PDA

View Full Version : Should I get a Saturn or 3DO?

BRNexus7
12-27-2014, 04:18 AM
I'm interested in both of these consoles, but I want to hear what you guys think would be the better buy. I'm also one of those weirdos that likes FMV games. Thanks

Blades
12-27-2014, 04:58 AM
That's like asking if you should buy a Lexus or a '93 Tempo. I'll let you figure out which is which.

What kind of FMV games do you like? The 3DO port of Myst is better than the Saturn one, though that's likely because of chance.

Lan Di
12-27-2014, 05:01 AM
The Saturn by a country mile.

BRNexus7
12-27-2014, 05:04 AM
That's like asking if you should buy a Lexus or a '93 Tempo. I'll let you figure out which is which.

What kind of FMV games do you like? The 3DO port of Myst is better than the Saturn one, though that's likely because of chance.

Light Gun FMV games.

Blades
12-27-2014, 05:06 AM
Light Gun FMV games.

Go with the Lexus.

BRNexus7
12-27-2014, 05:13 AM
Can you recommend any games/peripherals?

Blades
12-27-2014, 05:22 AM
There are many good games. I don't play many light gun games but Virtua Cop is fun.

Daytona USA, Virtual On, Sonic R and Sonic 3D Blast (enhanced port of the 16 bit game) are all worth checking out. There are some unique games like Burning Rangers and Nights by Sonic Team that are fun too.

EDIT: Croc is the best platformer on the Saturn, but the PSX port is better.

Yharnamresident
12-27-2014, 06:12 AM

But the '93 Tempo has the Dolby NR cassette player in it :cool:

Murphy245
12-27-2014, 10:44 AM
Saturn,no competition

FuturePrimitive
12-27-2014, 10:58 AM
Please, do yourself a favor... get a Saturn!

Jeckidy
12-27-2014, 11:18 AM
I got a Saturn mainly for NiGHTs but love many other games as well. Now, I recently acquired a japanese model 1 SS and play imports exclusively. I got rid of my Action Replay 4-in-1 adapter for my US model 2 in favor of using legitimate RAM cartridges that can be accessed and written to in-game, whereas the AR4in1 requires you to reset the system and then write the save within the internal memory to the cartridge. There aren't that many domestic games I actually would keep a US Saturn around for besides Three Dirty Dwarves, or Rayman, even though they also had Japanese releases (but I prefer the English VA's as they were developed in the west). Situations like these might merit keeping a US Saturn around. However, as somewhat of a polyglot who is learning multiple languages with Japanese being one of them, I'm enjoying playing import RPGs as it helps keep my Japanese studies active. Learning quickly with the exposure to different dialogue and such. Plus, Japanese versions of games that were also released in the west are usually much cheaper, as Saturn had a bigger user base in Japan.

Lastly, despite the suggestion of using AR 4-in-1 on a Japanese Saturn to play US games, keep in mind that some multi-disc games will not work in some instances and also, some games have glitches like not loading certain sounds or videos properly (as seen when playing Japanese Whizz on a US system) or some that become graphically scrambled (which happened to me when playing Twinbee on a US system).

3DO, I had, but sold. Despite all the easy access to games through piracy, there weren't any games that really captured me that were exclusives, although I liked that the 3DO version of Gex had a save feature as opposed to the password on the others. It also has one of the best ports of Wolfenstein. Still, it's not as bad as some have said. I'd go for Saturn in the end.

RPGbandit
12-27-2014, 11:47 AM
SATUUUUUUURN

btw i found a buncha paper work from a factory sealed Saturn if anyone wants to make an offer. I have a poster somewhere with Fighting Viper guys or VF? and Daytona uSA that came with the satrun as well

WarmSignal
12-27-2014, 12:23 PM
I'll be the voice that tells you don't get either. Get a Sega CD if you wanna torture yourself with FMV stuff. The games are at least affordable and not impossibly rare.

goldenband
12-27-2014, 12:44 PM
I'm not going to claim it's "better", but since getting both consoles, I've played my 3DO far more than my Saturn. Partly that's because my Saturn has hardware flaws that annoy me (one bad audio channel, flaky cart slot); partly because it represents a slightly later stage of '90s gaming that I already have the PlayStation to enjoy; and partly because the 3DO is friendly to burned and import games right out of the box. The 3DO light gun is pretty expensive, though.

Quite a few games are on both consoles, or even on both + the PlayStation. Most multiplatform games seem to be better on the 3DO, oddly enough -- though that's usually because the devs tried desperately to recoup their money when it became clear the 3DO was doomed, and did a quick 'n' lazy port to the Saturn and/or PlayStation. But the 3DO had a few minor advantages, too, and was occasionally more capable in certain areas.

There are quite a few games that are on both Sega CD and 3DO, and they typically look much better on the latter. The 3DO version of Star Wars: Rebel Assault is actually playable on Hard, for instance, whereas it's an incomprehensible pixellated mess on Sega CD.

The 3DO version of BC Racers, though, is a stinker, and I seem to remember that at least one of the FMV light gun games (Crime Patrol) annoyingly implements limited continues for no reason vs. unlimited continues on the Sega CD. OTOH the 3DO version allows for 2P simultaneous co-op, which the Sega CD version doesn't.

