PDA

View Full Version : The end of CD/GD ROMs Drives of past CD consoles ? - Behold, the SD Serial Board

phoenix
04-07-2014, 09:21 AM
The end of CD/GD ROM drives of past consoles ? - Behold the DC SD Serial Board aka "GDEmu" aka "DC Everdrive".

f9Ckoob2-Yo

http://gdemu.wordpress.com/

Imagine one for a Sega CD and Sega Saturn and other consoles. Sure the 360 could only have 8 full games on a 32 gb sd card but Dreamcast you could have 20 classic actual/retail cdda/Isos plus many homebrews just on 1 sd card, without the need of the sd serial adapter/dreamshell anymore. SD cards seem to be the way to go for Everdrive and adapters or motherboards such as this, but why not usb which can hold more than 32 gb, even an external hd ? Would be epic.

Btw, this version just has him resetting DC for the games to load in alphabetical order, but v5 will have a menu. Plus the loading times seem wayyy faster than even a gdrom. Playing Shenmue or games that used to take up 2 cd's/gd's would be great to have on a sd card too.

What are your thoughts ?

KitsuneNight
04-07-2014, 09:24 AM
interesting
especially since there are only so many dreamcasts and saturns to go around
but would you be able to rip your own games with this set up ?

NeoVamp
04-07-2014, 09:35 AM
I actually bought a 2nd Dreamcast just for this, gonna be fun messing around with that.

EclecticGroove
04-07-2014, 10:32 AM
interesting
especially since there are only so many dreamcasts and saturns to go around
but would you be able to rip your own games with this set up ?

Everything before the DC is easy enough to rip your own games. The DC and GC are the only tricky ones because they are not standard formats.

I hope this guy makes a version for the older systems as well. The DC may have a fairly failure prone drive, but the older consoles are getting up there in age and the failure of their optical drives is inevitable. The failure/loss of disks is inevitable as well. I've love to have my entire collection ripped and on a handfull of SD cards + backed up and be 100% usable in that format.

I'll be keeping my eye on this, but chances are I'll absolutely get one. I have the DC BBA, so I'd be able to rip my own games if I can track down the software to do it.

KitsuneNight
04-07-2014, 10:39 AM
^ figures

hopefully ripping dc games will be made easier with this thing otherwise its kinda pointless

i want to rip my own games and play them on my modded dreamcast

NeoVamp
04-07-2014, 10:55 AM
hopefully ripping dc games will be made easier with this thing otherwise its kinda pointless

Are you.. that stupid? this is pretty much a Dreamcast Everdrive, allowing you to load iso's from an SD card,
and here you are talking about wanting to rip your own games so you can ruin your DC laser even more by playing backups
of games you already own? pointless? so.. you would consider every flashcart pointless because it allows you to play roms
but not let you copy your own games that you already own but want to play the rom of?

phoenix
04-07-2014, 10:56 AM
^ figures

hopefully ripping dc games will be made easier with this thing,

otherwise its kinda pointless

Totally disagree, not pointless at all. I'm not sure if there is a method for this to burn gd roms onto sd board, I think it just replaces optical drive with sd drive, however there are many methods to burn your cd/gd/cdda retail games or simply download cd/gd/cdda retail "back ups" online. Very easy to do if you just have 1 dreamcast (regardless if laser is getting weak, it'll die 1 day anyway) to back up your own retail cd/gd's :

1) Buy a dc sd card adapter 2.0, $18 with dreamshell (dreamshell is free software online) or dcplaya2.0 (also free online I also think they make a sddcplaya2.0)
http://dc-sd.com/p/1/dreamcast-sd-adapter-dreamshell-sd-cardreader
2) Get a sd card, $8. Plug sd card in sd adapter which plus into dc serail port of dc. ($26 to back up your library).
3) You can make direct backups of your retail gd dc games onto a sd card.
4) Buy this, $100 board and take out your cd/gd/optical drive and install this in it's place and use sd card with your games.
5) Set for life.

As mentioned, cd/gd rom/discs deteriorate too so replacing your cd/gd rom library and dc cd/gd rom drive, and having everything running off a sd card (which loads faster than retail gd's anyway) is a win/win. I agree Sega CD should have this too. Many retired sega cd model 1's will be useful. Well they are now, but many people won't fix the easy tray or other problems.

pointless? this is pretty much a Dreamcast Everdrive, allowing you to load iso's from an SD card,

Exactly.

KitsuneNight
04-07-2014, 11:00 AM
Are you.. that stupid? this is pretty much a Dreamcast Everdrive, allowing you to load iso's from an SD card,
and here you are talking about wanting to rip your own games so you can ruin your DC laser even more by playing backups
of games you already own? pointless? so.. you would consider every flashcart pointless because it allows you to play roms
but not let you copy your own games that you already own but want to play the rom of?

uhuh so im stupid for wanting to rip my own games
games i own because im not intrested in pirating dc games

glad we established that

phoenix
04-07-2014, 11:05 AM

glad we established that

I explained how you can do that even now in post 7.

NeoVamp
04-07-2014, 11:09 AM

Yes you are stupid, you're the stupidest poster on the entire forum. you want to rip your own games to play them on
your modded dreamcast, which means you want to burn them to disc (you clearly said for play on your modded DC)
which will end up wearing out your DC laser even more, which is pointless when you have an ISO LOADER installed.

