PDA

View Full Version : RE2 for Saturn Canceled old news but just for fun.

Da_Shocker
09-16-2014, 08:38 PM
"We sincerely apologize to the people who anticipated Bio Hazard 2 for Saturn. We were developing Bio Hazard 2 for Saturn, but found out that it's difficult to achieve the same level of quality on the Saturn that the PlayStation version had. So we decided to change the platform (from Saturn) to Dreamcast, and develop a new game called Bio Hazard Code: Veronica for the system. We are working like mad to make the game better than the PlayStation version visually, on the scenario side, and the overall game itself. Thanks for your understanding."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/re2-for-saturn-canceled/1100-2465273/

Really quality Capcom!?!??! That didn't stop them from bringing out these quality ports. :D:D:D:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwkQu_qSjg4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WHkvqQMPB4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDSly0FgWRA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jt0-8eyFl8

Bottino
09-16-2014, 09:00 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m6AyA70_dM

But to be fair, Code Veronica did turned out to be a much better game than Resident Evil (Stuck in that Awful Police Station Edition) 2.

zyrobs
09-16-2014, 09:10 PM
Capcom is full of shit, big news there.

TrekkiesUnite118
09-16-2014, 10:31 PM
The Resident Evil games are something the Saturn is practically designed to do. 2D backdrops (VDP2) + 3D Polygon characters overlaid on top (VDP1) is something the Saturn shouldn't have much trouble pulling off. From a graphical standpoint I'd imagine it wouldn't bet hat much more difficult than the Saturn ports of games like Virtua Fighter 2 and Dead or Alive.

Da_Shocker
09-16-2014, 10:36 PM
Capcom should've been honest and just said because of the Saturn's low user base is why we aren't bringing it out on it.

j_factor
09-16-2014, 11:07 PM
I thought the real reason was because the original RE2 (RE "1.5") was canceled and they started again from scratch.

sheath
09-16-2014, 11:12 PM
Are there any 2.5D Resident Evil style games on Saturn that use the highest resolutions with VDP2 backgrounds? I know the Winter Heat and Tri-Athelete games do, and Virtua Fighter 2 more than proves the system could do higher resolution backgrounds and characters than Saturn RE did.

EmperorIng
09-16-2014, 11:40 PM
It's not as if the Saturn version of RE1 was better than the Playstation RE1. Just imagine the load times on a Saturn RE2. Horrendous. It's not like RE1 on the Saturn moved huge numbers anyhow (compared to PS1's three revision/releases of RE1).

But to be fair, Code Veronica did turned out to be a much better game than Resident Evil (Stuck in that Awful Police Station Edition) 2.

Shenmue on the Saturn, while impressive considering that it's the Saturn, looks like an ugly mess.

It's also debatable as to whether or not RE2 outshines Code Veronica. RE2 for me is one of the best games in the series. Better monster design, for sure. Tangentially, the DC has the best ports of the Playstation games, at least in terms of graphics and content.

Bottino
09-16-2014, 11:58 PM
It's also debatable as to whether or not RE2 outshines Code Veronica. RE2 for me is one of the best games in the series. Better monster design, for sure. Tangentially, the DC has the best ports of the Playstation games, at least in terms of graphics and content.

RE2 lacks atmosphere ( you spend most of your time trapped in that stupid police station with a little girl running around on a town infested with deadly monsters), something that the original Resident Evil and Code Veronica excels; Code Veronica also has the better boss battles of the "old" franchise and a better story than RE2 ( those crazy twins + Wesker >>>> Chief Irons and that mad scientist ).

RE2 just has a bunch of extra stuff to unlock and some people seems to go crazy over this.

Don't get me wrong, i like RE2 a lot;i cleared the PC version using a Genesis 6-button pad and cleared the DC version as well, but i consider the original RE and Code Veronica ( not CV:X, because they changed Wesker to that stupid " Super Matrix Wesker ") to be the best of the series.

bultje112
09-17-2014, 03:22 AM
It's not as if the Saturn version of RE1 was better than the Playstation RE1. Just imagine the load times on a Saturn RE2. Horrendous. It's not like RE1 on the Saturn moved huge numbers anyhow (compared to PS1's three revision/releases of RE1).

Shenmue on the Saturn, while impressive considering that it's the Saturn, looks like an ugly mess.

