PDA

View Full Version : Elysian Shadows (Dreamcast) Kickstarter

retrospiel
08-02-2014, 07:09 PM
Guys, if you can please support my friends from the Elysian Shadows Team with their upcoming Dreamcast RPG:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1945059142/elysian-shadows-next-gen-2d-rpg

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/002/348/060/9d00f194aac4bd2e3df73fb9c2634077_large.jpg?1406535 721 (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1945059142/elysian-shadows-next-gen-2d-rpg)

JumpingRyle
08-02-2014, 07:20 PM
Judging by the Shovel Knight thread, I'd say prepare for incoming nerd rage about "16-bit graphics with dynamic light/shadows" etc.

Anyway, it looks interesting.

Obviously
08-02-2014, 08:06 PM
Judging by the Shovel Knight thread, I'd say prepare for incoming nerd rage about "16-bit graphics with dynamic light/shadows" etc.

But it's for a Sega console so everyone will ignore that and love it by default. :lol:

Always great to see new Dreamcast titles that aren't shoot 'em ups. I love that genre way more than I love RPGs but still... a little variety is good.

Yharnamresident
08-03-2014, 02:28 AM
Someone needs to make a meme with the following text:

"The Dreamcast is a console with 26 MBs of RAM, 5:1 texture compression, 128-bit vector engine.

Only useful for 2D games."

Guntz
08-03-2014, 02:47 AM
http://cdn.meme.li/instances/500x/53234567.jpg

Yharnamresident
08-03-2014, 04:16 AM
Apply cold water to burned area.

Yharnamresident
08-03-2014, 04:20 AM
Actually I should've watched the video first, they are taking some advantage of the Dreamcast power.

retrospiel
08-03-2014, 07:35 AM
Well, 2d is timeless while 3d will look dated even if done well.

matteus
08-03-2014, 08:57 AM
I said my piece about this on SEGAbits...

From the videos I've seen the only impression I get from this group is that they are typical hobby game programmers, who have loads of neat ideas week to week and implement them in their engine, whilst persistently improving and rewriting but never actually finishing a game or its engine from start to finish.

Also the unprofessional-ism in the videos concerns me! Swearing and referring to the audience as “bitches” does not echo with me as being a group who take their work seriously or professionally it just raises alarm bells!

I wished them the best of luck and wait to see if they can prove me wrong

retro nick
08-03-2014, 09:12 AM

No rage here, the SpriteLamp is pretty cool tech, I'm just not sure how I feel about the "3D" view that some of the scenes are done in. All of the sprites are really squished. It looks odd to me.
But am I upset that this is a "Neo-Retro" type game? Not at all. And the soundtrack that they have so far is pretty nice.

retrospiel
08-04-2014, 11:19 AM
As far as I understand the 3D view is entirely optional. :)

Kamahl
08-04-2014, 11:47 AM
Totally not the same as the Shovel Knight thread. Pixel Art is not wrong, claiming to take NES graphics into account and... not taking NES graphics into account is.

I will have to repeat this though, it would be nice to see some damn 3D dreamcast games.

http://cdn.meme.li/instances/500x/53234567.jpg

NeoVamp
08-04-2014, 12:46 PM
I'm just not sure how I feel about the "3D" view that some of the scenes are done in.

It reminds me of the the optional "3D" view (http://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/l/61703-knights-of-xentar-dos-screenshot-you-can-change-the-map-type.png) that Knights of Xentar allowed. :D

JumpingRyle
08-04-2014, 02:02 PM
Totally not the same as the Shovel Knight thread. Pixel Art is not wrong, claiming to take NES graphics into account and... not taking NES graphics into account is.

Well, people were bitching about Shovel Knight using the terms "8-bit" and "NES" to cash in on some retro gaming craze, and the Elysian Shadows Kickstarter starts off with "Redefining the oldschool 16-bit RPG" yet it is completely different from 16 bit RPGs, so I kind of expected the same criticism. But I realize people were complaining about Shovel Knight for a variety of other reasons as well.

As for 3D games, I think they just take resources and time that indie developers might not have. I don't know anything about DC development, but are there 3D development tools available? Making a 3D engine from scratch seems pretty daunting.

