PDA

View Full Version : Best Sonic game on the Saturn?

Guntz
07-22-2014, 02:43 AM
Here's a good one, which is the better Sonic game on the Saturn? Or favorite if you prefer that, most people don't consider any of them to be good. The games are:

Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic Jam
Sonic R

My favorite of those three is Sonic R. It's not quite Mario Kart, but I've always enjoyed it anyway.

ComradeOj
07-22-2014, 03:34 AM
Probably sonic jam.

Mostly because of the thing where you can run around that overworld and go into all the buildings.
It's disappointing that none of the graphics or music in the games were updated for saturn though.

Xalphenos
07-22-2014, 04:26 AM
most people don't consider any of them to be good.

HAHA. When I saw the thread title I immediately thought "There were no sonic games on saturn. Wait...there were no real sonic games on saturn."

I would have to go with Sonic R as well.

KitsuneNight
07-22-2014, 04:52 AM
sonic R

the controls are iffy but i like the music anyway
im crap at the racing it self so i usually play time trial mode

followed by sonic jam
all 4 sonic's and the sonci over world

sonic 3D is a very distant third

id rathe rplay sonic in crhistmast nights then that

GriskaGyoran
07-22-2014, 06:25 AM
I still say that Sonic R should have used that engine to make a real Sonic game in 3D, if you ask me it could have worked.

But my vote goes to Sonic Jam.

Zz Badnusty
07-22-2014, 09:18 AM
Gale Racer

Blades
07-22-2014, 09:34 AM
I liked Blast and R.

Jam sucked. Everyone loved it so I tracked a copy down maybe 10 years ago. It was more expensive than any other Saturn game I'd bought at that point. What I got was what I already had and a tech demo.

retrospiel
07-22-2014, 10:13 AM
They were all dissappointing. Sonic Jam was nice but should have been a launch title (or released shortly thereafter).

j_factor
07-22-2014, 10:45 AM
I still say that Sonic R should have used that engine to make a real Sonic game in 3D, if you ask me it could have worked.

Absolutely. The engine was very solid. But they just didn't have the resources and development time to make something like a Sonic Adventure. They were barely able to make a racing game, with a small number of tracks. Also Traveller's Tales didn't have any experience with 3D platformers (or 3D games in general), and their first, the following year's Rascal, sucked. So I'm not sure I'd have trusted them to make a good 3D Sonic game. But maybe we could've had Traveller's Tales develop the engine and the boss fights or something, with another developer on the main game. Except that would require Sega to spend more money.

Blades
07-22-2014, 02:05 PM
Absolutely. The engine was very solid. But they just didn't have the resources and development time to make something like a Sonic Adventure. They were barely able to make a racing game, with a small number of tracks. Also Traveller's Tales didn't have any experience with 3D platformers (or 3D games in general), and their first, the following year's Rascal, sucked. So I'm not sure I'd have trusted them to make a good 3D Sonic game. But maybe we could've had Traveller's Tales develop the engine and the boss fights or something, with another developer on the main game. Except that would require Sega to spend more money.

I really liked TT's Toy Story 2 PC platfomer when it came out in '99.

I think the Sonic R engine was built for cars more than a platformer. The characters can drift for baby jesus' sake.

Sonic R was a very polished, if short, 3D game, surprising for both 1997 and the Saturn. I really like it, though I played it on PC when it was new, which had a few nice additions.

KitsuneNight
07-22-2014, 02:20 PM
sonic R plays a lot like the all stars racing games
only in the all stars racing games is the drifting actually polished in the sonic R games i barley fdeel in control of my racer

i usuually choose amy because at least the controls arent that slippery and barley controllable with her

sonic R needed some extra polish

Bibin
07-22-2014, 02:53 PM
I'm probably in the minority here, but I think Sonic R is a very poorly presented game with terrible character handling. The environments look pretty good and they did an okay job working with the Saturn's limitations, but aside from that I can't think of anything good to say about the game.

Blades
07-22-2014, 03:26 PM
No game plays quite like R, I can see how difficult it could be at first. Being a kid afforded me with the time necessary to become proficient. I will destroy any challenger in R.

Isn't it funny how games you played as a very young boy become almost ingrained in you. You can fly through all the levels almost by instinct only these days.

Also the music rocked.

SUPA SONIC RACING.