I stopped reading there and am now removing the bullshit out of my ears

EmperorIng
09-17-2014, 03:43 PM
Don't get me wrong, i like RE2 a lot;i cleared the PC version using a Genesis 6-button pad and cleared the DC version as well, but i consider the original RE and Code Veronica ( not CV:X, because they changed Wesker to that stupid " Super Matrix Wesker ") to be the best of the series.

I can agree to disagree here, but I will say that you may hate Sherry, but CV has got Steve "I said I was sorey" Burnside! =D The B-movie plot of RE2 was very campy and enjoyable for me as well.

I stopped reading there and am now removing the bullshit out of my ears

It's 2014 dude. I am grateful they took the opportunity to make the game look respectable on the DC.

Or are Saturn owners just perpetually up to their ears in bullshit as to require frequent cleaning? =)

saturndual32
09-17-2014, 04:19 PM
It's 2014 dude. I am grateful they took the opportunity to make the game look respectable on the DC.

Or are Saturn owners just perpetually up to their ears in bullshit as to require frequent cleaning? =)

The point in showing Saturn Shenmue was to give a example that the Saturn could actually keep up with the Playstation graphically later that generation. If you say Saturn Shenmue looks like a mess, then every act/adv game on Playstation looks like a mess too. Now the problem would be weather Capcom would have bothered to push the Saturn hardware to make Saturn RE2 look decent, or not...

About the load times problem on Saturn RE, again, thats Capcom not optimizing the game for Saturn enough, not really a hardware problem.

And i would agree with the guys prefering the original RE and Code Veronica over RE2. Even Nemesis i liked better.

EmperorIng
09-17-2014, 10:29 PM
Nemesis controls better (thank goodness for quickturn), but the content and craziness are scaled back, which makes RE3 very subdued next to RE2 and even CV (which was to be the original RE3 before it got rebranded). I like the game, but it's not as good as what came before it.

If you say Saturn Shenmue looks like a mess, then every act/adv game on Playstation looks like a mess too.

And they don't? There's maybe a grand total of a dozen 32/64bit 3D games that actually look good, and not just passable. I'll repeat it so the point sinks in: it looks like a mess.

As to optimizations: I feel like this conversation would have been more fruitful 16 years ago. We're left with the games now, as they are. Saturn's fault or not, it's just a lackluster port - perhaps with no real deficiencies, but nothing to really recommend it over the alternative. Though it's possible, in light of the topic of RE2, that the developers could have ironed out those kinks. However, RE2 is significantly larger than RE1. Deep Fear was a larger game in terms of size, but also had a lot of annoying load times and didn't feel particularly well-optimized.

Wesker
09-17-2014, 10:42 PM
Resident Evil for the Sega Saturn was developed by Nextech, and by claiming that Resident Evil 2 for the Sega Saturn was cancelled as a reason for starting the development of Resident Evil: Code Veronica for Dreamcast gives a clear idea on who were actually developing the Sega Saturn version of Resident Evil 2 (whatever thing was actually developed of it), considering that Nextech took part on Resident Evil: Code Veronica programming duties.

So the "We were developing Bio Hazard 2 for Saturn, but found out that it's difficult to achieve the same level of quality on the Saturn that the PlayStation version had" part in Shinji Mikami's statement, that actually means "Nextech was developing Bio Hazard 2 for Saturn, but found out that it's difficult for them to achieve the same level of quality on the Saturn that the PlayStation version had".

saturndual32
09-18-2014, 12:01 AM
Nemesis controls better (thank goodness for quickturn), but the content and craziness are scaled back, which makes RE3 very subdued next to RE2 and even CV (which was to be the original RE3 before it got rebranded). I like the game, but it's not as good as what came before it.

And they don't? There's maybe a grand total of a dozen 32/64bit 3D games that actually look good, and not just passable. I'll repeat it so the point sinks in: it looks like a mess.

As to optimizations: I feel like this conversation would have been more fruitful 16 years ago. We're left with the games now, as they are. Saturn's fault or not, it's just a lackluster port - perhaps with no real deficiencies, but nothing to really recommend it over the alternative. Though it's possible, in light of the topic of RE2, that the developers could have ironed out those kinks. However, RE2 is significantly larger than RE1. Deep Fear was a larger game in terms of size, but also had a lot of annoying load times and didn't feel particularly well-optimized.

