PDA

View Full Version : New Dreamcast Game Arrived at my house today. Not impressed.

TheEdge
03-03-2014, 08:52 PM
Hey Guys,

I needed to vent about the new Independent Dreamcast game that arrived at my house today. NGDEVTEAM is a European indie developer for the NeoGeo & Dreamcast and they blew it again. Two times in a row. First with Fast Striker and now with NeoXYX. Technically speaking both games look great. Great levels, great enemies, great bosses, amazing music but sadly....and I do mean sadly......The last two shooter games they came out with had a huge Achilles heel flaw to them. Hit Detection.

I don't know about you guys but I've played at least 100 shoot'em ups in my time and every single one of them from Galaxian and GORF to Ikaruga and mars matrix all had SPOT ON hit detection. For all you people out there that do not know what hit detection is, its like collision detection in side-scrolling beat'em ups. You can literally fly through countless shots unscathed. You have no idea when and how the hit on your aircraft will take place. You may fly through 10 shots in a row and on the 11th shot your spaceship blows up. WTF.

Since I'm very conspiratorial minded I think I may have the answer. NGDEVTEAM's first project was called Last Hope and even though this game looked, sounded, and played amazingly with its super perfect NeoGeo graphics.......customers were all pissed off about its difficulty. The customers complained so much that NGDEVTEAM capitulated and re-programmed the game to make it have numerous other difficulty settings and re-colored the shots coming at the player bright pink......Last Hope: Pink Bullets.

To make a long story short, I think NGDEVTEAM is still in capitulation shell shock mode from Last Hope's complaints and has made their games so user friendly that they actually made the "HIT POINT" on the players spacecraft so small that you don't know if you're going to blow up one minute or the game is just going to allow invincibility mode for the next 30 some odd enemy bullets.

Blah! Hope Ghost Blades from Hucast is better or else I'm retiring my dreamcast.

-Edge

Barone
03-03-2014, 09:53 PM
For all you people out there that do not know what hit detection is, its like collision detection in side-scrolling beat'em ups.
:ok:

Conan
03-03-2014, 10:13 PM
I'm going to try and get into shooters this month. I always disliked them, but I'm gonna go ahead and see if my tastes have changed over the past half decade or so since I played one.

old man
03-03-2014, 10:51 PM
How does the hit detection compare to DoDonPachi's? I always liked DDP's. It was basically the pilots cockpit.

Ninsega
03-04-2014, 01:24 AM
That's a lot of words just to say you bought a shitty shmup game.

That genre is beaten to death as it is. I'd like to see these guys using their talents towards games like what Watermelon and Super Fighter Team produce.

Jeckidy
03-04-2014, 03:09 AM
I too am tired of shmups. There are so many cookie cutter ones out there, that it is rare when someone does the genre in an interesting, innovative way. I would personally like an online game with broadband or wifi support bundled with the respective adapter for DC. Probably a strategy game with 4P VS online. Seriously, people just do puzzle or shmups because they require less effort to produce. It's like a "Get out of jail free" card. Stop it, guys.

OverDrone
03-04-2014, 03:33 AM
I too am tired of shmups. There are so many cookie cutter ones out there, that it is rare when someone does the genre in an interesting, innovative way. I would personally like an online game with broadband or wifi support bundled with the respective adapter for DC. Probably a strategy game with 4P VS online. Seriously, people just do puzzle or shmups because they require less effort to produce. It's like a "Get out of jail free" card. Stop it, guys.

And when they do like with Ikaruga and RS, they tend to get put up on a pedastal they don't necessarily deserve by people that can't play the games (see your average western internet review for the past 15 years). They are good/great games, don't get me wrong (I personally don't really get on with them however), but mainstream opinion would have you believe they're the only shmups worth playing.

Which is of course cobblers.

Or you get stuff like Sine Mora, which again reviewed well with western game sites if I recall correctly, despite not being very good. At all.

@ Edge: I haven't heard any hit detection issues being brought up on Shmups forum, although there is a REDUX hate thread full of posts about that game's cheap collector's tin and blurry screen filter.

FoxHound
03-04-2014, 01:39 PM
Edge nice to see you posting again. Did you see any gameplay footage before buying? What other shoot em ups are on DC you like?

old man
03-05-2014, 12:16 AM
Nobody cares if people don't like shmups. There are plenty of other hombrews out there to play not to mention the glut of retro platformers. Shmups are a mostly forgotten genre supported by a relatively few enthusiasts. Leave us alone. We're having fun.

TheEdge
03-08-2014, 02:24 PM
I have to backpedal a little bit! My friend and I were testing it out again last night and the developers are correct....the hitbox does activate when getting hit by the front of some shots and definitely activates when you hit another craft.

I definitely like it better than Fast Striker but i still agree with the criticism about lack of option......screen position and music volume are not options that's just mandatory. How about difficulty modes?

Edge nice to see you posting again. Did you see any gameplay footage before buying? What other shoot em ups are on DC you like?

Yes, and from what it looked like it was spot on. I guess I was initially disappointed because it still had some hitbox dissonance similar to fast striker BUT it is definitely a whole lot better and I like it a lot now.....Happy it was made (new independent game for DC in 2014) and happy I have it in my DC collection.

Other shmups I like on the DC are mars matrix, ikaruga, border down, last hope pink bullets, DUX, Sturmwind (amazing), giga wing (arcade perfect)

Hows everyone been? Sorry I began my return with negativity.

How does the hit detection compare to DoDonPachi's? I always liked DDP's. It was basically the pilots cockpit.

About the same, DoDonPachi and DonPachi have the same kind of hit box system....which isn't bad...I just had to get used to it. Funny you bring it up because I just finished my Multicade a few months ago and on the Multi-Board I installed in it there are a ton of great Shooters like the DonPachi's. Nothing like playing them on an old arcade.