Zebbe
07-22-2014, 03:30 PM
Tough one! A compilation, an enhanced port or a piece of shit... hmmmm! I have to go with Sonic 3D Blast. The graphics are considerably better than the MD version and the "new" bonus levels improve it a bit too.

It blows my mind why Sega didn't try harder with Sonic on the Saturn. The Sonic X-streme fiasco is completely unbelievable when you read about it and once again proves that the higher-ups on Sega in the mid-90s were complete morons.

zetastrike
07-22-2014, 03:38 PM
It's hard to decide. I like all of them. I've always been a big fan of 3D blast, so that probably gets my vote. Jam is one of the best compilations I've played and Sonic R is Sonic R, love it or loathe it (I love it).

But 3D Blast is probably my favorite.

Obviously
07-22-2014, 08:23 PM
I'd have to go with 3D Blast even though I don't really like it much.

Sonic R is just really terrible to me and Sonic Jam is neat but it's ultimately a dolled up compilation.

sheath
07-22-2014, 09:09 PM
Sonic R for me, that was the best Christmas gift since Sonic CD and I pretty well like everything about it. I have played all the way through it and unlocked every character in the Saturn, PC and Gamecube Gem's collection and still prefer the Saturn version. I just wish Sega had stuck with the Saturn for another year and released another Sonic R, or a regular Sonic game with the same engine.

TrekkiesUnite118
07-22-2014, 09:13 PM
I'd say a tie between Sonic R and Sonic Jam. I really enjoyed playing Sonic R and I loved the Sonic World aspect of Jam. Also when I got Sonic Jam I didn't have all the Genesis Sonic titles, so having all 4 on one disc was a plus for me.

DJ_Convoy
07-23-2014, 12:03 AM
Dunno why Sonic R gets so much hate; I liked it a lot. Certainly more than I liked 3D Blast.

gamevet
07-23-2014, 12:25 AM
I'm probably in the minority here, but I think Sonic R is a very poorly presented game with terrible character handling. The environments look pretty good and they did an okay job working with the Saturn's limitations, but aside from that I can't think of anything good to say about the game.

I'm with you on that. Sonic R was one of the titles that I'd traded-in at Gamestop, when I was trying to get enough credit to pay for my Dreamcast at launch. I kind of regret that decision, but I didn't find the title to be all that fun to play.

Baloo
07-23-2014, 12:42 AM
Count me in for Sonic R. I played the absolute heck out of that game. Loved how detailed the 3D tracks were, and the soundtrack was so good. Draw distance was kind of bad (It's a lot better on PC) but still one of my favorite games for some reason. I had a lot of fun finding the secrets in that game. Only wish it was longer!

Also, Sonic 3D Blast was developed by Traveller's Tales so I have a hard time believing they could have done similar with the Sonic R engine but in a platformer/adventure kind of way. I agree that a game like that could have saved the Saturn, still baffles me how the system didn't get a "real" Sonic game. How did Knuckles Chaotix not even make it to the Saturn?

Guntz
07-23-2014, 01:50 AM
Count me in for Sonic R. I played the absolute heck out of that game. Loved how detailed the 3D tracks were, and the soundtrack was so good. Draw distance was kind of bad (It's a lot better on PC) but still one of my favorite games for some reason. I had a lot of fun finding the secrets in that game. Only wish it was longer!

I first played Sonic R on PC, yeah it's an awesome game. It's best in a 4 player network though.

That of course, was with ridiculously overpowered hardware with all graphic elements turned to high. In recent time I've had the opportunity to play Sonic R on something a lot more contemporary (Socket 7 AMD K6-2 400MHz, Voodoo 1, SoundBlaster-16, etc). On hardware this old, you have to run the game at 512x348 (or something like that) with medium fog. The color depth, screen resolution and even fog are still better than on Saturn, but not worlds better like what some people are accustomed to.

Also, Sonic 3D Blast was developed by Traveller's Tales so I have a hard time believing they could have done similar with the Sonic R engine but in a platformer/adventure kind of way. I agree that a game like that could have saved the Saturn, still baffles me how the system didn't get a "real" Sonic game. How did Knuckles Chaotix not even make it to the Saturn?

As demonstrated in this thread, regardless of the insane reasons why, the lack of Sonic greatly contributed to the Saturn's failure. Even if you think Sonic isn't all that great, Sonic sold Genesis systems better than anything Sega had. The idea of just tossing that away with the Saturn was just horrible business sense. How can anyone disregard the success of Mario from NES to SNES? The same thing happened to Sonic on the Genesis. People love a mascot they can recognize and know they'll get a good game from every time. Not putting Sonic on the Saturn was just bad.

