PDA

View Full Version : pier solar on the dreamcast

KitsuneNight
01-07-2014, 03:17 AM
anybody going to get the dreamcast version ?
http://www.magicalgamefactory.com/en/factory/pier-solar_1/
im kinda tempted to get it
i missed the megadrive version and its "only" $ 50 to pr eorder till march

and its still a "new" game

o.pwuaioc
01-07-2014, 04:58 AM
You can get the Mega Drive reprint still. That's what I did. I don't care for the jarring look of the sprites on the background of the Dreamcast version, so Genesis all the way for me.

Vector2013
01-07-2014, 05:21 AM
I heard the audio for genesis/sega cd version is out of sync, even with the updated audio sega cd-r. Also this "pier solar hd" is kind of not true right, the dc can't really do hd.

retrospiel
01-07-2014, 06:05 AM
The HD in Pier Solar HD hints at the game running in four times the resolution of the original MD game. And Dreamcast really does 480p via VGA so it kinda is HD, even though it is the lowest HD compatible resolution.

Vector2013
01-07-2014, 06:36 AM
The HD in Pier Solar HD hints at the game running in four times the resolution of the original MD game.

Ok, I knew it was just there in the title as it had sharper graphics, but I didn't know it was 4 x sharper. Hopefully the audio isn't out of sync. I REFUSE to buy Pier Solar MD after what, 5 years of NONE of their expensive packages FIXING the audio problem nor does the not 1, but 2, fan audio "fixed audio sync" cd-r's.

And Dreamcast really does 480p via VGA so it kinda is HD,

When I think HD now, I think 720 or 1080 HDTV with hdmi cables, so my fault, not the old default vga output video quality (how it was supposed to be viewed in 1999) of dc. But HD was used forever, analog HDTV, digital HDTV...

even though it is the lowest HD compatible resolution.

Oh ok. I thought the highest standard tvs were 525 but 480 is lowest of hd (past decade) ? Just brought this up because Adam K said the dc doesn't actually do HD or have HDTV compatibility even with hdmi converter box, whether using vga output or usual cable output.

FuturePrimitive
01-07-2014, 06:41 AM
You can get the Mega Drive reprint still. That's what I did. I don't care for the jarring look of the sprites on the background of the Dreamcast version, so Genesis all the way for me.

When did you receive your Reprint? I still have yet to pre-order Pier Solar. Would like to play it!

retrospiel
01-07-2014, 06:43 AM
Oh ok. I thought the highest standard tvs were 525 but 480 is lowest of hd (past decade) ? Just brought this up because Adam K said the dc doesn't actually do HD or have HDTV compatibility even with hdmi converter box, whether using vga output or usual cable output.

It used to be labeled EDTV. TVs which allowed you to hook up your PC or Laptop via VGA. Some DVDs and some DVD players also supported 480p via component.

SDTVs can only show 240 lines each frame (480i).

And that Adam K guy (don't know who that is) clearly is wrong when he compares VGA with other cables. Dreamcast switches into a different video mode when a VGA box is connected, so it's not the same as just using some converter.

Vector2013
01-07-2014, 07:10 AM
He never compared it to other cables, he just said "the DC does not output TRUE hd" (either vga or cables/com/scart/svid signals to converter box) even says the 1080p isn't TRUE hd. I'm looking for the video where he says the dc doesn't output true hd. http://youtu.be/RS55pmLIEjA?t=2m4s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXvXE-Nqr54 at 4:14

bultje112
01-07-2014, 07:49 AM
I still need to get this for megadrive

retrospiel
01-07-2014, 09:15 AM
He just said "the DC does not output TRUE hd" (either vga or cables/com/scart/svid signals to converter box) even says the 1080p isn't TRUE hd.

Yeah, it isn't 1080p. 480p upscaled to 1080p is still 480p. But 480p isn't SD, it's the lowest resolution HDTVs can work with.

KitsuneNight
01-07-2014, 09:21 AM

i know but i prefer sega's later cd based cosoles ( saturn dreamcast ) more then their cardridge based ones ( mega drive mastersystem ) i am more likley to play the dreamcast version

NeoVamp
01-07-2014, 09:25 AM
Didn't check the site, But I doubt the Dreamcast version will come in one of those European DC cases.