Now had you said you would like to dump your own games to iso so you won't have to download them, then I could have said ok.

but even then you said its a pointless device. which further shows you don't know what the fuck you're talking about!!

so the Sega Everdrive is pointless because it wont allow you to dump your own games? games that you would then want to burn to actual carts?

because that's what you're saying.

If you already own them why would you want to dump them and burn them to disc then? that ruins your DC laser!

And if you're not interested in pirating DC games just download the iso's of games you already have!!

Knuckle Duster
04-07-2014, 11:10 AM
This is the solution I was looking for years ago, after I murdered my first Dreamcast and sought to revive it. :ok:

Ninsega
04-07-2014, 11:12 AM
So all you do is connect that thingymabob to the connector that the GD-ROM was connected to?

Lastcallhall
04-07-2014, 11:42 AM
This is all fine and dandy, but preorders for the first run are already full, there's a waitlist for the 2nd run, and Deunan has already commented that this would be a low-production run on his blog. My only hope here is to have someone get ahold of one and see if it can be reverse engineered if this is the case.

EclecticGroove
04-07-2014, 12:17 PM
This is all fine and dandy, but preorders for the first run are already full, there's a waitlist for the 2nd run, and Deunan has already commented that this would be a low-production run on his blog. My only hope here is to have someone get ahold of one and see if it can be reverse engineered if this is the case.

It's also still pretty immature. No menu, fairly primitive, etc.
It could use another person or two to run with the initial concept and expand upon it.

When it has a menu and you can set up the directory structure to be a bit more meaningful (not just 01,02, etc with very specific file names) it would be a hell of a lot better. Since this guy came up with it, I'd rather see him be the one to profit off it... but if he's not really going to do more with it, then yes I hope someone else runs with it.

NeoVamp
04-07-2014, 12:19 PM
Deunan has already commented that this would be a low-production run on his blog.

Here's hoping that he can strike a deal with someone who can manufacture these by bigger numbers.

And please guyz.. lets leave Krikkz out of this, poor guy is probably swamped with work now that he has the Gameboy Everdrive out.

EclecticGroove
04-07-2014, 12:41 PM
But he has the talent and the experience with such things. I could see them partnering up if they both could work with one another.

phoenix
04-07-2014, 01:16 PM
Not sure if I mentioned this, but the video I posted was of gdemu v4. Version 5 will have a menu he said.

fluxcore
04-07-2014, 03:48 PM
Actually, he said a game selector was a possibility, but is low priority, IIRC.

Full disclosure, I'm on the waiting list :)

Joe Redifer
04-07-2014, 03:49 PM
This is definitely really cool but I don't want to have to keep removing my GD-ROM drive every time I use it and I'm not gonna get rid of my current collection so that means I'll have to get another Dreamcast.

xelement5x
04-07-2014, 04:02 PM
This is definitely really cool but I don't want to have to keep removing my GD-ROM drive every time I use it and I'm not gonna get rid of my current collection so that means I'll have to get another Dreamcast.

Dreamcasts are pretty cheap so it might be worth it. I've found a couple in thrifts for about $10 and some on CL as well in bundles with other stuff. That said, I'd be interested in picking up one of these as well. Originally I was thinking I would get the SD card thing, but this seems like a much nicer solution.

NeoVamp
04-07-2014, 07:50 PM
Actually, he said a game selector was a possibility, but is low priority, IIRC.

At least the hardware is there! build it and software will come! http://www.sega-16.com/forum/images/icons/talking.gif (as long as its designed for flexible software updates)

Ninsega
04-07-2014, 09:10 PM
Hopefully nobody tosses out the GD-ROMs to the units they gut.

But then again, GD-ROMs are shit, so...

Bottino
04-08-2014, 01:06 AM
This is beyond awesome!
No more CDs/GDs to mess around, no more weak lasers, no more drive failures...
Just pure Dreamcast heaven!

I have a DC with a dead GD-Rom drive that would be perfect for this. As soon as i finish my college , i will see if i can get my hands in one of those.

SegaSonic91
04-09-2014, 01:44 PM
Well there is also the DCIO from the brains behind the PSIO. Hopefully it will be out this year.

It's a long shot, but I hope to eventually be able buy a similar device for all my old disc based systems. A Saturn, MEGA-CD and PC Engine version would be so awesome. Not much point in wanting one for the PC-FX, lol.

madmax2069
04-09-2014, 10:01 PM
I would defiantly buy one for my DC as its eye is getting weak, ive already had to replace the spindle motor.

phoenix
04-10-2014, 03:53 AM
I'm confused, in the video directly below, in the description, the guy says he WAS working on GDEMU but it failed so he collaborated with the guy who did PSIO or something to make this DCIO video 7 months ago. The video is below. Yet the video I posted in post 1 in this thread was from last month of a GDEMUv4. So did these 2 have a fallout ? So 1 guy is fully working on PSIO again and other guy is back fully working on GDEMU again and DCIO is canceled ? Or are these 2 different guys working together for new IO's or ?

