PDA

View Full Version : I'm working on an MD / Genesis game

Bibin
11-04-2014, 02:01 PM
I've been porting a game I wrote previously for the computer to the Mega Drive slowly. I'll be adding more articles with steps taken along the way, You can read part 1 here, which will link to part 2, and so on and so forth. (http://mikejmoffitt.com/wp/?p=291)

http://mikejmoffitt.com/gitm/img/gitmd/map_real2.JPG
http://mikejmoffitt.com/gitm/img/gitmd/gitmed3.png

Jeckidy
11-04-2014, 02:10 PM
Seems cool so far. I've been tempted to make Genesis homebrew but am not sure if game development is for me, despite how much I enjoy games in general. Still, it's good to see people attempting more quality homebrews.

Murphy245
11-04-2014, 03:14 PM
I wish i was clever enough to do something like this.

Ive seen ghost in the machine before as well,nice work.

Guntz
11-04-2014, 04:22 PM
Looks pretty good. That's one third of a game though, here's hoping the sound and gameplay are just as good. Is this a sort of single screen platform game?

tryphon
11-04-2014, 04:47 PM
Your blog is bookmarked :)

Kamahl
11-04-2014, 05:01 PM
When I was reading the first part about scrolling I was like "there's something wrong here, it shouldn't be this slow". Glad to see you fixed it in a later part.

JumpingRyle
11-04-2014, 05:36 PM
The original version:

2OSubjiOKbI

I wish you luck!

old man
11-04-2014, 08:49 PM
Cool. Keep us posted.

Qjimbo
11-04-2014, 09:13 PM
Great project - I'd be down for buying a cased cartridge of this once it gets completed. I have heard of the PC version but never played.

Bibin
11-04-2014, 10:01 PM
Great project - I'd be down for buying a cased cartridge of this once it gets completed. I have heard of the PC version but never played.

If you'd like, you can download a demo here: http://mikejmoffitt.com/gitm/bin/

I'd really like to get it voted onto greenlight but I don't really have the resources to do advertising and the like, so it's difficult.

SEGA.GENESIS1989
11-04-2014, 10:29 PM
Man! And today I thought that all the good news I received earlier today was over! Bibin, i'm happy to hear that you are porting the game over to the MD. When you posted details about the game in the tech forums a long time ago, I was hoping that it would be released for the MD! The music and art style is great! Do you beleive that you will be able to do a perfect conversion of the game from the PC to the MD?

cleeg
11-05-2014, 05:33 AM
I too am chuffed with this, I always hoped it'd be released for the MD.

Bibin
11-05-2014, 01:42 PM
Man! And today I thought that all the good news I received earlier today was over! Bibin, i'm happy to hear that you are porting the game over to the MD. When you posted details about the game in the tech forums a long time ago, I was hoping that it would be released for the MD! The music and art style is great! Do you beleive that you will be able to do a perfect conversion of the game from the PC to the MD?

I think I can get the gameplay across without any substantial losses. The collision detection is going to have to be somewhat intensive, but the player is the only thing that really moves in any complicated way so I don't see it being a big deal. With the way I've done the map the Sega version might end up a little bit better in terms of level layout flexibility.

The main thing that would be very annoying to implement "properly" is the doors from the original game. I'm going to keep them, but I don't think they will be opening and closing smoothly like they do in the PC game. Very few levels will be affected by that, so I don't see it being a big deal.

Bibin
11-05-2014, 06:50 PM
I'm starting to doubt the effectiveness of using Regen's "Overclock 68000" function to slow down the CPU to check how intensive my collision detection is. It was looking really pitiful, making the game slow down at 200 cycles per line! That implies the detection is taking almost half of the frame to run! I then made the collision detection function run pointlessly an extra 64 times, and at full-speed it doesn't slow down, which breaks my initial fear. Probably my column-writing function is also not so bad, if this is how the under-clocking is working. The fact that I can fit the logic in so many times per frame is a good sign, so I guess I'll just try to write neat code for now and worry about performance when it comes up.

Kamahl
11-05-2014, 07:33 PM
Do note that at 200 cycles per line you've essentially made the genesis quite a bit slower than the SNES.
Slowdown with the most minor thing is expectable at that point.

retrospiel
11-05-2014, 08:00 PM
Just posting to say "Thank you!!!" for porting this game to a Sega console, and the Mega Drive no less! It's just mindblowing to think about playing this game on my favorite console. :love:

SEGA.GENESIS1989
11-05-2014, 08:16 PM
Just posting to say "Thank you!!!" for porting this game to a Sega console, and the Mega Drive no less! It's just mindblowing to think about playing this game on my favorite console. :love:

So true! Every time I fire on the console, I get a little tingling at the top of my head (And no I don't have dandruff! I pre-emptively use "Head & Shoulders" shampoo! :p)

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachments/moan-zone/268115d1324322881-sick-pretentious-pontificating-tea-boys-head-shoulders-ad.jpg

Bibin
11-09-2014, 01:42 AM
So true! Every time I fire on the console, I get a little tingling at the top of my head (And no I don't have dandruff! I pre-emptively use "Head & Shoulders" shampoo! :p)

Naturally I'd pick a Sega platform, that's what I grew up on! Perhaps a dreamcast port can follow, which would probably resemble the original game a bit more. It is an interesting challenge to make changes and cuts to get the game onto the 16-bit system. That said, there are a few things I can do on the system that are made nicer from the hardware, so I think for everything I must cut there will be something else that is interesting to enjoy.