KitsuneNight
01-07-2014, 09:36 AM
i hope not
those shatter if you look at them wrong or sneeze in their general direction

bultje112
01-07-2014, 09:49 AM
dreamcast european cases are most excellent cases. only saturns final generation pal cases are better

Ninsega
01-07-2014, 10:01 AM
Hey guys, did Watermelon try to get Pier Solar officially licensed or something?

NeoVamp
01-07-2014, 10:29 AM
i hope not
those shatter if you look at them wrong or sneeze in their general direction

While I agree at their rather weak structural design, I can not help but feel that a jewel case would just look horribly out of place
amongst my European Dreamcast games. It's bad enough that I had to discover that Japanese games come in jewel cases when
I purchased Fire Pro Wrestling D online all those years ago.

Genesis Knight
01-07-2014, 10:35 AM
I have the Dreamcast version on preorder just because I like Watermelon. I think it will offer little improvement over the Genesis original compared to the true HD editions.

Anticipating Project Y much, much more.

bultje112
01-07-2014, 11:53 AM
While I agree at their rather weak structural design, I can not help but feel that a jewel case would just look horribly out of place
amongst my European Dreamcast games. It's bad enough that I had to discover that Japanese games come in jewel cases when
I purchased Fire Pro Wrestling D online all those years ago.
you only have one dc import? what about games like seaman then or the tons of japanese exclusives including other wrestling games like toukon retsuden 4 and giant gram (2000)?

midnightrider
01-07-2014, 12:13 PM
Heh, I had the wrestling games. Almost wish I was still into wrestling as a whole. Still watch an occasional old match on Youtube now and then though.

TrekkiesUnite118
01-07-2014, 12:16 PM
Hey guys, did Watermelon try to get Pier Solar officially licensed or something?

Not entirely sure, though I do know that Nintendo does seem to be doing a little bit of advertising for the Wii U version:

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/kvtyR7URe7nvM1E4GJH_2WRNfEhMgkWj

zDyyP5yrYUM

Looking at Sony and Microsoft's sites there doesn't appear to be any mention of it.

NeoVamp
01-07-2014, 12:17 PM
you only have one dc import? what about games like seaman then or the tons of japanese exclusives including other wrestling games like toukon retsuden 4 and giant gram (2000)?

Meh, When I got Fire Pro D and saw that they came in these poor jewel cases I kinda lost interest when it came to importing DC games,
Just didn't feel worth the money ya know? because if I'm just gonna get a cd in a jewel case I might as well just pirate and save myself 50 bucks.

And it was difficult enough to pay for Fire Pro D back then, I didn't have Paypal yet (if it even existed back then), and the Smackdown games were getting better and better anyway.
It also doesn't help that I've never really been much into the Dreamcast, It came right during a bad time in my life and due to that it became quite overlooked.

Lastcallhall
01-07-2014, 12:18 PM
Heh, I had the wrestling games. Almost wish I was still into wrestling as a whole. Still watch an occasional old match on Youtube now and then though.

Here, let me catch you up on what's happened:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/lastcallhall/AlteredWWE_zpsda988f38.png

Gogogadget
01-07-2014, 12:24 PM
Are they for real with a price point of $50?

Will buy the PC version when it's on Steam for 3.75

retrospiel
01-07-2014, 01:07 PM
I have the Dreamcast version on preorder just because I like Watermelon. I think it will offer little improvement over the Genesis original compared to the true HD editions.

This is a REAL problem with Watermelon: They did not get the point across that the Dreamcast game is the HD version which then gets ported to PS4/Wii U/Xbox1. It is the same game running at the same resolution. They will not redraw the graphics again to fit PS4 & co.

Gogogadget
01-07-2014, 01:19 PM
This is a REAL problem with Watermelon: They did not get the point across that the Dreamcast game is the HD version which then gets ported to PS4/Wii U/Xbox1. It is the same game running at the same resolution. They will not redraw the graphics again to fit PS4 & co.

But, it's called Pier Solar HD, so if it's the same resolution/tileset on the Dreamcast.. which is 480p, then surely the 'HD' versions aren't actually HD?

bultje112
01-07-2014, 01:24 PM
Meh, When I got Fire Pro D and saw that they came in these poor jewel cases I kinda lost interest when it came to importing DC games,
Just didn't feel worth the money ya know? because if I'm just gonna get a cd in a jewel case I might as well just pirate and save myself 50 bucks.