KW652QY50lc

The latest PSIO videos were from last year. Sucks no CDDA or XA can be done yet. So I guess games in this video below was using online ISO's with mp3 audio replacing CDDA on sd card ?

gE9J4g5TYPw

For those confused about the SD Serial Card Adapter or Reader (required) + Dreamshell CD (there are many versions, I use Dreamshell 4 RC 1) or Dreamshell Bios Chip (1 of those are required too, either the Dreamshell cd or bios chip) which has been around since 2009 or so but basically fully developed finally and supported by sdiso in 2014, here you go. It is amazing technology you can fully play many retail games with CDDA audio or homebrew games and emulators with 100% speed. Now not everything works 100% yet, or to make it play 100% music needs to be removed in some cases for some retail games, but it's still great and out now. Plus you can rip your DC library onto sd card.

_h1vU67B7xM

U88IfMK_4HQ

Videos, MP3's and more can run off SD too.

w-5CJA9bC-c

0VZsmaUEsPQ

Also, what is the best Super Nintendo Flashcart, like SNES Everdrive or this or ?

m8TYIh5CWx8

NeoVamp
04-10-2014, 10:35 AM
Also, what is the best Super Nintendo Flashcart, like SNES Everdrive or this or ?

Best is SD2Snes, best alternative is Snes Everdrive, cheapest is the Super UFO Pro 8.

SD2Snes : Expensive as fuck, but runs the DSP-1 games like Mario Kart without having to gut a real cart, also runs Mega Man X1/2/3,
might run FX games at one point, MIGHT!!! probably not though, loads roms almost instantly, has neat led's! also runs those huge games
like Tales of Phantasia or the uncompressed Star Ocean.

Snes Everdrive : Don't know much about this one, does it run Tales of Phantasia/Star Ocean?

Super UFO Pro 8 : Smells of bad plastic, only short dos filenames, runs up to 32M roms, kinda picky when it comes to hacked roms.
cheap though! and it has a sweet copier GUI with music! even christmas music!

Snes PowerPak : Uses Compact Flash cards (which suck cause they damage so easily with those little pins and all) boring menu unless you
use the fan made patch. runs the enormous uncompressed Star Ocean though! also these can (or could?) be purchased with a build in DSP-1 chip.

phoenix
04-10-2014, 11:11 AM
Thank you for your SNES flashcart information. Any knowledge of the PCIO, DCIO and GDEMU question I asked ? Even if DCIO or GDEMU doesn't release, I am very happy with DC SD + Dreamshell as of right now. But DCIO or GDEMU could blow it out of the water for sure.

Just got new info about DC SD Serial Dreamshell. "Now DreamShell (dev version of RC2) supports IDE devices over G1 bus, GD drive emulation using expensive hardware is not required, IDE devices (HDD or CF card, without capacity limit like SD) connects directly to the port G1 with simple adapter (only wires).
Everyone will make their choice, pay 100+ euro or get almost for free, but with some limitations (such as CDDA).
Cost of G1 adapter comparable to the cost of SD adapter."

Read that again. Incredible. I'll take a ISO with mp3 audio game experience for just $20 working with new Dreamshell and using my tb external harddrive rather than $100 to $200 ISO with CDDA game from 32 gb sd board like GDEMU maybe.

NeoVamp
04-10-2014, 01:05 PM
I'm just gonna wait a bit when it comes to this DC stuff, I want it to become a bit more advanced before I open my wallet.

phoenix
04-10-2014, 01:50 PM
I respect that.

The advantage of GDEMU is if my GD ROM is broke, a replacement board with SD can keep your DC alive forever, 32 gb sd card on GDEMU board = classic DC 32 games with CDDA. That board and sd card might be $100 or $200.

The advantage of Dreamshell 4 RC2 + External HD is buying the Dreamshell RC2 Bios chip (will need it if my GD ROM is broke) and new serial adapter to hook up to DC serial port to play ALL DC games but no CDDA (mp3 instead) off my external hard drive. How much money is Dreamshell RC2 bios chip and this new hard drive adapter ? But as of now, many games work perfect from Dreamshell RC1 and serial SD adapter.

The advantage of DCIO, it could play 32 DC games like GDEMU but CDDA might not be supported. If the device is even still being worked on.

Right now, dreamshell rc1 and sd adapter is the best choice and the cheapest. Here are games I tested so far that work with it. Keep in mind all graphics are perfect, but audio like music could be missing but sound effects are still present.