OK, we are in a forum that deals with retro stuff, and al lot of us enjoy talking about stuff the would have been "more fruitful 16 years ago", as you say.

Saturn Shenmue was brought into the conversation, because of Capcoms comment, that the Saturn hardware wasnt up to the task of a good RE 2 point. Since Saturn Shenmue looks more impressive than every act/adv game on PS1 IMHO, then it should have no problem with a decent port of RE2. Your "Saturn Shenmue looks like a mess" comment, to me came as saying that it looks like a mess compared to stuff from BITD, sorry if i misundertood. We all know that generation of games hasnt aged well looks wise. I dont have a problem with them, though. I still enjoy the games and appreciate their graphics in relation to the hardware.

You might be able to tell from my comments that i dont play modern games at all, hehe.

EmperorIng
09-18-2014, 01:32 AM
Shenmue was also a gigantic money pit for Sega though; that's important to keep in mind. While I said it's impressive considering that it's the Saturn, putting out the effort to make a game look like that would have been (and probably was) a giant waste of money. Capcom's 2D games did fine on the Saturn; 3D is where the system honestly starts coming up short, even with "impressive" tech demos like Shenmue. Capcom did the right thing in holding off on any important project until the Dreamcast. We were better off for it - Code Veronica, MVC2, Cannon Spike (not strictly Capcom), etc.

sheath
09-18-2014, 01:37 AM
Based on the 1up interview with Yu Suzuki and his main squeeze on Shenmue, the cost was all about the minute details, not the basic graphics themselves. Yakuza shows handily how to take Shenmue's basic graphics and make everything simple and easy to produce. Suzuki wanted all of those bobbles and details to be there, he even wanted a phone cord to look right for the 80s. It was an ambitious project that the industry is extremely unlikely to ever see again.

EmperorIng
09-18-2014, 01:43 AM
The devil is in the details though. If Suzuki wanted Shenmue to be the pinnacle of Saturn 3D, it would have just been a shitty, slow game. A much-better, easier-to-praise game was given to us on the Dreamcast. Thank goodness!

Isn't Yakuza just a gangster-filled expansion of Shenmue's core ideas anyhow?

sheath
09-18-2014, 01:48 AM
That, uh, barely makes any sense to me. I think you are saying that Shenmue on Saturn was supposed to showcase Saturn 3D, that doesn't actually follow. Suzuki is on the record, along with his head programmer, saying that he wanted every detail to be right. It had little to do with the Saturn, and more to do with making the image believable and every little detail viewable. Resident Evil, by comparison, is a tiny little game with a few 3D objects on top of a picture.

EmperorIng
09-18-2014, 01:54 AM
If it had nothing to do with the Saturn, then why did the project shift to the Dreamcast? To say there's not a connection between "wanting to get every detail right" and "dumping the Saturn" is stretching believability. I said Shenmue on the Saturn would have been awful. Because it would have been a awful, janky 3D Saturn game. At some point Suzuki and co. felt similarly, because that stuff was left to rot in demo-land, and a system that could better express his ideas came around.

It has every reason to do with the Saturn, and its under-performance in nearly every area, from graphics and (most importantly) sales and userbase. You can't be so myopic as to not see it.

To tie in RE2 - Capcom was as smart as Sega was. They saw absolutely no reason to put a high-profile, ambitious 3D game on the system. That ship had sailed, and they knew that it couldn't do what they wanted it to do. Granted, through a marvel of programming they fit RE2 onto a N64 cartridge, but N64 was actually relevant during 5th-gen.

sheath
09-18-2014, 02:03 AM
Myoptic? Really?

Anyway, Suzuki also states in his interview that he would come up with the ideas and then expect Sega's engineers to make the hardware suitable to make the game. Whatever they were developing Shenmue on is not disclosed unless I am forgetting something.

The point I was contesting was that Shenmue's cost of development had to do with making the Saturn produce better than Resident Evil quality graphics. Shenmue's total cost is obviously above and beyond any comparison to Resident Evil, the 2.5D Playstation game from 1996.

j_factor
09-18-2014, 02:08 AM
If it had nothing to do with the Saturn, then why did the project shift to the Dreamcast?