There should have been a port of Knuckles Chaotix in 1995 and Sonic X-Treme in 96. Unfortunately, Sonic R was just too late to have been a candidate for Sonic 4. Somewhere though, I think there really ought to have been a Sonic on Saturn in 1994 at launch. Maybe Sonic CD?

sheath
07-23-2014, 10:01 AM

By the time Sonic 3D Blast and Knuckles Chaotix were on the market Edge/Next Gen were blowing full steam on the texture mapped 3D craze. I suppose this is a reflection of public opinion in the West as well. It wouldn't surprise me if SoA looked at Knuckle's Chaotix press reviews and decided it wasn't worth up porting to the Saturn because it wasn't 3D and the bonus rounds were slow/non-textured. This is the same group that almost turned down Gunstar Heroes, if it wasn't for Scot Bayless, just because it didn't have double height sprites. They still looked at games like marketers of toys would, and probably made most cost related decisions on superficial facts, not gameplay.

Obviously no group made decision process can be simplified to a static rule, but this definitely seems to be the post 1994 Sega process to me. Fortunately SoJ really, REALLY, believed in its Model 2 Arcade games.

zetastrike
07-23-2014, 11:10 AM
There should have been a port of Knuckles Chaotix in 1995 and Sonic X-Treme in 96. Unfortunately, Sonic R was just too late to have been a candidate for Sonic 4. Somewhere though, I think there really ought to have been a Sonic on Saturn in 1994 at launch. Maybe Sonic CD?

This. A souped up port of Sonic CD at launch would have made some sense. Make it higher color/higher res, scaling/rotation effects ingame, and maybe toss another zone or two in the game and add Tails. It would've been a bit more relevant than Jam because not as many people got to play Sonic CD when it was current than the Genesis titles.

stu
07-23-2014, 02:48 PM
By the time Sonic 3D Blast and Knuckles Chaotix were on the market Edge/Next Gen were blowing full steam on the texture mapped 3D craze. I suppose this is a reflection of public opinion in the West as well. It wouldn't surprise me if SoA looked at Knuckle's Chaotix press reviews and decided it wasn't worth up porting to the Saturn because it wasn't 3D and the bonus rounds were slow/non-textured. This is the same group that almost turned down Gunstar Heroes, if it wasn't for Scot Bayless, just because it didn't have double height sprites. They still looked at games like marketers of toys would, and probably made most cost related decisions on superficial facts, not gameplay.

Obviously no group made decision process can be simplified to a static rule, but this definitely seems to be the post 1994 Sega process to me. Fortunately SoJ really, REALLY, believed in its Model 2 Arcade games.

I find that highlighted bit pretty inaccurate tbh. As far back as late 1993 a lot of the magazines were going nuts over the potential of 3D, I recall a lot of the magazine features on the 3DO salivating at the prospect of 3D graphics and texture mapping. You can try and blame (and hate on) Edge/Next Gen magazine for a lot of things if you choose, but I would say that most of the magazines I read in the UK were extremely excited about the prospect of 3D games and Edge wasn't the only one.

Staying on topic. I would have to say its a tie between Sonic R and Sonic Jam for me, I played and finished Sonic 3D on the Megadrive and had no desire to plough through it again on the Saturn. Pretty slim pickings as far as good Sonic games go on the Saturn.

TrekkiesUnite118
07-23-2014, 07:53 PM
While it's not my favorite Sonic title on the Saturn I really did enjoy 3D Blast on the Saturn. The redone Soundtrack and the 3D Special Stages really were wonderful:

c-hGcl-Z7K4

gamevet
07-23-2014, 10:38 PM
While it's not my favorite Sonic title on the Saturn I really did enjoy 3D Blast on the Saturn. The redone Soundtrack and the 3D Special Stages really were wonderful:

c-hGcl-Z7K4

Do you think that 3D Blast might have been a bigger hit for the Saturn, if the Genesis version didn't exist?

TrekkiesUnite118
07-24-2014, 12:08 AM
Do you think that 3D Blast might have been a bigger hit for the Saturn, if the Genesis version didn't exist?

Maybe? Though it would still be the quirky spin off that it is. Maybe there was a chance that as a Saturn exclusive that may have been overlooked more than it was as a late Genesis title?