Another World - seems to have all audio
Apricot Shmup Homebrew - no music, but sound fx
Armored Warriors - has all audio
Asteroids3dDC Homebrew - no music, but sound fx
Avengers BOR - has all audio
Bare Knuckle BOR - has all audio
Bat Hunt - audio
Battletoads BOR - has all audio
Blambastic - audio
Blockrage (like columns) - has all audio
Blocksmash (like tetris) - has all audio
Blobwars Metal Solid Homebrew - has all audio
BOR Remix 2 BOR - has all audio
ChronoKiller BOR - has all audio
Crazeeman (pacman 3d clone) - audio
DC 3D Fighting Homebrew - no music, but sound fx
DefenderDC - has all audio
DoomDC - seems to have all audio
DreamChessDC - sound fx
Evil Dead 2 - audio
Flashback - seems have all audio
FF Apocalypse BOR - has all audio
Golden Axe Legend - audio
GG SMS Emulator SD - a fantastic sms/gg emu, everything seems spot on
HeadHunter 1 & 2 - seems perfect (not sure if all music ?)
HyperDuel Shump BOR Homebrew - has all audio
Iron Clad - Neo Geo - seems have all audio
Jazz Jacketrabbit - has all audio
KOF97 - Neo Geo - no music, but has sound fx
Last Blade - Neo Geo - seems have all audio
League Bowling - Neo Geo - has all audio
Lord of the Rings rpg Homrbrew - has all audio
Lunar Launch Lander (port/homebrew) - no music, but has sound fx
Mega Drive Classics Col Emu - 12 genesis games graphics are perfect but audio is awful
Metal Slug - Neo Geo - seems have all audio
Minigolf - sound fx
Nam1975 - Neo Geo - seems have all audio
Namco Museum Collection - has all audio
NesterDCSE - a fantastic nes emu, everything seems spot on
Road Rash Evolution - audio
Ninja Commando - Neo Geo - seems have all audio
ProfonationDC Homebrew - has no music in level but sound fx
Quake - seems perfect
Resident Evil 3 - seems perfect (?)
Rick Dangerous - audio is loud and horrible
Robo Army - Neo Geo - seems have all audio
ROTT 1st Person Shooter Homebrew - has all audio
Scaletrix - audio
Search For Athena BOR - has all audio
Sega GT - seems perfect
SFVictory BOR - has all audio
SG1000 Emu - a fantastic sega sg1000 emu
Shippy1984 Homebew - seems perfect
Simpsons BOR - has all audio
SmashTVDC - has all audio
Sonic Adv 2 Demo - seems perfect
Strider BOR - has all audio
Subhunt Homebrew - no music but has sound fx
Super Fighter Spirits - has all audio
SuperPang - audio
Tekham - audio
TheNewGyrus - has all audio
TMNT BOR - has all audio
Tokyo Racer/Highway Challenge - seems perfect
Tokyo Racer 2 - seems perfect
Unreal SD - seems perfect
VOB BOR - has all audio
X-Men BOR - has all audio
Xump Homebrew - all audio
Wizard - sound fx
Wolfenstein DC - has all audio
Zelda Roth Homebrew - has all audio

Games that don't work in DS 4.0 RC1

Barrage
CommanderKeen
DC Squares
Intellivision Emu - can't get roms work
Noiz2sa (a real shame it doesn't work, very cool homebrew)
Reversi
Revolver (a real shame it doesn't work, very cool homebrew)
VG Tetris

Games that run at 80%

Dead or Alive 2 - no music
SFA3 - with music

New DreamShell 4 RC2 play games off your External Hard Drive

Will be released soon. Instead of sd card adapter in serial port, you can plug your external hard drive to a serial connector. Possible rival to GDEMU.

6BdlohOHS5A

SegaSonic91
04-11-2014, 03:22 PM
There's a thread on assembler about DCIO. I looked at it a few days ago and it seems they are now thinking of quiting DCIO because deunan decided to produce his product after saying it would not happen. OzOnE on assembler is the person working on DCIO with cybdyn, he was worried about how much the product will cost and if people will be interested etc. He said they hope for it to be around $120 but nothing is final. Personally, I hope DCIO comes out because what they are developing in terms of software and features seems better than the one in the video.

There is also a third guy working on a board, he was posting his progress in the assembler thread as well.

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?39733-quot-Let-s-make-GD-ROM-emulation-happen-quot-Facebook-group/page50

phoenix
04-12-2014, 10:33 AM
There's a thread on assembler about DCIO. I looked at it a few days ago and it seems they are now thinking of quiting DCIO because deunan decided to produce his product after saying it would not happen.

Would that be the GDEMU by deunan ?

OzOnE on assembler is the person working on DCIO with cybdyn, he was worried about how much the product will cost and if people will be interested etc. He said they hope for it to be around $120 but nothing is final. Personally, I hope DCIO comes out because what they are developing in terms of software and features seems better than the one in the video.

But if the guy working on GDEMU v4 left the DCIO project how will it come out ? And the IO like PSIO can't play CDDA yet.

There is also a third guy working on a board, he was posting his progress in the assembler thread as well.

Would that be 4 guys ?

phoenix
04-18-2014, 03:40 PM
Here is first review of GDEMU V5 on youtube. Unfortunately it's in polish, but you don't need to know that language for a quick view of installation and some tests.

This dude tested some GDI's, CDI's and Dreamshell (homebrew?) all worked good without problems or graphical glitches. The quality of product is very good, he's happy and recommend it. In 2nd part he's telling about posibility to add new switch button to PCB, (for backward selecting ROMs on SDcard). There is also LED thats indicates errors. That's basically all.

EL_A2f2PTTo

lQ3-1JCmLbA

Nice. So is this actually connected to the GDROM interface? (I don't really remember what any of these are called)
If so, that's awesome. Is there a tutorial for how to connect this stuff up? Also, CF should last at least a little longer than IDE, plus there are probably adapters from SD to CF. CF is I think more rugged than SD.
Totally worth looking into if DIYable.