Because Sega stopped making Saturn games in 1998, and the game was not completed at that time.

saturndual32
09-18-2014, 02:15 AM
I think the main reason why Shenmue and Sonic Adventure shifted to DC and didnt come out on Saturn, wasnt because it wasnt up to the task of decent 3d games, it had more to do with the Saturn struggling sales wise, and Sega already thinking about the Dreamcast. If the Saturn had been the success PS1 was, you can be sure those games would have come out on it, and the Saturn hardware would have been pushed harder. Just look at PS2, lots of hardware complaints, but sales rule, and coders found ways to keep pushing the hardware to new limits.

Also, i see no reason why Shenmue couldnt have come out on Saturn, and then be remade for the DC later on. Its like wanting the games from that gen to not have been released back then, because they could be so much better on future hardware. If so, maybe they shouldnt have released Shenmue on the Dreamcast, and saved it for the Plasytation 7, with photorealistic graphics and virtual reality.

EmperorIng
09-18-2014, 02:40 AM
Myoptic? Really?

Anyway, Suzuki also states in his interview that he would come up with the ideas and then expect Sega's engineers to make the hardware suitable to make the game. Whatever they were developing Shenmue on is not disclosed unless I am forgetting something.

The point I was contesting was that Shenmue's cost of development had to do with making the Saturn produce better than Resident Evil quality graphics. Shenmue's total cost is obviously above and beyond any comparison to Resident Evil, the 2.5D Playstation game from 1996.

Myopic in the sense that Shenmue's cost is a factor (among many) and one result of struggling to get half decent-looking 3D on the Saturn. Too much cost, not enough payoff. I mean, the story plays out exactly the same way on the Dreamcast, but at least we don't have to suffer through awful 32bit 3D.

Suzuki was also just one person in a very large company. His vision shouldn't be accepted as the de facto "way things should have been" as much as we may yearn for a Shenmue with phone cords, or something.

The Saturn Shenmue would not have been what we see Shenmue as today. It would have been different. And I argue, it would have been far, far worse. This is apparent on an immediate visual level.

What's the larger takeaway? Saturn 3D at its best was still lame, and companies were better-served saving the big guns for more capable hardware. The shift to polygons is important, and the Saturn was left out of that curve no matter how hard Sega tried. If it had been better-served, we would have seen Director's Cut re-releases of RE1 on the Saturn, for one. But you don't; Saturn couldn't even benefit from one of the biggest third-party phenomena in the fifth-gen. RE2 was probably at some early conceptual level when the suits realized that it was a waste of time.

Because Sega stopped making Saturn games in 1998, and the game was not completed at that time.

You have a hard time deciphering context. :? You ever hear the phrase "begging the question?"

I think the main reason why Shenmue and Sonic Adventure shifted to DC and didnt come out on Saturn, wasnt because it wasnt up to the task of decent 3d games, it had more to do with the Saturn struggling sales wise, and Sega already thinking about the Dreamcast. If the Saturn had been the success PS1 was, you can be sure those games would have come out on it, and the Saturn hardware would have been pushed harder. Just look at PS2, lots of hardware complaints, but sales rule, and coders found ways to keep pushing the hardware to new limits.

Its like wanting the games from that gen to not have been released back then, because they could be so much better on future hardware. If so, maybe they shouldnt have released Shenmue on the Dreamcast, and saved it for the Plasytation 7, with photorealistic graphics and virtual reality.

I'm glad the games came out on better hardware. Who looks fondly back on 3D Saturn games? Who looks fondly back on Decathlete? Few people. Saturn with few exceptions was not up to the task of making decent 3D games. To be fair, consoles would need to wait another generation before that happened, but there are some shining exceptions.

Also, i see no reason why Shenmue couldnt have come out on Saturn, and then be remade for the DC later on.
Did you miss the part of my post where I said "money sink?" Really? No reason? Come on. A shitty Saturn game, followed by a strained and fractured DC remake? "Well, IF the saturn was successful..."

I think the point is that the Saturn was not a success; its tortured development history is made manifest in all of its subsequent releases and non-releases. PS2 had its problems, but not on the same scale.

