PDA

View Full Version : Punch out style game for the genesis/mega drive

dra600n
11-18-2014, 10:25 AM
Hey everyone,
I posted this over on NintendoAge, and it seems like this idea was well received, so I'd like to present it to everyone here (as well as other gaming communities):

I'd love to make a Punch Out style game, but I would like the boxing opponents to be forum members. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to add everyone who is interested, but I was thinking that people could submit a character bio for the game, and then have a vote/poll to see what characters everyone likes.

The plan is to "clone" punch out, but also have other mechanics and changes to make it unique enough to not be just a straight clone of the game.

Anyway, what's everyone's thoughts about this? Is this something you'd like to see happen? Would you want to be a boxer in the game?

Thanks for reading!

cleeg
11-18-2014, 10:41 AM
Yes I would! I'd like to be a former Karate champion who had to retire from competing in matches that involve kicking due to an illegal leg sweep (Cobra Kai style) that ruined my shot at the world title. After years of embitterment I answered the call to box, but never truly came to terms with my injury, thus venting my rage on those opponents who stand before me!

Great idea dra600n!

SEGA.GENESIS1989
11-18-2014, 10:52 AM
This sounds like a great idea! I am pretty certain that most people would love to see a punch Out Style game! i haven't played Punch Out since I was in grade school but that game left such an impression on me. How many characters are you planning to have on the roster?

dra600n
11-18-2014, 11:12 AM
This sounds like a great idea! I am pretty certain that most people would love to see a punch Out Style game! i haven't played Punch Out since I was in grade school but that game left such an impression on me. How many characters are you planning to have on the roster?

I was thinking 10 characters, but there's always the possibility of special circuits that could contain some new boxers for sure :) 10 is a pretty small number, but I want to keep it somewhat of a small roster as I'm horrible with graphics, and finding an artist who is willing to work on this game is going to be a challenge, so I don't want to have this big grand roster only to find out that it's an unrealistic expectation.

If anyone is interested in doing the character art and animation, PM me :) I am offering to pay someone for their work as well :)

Bibin
11-18-2014, 11:21 AM
I don't think I have what it takes to do the large character portraits, but I'd be interested in helping with some of the other graphics.

dra600n
11-18-2014, 11:34 AM
I don't think I have what it takes to do the large character portraits, but I'd be interested in helping with some of the other graphics.

I'll send you a pm this evening and maybe we can figure something out :) I was intending on doing the background art and such, but I'm not skillful with pixel art (at least when compared to many of you talented folks in the community), so every little bit helps :)

alextheman
11-18-2014, 07:28 PM
Do you need a coder?

SEGA.GENESIS1989
11-18-2014, 09:29 PM
I was thinking 10 characters, but there's always the possibility of special circuits that could contain some new boxers for sure :) 10 is a pretty small number, but I want to keep it somewhat of a small roster as I'm horrible with graphics, and finding an artist who is willing to work on this game is going to be a challenge, so I don't want to have this big grand roster only to find out that it's an unrealistic expectation.

If anyone is interested in doing the character art and animation, PM me :) I am offering to pay someone for their work as well :)

dra6oon:
If the style of game is akin to Punch out, I suspect that the number of frames to animate the sprite will be few and far between. Here's another idea: In order to increase the roster, you may be able to recycle a sprite but simply do a color swap like back in the day with minor changes to the characters face. The disguishing charactertic for the character would be up to you: more damage inflicted or maybe a special move unique to the sprite. This would eliminate alot of the time to design a character while increasing the roster.

Whatever you decide to do, I think it's a great idea! Great with a capital "G"! ;)

LinkueiBR
11-18-2014, 10:53 PM
Amazing idea!!!

Vludi
11-18-2014, 11:02 PM
It would be awesome, Punch Out games are some of the few NES/SNES games i miss playing on genesis.

dra6oon:
If the style of game is akin to Punch out, I suspect that the number of frames to animate the sprite will be few and far between. Here's another idea: In order to increase the roster, you may be able to recycle a sprite but simply do a color swap like back in the day with minor changes to the characters face. The disguishing charactertic for the character would be up to you: more damage inflicted or maybe a special move unique to the sprite. This would eliminate alot of the time to design a character while increasing the roster.