Hmm, as I'm new to DC world please correct me if I'm wrong.

This solution needs G1-ATA adapter, to make it possible to connect normal ATA hard drive instead of GD-ROM that comes with DC, right? No external power needed(although it's strange, but external power is not a problem if needed in future as there are many solutions on ebay for that as fat as I know).

If I'm correct here's a question, is there any DIY instructions how to make G1-ATA adapter @ home?

I also am wondering that. I was under the impression that nobody had succeeded in doing anything with the G1 bus (if that's the GD ROM drive, as I'm understanding it to be.) Until the very recent GDEMU thing

What I need to know is, are there any instructables how to make this G1-to-IDE adapter? I saw some discussion on Assembler games forums but the topic is very long.

As I'm now here I'm not sure how is it going on. If it's ready and I can get some schematics to make it on my own(a friend of mine will help me with that); can you please provide me with the URL?

A small note. External power supply is needed only for HDD, if you use CF card, the power can be taken from DC.

:cool:

Lan Di
04-18-2014, 05:04 PM
This is great news. Hopefully it will be mass marketed like Krikzz's items.

EclecticGroove
04-18-2014, 05:51 PM
This is great news. Hopefully it will be mass marketed like Krikzz's items.

I just want more work like this done in general... it's probably the most worthwhile mod that can be done on the CD based consoles.

Seeing this kind of thing on the Sega CD and Saturn is what I want to see the most.

phoenix
04-19-2014, 11:39 AM
Wow the guy loaded dreamshell from gdemuv5, very cool. But why does he keep hitting that button, like a rest button on gdemuv5 ?

Anyway GDEMUv5 board vs Dreamshell 4 RC2 + Board + Your Hard Drive, it's on now ! Here are the schematics for new Dreamshell device.

http://www.dc-swat.ru/blog/hardware/874.html

Seeing this kind of thing on the Sega CD and Saturn is what I want to see the most.

Exactly. Although I'm just as pumped up he is almost done with gdemu for dc. Now all our Sega consoles could live for way longer.

Murphy245
04-19-2014, 12:28 PM
I need one,but what i would really like is a saturn one.

EclecticGroove
04-19-2014, 01:34 PM
Wow the guy loaded dreamshell from gdemuv5, very cool. But why does he keep hitting that button, like a rest button on gdemuv5 ?

Anyway GDEMUv5 board vs Dreamshell 4 RC2 + Board + Your Hard Drive, it's on now ! Here are the schematics for new Dreamshell device.

http://www.dc-swat.ru/blog/hardware/874.html

Exactly. Although I'm just as pumped up he is almost done with gdemu for dc. Now all our Sega consoles could live for way longer.

I could just imagine my sexy model 1 genny+ Sega CD with an sd card slot fashioned into the back or side of the CD unit. All the sexy with none of the drive unit.

phoenix
04-19-2014, 01:51 PM
Well I never typed "I could just imagine my sexy model 1 genny+ Sega CD with an sd card slot fashioned into the back or side of the CD unit. All the sexy with none of the drive unit." which appeared in your quote of me (ah just noticed that is what you were trying to type and you just edited your post), but I would simply insert the gdemusegacd sd card board where sega cd drive was. I could keep the tray there for aesthetics. The model 1 genesis and model 1 sega cd are badass. I only plug in 32 x when needed, but noticed picture quality is better on lcd monitor with it. Audio of course, is all front stereo out.

The model 1 sega cd is basically empty, if you remove the shields all it has is a small rear skinny sub ic power board, a side main board that isn't big and cd drive and tray with 1 or 2 boards on bottom of it. There is a huge empty space next to cd drive and under main board but that doesn't even matter because a gdemusega sd board could go where cd drive is unless those boards communicate with main board to have to get sd board to work. Which again, I would simply place it under main board and cut a small thin slot on side of sega cd to insert / take out sd card. Just in case a fat 32 error occurs on sd or sd card comes lose I wouldn't need to tear everything apart. Sort of a mod that was done to early dreamshell sd adapter dc's before the rear sd adapter became more "popular" or compact.

I'm actually selling many sega cd, genesis and 32x shields on ebay, to me they are not needed and after the sega fusion video no noticeable interference is happening as I just have those 3 systems and a monitor in that area of my room.

I don't really know how I could make back up sega cd's of my retail ones that would have perfect image iso of game and cdda audio to put on sd card. Most sega cd games aren't even 700 mb, so I could put all the sega cd good games on 1 sd card. However I could only put 20 dc games on 1 sd card. No room for emulators or homebrew, that would need a second sd card.

Cross
04-19-2014, 01:56 PM
This is cool and have to keep an eye on it. Going to have to get new a DC tho I aint modding my main one, no point really.

phoenix
04-19-2014, 02:00 PM
As long as you can find one that powers on but gd rom drive might be broke, you could buy one for like $5 plus $5 shipping. Not bad to have a dreamcast that would then work forever after buying this $200 gdemuv5 or $5 dreamshell 4 rc2 setup. I mean at least dreamshell 4 rc2 + board will have a menu, I don't see a menu for this gdemuv5. I'm not going to keep popping my dc lid open and hit a button on gdemu board to shuffle through different games blindly or different software. Plus $5 is cheaper than $200.

