an official release (be it reprint or otherwise) and want to play it doesn't exist?

Care to explain how Songbird Productions (Atari Jaguar publisher) still has a market, then?

I'm not a Jaguar person (don't own one) but it looks like they release games for it, not reprints of already existing games. So no, I don't think they would have much to sell if the only thing they did was release reprints for games on the Jaguar.

And that's what this discussion is about, not releasing new games on the system, which will not require legal/licensing issues be resolved with the IP owner(s) and/or publishers in addition to any other technical/financial hurdles that exist.

And it's not that I feel there is no market for it, I just don't think there is a market sizable for any company to even remotely give a damn about. If you can find someone that LOVES the system and/or games that has access to this, that is something entirely different, because then it's not a pure cost issue. But if you go to Sega, or anyone capable of doing this really, they are going to basically look at it and say, "what is the benefit for us financially?".

Moirai
01-07-2014, 12:47 PM
They do exist, I'm living proof of that.

Ninsega
01-07-2014, 12:47 PM
I'm not a Jaguar person (don't own one) but it looks like they release games for it, not reprints of already existing games. So no, I don't think they would have much to sell if the only thing they did was release reprints for games on the Jaguar.

And that's what this discussion is about, not releasing new games on the system, which will not require legal/licensing issues be resolved with the IP owner(s) and/or publishers in addition to any other technical/financial hurdles that exist.

And it's not that I feel there is no market for it, I just don't think there is a market sizable for any company to even remotely give a damn about. If you can find someone that LOVES the system and/or games that has access to this, that is something entirely different, because then it's not a pure cost issue. But if you go to Sega, or anyone capable of doing this really, they are going to basically look at it and say, "what is the benefit for us financially?".

Actually, they do reprint games, as well as Telegames.co.uk who reprints games like Towers II and Iron Soldier 2 at will.

EDIT: Obviously they reprint the games that they were originally the publishers for.

Moirai
01-07-2014, 12:50 PM

Sega should create burnable CD-Rs with a Saturn security ring. Then sell their games online, made-to-order. IT WOULD BE GREAT

Ninsega
01-07-2014, 12:52 PM
Sega should create burnable CD-Rs with a Saturn security ring. Then sell their games online, made-to-order. IT WOULD BE GREAT

It would also make people like EclecticGroove mad. I wonder how many people were pissed off by the reprints of those "rare" games by SquareSoft?

EclecticGroove
01-07-2014, 12:59 PM
Actually, they do reprint games, as well as Telegames.co.uk who reprints games like Towers II and Iron Soldier 2 at will.

EDIT: Obviously they reprint the games that they were originally the publishers for.

And that pretty much answers your question right there. They can reprint those games because they published them. That's pretty easy for them to do, and as they still release other games on the system they have the infrastructure to do so.

That's entirely different than looking at any company to do reprints of games on a system they no longer support in any way. That is done for only 3 reasons.
1) A pet project (IE: a passion/love for the system).
2) Marketing/promotional move.
3) Money.

The first one, if you could find someone within Sega, or the publisher of whatever game you wanted re-printed, would be awesome... but not very likely.

The second is only really viable if it ties into something current. IE: If they were making a new Panzer Dragoon Saga, and did a reprint of the Saturn original as a marketing gimmick (likely limited run).

Which leaves the last... which is self explanatory.

That, on the other hand. Would be doable if they could manufacture/source them quick and easy. And It wouldn't even have to be for sale. They could contract out limited Burn runs. IE, you provide the master (digitally or by mail) and they burn it. You could add in GD Roms as well. They provide x number of burned disks to you, and then you can package/distribute them however you want. But would still likely need to have some licensing tie back to Sega.

zyrobs
01-07-2014, 03:13 PM
That, on the other hand. Would be doable if they could manufacture/source them quick and easy. And It wouldn't even have to be for sale. They could contract out limited Burn runs. IE, you provide the master (digitally or by mail) and they burn it. You could add in GD Roms as well. They provide x number of burned disks to you, and then you can package/distribute them however you want. But would still likely need to have some licensing tie back to Sega.

CDRs wouldn't be possible due to how the protection works, and I doubt they'd make any sort of profit by making custom pressed titles.

EclecticGroove
01-07-2014, 03:15 PM
That's why I said they would need to be able to source them super easy. then it wouldn't matter what the other company does with them.. they would just sell them in whatever quantities ordered.

But doubtful they can, so at best it would be leftover stock that they have lying around.

Ninsega
01-07-2014, 03:31 PM
Well, they could do it "on-demand" so that there wouldn't be any stock lying around.

EclecticGroove
01-07-2014, 03:33 PM
Well, they could do it "on-demand" so that there wouldn't be any stock lying around.

They would still need to be able to source the special disks. Hence the difficulty of the whole situation.