You could joke and say Shenmue should not have happened, at least from a financial perspective. We'd miss out on a great game, but it's not like it did Sega any favors. I don't get why people would seriously want to play (or at the least encourage or entertain the possibility of) a game the scope of Shenmue on hardware from 1994. It's nuts.

j_factor
09-18-2014, 02:56 AM
You have a hard time deciphering context. :? You ever hear the phrase "begging the question?"

You ever hear the phrase "non sequitur"? "Begging the question" has nothing to do with deciphering context. Begging the question is when a statement presupposes its own conclusion. And I'm not begging the question. Sega's decision to come out with the Dreamcast when they did, and abandon the Saturn when they did, was made at the corporate level. AM2 did not make that decision. Any Sega team developing a Saturn game had to have it completed by a certain time, or move development to Dreamcast. Their only other option was to cancel the game outright. The same thing happened when Sega abandoned the Dreamcast -- do you think Shinobi and Gungrave came out for the PS2 because of any deficiencies in the Dreamcast hardware? Do you think that, generally, any time a game gets moved during development to a more powerful platform, the reason must be because of the hardware?

Gogogadget
09-18-2014, 07:13 AM
I seriously doubt a game the scope and size of Shenmue would work at all on something like the Saturn, it's just not even remotely feasible to assume Suzuki's vision would fit on the Saturn like that, hell Shenmue even stresses the Dreamcast a bit in places so the Saturn has no chance.

A Black Falcon
09-18-2014, 07:16 AM
For those questioning Saturn Shenmue, watch the video of it again. If the game could have matched those graphics throughout, then it'd have been just fine.

Wesker
09-18-2014, 09:00 AM
Granted, through a marvel of programming they fit RE2 onto a N64 cartridge, but N64 was actually relevant during 5th-gen in North America only.

Fixed.

Yharnamresident
09-18-2014, 09:01 AM
For those questioning Saturn Shenmue, watch the video of it again. If the game could have matched those graphics throughout, then it'd have been just fine.

That'd be mind-blowing seeing that stuff on a 32-bit console. Hell I'd be playing it right now. Screw talking to you guys.

Orchid87
09-18-2014, 09:24 AM
IDK guys, that Shenmue footage looks very slow. I don't think Saturn could handle the actual game with such graphics fidelity at a playable speed.

EmperorIng
09-18-2014, 09:47 PM
I see a lot of fetishes for jittery, flickering, blocky polygons here. :|
*cue posts about how 'awesome' it looks*

Do you think that, generally, any time a game gets moved during development to a more powerful platform, the reason must be because of the hardware?
I'm glad that all it took was a little prodding to get you to say what you mean. To answer: in this case, yes, I think hardware had a large role to play, especially in the sense that the hardware bombed.

zyrobs
09-18-2014, 10:13 PM
Are there any 2.5D Resident Evil style games on Saturn that use the highest resolutions with VDP2 backgrounds? I know the Winter Heat and Tri-Athelete games do, and Virtua Fighter 2 more than proves the system could do higher resolution backgrounds and characters than Saturn RE did.

Mostly fighting games used hires backgrounds + polygons. VF2/Kids/Vipers/Megamix, both Toshindens, D-Xhird, Elan Doree. And half of them used it with low-res polygons.

I don't know why hi-res wasn't more common, I'm guessing it was a memory problem.

zyrobs
09-18-2014, 10:20 PM
I see a lot of fetishes for jittery, flickering, blocky polygons here. :|
*cue posts about how 'awesome' it looks*

I'm glad that all it took was a little prodding to get you to say what you mean. To answer: in this case, yes, I think hardware had a large role to play, especially in the sense that the hardware bombed.

Every 3d game around the time had jittery, flickering, blocky polygons, except the N64 which instead had 2x2 pixel textures stretched out to oblivion.

The Shenmue Saturn footage looks possible to me, but it looks like it had extremely low framerate (which is not surprising). You can even see some bugs in there, where they didn't seem to have erased the framebuffer, so some polygons still appear on the next frame unchanged.
It seems to have a lot of very detailed, dynamic lightning and shadowing however, which I'm puzzled as to how they could do on the Saturn.

KnightWarrior
09-18-2014, 10:22 PM
How about the Mega Man 8 Issue

Sony didn't want MM8, But when the Saturn version was annonced ..Sony Cried Foul

Sony wanted Capcom make MM8 better on the PS1

EmperorIng
09-18-2014, 10:40 PM
That's just Sony being their usual selves. On the plus side, everyone got a cheap MM8 out of the deal. Not that you'd want MM8 when MMX4 was out, but still.