Blades
07-24-2014, 08:43 AM
That of course, was with ridiculously overpowered hardware with all graphic elements turned to high. In recent time I've had the opportunity to play Sonic R on something a lot more contemporary (Socket 7 AMD K6-2 400MHz, Voodoo 1, SoundBlaster-16, etc). On hardware this old, you have to run the game at 512x348 (or something like that) with medium fog. The color depth, screen resolution and even fog are still better than on Saturn, but not worlds better like what some people are accustomed to.

I played R when it was new (well maybe '99) on my dad's (admittedly tuned) Pentium PC with a Voodoo3. It ran very well with Direct3D. DirectDraw had different lighting if I remember correctly.

How did you get it to run on a modern PC? When we upgraded to an XP machine in 2002 I could never get R or 3D Blast to work again, the CD audio wouldn't play.

I spent a lot of my childhood listening to the solitary VWOOMP VWOOMP VWOOMP of Tails' tails.

I first played Sonic R on PC, yeah it's an awesome game. It's best in a 4 player network though.

http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s451/apples555/528_zps527aa506.gif

Obviously
07-24-2014, 11:20 AM
Maybe? Though it would still be the quirky spin off that it is. Maybe there was a chance that as a Saturn exclusive that may have been overlooked more than it was as a late Genesis title?

I doubt it would have made much of a difference really. As you said it would still be Sonic 3D Blast. It still wouldn't have been the true sequel people wanted.

Jeckidy
07-24-2014, 11:41 AM
I didn't appreciate S3DB until I completed the Genesis version, which is still my preferred version of the game. I did enjoy Sonic R very much and have 100% it many times, due to its brevity. But regardless, it's very fun. Sonic Jam is the best Sonic Compilation I've played besides the Gamecube version of Mega Collection. It gets points over said game in the sense that it has some very obscure and intriguing bonus content, as well as having Blue Sphere/S2&K/S3&K available from the start. The only problem IMHO is the occasional slowdown which I always thought resulted from an added refresh rate mechanism rather than too much being on the screen.

Modelboard4
07-24-2014, 11:47 AM
sonic 5, its a secret and only Yuji Naka and Naoto Ōshima yet me play, I asked the ultimate question if tales has two tales does he have two bum holes

Alexrd
07-24-2014, 12:13 PM
Sonic R. Got the PC version back in '98 and until Generations it was the last Sonic game I actually enjoyed.

Blades
07-24-2014, 02:17 PM
sonic 5, its a secret and only Yuji Naka and Naoto Ōshima yet me play, I asked the ultimate question if tales has two tales does he have two bum holes

LOL. I'm surprised the answer isn't 42.

It's worth mentioning the PC versions of both these games suck. The emerald raceway isn't transparent (ironically) and there are no clouds in the Ruins, among other things.

I have heard there's a mythical save function in S3DB PC. I haven't been able to find it in 16 years.

Guntz
07-24-2014, 03:19 PM
It's worth mentioning the PC versions of both these games suck. The emerald raceway isn't transparent (ironically) and there are no clouds in the Ruins, among other things.

4 player support, LAN networking, higher color depth, better resolution, better draw distance and weather conditions made Sonic R worse?

zetastrike
07-24-2014, 03:21 PM
^Yeah, I miss the rain and snow from the PC version I used to have.

Alexrd
07-24-2014, 03:51 PM
and there are no clouds in the Ruins

Yes, there are:

http://s17.postimg.org/s0uck6yov/Sonic_R_2014_07_24_20_46_36_39.png

4 player support, LAN networking, higher color depth, better resolution, better draw distance and weather conditions made Sonic R worse?

Not to mention general bug fixes.

Blades
07-24-2014, 04:07 PM
No there aren't.

Saturn

http://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/l/41279-sonic-3d-blast-sega-saturn-screenshot-the-rusty-ruin-stage.jpg

PC

http://info.sonicretro.org/images/6/64/S3D3.PNG

From Retro about 3DB

The original PC version of the game was a scaled down port of the Saturn entry, removing the weather effects and replacing the Special Stage once more with a toned-down recreation of the half-pipe. However, this was the only version to contain a save game feature.

From Retro about SR

-The Saturn and software rendered versions use addition to calculate lighting. This allows for much more dramatic lighting and changing to color of a texture. (Blue light on red shows blue.)The hardware rendered PC version and Gems version uses multiplication for calculating lighting. (Blue light on red shows black.) Since the game's lighting was designed for additive lighting, the track appears subdued on the hardware rendered and Gems versions.