If there's anyone who is very good at making FM instruments and wants to maybe help adapt the music, that's one of the biggest tasks that I'm not sure how to do yet. Really, it is only because I'm inexperienced in working with FM systems that I think it will be one of the harder parts. I can port the score just fine, but I don't have any FM instincts like I do for the Famicom / Game Boy yet. It'll take time, but I don't want the music to turn out half-baked.

QuickSciFi
11-09-2014, 08:11 AM
Any plans for a physical copy release?

retrospiel
11-09-2014, 08:17 AM
I think there are at least four different sound engines used by various homebrew games. The people I would contact first would be Oerg866 (composer, Project MD) and TmEE (sound engine developer, Pier Solar & Project Y).

Bibin
11-10-2014, 10:31 AM
One image of process:

I have working palette animations, player physics, and player animations at this point. The conveyor belts are fully working as well.

EDIT: It would be nice to rename the thread if possible

Kamahl
11-10-2014, 11:49 AM
Looks lovely

cleeg
11-10-2014, 12:19 PM
Man I wish I was as clever. Looks really good, well done, I love the style.

Barone
11-11-2014, 02:07 PM
http://mikejmoffitt.com/gitm/img/gitmd/map_real1.JPG

This guy surely knows what awesomeness is all about.

Very interesting to see something like Ghost in the Machine ported to the MD. To say the least.

Bibin
11-11-2014, 04:26 PM
I got more physics done today - the player can climb walls, and I spent a good half an hour comparing the games side by side and tweaking so all the same jumps are made in the same amount of time. The original game had the player's dy and dx as floats, with a gravity constant of 0.3px/f^2. Since I have no floating point to work with I had to create a sort of ghetto fixed point. On the bright side, it's working great and doesn't really take much of anything as far as resources go.

I took a bit of time to nearly fully convert (by hand!) a level from the original so I could do better testing and compare them side by side. Since the MD is a true paletted system, I can do more interesting things with the 4-color graphics I have besides just tinting them with one tone. This doesn't just mean palette cycling for animations (which I am using, thankfully) but also the palette can get a little more diversity.

Here are some side by sides (huge image alert!)

http://mikejmoffitt.com/gitm/img/gitmd/earlyCompareA.png
http://mikejmoffitt.com/gitm/img/gitmd/earlyCompareB.png

tryphon
11-11-2014, 05:10 PM
SGDK has prebuilt fixed point type (just in case)

Bibin
11-16-2014, 09:07 PM
Just a little update - I've been so busy recently this hasn't seen much. The horizontal scrolling is much better optimized now, and I have almost full player physics implemented. Just need to put in the various death traps and then the game engine is mostly complete. My row loading for vertical scrolling is still a little buggy, I hope I can sort that out soon...

In the meantime, I put in the little "Ready" screen from the original game, reminiscient of Street Fighter Alpha 3. It's not quite the same as the PC version. To do so would require a lot more tricks than I'm willing to do and I'd lose a lot of the motion I want from it. I think it turned out pretty well:

http://mikejmoffitt.com/gitm/img/gitmd/ready_early.png

(The ready text isn't off-center, it scrolls right to left slowly)

On another note, I'd like if this thread could be moved to Blast Processing and renamed "Ghost in the Machine for Gen/MD Dev Thread"

SEGA.GENESIS1989
11-16-2014, 10:47 PM
Bibin, if the thread isn`t moved to Blast Processing and likewise the name is not changed in 24 to 48 hours, be sure to message admin ... Joe Redifer, Melf, or Baloo have the ability to action your request. Because of the level of activity on the forums, they may not have read your wishes in the thread. A quick message to one of them will get the ball rolling! :)

Bibin
11-20-2014, 12:49 AM
Neat, the thread's in the right forum now. I started adding objects like pistons and traps, they are working pretty well. Next is collisions for those, and adding them into the level editor itself.

matteus
11-20-2014, 09:46 AM
Ghost in the machine finally appears on md :) I'm glad to see you made the jump bibin!

Just need someone to port super crate boy now lol :)

Bibin
12-01-2014, 10:04 PM
I've been super busy so this hasn't seen a lot of work, other than the level editor supporting object list editing now. The game logic for doors and pistons are pretty solid, just a few oddities here and there. I really need to rewrite the scrolling code at some point.

chilled
05-31-2015, 08:12 PM
Any news about this?

Bibin
06-01-2015, 12:52 AM
I plan on picking it up eventually, but with the Steam game finished yet needing a few things added (Steamworks stuff, etc) I'm just so sick of this game in general. We'll see what the summer free time brings.