Cross
04-19-2014, 02:55 PM
I know a few pawn shops around me that have dreamcasts along with countless other systems I can get one for cheap, or a few if i really wanted, they are just super dirty and would need a really good cleaning lol.

phoenix
04-19-2014, 03:00 PM
lol, yes and getting one for so cheap and cleaning it up then getting a gdemu or ds board would be turning supposed trash into treasure. Nothing beats that. This would absolutely resurrect Saturn and Sega CD for us die hards. I could just put my vcd collection on a sd card to play it off Saturn or DC.

NeoVamp
04-19-2014, 04:03 PM
I could just put my vcd collection on a sd card to play it off Saturn or DC.

*looks at calender

nope.. it's not 1997 anymore.

*plays his 1080p mkv rips on his 42" plasma tv with his Dune HD Media Player with 4tb HD installed.

zyrobs
04-19-2014, 05:23 PM
I need one,but what i would really like is a saturn one.

Just out of interest, how many people here would buy a Saturn sd card loader?

phoenix
04-19-2014, 05:26 PM
*looks at calender

nope.. it's not 1997 anymore.

*plays his 1080p mkv rips on his 42" plasma tv with his Dune HD Media Player with 4tb HD installed.

Plasma tv ?, this ain't 2007 anymore. Damn don't pause anything your tv will be a an oversized picture holder. I just like watching my vcd collection on my Saturn like I did then, looks near dvd quality. Still like playing my 1989 genesis even though it's not 1989 anymore. Soon I'll just burn an image of vcd's on sd card for the "saturncdemuv5", hopefully. If I watch movies NOW it'll be off an led hd tv and be a 1080 avi. TB's ? I'm using PB hard drive that holds games and plugs into my dc, saturn and sega cd and those consoles don't even need their cd rom drives anymore ! Ooppss, looks at calender, it's not 2015 and I'm no longer in Hill Valley.

http://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com/2015.gif

"Just out of interest, how many people here would buy a Saturn sd card loader?"

I would right now ! And a sega cd one.

zyrobs
04-19-2014, 05:36 PM
Plasma tv ?, this ain't 2007 anymore. Damn don't pause anything your tv will be a an oversized picture holder.

Sounds like someone hasn't used a plasma since 2007. I have to keep the same picture in for about 50+ hours non stop for it to burn in, and even then it will eventually be washed out of the screen in half of that time. All that means is that I have to vary the game I play instead of sitting in front of the same game for multiple weeks (which is how I discovered this). This is on a 2010 plasma screen, which got 2-3 more generations after it, which increased quality even further and lowered heat output and power usage (mine still has cooling fans, all the later ones did not).

And in return I don't ever have to deal with ghosting, which is STILL plaguing all LCDs today; and with sed/fed development halted, it will plague them for many more years.

I would right now ! And a sega cd one.

You say you want one to hold all your video CDs, but what if it couldn't play those?

phoenix
04-19-2014, 06:07 PM
Sounds like someone hasn't used a plasma since 2007. I have to keep the same picture in for about 50+ hours non stop for it to burn in, and even then it will eventually be washed out of the screen in half of that time. All that means is that I have to vary the game I play instead of sitting in front of the same game for multiple weeks (which is how I discovered this). This is on a 2010 plasma screen, which got 2-3 more generations after it, which increased quality even further and lowered heat output and power usage (mine still has cooling fans, all the later ones did not).

And in return I don't ever have to deal with ghosting, which is STILL plaguing all LCDs today; and with sed/fed development halted, it will plague them for many more years.

My friend, I'm using a LED tv. I didn't know plasma tv quality increased though. I still wouldn't chance buying one though. I never saw ghosting even on my old lcd monitor from the 80's or my newer led tv. I do not wish to argue though, my post was kind of half joking anyway.

You say you want one to hold all your video CDs, but what if it couldn't play those?

If I couldn't play my vcd collection on a "saturncdemu" or "dcgdemu" board, that's fine. I really do like the quality of the saturn as a vcd player though. Just something about it. Maybe because I used to watch movies and play games on it way before people got used to that on a ps2 for example. I think I can turn my vcd's to avi then watch on dc through dreamshell o/s though. But yes, I would still love to have 32 classic Saturn games to play on 1 32 gb sd card and board than a failing saturn cd drive and my saturn games that are starting to decompose though, or dc for that matter. I could put all the games worth playing on another sd card as well for sega cd. Seriously, a saturn or sega cd version of this has been asked about for years, now the promise of it is just around the corner. I would gladly pay $500 for a triple deal of a sega cd, saturn and dcgdemu boards.

I didn't see this gdemuv5 playig homebrew like beats of rage type games though. Dreamshell is simply an o/s. But dreamshell 4 rc2 o/s + g1port adapter board could be a cheaper alternative. A new pcm board for that is being made now, which hopefully just holds o/s on card instead of needing it to boot off gd drive.

EclecticGroove
04-19-2014, 06:25 PM
Panny Plasma's are awesome... the picture quality difference between mine and the best LCD/LED TV's is HUGE. Just no comparison.