-The software rendered PC version has ripples done that same way as the Saturn version, but is missing the visible water surface and wave shading. The Gems Collection version animates water in a similar way.

-The hardware rendered PC version is missing the features that the software version misses, as well as the background reflecting by a slightly darkened, wobbling texture.

-The Saturn and Gems versions have ambient sound effects for torches, waterfalls, and seasides

-In the Saturn version, the instrumental tunes are longer, they're mysteriously truncated in the PC version.

Split dawg yo.

I will concede the weather effects are awesome as are the time of day changes.

4 player support sounds awesome also. How does that work?

Not to mention general bug fixes.

A Sega PC game has bug fixes? I don't buy it.

Alexrd
07-24-2014, 04:21 PM
No there aren't.

Split dawg yo.

I assume you didn't saw the screenshot I posted? And for the sake of clarity, why did you specify that the cloud problem was on Sonic 3D instead of Sonic R?

4 player support sounds awesome also. How does that work?

Direct TCP/IP connection.

A Sega PC game has bug fixes? I don't buy it.

Doesn't change the fact that the PC version of Sonic R had bugfixes.

Blades
07-24-2014, 04:37 PM
I assume you didn't saw the screenshot I posted?

I can ask you the same question.

I thought it was pretty clear I was talking about 3DB.

Doesn't change the fact that the PC version of Sonic R had bugfixes.

Sonic R PC was more buggy than the Saturn version. You could stand on walls if I remember correctly, which you weren't able to do in the Saturn version. Not to mention all the lighting problems.

Direct TCP/IP connection.

Is that still possible?

Speaking of bugs, I have a network patch on my Sonic R CD which does one thing and that is crash the game.

sheath
07-24-2014, 04:55 PM
VDP2 seemed to be too much for PC hardware to handle. ;p Sega PC ports seemed to require way too much hardware prowess in general, and it wasn't until Sonic R that I found one I actually wanted to play through for the differences and improvements. No translucent level, yes weather effects and longer draw distance were okay by me. I need to test this out on my shiny brand new m3D PowerVR PCX2, I think that is what I had when I first bought the PC version.

I eventually bought and played through the PC versions of the Sonic & Knuckles Collection and Sonic CD, but never even tested Sonic 3D Blast. After owning 3D Blast on Saturn and trading it, I ended up preferring the Genesis version for its music and special rounds. I wonder if the PC version is more like the Genesis or Saturn versions.

Guntz
07-24-2014, 05:09 PM
Is that still possible?

Speaking of bugs, I have a network patch on my Sonic R CD which does one thing and that is crash the game.

Yes, you just connect your PCs to a LAN router and set up a network game.

VDP2 seemed to be too much for PC hardware to handle. ;p

You forget that Saturn games run directly on the hardware. Sega PC ports run on top of Windows, which isn't very efficient.

Alexrd
07-24-2014, 05:13 PM
I can ask you the same question.

What?! You didn't post any screenshot before your last post with the comparison. How was I supposed to assume you were talking about Sonic 3D?

I thought it was pretty clear I was talking about 3DB.

Not quite. You said "The emerald raceway isn't transparent (ironically) and there are no clouds in the Ruins, among other things", which implies you're talking about two problems on the same game and only Sonic R has the Emerald track. What I don't understand is the long post with pictures about Sonic 3D when it was pretty clear I was assuming you were talking about Sonic R (hence the screenshot of Regal Ruin). A simple "I was talking about 3DB" would have sufficed.

Sonic R PC was more buggy than the Saturn version. You could stand on walls if I remember correctly, which you weren't able to do in the Saturn version.

You can stand on ropes, which isn't a bug (on the contrary).

Not to mention all the lighting problems.

Such as...?

Is that still possible?

It may need some work, but I suppose so. If it isn't, there always local 4 player split-screen.

Then unninstall it. There are many possibilities that can cause that problem, it's not necessarily a bug with the game (in fact, it isn't. Otherwise the problem would remain even without that optional patch).

sheath
07-24-2014, 05:23 PM
You forget that Saturn games run directly on the hardware. Sega PC ports run on top of Windows, which isn't very efficient.