Every 3d game around the time had jittery, flickering, blocky polygons, except the N64 which instead had 2x2 pixel textures stretched out to oblivion.

Yup. Refer to my post where I said that most of the games then looked terrible. If I were to think of a good-looking 32bit polygonal game, the only one that really immediately comes to mind is Einhander. Maybe Omega Boost or RayCrisis. It's a very, very short list.

I feel the need to repeat the distinction that just because something looks impressive on the Saturn does not make it look good. See: Burning Rangers. It is impressive to see a Shenmue demo, but you can just imagine the crippling slowdown and crawling load times that the game would have.

sheath
09-18-2014, 11:11 PM
Saturn games didn't have a problem with long load times. That piss poor standard was established by the Playstations.

Whether or not the Shenmue demo would have run at the same speed as the video is skirting the question. Those are Saturn quality graphics, and a 2.5D Resident Evil type game was well within its capabilities.

Barone
09-18-2014, 11:19 PM
Saturn games didn't have a problem with long load times.
There will always be holes in generalizations like that:

TPEdI9WXRWo

Guntz
09-18-2014, 11:20 PM
Saturn games didn't have a problem with long load times. That piss poor standard was established by the Playstations.

Sony must have stole that concept from SNK's Neo Geo CD, amirite? :P

EmperorIng
09-18-2014, 11:27 PM
Saturn games didn't have a problem with long load times.

Did you play Deep Fear, a Sega Saturn exclusive RE clone?

I think we might agree that RE2 graphics were not capable - within the ratio development time:profitability.

sheath
09-18-2014, 11:46 PM
Oh silly me, I should have been more clear for the crowd. Saturn games didn't suffer from long load times, unless they were ported from Playstation by one guy with no funding. I should also point out that barone hates some horrible straw man version of me, and, uh, yeah, Playstation games with 12+ second load times are far more plentiful than Saturn or even Sega CD games with the same.

As for Resident Evil 2, VDP2 backgrounds were more than capable of handling, what over two thirds of the screen at all times?

Barone
09-18-2014, 11:57 PM
Saturn games didn't suffer from long load times, unless they were ported from Playstation by one guy with no funding.
IDK how you have access to that sort of info but Deep Fear is a Saturn exclusive.

TrekkiesUnite118
09-19-2014, 01:44 AM
I think the Saturn could have handled RE2 as well as the PS1 did, if the right developer did it. I don't think anyone would really disagree with that, the game isn't that much more demanding than titles like RE1 and Deep Fear.

As for loading times, while I think in general the games with ridiculous load times were more common on the PS1, I think that has to do with the higher amount of third party support. There are plenty of PS1 games with really well optimized loading (Symphony of the Night, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy VII and VIII, etc.). There's also plenty of Saturn games with bad load times (UMK3, any EA Sports title, etc.). It's not really a Sony specific thing, it's more of a game specific thing.

j_factor
09-19-2014, 04:04 AM

The "hardware" didn't bomb, and that does not actually answer the question I asked.

Team Andromeda
09-21-2014, 05:35 AM
Why all this fuss ? . That was was just kind developer speak for the fact that they was no market for RE 2 on the Saturn (by the time it would have be finished ) and it was better to put all efforts on the DC. Also while RE 2 could have been done on the Saturn It wouldn't have looked as good and have some issues - much like the 1st RE game

Da_Shocker
09-21-2014, 08:43 PM
I have never played RE1 on the Saturn or PSx but from the pictures I have seen the Saturn graphics look a bit worse. My thing is how does it play? Does it play like the PSx version? I ask this because all of those 2D Super Heroes vs Capcom games on the PSx not only cut out tons of frames of animation but they took the tag mode out which was the biggest draw in those game. Then turn around and say that the Saturn couldn't do RE2 at a certain level!!!!!

saturndual32
09-21-2014, 09:32 PM
I have never played RE1 on the Saturn or PSx but from the pictures I have seen the Saturn graphics look a bit worse. My thing is how does it play? Does it play like the PSx version? I ask this because all of those 2D Super Heroes vs Capcom games on the PSx not only cut out tons of frames of animation but they took the tag mode out which was the biggest draw in those game. Then turn around and say that the Saturn couldn't do RE2 at a certain level!!!!!