Kamahl
08-04-2014, 02:29 PM
As for 3D games, I think they just take resources and time that indie developers might not have. I don't know anything about DC development, but are there 3D development tools available? Making a 3D engine from scratch seems pretty daunting.
That's pretty much the problem yes, but it would be cool to see.

Bottino
08-04-2014, 06:59 PM

Yes.

I will have to repeat this though, it would be nice to see some damn 3D dreamcast games.

I don't know much about this, but don't they need some more advanced dev kits to make such games?

Anyway, i'm just happy to see new games coming out for the DC.

JumpingRyle
08-04-2014, 07:38 PM
But it's for a Sega console so everyone will ignore that and love it by default. :lol:

:lol: so true

Zebbe
08-04-2014, 08:10 PM
Why would a small team make a 3D engine for the Dreamcast on their first attempt? Makes no sense at all.

retro nick
08-04-2014, 08:12 PM

Why? 3D games for the Dreamcast already exist.

Well, 2d is timeless while 3d will look dated even if done well.

This.

Bibin
08-04-2014, 08:16 PM
I feel really mixed about this.

On the one hand, I like some of the bigger portrait art assets. I also am totally into the idea of making a funded game that can be played on the Dreamcast. Some of the particle affects look like they were done reasonably well. A lot of the backdrop art looks quite nice too, especially on the TJE-style islands in the sky-part at 0:36 of the Kickstarter video.

From the video, though, it just seems like there is a lot to be determined stylistically. The various walk cycles I saw for the characters just look incomplete. My point here isn't to bash the animator, but the character animations need to be re-done. Right now it is trapped in a state where it looks like a Game Maker or MMF game - pixel graphics that look designed for a low resolution with way too much of a 'canvas' area, jerky non-aligned animations, kind of random blend effects, and completely unstyled text boxes.

Somewhere in that video the developer is talking about taking the old, "16-bit" style gaming and bringing it up-to-date, or making it "more relevant". This just doesn't give me the sense that what is being understood is what is important. The camera zooming in and out causes all kinds of nearest-neighbor disasters on the backdrops and sprites, where one pixel is not the same size as its neighbor. I can't tell from the video, but it would be no shock to me to find pixels halfway between pixel grid boundaries - a sign of a lack of attention to detail and understanding of what can make pixel art good.

For the music, the cheesy NES instruments transition into cheesy faux-medeival-esque RPG music. Yawn.

I want to see this turn into something great, and I'll probably contribute a bit, but in its current state I think it will need a lot of work before I can recommend it very strongly to somebody. Having pixel graphics, and reminding players of the 1990s-era games that a lot of us grew up with is fine and great if done well, but that should be an attribute of a game, not the main focus of it. The focus should be the gameplay, and why it's interesting.

Yharnamresident
08-04-2014, 09:34 PM
There is open source 3D engines.

tim333
08-05-2014, 05:15 AM
I was unimpressed with the video. One of the backdrops did look nice, but other than that, everything was ugly and bland. There's some nice art on the page, but I put more stock in the game footage. Nothing about it grabs me.

Maybe it could end up being a lot better than it looks now, but from what I've seen I sure wouldn't put money down up front.

A Black Falcon
08-05-2014, 06:43 PM
Why does this fairly unimpressive-looking game get $50,000 fairly quickly while a spiritual sequel to one of the best games ever (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/525138512/disciples-of-the-storm) gets peanuts? Games exist which aren't platformers or RPGs, Kickstarter backers! Bah... it's kind of depressing, this game so so badly needs to happen, but at this rate...

MaxWar
08-05-2014, 07:12 PM
I dunno, as for some others I am left fairly unimpressed by the video. Some of the graphics look pretty bland.
It might be that the final product will have the attention and polishing required to make it great, but as is, after seeing the footage my feelings are mixed.

IrishNinja
08-05-2014, 07:30 PM
$50 for a physical sounds alright (signed ones are gone) but the art style is okay-ish, the way it pans to a small text bubble...i dunno. this is gonna be like Pier Solar where i wait for impressions then end up wanting in on it later i fear

Why does this fairly unimpressive-looking game get $50,000 fairly quickly while a spiritual sequel to one of the best games ever (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/525138512/disciples-of-the-storm) gets peanuts? Games exist which aren't platformers or RPGs, Kickstarter backers! Bah... it's kind of depressing, this game so so badly needs to happen, but at this rate...

bro i don't know what that is but it looks boring

A Black Falcon
08-05-2014, 07:31 PM
bro i don't know what that is but it looks boring
Netstorm is the best real-time strategy game not made by Blizzard. It's an incredibly unique classic, still just as interesting now as it was when I first played it in late 1997. And if this game doesn't get finished, there will still be nothing else remotely like Netstorm; it's one of a kind.