Whatever you decide to do, I think it's a great idea! Great with a capital "G"! ;)
This is a nice idea.

phoenix
11-19-2014, 03:34 AM
I would please;add me.I am 50 years old;white beard;black and gray long hair;iron maiden listener;white;6 foot;220 pounds with a big belly and I be strong eh I work construction and me be Canadian.Maybe add a Cd on my shirt because I love me sega cd model 1's.Me picture http://i.imgur.com/WHKlAUe.png"

4Runner
11-19-2014, 12:09 PM
My character would be a 6'2" Ragin Cajun from Louisiana who is a gator wrestler and boxes for on the side as a hobby. His name is Mudbug Max and his signature move would be a shuffling uppercut, left hook, uppercut combo (similar to Mr Sandman's move). He would wear blue overalls (with no undershirt) and be barefoot. See attached photo for inspiration.

dra600n
11-19-2014, 12:20 PM
Love it!

I'll have some more details in a few days for everyone for boxer/character submissions :)

Just a quick question for those who've shown interest in having themselves/their made up boxers in the game, would you be willing to provide a headshot so the character can resemble you, and would you be willing to record your voice saying a few one liners for your character during the matches?

I'm trying to gauge what people would be interested in for the submissions.

Thanks!

cleeg
11-19-2014, 12:34 PM
Love it!

I'll have some more details in a few days for everyone for boxer/character submissions :)

Just a quick question for those who've shown interest in having themselves/their made up boxers in the game, would you be willing to provide a headshot so the character can resemble you, and would you be willing to record your voice saying a few one liners for your character during the matches?

Thanks!

Yes I would. :D

4Runner
11-19-2014, 05:22 PM
Love it!

Thanks!

Sure would!

matteus
11-20-2014, 09:37 AM
Would it not be worth doing a kickstarter?

dra600n
11-20-2014, 09:47 AM

You aren't the first one to suggest this, and those who have suggested it are right - it would definitely be a fitting project for kickstarter and would benefit from using it, but I'm against community funding. Call me stubborn, silly, stupid, etc, but I would rather risk my own money and time than risk someone else's.

I'm also soured by kickstarter as well, as I had spent about 80 hours preparing all the information, videos, and so on for a kickstarter page for Affinity Sorrow when I had a team on board, but they rejected it without any specific reason aside from "it doesn't fall within their guidelines". I had sent a few emails (as well as the composer and artist) to find out what part didn't fit in their guidelines, and all we ever got were vanilla answers that it didn't follow their guidelines, so I'm very hesitant to even bother with them again.

Maybe I'm missing something, though. Are you familiar with kickstarter and their guidelines and such?

matteus
11-20-2014, 09:56 AM
What was your reward model? A lot of the time people trip up on the fact their project has to create something for people :) maybe look at elysian shadows kickstarter page or pier solars for an idea of how it works?

If you need me to help you set a new one up I'm more than happy to get involved

dra600n
11-20-2014, 10:19 AM
I forget the specifics now (can see if I still have it on my computer; this was almost 3 years ago now haha) so that could be the reason. I'll send you a PM in the next few days to gauge your opinion on potential rewards and benefits with the kickstarter as it seems you know quite a bit about it :)

matteus
11-20-2014, 10:27 AM
I forget the specifics now (can see if I still have it on my computer; this was almost 3 years ago now haha) so that could be the reason. I'll send you a PM in the next few days to gauge your opinion on potential rewards and benefits with the kickstarter as it seems you know quite a bit about it :)

I know a fair bit! wow was it really 3 years ago since Affinity Sorrow? I did ponder why you'd not given kickstarter a go on that one :) admittedly I doubt a Mega Drive game could pull the same investment level as a Dreamcast game but it would still have an audience. You create your own PCBs don't you? so half the battle is won :D

dra600n
11-20-2014, 11:44 AM
I know a fair bit! wow was it really 3 years ago since Affinity Sorrow? I did ponder why you'd not given kickstarter a go on that one :) admittedly I doubt a Mega Drive game could pull the same investment level as a Dreamcast game but it would still have an audience. You create your own PCBs don't you? so half the battle is won :D

Yup! It's not dead though :) and I had the same thought about it being a genesis game (the amount I had requested was $7500, nothing outrageous either). And yup, I make my own boards with the help of DxS on NA, so the only last piece of the puzzle would be new cartridge shells.