I'm sad to see Panasonic is out of the Plasma game, but OLED TV's look like they will be picking up where they left off.

zyrobs
04-19-2014, 07:10 PM
My friend, I'm using a LED tv. I didn't know plasma tv quality increased though. I still wouldn't chance buying one though. I never saw ghosting even on my old lcd monitor from the 80's or my newer led tv. I do not wish to argue though, my post was kind of half joking anyway.

You are not using a LED tv. LED screens do not exist. You are using a LCD tv that uses LED backlights. And yes, they have ghosting: play any scrolling game, and the screen will leave a ghost trail behind the moving objects. There is no LCD panel on the market I'm aware of that fixes this, even the high-end low response time displays have this issue.

xelement5x
04-19-2014, 07:48 PM

I would buy one, but it depends on how effective it is. If it can't play redbook or something then it's not as useful for Saturn stuff since plenty of Saturn games had redbook audio.

synbiosfan
04-19-2014, 08:07 PM

I know I would;)

NeoVamp
04-19-2014, 08:19 PM
I would buy whatever CD emulator/thingy they come up with, but I would prefer one that can be added
to the console instead of it replacing the laser unit all together.

EclecticGroove
04-19-2014, 08:24 PM
I would buy whatever CD emulator/thingy they come up with, but I would prefer one that can be added

I'd take either or, I just want it to work well and show no differences from the original disks other than positive ones.

phoenix
04-19-2014, 08:42 PM
You are not using a LED tv. LED screens do not exist. You are using a LCD tv that uses LED backlights.

In 2015, they exist, and I have one. I was sent back to give you news on these devices. Prototypes exist now though. http://www.technewsdaily.com/3624-sony-surprises-real-led-tv.html

"But what about our key question – Do the true LED TVs exist? Unfortunately the answer is ‘NO’, at least commercially. A normal LED backlit LCD TV usually integrates from 1500 to 2000 LEDs to illuminate the display panel. The full HD display panel comprises of approximately 2 million LCD units to represent as many individual pixels on the screen. So, the true full HD LED TV would be having around 2 million LEDs for the entire panel. As of now there is no commercially available LED TV in compliance with these requirements. These TVs as and when appear in the market would be much more costly than today’s LED TVs.

So we can conclude that there is no true LED TV which is currently available in the market. All the companies are simply selling LED backlit LCD TVs by quietly dropping the word ‘LCD’. Still if you are willing to purchase such a TV then go for the Local Dimming (LD) LED TV. This is the latest technology being integrated in LED TVs producing best possible picture quality and contrast ratios.

And yes, they have ghosting: play any scrolling game, and the screen will leave a ghost trail behind the moving objects. There is no LCD panel on the market I'm aware of that fixes this, even the high-end low response time displays have this issue.

I never saw a ghost image to the point it stays on my screen for forever on a lcd/led monitor or tv ever. I saw it on plasma tv's too much though.

At any rate, bring on these cd gd boards !

synbiosfan
04-19-2014, 08:43 PM

That is preferable but I have some with dead lasers that I've kept for parts that could now be used.

EclecticGroove
04-19-2014, 08:57 PM
I don't mind a replacement, so long as it is not a destructive replacement. It means I can pop in the laser at any time I want to use it, or even potentially set up a switch to have both hooked up.

phoenix
04-19-2014, 09:24 PM
I don't mind a replacement, so long as it is not a destructive replacement. It means I can pop in the laser at any time I want to use it, or even potentially set up a switch to have both hooked up.

The only way I'll buy a dcgdemu or any other sega cd systems cdemu is if it has a menu. Seriously. I'm not hitting a button 100 times to do stuff after I pay $200 for it. Yeah add a gd or sd switch too. You could easily put that small board under gd rom drive in back or front as long as a Y cable for g1 is created. That way hit a switch to chose gd drive or sd gdemu board. In menu, like dreamshell does, have "burn /game image to sd" option so you can make perfect back ups of retail games. Does this support cdda ?

Murphy245
04-20-2014, 12:33 PM

I think projects like this are very important,nearly every system now has its own flash cart but as for CD based systems the lasers are not going to last forever.

beebogates
08-15-2014, 08:07 AM
I totally would buy one. Or ten. I have a dozen Saturns lying around the house, all with dead lasers.
Come to think of it, I would buy a SegaCDII version too. they can't be that hard to make.
Idea: Instead of dispensing with the whole CD drive, why not build a replacement that plugs into the motor+CD interface? that way it would just receive the commands from the controller chip on which sector of the CD it needs to read, then just return that.

EclecticGroove
08-15-2014, 09:54 AM
I'd love a Saturn one as well, but the one I want the most is a Sega CD version. I'd love to hook one into my CDX and have the ultimate portable Sega Library. An SD card (or whatever type) loaded with Sega CD games + the everdrive is basically perfect to take anywhere.

AlmostOriginal
11-08-2014, 10:35 PM
Load times are sick!

cleeg
12-17-2014, 05:36 PM
Where can I buy one of these? I'm developing a DreamCast itch...

EDIT: I just saw this site...

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?49919-F-S-Dreamcast-Internal-SD-Mod

I imagine that this is also a method to boot games from an SD card via a GUI? Also, I assume that this is the same Helder from Sega 16's work too (PM'd)?