And it was difficult enough to pay for Fire Pro D back then, I didn't have Paypal yet (if it even existed back then), and the Smackdown games were getting better and better anyway.
It also doesn't help that I've never really been much into the Dreamcast, It came right during a bad time in my life and due to that it became quite overlooked.

how about some japanese games that come in a double cd jewl case like toukon retsuden 4 and sakura taisen 3 and 4.

retrospiel
01-07-2014, 01:29 PM
But, it's called Pier Solar HD, so if it's the same resolution/tileset on the Dreamcast.. which is 480p, then surely the 'HD' versions aren't actually HD?

If you limit your definition of HD to only 720p/1080p then it is not HD, yes.

Doppelgamer
01-07-2014, 01:39 PM
Originally, I was very excited to get the DC version, but in the end I decided to stick with my Genesis/MD version for two reasons. One, I have to watch my money a bit right now. Two, I don't like the mix of "HD" environments with "LD" sprites. If they had a way of toggling true HD sprites on/off, I would be all over it, but it looks odd to me. It's great if people like that though, as that's one more thing they're able to enjoy.

Ninsega
01-07-2014, 01:43 PM

^Getting back to this, I just watched a YouTube vid of gameplay for Pier Solar and saw this-

Did they approach SEGA, but SEGA said no?

Lastcallhall
01-07-2014, 01:59 PM
^Getting back to this, I just watched a YouTube vid of gameplay for Pier Solar and saw this-

Did they approach SEGA, but SEGA said no?

No, they're referring to the stock TMSS message on the Genesis.

o.pwuaioc
01-07-2014, 02:27 PM
When did you receive your Reprint? I still have yet to pre-order Pier Solar. Would like to play it!

Unfortunately, they haven't sent it out yet. They're still taking pre-orders.

Doppelgamer
01-07-2014, 02:32 PM
Question: Is the latest cartridge reprint merely a reprint as they say, or will they be adding any of the bonus mini games that the HD versions feature?

retrospiel
01-07-2014, 02:58 PM
It will most likely be the same reprint that was available back in 2011 and 2012. I doubt they'd update it again seeing as the cartridge space is maxed out already.

Genesis Knight
01-07-2014, 02:59 PM

Hold on. So the Dreamcast/PS4/WiiU/Xbox1 versions will all use the same assets - which were remastered for the Dreamcast 480p version, not for the modern/next gen consoles?

Does this mean that the PS4/WiiU/Xbox1 versions are not widescreen?

retrospiel
01-07-2014, 03:34 PM
Nah, of course they are widescreen. They basically just display more of the playfield at once. It is still 480p but the horizontal resolution is expanded to 720 (from 640). So the Dreamcast version is basically clipped but you loose nothing of importance (as the original was 4:3, and HD redesign stays true to that aspect ratio at heart so only unimportant stuff is displayed outside of the original 4:3 screen as can be seen in Nintendo's trailer)

Genesis Knight
01-07-2014, 03:56 PM
Nah, of course they are widescreen. They basically just display more of the playfield at once. It is still 480p but the horizontal resolution is expanded to 720 (from 640). So the Dreamcast version is basically clipped but you loose nothing of importance (as the original was 4:3, and HD redesign stays true to that aspect ratio at heart so only unimportant stuff is displayed outside of the original 4:3 screen as can be seen in Nintendo's trailer)

Thanks for clearing that up! Okay, so:

Dreamcast: 480p assets, 4:3.
Post-Dreamcast: 480p assets upscaled to 720/1080p, expanded playfield for widescreen.

In that case, I'm much more excited for Pier Solar "HD".

NeoVamp
01-07-2014, 04:28 PM
Here, let me catch you up on what's happened:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/lastcallhall/AlteredWWE_zpsda988f38.png

And not just those 6, also Crush, Mr Perfect, Big Boss Man and Doink died. Playing those Genesis/CD/32X WWF games
is like being inside a virtual obituary. :cry:

Gogogadget
01-07-2014, 04:33 PM
If you limit your definition of HD to only 720p/1080p then it is not HD, yes.

And since anything under 720 is technically not HD then yeah, if the assets we're really made for the Dreamcast and they are upscaling then yes they are lying.

o.pwuaioc
01-07-2014, 04:53 PM
When did 720/1080 become the definition for "high definition"? That resolution wasn't used when Sega slapped on "high definition graphics" onto the Mega Drive in the 80s. I understand that's the system now (HDTV v. EDTV v. SDTV), but I don't remember that threshold being in place in 1999 when the Dreamcast was released.