In hindsight, having kickstarter reject it was probably for the best. It's a really ambitious project that I wasn't experienced enough to do (I feel that's changed now, though), so I'll be working on that very soon as well :D

matteus
11-20-2014, 12:16 PM
Yup! It's not dead though :) and I had the same thought about it being a genesis game (the amount I had requested was $7500, nothing outrageous either). And yup, I make my own boards with the help of DxS on NA, so the only last piece of the puzzle would be new cartridge shells.

In hindsight, having kickstarter reject it was probably for the best. It's a really ambitious project that I wasn't experienced enough to do (I feel that's changed now, though), so I'll be working on that very soon as well :D

Are cartridge shells expensive to produce? You see a lot of people selling the PCBs but not the shells.

Sensible move, I imagine RPGs ironically have far more programming and graphics involved than say a beat-em up with 8 characters, 8 moves and 8 stages.

dra600n
11-20-2014, 12:52 PM
Are cartridge shells expensive to produce? You see a lot of people selling the PCBs but not the shells.

Sensible move, I imagine RPGs ironically have far more programming and graphics involved than say a beat-em up with 8 characters, 8 moves and 8 stages.

I believe the molds are upwards of $7,000 to $10,000 and usually require a minimum of 1,000 units. Of course, that was the price range between 3 companies I had contacted a year or so back, so that's why I (and I assume most) only offer new pcbs. I haven't looked into new cart shells in a while, though that is on the agenda for 2015, and hopefully securing a deal with a manufacturer for them.

Coding an rpg is actually pretty easy when compared to games like mega man, duck tales, and so on (at least for me they are), but the content is definitely way more involved. I guess it really depends on the rpg as well, and some of the ideas I want to implement into affinity are simple by design, but are tricky in code. Definitely a lot more involved with planning it out than a short platformer or arcade game, though :) (at least in a typical 8/16 bit rpg, past those, I'm not sure what's all involved as I have no modern console programming experience :p )

4Runner
11-20-2014, 03:55 PM

With kickstarter comes obligations and expectations. Using your own time and money allows you the freedom to do what you want, when you want to. No strings attached.

dra600n
11-21-2014, 12:59 AM
With kickstarter comes obligations and expectations. Using you're own time and money allows you the freedom to do what you want, when you want to. No strings attached.

That was also my thoughts as well :P

Anyway, teaser graphic in my avatar :P

4Runner
11-21-2014, 01:50 AM
Pretty sweet, I wanna see Mudbug Max!

dra600n
11-22-2014, 08:03 AM
A contest is being put on by the artist for those to submit their own designs for boxing shorts and gloves, if anyone is interested!

Here's the rules: http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=22&threadid=138624

For those who haven't registered at NintendoAge, that's okay! Nobody has to register at any other forum if they don't need to. All submissions are to be emailed to submissions@airwalkstudios.com so everything is in 1 centralized location :)

I will also be putting the "Submit Your Boxer" information on the Airwalk Studios website, so everyone can submit their boxer ideas for themselves. I'll keep everyone posted!

Thanks for the support with this project :)

dra600n
11-22-2014, 09:50 AM
Contest rules for both submitting your boxer and custom gloves and shorts! :)

http://www.airwalkstudios.com/affinity/mainsite/contest/

SEGA.GENESIS1989
11-22-2014, 12:30 PM
This is excellent! I am pretty sure that you will receive plenty of submissions for the project. This sounds like a pretty fun contest!

maxxfarras
11-23-2014, 06:19 PM
Great project dra600n! By the way, I checked your site and I love Fix it Felix!

dra600n
11-24-2014, 09:06 AM
This is excellent! I am pretty sure that you will receive plenty of submissions for the project. This sounds like a pretty fun contest!
Thanks! Got your submission :D very thankful for the participation from you and the others so far :)

Great project dra600n! By the way, I checked your site and I love Fix it Felix!

Thanks a bunch! I had a lot of fun (and stress) making Felix, and I'm already having more fun with this idea and we're still in the planning phase. A lot of great ideas have been brought up by the team, so I think everyone will enjoy the familiar game play of punch out, while enjoying another level of features and things to do :)

dra600n
12-18-2014, 09:59 AM
About a week left for the boxer contest and boxing gloves/shorts/shirts! Got some really awesome entries so far, but hoping to see more :)

Www.airwalkstudios.com

Remember, there are 2 separate contests going on :)