Cheers!

Murphy245
12-18-2014, 05:20 AM
Where can I buy one of these? I'm developing a DreamCast itch...

EDIT: I just saw this site...

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?49919-F-S-Dreamcast-Internal-SD-Mod

I imagine that this is also a method to boot games from an SD card via a GUI? Also, I assume that this is the same Helder from Sega 16's work too (PM'd)?

Cheers!

This is an sd loader that plugs into the serial port,the transfer times are slow making a lot of games unplayable.

tryphon
12-18-2014, 06:00 AM
IIRC, the main problem with this sd loader is that you still need the GD reader functionnal to boot the OS.

The internal-SD-Mod seems awesome (If I understand well, you completely remove the GDROM reader and replace it with a SD card reader ?) but is there a way to buy that and have it installed (I'm no hardware man) in Europa ?

cleeg
12-18-2014, 06:59 AM
Thanks Murphy245.

From what I've read the GDEMU replaces the disc drive wholesale. There's a Saturn one on the cards now too (I'm almost wetting myself here)...

https://gdemu.wordpress.com/

Built by the same person.

tryphon
12-18-2014, 07:15 AM
100 € :Panda:
I guess it's worth them. But it hurts...

cleeg
12-18-2014, 10:13 AM
^ I know! New ones should be coming out in 2015. I posted on the maker's Blog and he tells me that the device will not alter the region setting in any way. This article seems to contradict this however (near the bottom before the conclusion)...

http://www.retrocollect.com/Reviews/hardware-review-gdemu-sega-dreamcast-sd-card-iso-loading-disc-drive-replacement.html

... Now, with the Saturn, region and Hz have to be set with a discreet control each; whereas with the PS1 and Mega CD, changing the BIOS will automatically change the Hz speed.

I hate playing a game out of it's native region if it impacts on its performance. Is it as simple as adding an MD style Hz switch?

How does the DreamCast do it? Ala Saturn, or ala PS1 and MCD? I'm trying to look into all this before actually buying any consoles and stuff. I can't believe I haven't picked one of these up by now, what was I thinking?

ThugsRook
12-18-2014, 02:19 PM
there is going to be a serious problem ripping SEGA CDs. actually, there already is a serious problem ripping SEGA CDs. all the currently available BIN/CUE files are ripped incorrectly, all of them. (well ok not all of them, only the ones with CD audio)

the problem? there is a .06 second offset (starting with track03) that PC CD roms do not compensate for.

it is manually fixable tho thru the CUE sheet.

:)

Murphy245
12-18-2014, 02:23 PM
^ I know! New ones should be coming out in 2015. I posted on the maker's Blog and he tells me that the device will not alter the region setting in any way. This article seems to contradict this however (near the bottom before the conclusion)...

http://www.retrocollect.com/Reviews/hardware-review-gdemu-sega-dreamcast-sd-card-iso-loading-disc-drive-replacement.html

... Now, with the Saturn, region and Hz have to be set with a discreet control each; whereas with the PS1 and Mega CD, changing the BIOS will automatically change the Hz speed.

I hate playing a game out of it's native region if it impacts on its performance. Is it as simple as adding an MD style Hz switch?

How does the DreamCast do it? Ala Saturn, or ala PS1 and MCD? I'm trying to look into all this before actually buying any consoles and stuff. I can't believe I haven't picked one of these up by now, what was I thinking?

That article is wrong about making the dreamcast region free however there is a program called gdmenu which can patch all the files to whatever region you want,its a very buggy program but it works.

cleeg
12-18-2014, 02:29 PM
there is going to be a serious problem ripping SEGA CDs. actually, there already is a serious problem ripping SEGA CDs. all the currently available BIN/CUE files are ripped incorrectly, all of them. (well ok not all of them, only the ones with CD audio)

the problem? there is a .06 second offset (starting with track03) that PC CD roms do not compensate for.

it is manually fixable tho thru the CUE sheet.

:)

I seem to remember having this conversation with you before, I drastically altered my ripping technique since then by ditching ImgBurn and using Sega Cue Maker. Thanks for the tip!

Thanks Murphy245 for the further info.

cleeg
12-23-2014, 05:21 PM

Just a little bump for this question...

EDIT: Also, which is the best model of DC console to buy? I want one that will play burned copies off the bat (I know some don't, ? which) and I'm hoping that this will be a VA0 model as I can add a DCEmu board at a later date.

Thanks!

Murphy245
12-24-2014, 04:40 AM
Just a little bump for this question...

EDIT: Also, which is the best model of DC console to buy? I want one that will play burned copies off the bat (I know some don't, ? which) and I'm hoping that this will be a VA0 model as I can add a DCEmu board at a later date.

Thanks!

Im not sure what you are asking,nearly every pal dreamcast game runs at pal-60 so the whole 50/60hz thing is not an issue,the GD-EMU doesnt make the system region free but its irrelevant because you can patch all of the games you download to the same region as your dreamcast,The gd-emu website tells you which dreamcast is compatible : https://gdemu.wordpress.com/installation/

cleeg
12-24-2014, 06:47 PM
That's cool, thanks Murph. Just trying to get a handle on stuff before shelling out. I appreciate all your info.