Lastcallhall
01-07-2014, 04:53 PM
And not just those 6, also Crush, Mr Perfect, Big Boss Man and Doink died. Playing those Genesis/CD/32X WWF games
is like being inside a virtual obituary. :cry:

Yeah, I wound up doing that on my lunch break so I didn't have enough time to include them all (and why the sprite rips look like shit). I wanted to put McMahon in place of Zeus, but I couldn't find a usable genesis sprite.

Gogogadget
01-07-2014, 05:26 PM
When did 720/1080 become the definition for "high definition"? That resolution wasn't used when Sega slapped on "high definition graphics" onto the Mega Drive in the 80s. I understand that's the system now (HDTV v. EDTV v. SDTV), but I don't remember that threshold being in place in 1999 when the Dreamcast was released.

Because since High Definition television was introduced, high definition content is 720 or above, if the assets and game are made for 480 then by calling the game Pier Solar HD are they blatantly lying more than anything, I guess i'll wait for more screenshots to see what it looks like.

midnightrider
01-07-2014, 05:50 PM
Yeah, I wound up doing that on my lunch break so I didn't have enough time to include them all (and why the sprite rips look like shit). I wanted to put McMahon in place of Zeus, but I couldn't find a usable genesis sprite.

Well, he is in Fire Pro D, which is where we started...

Vector2013
01-08-2014, 03:02 AM
Why didn't they fix the audio in , what , 5 reprints so far ? I mean really, fans tried to clean the out of sync audio mess up with 2 versions of cd-rs but couldn't exactly, but why should they, why doesn't the actual company acknowledge and fix the issue especially at price they ask for reprints ?

TmEE
01-08-2014, 03:39 AM
And since anything under 720 is technically not HD then yeah, if the assets we're really made for the Dreamcast and they are upscaling then yes they are lying.

There is no upscaling involved. You see less image on Dreamcast, more on other stuff. Think of taking X360 screenshot or something and chopping off the surroundings.

Gogogadget
01-08-2014, 07:18 AM
There is no upscaling involved. You see less image on Dreamcast, more on other stuff. Think of taking X360 screenshot or something and chopping off the surroundings.

I see. The Dreamcast version is obviously some kind of weird novelty then I guess, maybe they should release a Saturn version too ;p

FoxHound
01-08-2014, 02:01 PM
Adding this to my want list for WiiU.

DJ_Convoy
01-08-2014, 04:34 PM
Still waiting for my Kickstarted copy.

retrospiel
01-08-2014, 06:16 PM
I see. The Dreamcast version is obviously some kind of weird novelty then I guess, maybe they should release a Saturn version too ;p

I am not sure I understand ? It is the full game. It is Pier Solar HD, i.e. the old game in 4x the resolution, just without the widescreen. Watch the YT trailer and cut off 20 pixels on each side.

Gogogadget
01-08-2014, 06:37 PM
I am not sure I understand ? It is the full game. It is Pier Solar HD, i.e. the old game in 4x the resolution, just without the widescreen. Watch the YT trailer and cut off 20 pixels on each side.

Does it render at 720/1080?

retrospiel
01-08-2014, 07:57 PM
It renders 480i (240lines/every other frame) on your SDTV and 480p (480lines/every frame) on your HDTV - and only on your HDTV. It is 4x the resolution of the original Pier Solar. It is Pier Solar HD.

Vector2013
01-08-2014, 10:53 PM
But not true HD (as it is now) because it isn't 720p/1080, as we mentioned. But it's cool it is 4 x sharper than md ps, but man I'm hoping audio is in sync.

Guntz
01-08-2014, 11:25 PM
I notice next pre-order date for Pier Solar DC is March 25th, gives me more time to think about buying. It'd be pretty sweet to pad my DC collection with, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to play it much. I haven't even finished the Genesis version yet, too many damn games to play... Not enough time to play.

evilevoix
01-09-2014, 01:04 AM
The HD in Pier Solar HD hints at the game running in four times the resolution of the original MD game. And Dreamcast really does 480p via VGA so it kinda is HD, even though it is the lowest HD compatible resolution.

480P, IIRC isn't know has High Definition but, Enhanced Definition.

Also this game for the MD and Sega CD, doesn't it use both the cart and the CD at the same time?