Actually, I was just kidding, hence the stupid face. I am fairly confident that a Pentium with a decent 2D card with at least 4MB of VRAM could run any Saturn or PS1 game if it was properly ported. That last point is the main issue, and if the target PC was supposed to have the latest PowerVR tech or whatever it gets even more complicated. Still, I played Sonic R in 1998 on my PC and it ran fine. It was Virtua Fighter, Daytona, Sega Rally and the rest of the Sega games I had to wait for or find specific CPUs to run right.

Jeckidy
07-24-2014, 06:13 PM
I wonder if the PC version is more like the Genesis or Saturn versions.

It's the same as the Saturn version with a few exceptions such as a different special stage (kind of a hybrid of the Genesis and Saturn ones), weather effects removed, and the option to save. Yes, you can actually save in the game.

TrekkiesUnite118
07-24-2014, 06:15 PM
Sega in general pretty much sucks at PC gaming development. For example Phantasy Star Online and Phantasy Star Universe required rather beefy computers just to get decent performance. If you wanted rock solid 30 or 60fps depending on which one you were playing, you needed a rather beefy PC.

As for Sonic R, I prefer the Saturn version. The wacky lighting in the PC version really gives me a hard time being colorblind. There's parts in Radiant Emerald where I flat out can't see the track.

Blades
07-24-2014, 09:08 PM
Yes, you just connect your PCs to a LAN router and set up a network game.

How do you set up a network game? There's no network option in SR. It just waits for people to join.

Not quite. You said "The emerald raceway isn't transparent (ironically) and there are no clouds in the Ruins, among other things", which implies you're talking about two problems on the same game and only Sonic R has the Emerald track. What I don't understand is the long post with pictures about Sonic 3D when it was pretty clear I was assuming you were talking about Sonic R (hence the screenshot of Regal Ruin). A simple "I was talking about 3DB" would have sufficed.

Not necessarily. We were talking about two different games.

Clearly, it didn't suffice.

Such as...?

-The Saturn and software rendered versions use addition to calculate lighting. This allows for much more dramatic lighting and changing to color of a texture. (Blue light on red shows blue.)The hardware rendered PC version and Gems version uses multiplication for calculating lighting. (Blue light on red shows black.) Since the game's lighting was designed for additive lighting, the track appears subdued on the hardware rendered and Gems versions.

sheath
07-24-2014, 09:19 PM
It's the same as the Saturn version with a few exceptions such as a different special stage (kind of a hybrid of the Genesis and Saturn ones), weather effects removed, and the option to save. Yes, you can actually save in the game.

Thanks, I will have to give it a shot then. I was initially really excited about 3D Blast on Saturn, but I was imagining something more like the Isometric Arcade game. I also figured they had worked out the kinks with the Game Gear game of similar style. Neither ended up being the case.

TrekkiesUnite118
07-24-2014, 09:21 PM
Thanks, I will have to give it a shot then. I was initially really excited about 3D Blast on Saturn, but I was imagining something more like the Isometric Arcade game. I also figured they had worked out the kinks with the Game Gear game of similar style. Neither ended up being the case.

Well if you didn't like the Isometric portion of 3D Blast on the Genesis or Saturn you're probably not going to like it on the PC. Missing weather effects and different Special Stages aside, it's still 3D Blast.

Guntz
07-24-2014, 10:04 PM
How do you set up a network game? There's no network option in SR. It just waits for people to join.

You apply this patch. It works fine for me in Windows 98SE.

https://www.mediafire.com/?m32cod64vyyrn2c

Alexrd
07-25-2014, 05:33 AM
Not necessarily. We were talking about two different games.

But the quote implies you were talking about two issues for one game, which is why a mere "I'm talking about Sonic 3D" would be enough to clarify. Your explanation regarding the clouds on Sonic 3D is irrelevant when I assumed you were talking about Sonic R (the screenshot I posted was hard to miss).

Clearly, it didn't suffice.

It would have sufficed for the Ruins discussion. No need for cheap strawmen.

Regarding the lighting, it's a problem exclusive to the hardware rendering, not to the software rendering (PC has both).

Blades
07-25-2014, 04:42 PM
You apply this patch. It works fine for me in Windows 98SE.

https://www.mediafire.com/?m32cod64vyyrn2c

I'm excited. Now to find people willing to play Sonic R.

But the quote implies you were talking about two issues for one game, which is why a mere "I'm talking about Sonic 3D" would be enough to clarify. Your explanation regarding the clouds on Sonic 3D is irrelevant when I assumed you were talking about Sonic R (the screenshot I posted was hard to miss).