Thats exactly the point a lot of us are trying to make. Sega Saturn RE2 cancelation had way more to do with the console being struggling sales-wise and on its way out of the market, than it had to do with its technical capabilities.
And yes, Bio Hazard 1 on Saturn looked a bit worse and had a bit more loading than on PS1, but it was still a great game.

TrekkiesUnite118
09-21-2014, 09:33 PM

It pretty much plays as the original PS1 release if I remember correctly. So no auto aim or any of the other additions of the Directors Cut release. Graphically I'd say the characters look a bit nicer, it's just the transparencies and doors that are borked, along with the clock.

Team Andromeda
09-24-2014, 05:19 AM
Does it play like the PSx version? I

Better in my view thanks to the Saturn pad and thus the game controls better and I like the Saturn extra's and the backrounds look a bit better (imo) while the charcaters look a bit worse .

Then turn around and say that the Saturn couldn't do RE2 at a certain level!

That's being a bit silly . RE 2 was built from the ground up to be a PS game and looking over that , the VS fighters were ports of 2D games (the Saturn strong card) . I doubt the Saturn game would have looked as good as the PS game for some type of effects and what not , but it would have been more than a decent version no doubt . Dear Fear was built from the ground up for the Saturn and made In-House and its graphics don't hold up to RE 2 really

Mega Drive Bowlsey
09-24-2014, 07:09 AM
This may or may not be true but the way I always understood it the PS1 could produce better quality 3D models and FMV but games of a more 2D based nature, such as the Street Fighter games or the Marvel Super Hero arcade games by Capcom, not only almost always looked and played more fluidly on the Saturn but also quite often had more frames of animation than their PS1 counterparts. This is based on nothing more than my own personal observations over the years.

zyrobs
09-24-2014, 03:06 PM
This may or may not be true but the way I always understood it the PS1 could produce better quality 3D models and FMV but games of a more 2D based nature, such as the Street Fighter games or the Marvel Super Hero arcade games by Capcom, not only almost always looked and played more fluidly on the Saturn but also quite often had more frames of animation than their PS1 counterparts. This is based on nothing more than my own personal observations over the years.

Playstation has extra hardware built in for polygon transforms, and it has a faster "gpu". Which means it can push more polygons faster and in higher quality and higher colour depth.

Saturn has an extra VDP for nothing but processing 2d backgrounds in so many different ways, plus save a lot of memory from the other VDP which draws the polygons.

Mega Drive Bowlsey
09-24-2014, 05:56 PM
Playstation has extra hardware built in for polygon transforms, and it has a faster "gpu". Which means it can push more polygons faster and in higher quality and higher colour depth.

Saturn has an extra VDP for nothing but processing 2d backgrounds in so many different ways, plus save a lot of memory from the other VDP which draws the polygons.

Thanks for the info. I'm not very technical so the different specs between the consoles is largely lost on me.

Team Andromeda
10-27-2014, 07:50 AM
Going through my old mag and found a interview with Capcom that should put an end to the debate once and for all .. Capcom did start work on Resident Evil 2 for the Saturn, but droped it for Dreamcast (no shock really)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pQ7Ewv]https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5606/15640697745_67ac860b31_z.jpg

retrospiel
10-28-2014, 07:55 PM
^which is why they released Final Fight Revenge exclusively for Saturn ? in 2000?

That RE1 port was kind of an insult. The game should have looked better on Saturn than on PS1. Instead it looked worse.

Da_Shocker
10-28-2014, 08:26 PM
^which is why they released Final Fight Revenge exclusively for Saturn ? in 2000?

That RE1 port was kind of an insult. The game should have looked better on Saturn than on PS1. Instead it looked worse.

Most 3rd party 3D games looked awful on the Saturn anyways. And FFR looks like a first gen Saturn game in fact it looked worse than VF Remix. I always found it ironic that it was made in America but was a Japanese exclusive. Still the best 24.99 I ever spent before :D

Team Andromeda
10-29-2014, 03:13 AM

Well Capcom used the term 'considering'. Only the characters looked worse in RE on the Saturn and even then only slightly worse