Waterfaller
01-09-2014, 02:54 AM
I just read that the Xbox360 version got delayed. I hope that gets cleared up soon :/

Vector2013
01-09-2014, 03:38 AM
480P, IIRC isn't know has High Definition but, Enhanced Definition.

Also this game for the MD and Sega CD, doesn't it use both the cart and the CD at the same time?

Yes, and the audio is out of sync, even the 2 fan cd-r updates are not perfect, even the official reissues have audio out of sync problems. That's why I refuse to buy the md/segacd version.

tim333
01-09-2014, 03:46 AM
I've played the Genesis version with the CD soundtrack 7 times through, and I've never really noticed the problem you describe.

That Dreamcast version looks cool, though, it'd be my platform of choice to play the game.

Vector2013
01-09-2014, 03:59 AM
A newer updated audio cd was even posted by Watermelon themselves because they heard alot about problems with official cd, but post 5 makes it even better but link was down for years. So why in 5 years did they not release a new official working cd, I mean after all those reissue$ and they want you to burn a fixed cd-r now ? Wow.

http://www.piersolar.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1541&f=28

Problems

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9068543

"A functionality issue has been reported by many players that the disc included with their game has a tendency to skip on their Sega CD system. The issue occurs when the music tracks get stuck skip loop usually five seconds into the track. Water Melon has repeatedly denied that there is any issue with the CD and insists that the problem is attributable entirely to aging consoles, although no other Sega CD game so consistently produces the same issue. Interestingly enough, a CD-R copy of the Pier Solar soundtrack disc produces no such issues. Draw your own conclusion from that."

http://www.piersolar.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1502

Sometimes fx are out of sync, or music skips, all kind of issues.

bultje112
01-09-2014, 06:19 AM
A newer updated audio cd was even posted by Watermelon themselves because they heard alot about problems with official cd, but post 5 makes it even better but link was down for years. So why in 5 years did they not release a new official working cd, I mean after all those reissue$ and they want you to burn a fixed cd-r now ? Wow.

http://www.piersolar.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1541&f=28

Problems

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9068543

"A functionality issue has been reported by many players that the disc included with their game has a tendency to skip on their Sega CD system. The issue occurs when the music tracks get stuck skip loop usually five seconds into the track. Water Melon has repeatedly denied that there is any issue with the CD and insists that the problem is attributable entirely to aging consoles, although no other Sega CD game so consistently produces the same issue. Interestingly enough, a CD-R copy of the Pier Solar soundtrack disc produces no such issues. Draw your own conclusion from that."

http://www.piersolar.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1502

Sometimes fx are out of sync, or music skips, all kind of issues.

that's why they stopped including the cd's in the package and you can now burn them yourselves with no problems

retrospiel
01-09-2014, 08:00 AM
The problem seems to be the pressing not the CD layout itself which explains why CD-Rs work. Plus they DID re-release the CD as part of the 4-CD soundtrack box if I am not mistaken.

tomaitheous
01-09-2014, 01:12 PM
The problem seems to be the pressing not the CD layout itself which explains why CD-Rs work. Plus they DID re-release the CD as part of the 4-CD soundtrack box if I am not mistaken.
So the SegaCD has a harder time with newer pressed CD? I.e. Doesn't like the smaller pit pitch? PC-Engine CD systems seems to be ok with them for the most part, but they still aren't the same pit length and lead to more re-seeks and retries.

The Jackal
01-09-2014, 02:20 PM
So when exactly is this getting released? I'd love to lay the cash down for it (which I'm doing tomorrow regardless ;)) but I'd like to know when this drops. Can't find any mention on the site itself.

The Jackal
01-10-2014, 06:55 AM
So when exactly is this getting released? I'd love to lay the cash down for it (which I'm doing tomorrow regardless ;)) but I'd like to know when this drops. Can't find any mention on the site itself.

So no one knows?? Even an estimate?

KitsuneNight
01-10-2014, 07:35 AM
i guessing march april but dont quote me on that

xelement5x
01-10-2014, 12:04 PM
So the SegaCD has a harder time with newer pressed CD? I.e. Doesn't like the smaller pit pitch? PC-Engine CD systems seems to be ok with them for the most part, but they still aren't the same pit length and lead to more re-seeks and retries.