NeoVamp
08-05-2014, 09:27 PM
Unimpressed and bland graphics pretty much sums up my feelings too, not a fan.

Bibin
08-05-2014, 09:33 PM
I posted in the Kickstarter. Backed it a little too, with some cautious hope.

I wonder if I should have set a higher goal for my kickstarted game (http://mikejmoffitt.com/gitm).

matteus
08-06-2014, 06:15 AM
I posted in the Kickstarter. Backed it a little too, with some cautious hope.

I wonder if I should have set a higher goal for my kickstarted game (http://mikejmoffitt.com/gitm).

Port it to the MD using the sgdk and I'll back you :) simple as that really! Lol

fruitsofherwomb
08-06-2014, 06:48 AM
I said my piece about this on SEGAbits...

From the videos I've seen the only impression I get from this group is that they are typical hobby game programmers, who have loads of neat ideas week to week and implement them in their engine, whilst persistently improving and rewriting but never actually finishing a game or its engine from start to finish.

Also the unprofessional-ism in the videos concerns me! Swearing and referring to the audience as “bitches” does not echo with me as being a group who take their work seriously or professionally it just raises alarm bells!

I wished them the best of luck and wait to see if they can prove me wrong
According to them their 'Engine' is finished but they are really low on artists. We did a podcast with them yesterday, should be posted later today. They are pretty interesting dudes but I can see why some people would dislike their cursing, but then again it is who they are. I would hate for them to sell me a product and be totally fake.

matteus
08-06-2014, 07:02 AM
According to them their 'Engine' is finished but they are really low on artists. We did a podcast with them yesterday, should be posted later today. They are pretty interesting dudes but I can see why some people would dislike their cursing, but then again it is who they are. I would hate for them to sell me a product and be totally fake.

True but sometimes if we want to be successful in a business venture we have to put Professionalism at the forefront of what we do, so it's a big no no to swearing :)

retrospiel
08-06-2014, 04:50 PM
I've forwarded some of the points you guys made about the game to Falco. Let's hope he adresses some of your concerns soon-ish as I feel those I forwarded are rather valid indeed and might keep others from contributing to the Kickstarter.

matteus
08-08-2014, 01:26 PM
I think they need to get the accountant in on that "THE MENTOR" tier.

5 x $5,000 for an all expenses paid week teaching you anything from intermediate to advance C++ game engine architecture, etc.

$25,000 of the overall budget on this tier?!? If you got 5 folk from the UK you'd be talking $800 for the flight alone!

retrospiel
08-08-2014, 03:20 PM
They're at 86.000 now. I really really hope they'll make it. This project is among the most important Dreamcast games in the works at the moment.

And yeah, they got a new pixel artist who joined the team just a few week prior the Kickstarter:

zOkDwNkKHFs

SEGA.GENESIS1989
08-09-2014, 01:12 AM
Christuserloeser, will the development team be re-designing the sprites? Currently the sprites look quite quite bland and lack any kind of originality.

Also have they formulated a basic plot or story? After watching the Youtube videos, it appears that the team have been busy working on improving the game engine but we have yet to hear anything about the basic premise of the game or anything about the characters. Since it`s a RPG, the Kickstarter should provide a basic outline of the story instead of pitching the game`s mechanics. Most investors could care less that the game is attempting to fuse a 2D world with 3D. Personally, I would like to know that Elysian Shadows has an engaging story. It would also be good to provide some information about the game`s intended length.

Bibin
08-09-2014, 01:49 PM
I've forwarded some of the points you guys made about the game to Falco. Let's hope he adresses some of your concerns soon-ish as I feel those I forwarded are rather valid indeed and might keep others from contributing to the Kickstarter.

I hope my comments are not taken the wrong way. They were poorly received on the Kickstarter.