It does not. We were talking about two games so it only makes sense my two complaints would apply to the two games we were discussing.

Regarding the lighting, it's a problem exclusive to the hardware rendering, not to the software rendering (PC has both).

Even the software renderer doesn't draw the emerald track with transparency like the Saturn does. Granted, the PC track has cool pulsating colors. (DISCLAIMER: I AM TALKING OF SONIC R).

Alexrd
07-25-2014, 05:38 PM
It does not. We were talking about two games so it only makes sense my two complaints would apply to the two games we were discussing.

But since you didn't specify (aside from the Emerald track problem which was obviously from Sonic R) which game you were talking about regarding the Ruin problem, the quote is open to interpretation.

Even the software renderer doesn't draw the emerald track with transparency like the Saturn does.

Who's even talking about transparency?! The lighting issue you quoted has nothing to do with it.

(DISCLAIMER: I AM TALKING OF SONIC R).

*Sigh*

Blades
07-26-2014, 02:26 PM
But since you didn't specify (aside from the Emerald track problem which was obviously from Sonic R) which game you were talking about regarding the Ruin problem, the quote is open to interpretation.

Who's even talking about transparency?! The lighting issue you quoted has nothing to do with it.

http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s451/apples555/tumblr_mj08bwHyMf1rclqbuo6_250_zps4ca738f6.gif

You've bested me.

KnightWarrior
07-26-2014, 02:57 PM
Sonic Jam for me

Lync
11-25-2019, 12:55 AM
-Pardon the bump, I'm experiencing one of my intense Sonic-phases at the moment-

Sonic R is the best Sonic game on the Saturn. I've shared my criticisms of the game elsewhere on the forum, but the good far outweighs it; You are not going to find any other Sonic game so uniquely part of the Saturn library and of the classic Sonic series as you will with R. It's just such a delight.

Sonic Jam is my runner-up. I love the 3D hub world and loaded history/archived/trivia of Sonic that Jam has to offer. It is a real collector's piece. Having said that, if you already own the original Genesis titles, I can't see how Jam outflanks R. Maybe if they had included Sonic CD? Maybe if they threw on some of the Game Gear titles? It's a solid compilation, but just shy of perfect.

I am not a fan of Sonic 3D Blast. The special stages are cool, but outside of that this is alien. For the Genesis I can understand this game being impressive, but on Saturn it's obvious filler - If some form of Sonic X-Treme been released, we wouldn't have seen 3D Blast on Saturn. Not to mention that I think the Genesis version had the better tracks. From the intro to the credits, Genesis version nailed it. I still listen to it despite my bitterness for this title:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RxPKpmlkxQ&list=PL2B69BAADE72B245D&index=18

zyrobs
11-25-2019, 05:41 AM
Sonic R was fine, the controls were okay as long as you used the shoulder buttons for cornering. The character balance was poor and it really could've used more levels, but the unlockables make up for that (however the hidden characters do screw up the balance even more).

That said, the balance kind of does not matter since multiplayer is unplayable due to the extremely short draw distance. It's as bad as Turok on the N64, maybe even worse.

Sonic 3d was meh, and sonic jam was just an apology release for the lack of backwards compatibility, neither of them matter.

Mega Drive Bowlsey
11-25-2019, 07:37 AM
Sonic Jam for me. It's more than just a compilation, it's like a celebration of all things Sonic. It doesn't make up for the fact that the Saturn never got a bona fide major Sonic title, but it's still a great addition to the system's library.

Heresy Dragon
12-06-2019, 09:12 AM
1. Sonic Jam
Four of the best Sonic games ever made plus the impressive Sonic world museum and it's challenging missions. Apart from the absence of Sonic CD and a few minor differences in the original games, this is the perfect Sonic package.

2. Sonic R
A really unique and fun racing game with Sonic characters that captures the essence of the original series but take it in a new direction. More than just a racer, it includes the exploration elements of the original games, making it a unique title. However, it's very easy to complete, even on hard, and could have done with a few more tracks. Nonetheless, this is great game. And those lyrics are very catchy.

3. Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island
A Sonic game that focuses on exploration rather than speed. Thankfully I really enjoyed that aspect of the original games. Despite being a slower affair, the game can still be enjoyed, although the isometric perspective and slippery controls can make it difficult to hit objects and control Sonic, respectively. The special stages are awesome and I love Richard Jacques' soundtrack. Fun if you like Sonic or platformers, but far from an essential title.