No, the original pressed CD in the first versions of the game was not pressed properly or there is some problem with the layout. It was a QC issue from what I understand, so to compensate they released the free version on the net. Of course, they also removed some content on the free release compared to what was on the first release CD as well.

Thunderblaze16
01-10-2014, 04:10 PM
i guessing march april

You better be right!

Zebbe
01-10-2014, 09:12 PM
Of course, they also removed some content on the free release compared to what was on the first release CD as well.

That was the content you could access on computers, which didn't have any troubles reading the discs, so releasing that content for free wasn't necessary.

The game is scheduled to be released in March.

Guntz
01-11-2014, 04:15 AM
I was under the impression the computer-accessible data was meant more for the early adopters, though at this point it seems to only increase the collector value of the pre-order version.

Still I'm quite happy with my Genesis reprint copy.

KitsuneNight
01-11-2014, 05:42 AM
I just read that the Xbox360 version got delayed. I hope that gets cleared up soon :/

there is a xbox 360 version ?
suddenly im more interested in that

The Jackal
01-11-2014, 03:07 PM
The game is scheduled to be released in March.

Ah awesome, thanks Zebbe.

Vector2013
01-12-2014, 12:25 AM
that's why they stopped including the cd's in the package and you can now burn them yourselves with no problems

No shit, but what a great idea, 5 years later and I can buy Pier Solar on cart + cd for $100+ then through away the pressed cd because it's useless and a professional revision was never offered for all those years so I have to burn a fucking cd-r, yeah that's money well spent and a good business practice for them.

Waterfaller
01-12-2014, 04:25 AM
there is a xbox 360 version ?
suddenly im more interested in that

Hyup, there sure is. If it gets cancelled (knock on wood) I'll have to spring for the DC version since that's the only other system that I have that Pier Solar is being released on.

(please don't let it get cancelled)

KitsuneNight
01-12-2014, 12:46 PM
well ill hold off pre ordering it then i got till march anyway

SpaceFlea
01-12-2014, 11:30 PM
...and a professional revision was never offered for all those years...

Was not the new pressing that came packaged with the OST a professional revision?

That's the one I use and I've never encountered any issues with it.

NeoVamp
01-13-2014, 01:22 AM
No shit, but what a great idea, 5 years later and I can buy Pier Solar on cart + cd for $100+ then through away the pressed cd because it's useless and a professional revision was never offered for all those years so I have to burn a fucking cd-r, yeah that's money well spent and a good business practice for them.

Yeah that bothered me too (and still does) and it sucks even more because even the burned CD somehow doesn't work on my Mega CD.
ah well..

xelement5x
01-13-2014, 12:37 PM
Was not the new pressing that came packaged with the OST a professional revision?

That's the one I use and I've never encountered any issues with it.

There was, and ideally that would be the one to make an ISO of and use since they're not printing the OST anymore.(If you've got a link to that ISO please let me know :) ) I think that was a one time run, and I kick myself for putting off ordering it and picking up an extra copy of the game instead since it sold out fast. All the extra copy of the game does is just sit in my closet gathering dust since I have an opened copy already.

That was the content you could access on computers, which didn't have any troubles reading the discs, so releasing that content for free wasn't necessary.

I know your reasoning, I was just pointing it out for those who were wondering why there are multiple versions of the audio CD ISO floating around. I know I was confused when I first tried to get everything figured out, and in the end even though I think I have a working version of the CD (it seems to work?) I just stopped trying to mess around with it.

Moirai
01-13-2014, 12:57 PM
I say release a fixed pressed SCD disc at the same time you release the DC game.

NeoVamp
01-13-2014, 03:32 PM
I say release a fixed pressed SCD disc at the same time you release the DC game.

I'd get it, I need a replacement disc for the piece of shit disc I ended up with.

Vector2013
01-24-2014, 10:52 PM

That is funny, I saw a reissue maybe last year or 2 selling cart + cd. So for years the "fixed" cd-r been out, but during that time they still sold editions with cart + bad pro cd, years after initial release. Unless companies/pro sites other than WM were selling those editions? At any rate, the problem should have been resolved after initial release. A cd-r sent to everyone who bought a bad pro cd and the cancellation of the issues of pro cart + pro cd after problem was known, at the very least. I hope the dc (cd-r, ooppss gd-rom maybe ha) version doesn't suffer the bad pressing problem. No WM didn't press it themselves, but another company should have been found to press a better cd in reissues after initial release.