DJ_Convoy
08-10-2014, 09:49 PM
I often feel like I have to support something like this, even if I'm not super blown away, which I wasn't. The music sounded pretty decent, but let's face facts; if you get the Dreamcast version, you will not be getting the various fixes and patches and so forth that are all but inevitable.

I love buying new games for my beloved Dreamcast... but I'm less fond of buying version 1.5.

SEGA.GENESIS1989
08-11-2014, 12:39 AM
FYI: Livesteam with developer

3NOroIcHTFw

108 Stars
08-11-2014, 01:04 PM
Time for me to plug a little self-advertisement. :)

I am an editor for German website neXGam and the ES team was nice enough to do an interview. They did not dodge questions, and for English readers I also put in the original English interview on pages 3 and 4. Enjoy!

http://www.nexgam.de/Dreamcast-Linux/Elysian-Shadows-Das-grosse-Interview.html#sheet3

retrospiel
08-19-2014, 06:15 PM
They're releasing the game's engine and editors with the game!

DLbdPp2VKQY

SEGA.GENESIS1989
08-19-2014, 07:01 PM
This latest news gave them a bit of a bump today in total sales, garnering around $8000 to $9000. With a little less than 2 weeks to go, they need to go on the offensive and focus exclusively on marketing. If their up to the challenge they should take the time to visit the retro forums, converse with members, and get some feedback. Doing basic things like that creates a bit of a buzz and gets people interested.

SEGA.GENESIS1989
08-23-2014, 08:39 PM
Ut looks like they've succeeded in funding the project and we get another reason to fire up the ol' Dreamcast. So far they've raised $153,032 with 7 more days to go! Quite an accomplishment considering that their was a brief lull in funding during the second week of the Kickstarter!

SEGA.GENESIS1989
02-08-2018, 08:12 PM
Ummm ... does anyone remember this project that was to be published by Watermelon games? :shock: I thought this project was dead. The last piece of information I read was that they lost key members and that had a new team to resume work on the game. And today I discovered the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgVS0f4l-HU

If anyone was a backer of the project, I hope that this will allay your fears! I was actually worried that this became vaporware! :p

In any case, they are now posting updates on their Facebook page: which can be found here:
https://www.facebook.com/elysianshadows

Cheers!

Zebbe
05-22-2018, 06:19 PM
I backed this project on Kickstarter, but there has been no update there since February 1st... last year! However, I saw a video announcement about a video update (yeah, an announcement about an update, can it be more meta than that?). I think it's extremely unprofessional to not communicate to the people who funded the project first. How hard can it be to write a few lines where you tell what you've been doing last month, every month? That's a quarter of an hour's work, tops.

Tower of Power
05-22-2018, 09:08 PM
Judging from their Facebook page, it seems they shifted their time towards making a Dreamcast SDK?

Leynos
05-23-2018, 12:31 AM
Ummm ... does anyone remember this project that was to be published by Watermelon games? :shock: I thought this project was dead. The last piece of information I read was that they lost key members and that had a new team to resume work on the game. And today I discovered the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgVS0f4l-HU

If anyone was a backer of the project, I hope that this will allay your fears! I was actually worried that this became vaporware! :p

In any case, they are now posting updates on their Facebook page: which can be found here:
https://www.facebook.com/elysianshadows

Cheers!
That looks like shit. Then again Pier Solar is a fucking pile of shit outside of the OST. One of the worst RPGs I ever played. I have played a lot of RPGs.

Yharnamresident
05-23-2018, 12:36 PM
That looks like shit. Then again Pier Solar is a fucking pile of shit outside of the OST. One of the worst RPGs I ever played. I have played a lot of RPGs.
I agree.

Remember, "indie game" is a proxy for "low-budget game".

NeoVamp
05-24-2018, 11:15 PM
Terrible looking game, reminds me of the crappy homebrew games that dominated the homebrew scene around 1999.

Raistlin
08-28-2019, 07:24 AM
5 years after backing I now got my refund which I asked for lately. Now this disappointment finally came to an end for me.

Cristiano Sword
02-15-2020, 10:27 PM
also support this project with a friend's credit card, which occurred at a time when there was a financial problem with the card and the kickstarter and I received a warning. This project always seemed nice to me, too bad they never updated. I still intend to buy if it launches one day.