Being this is only a PS ED release, meaning 80% of screen showing and it's not really a PS HD release for dc and also the pro sega cd debacle, I will wait to buy this for my dc.

QuickSciFi
01-25-2014, 11:16 AM
I already paid for my DC version when they first started taking pre-orders. I hope they take out the mandatory "bonus levels" and allow for them to be played as such (as a bonus, not mandatory). Either way, I'm really looking forward to seeing this baby redone/remastered. I'm already getting this "Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete" anticipation. I can't wait.

P.S.> For me, I don't see the point of getting this game outside a SEGA platform. But that's just me speaking as a collector and a purist. I'm sure the other HD versions will also be great. I just hope there isn't much difference among them, though.

bkfount
01-25-2014, 09:33 PM
the game looks nice, but it's more appealing to me as a genesis cart.

will preorder a reprint. Do they charge when you order or when they have it ready?

Vector2013
01-25-2014, 09:38 PM
^ Let me know if they still sell that fucked up pro segacd cd (disc) with cart, ok.

zetastrike
01-26-2014, 12:23 AM
I'd rather play it as a Genesis game, but it can reach more people this way. Is the Genesis version going to be available for DL or just the enhanced game?

Vector2013
01-26-2014, 12:25 AM
^ What ? There is no genesis PS HD version. There already exists a partial PS genesis rom on internet though.

QuickSciFi
01-26-2014, 12:06 PM
I don't think you guys are grasping the concept here. Pier Solar HD will effectively be a different game than its 16-bit counterpart. Think Lunar The Silver Star on the Sega CD, then think Silver Star Story Complete on the next generation (i.e.-Saturn, PS1).

The Jackal
01-26-2014, 05:12 PM
I don't think you guys are grasping the concept here. Pier Solar HD will effectively be a different game than its 16-bit counterpart. Think Lunar The Silver Star on the Sega CD, then think Silver Star Story Complete on the next generation (i.e.-Saturn, PS1).

Besides smoothed out better graphics, I'm pretty sure it is just the same as the Genesis version, content-wise.

Bottino
01-26-2014, 11:55 PM
Besides smoothed out better graphics, I'm pretty sure it is just the same as the Genesis version, content-wise.

Yeah, i don't think they will include animated cutscenes , voice acting and such.

Doppelgamer
01-27-2014, 12:48 AM
Yeah, i don't think they will include animated cutscenes , voice acting and such.
I'm fine with what they are doing, but I have to admit that part of me thinks that would have been kind of neat, as they could do a Sega CD version of the game with all that.

Raistlin
06-19-2018, 02:23 PM
My game freezes. I bought it back then when it was released but it rested unopened on the shelf until two weeks ago. Now I have a bad issue. During the "sacrifise-ending" after the talk with Muerto the screen stays black and the music gets broken like on a scratched CD. But my CD isin mint condition. I tried it three times always with the same issue. The rest of the game plays fine. I couldnt test it on another Dreamcast yet. Does anyone else had a similar issue with the game?

Bottino
06-19-2018, 10:25 PM
You could test the game on an emulator such as nullDC or Demul to identify if it's a problem with your copy of the game or your DC.

Raistlin
06-29-2018, 01:08 PM
My game freezes. I bought it back then when it was released but it rested unopened on the shelf until two weeks ago. Now I have a bad issue. During the "sacrifise-ending" after the talk with Muerto the screen stays black and the music gets broken like on a scratched CD. But my CD isin mint condition. I tried it three times always with the same issue. The rest of the game plays fine. I couldnt test it on another Dreamcast yet. Does anyone else had a similar issue with the game?

I tried 2 Pier Solar games on three different Dreamcasts (that makes 6 different combinations) but the error occured everytime. I cannot imagine that 3 Dreamcasts or 2 Pier Solars are broken. So I want to ask somebody to try and test it himself please. I use a pal Dreamcast, a pal Pier Solar game, a scart cable as connection between TV and DC and I played in german language using the 50Hz setting. Can someone please try it this way and tell me the result? I have no clue why its happening.

Edit: See the video containig the issue but be aware of MINOR spoilers:
https://youtu.be/VDURnryM2v4

KitsuneNight
04-04-2019, 02:04 PM
wise fwom your gwave

in the end i somehow ended up with a drm free version from humble
and its 2,5 fucking gig