16-bit
12-27-2014, 01:34 PM
I would recommend getting a modchip if you get a saturn, even imports are starting to get pretty high in price, it's not an easy system to get games for anymore.

Even though I like the Saturn better, I say get a 3DO, you can burn the best games for it right out of the box.

True Grave
12-27-2014, 01:47 PM
I'm interested in both of these consoles, but I want to hear what you guys think would be the better buy. I'm also one of those weirdos that likes FMV games. Thanks

I'm sure the 3DO has its share of hidden gems or other games to make it worth checking out, and the hardware was powerful for its time. But there is just so much more gaming goodness to be had on the Saturn.

Lync
12-27-2014, 02:46 PM

I have never owned let alone laid hands on any 3DO. However, I just fulfilled a childhood dream of rescuing a neglected Sega Saturn and my impressions of it are this:

Aesthetically the Sega Saturn is probably one of the most appealing consoles I've ever seen. I have a model 2 and I love how sturdy this thing feels and it is almost monolithic compared to other systems - the relief line work on the plastic is actually very nice, the detail and the CD lid add a sense of curvature to an otherwise robust blocky form. The black color and texture with white 'SEGA', 'Saturn' and logo print is very sharp - SEGA really knew how to make black look cool. The CD-player interface and all of the sound controls/options are neat; I'm indifferent about the internal battery. My only real complaint is that I wish the buttons were perhaps a different color, maybe a shade of grey.

I have the second model six-button controllers, they are pretty nice. The D-pad has good articulation and face buttons are nicely expressed, and I like how there are two textures of plastic - one pattern outside the controller for grip and a smoother inset which envelopes the buttons. Shoulder buttons are okay, could have been more responsive (this could be wear on mine though), and maybe because I'm older but I like if the pads have more thickness and weight to them as these generally feel a bit too slim and light. Otherwise your standard six-button SEGA scheme. Would like to get the 3D controller, have heard positive things about it.

Unfortunately I'm running composite video at the moment but the picture produced is actually good. I don't have the best ears for pitch, etc. but the sound is also good, especially playing something like Nights into Dreams - wow, the music really fills a room and is totally clean.

My biggest gripe with the Saturn is probably the most shared. The games are EXPENSIVE. I typically wouldn't buy a console that didn't have at least ten games that were worth owning, I have a wish-list of thirteen for the Saturn and eight of which fetch prices of over $100.00. That really hurts it for me, definitely plan to collect over a lifetime with the Saturn.

That said, I don't know too much about FMV games as that isn't my genre of choice. I'd endorse the Saturn if you plan to live for another fifty years and willing to make a slow journey collecting for it as in the long run it is definitely a worthwhile machine.

From what little I know about the 3DO, it has an exceptional import scene of game galleries of nude Asian women. So, there's that...

Yharnamresident
12-27-2014, 05:56 PM
The 3DO is more of a curiosity, than something you go to for good gaming experiences.

The Saturn is an endless source of entertainment. It has that Beyond Oasis sequel, Soukyugerenti(expensive as hell), Sega Rally, overall just a ton of RPGs, shooters, and racing. A lot is Japan-only so get your region unlock cart.

It also has a lot of fighting games (Virtua Fighting, King of Fighters, all those Capcom ones). I have no interest in those, but maybe you do.

And get this, its the only Sega console that has a controller with enough buttons!!

Other good stuff includes a built-in memory card and a Video CD player.

Barone
12-27-2014, 06:27 PM
It really depends on what you're really looking for.

The FMV library of the 3DO is really great and the 2P simultaneous light gun games can be a lot of fun if you have the money to spend on those expensive orange guns (they're quality light guns though).
The 3DO also has a lot of experimentation and awkward/bizarre games to try. Most of those games aren't any great according to the usual parameters but if you dig that sort of stuff you'll love the 3DO.
OTOH the 3DO library is weak in terms of traditional and, especially, 2D games.

The Saturn's library is completely different. It's not that strong in terms of FMV (but you can dig some lesser known stuff and earlier games which have extensive and cheesy live action "cutscenes") and it's a powerhouse in terms of traditional games (especially Japanese-developed stuff).

The Panasonic FZ-10 is the most reliable and compatible 3DO model.
The Sega Saturn model 2 is said to be more reliable and easier to install a modchip than the first model.

MathUser
12-27-2014, 07:49 PM
I had a 3DO and enjoyed it quite a bit but only had a few games for it. Need for speed and Gex are better on 3DO. Need for speed has more camera options (no 2 player mode tho), and an awesome cheat where you honk your horn and it sends all traffic into the sky. Touching one of those cars makes you lose usually so it's not totally unfair. Also there are videos where your oppponent taunts you at the end of a race. Gex has a level select cheat that lets you pick unfinished levels with unused enemies in it. It also lets you save your game.

goldenband
12-27-2014, 08:24 PM
Other games that are supposedly better on 3DO vs. Saturn or PlayStation:

D (allegedly)
The Horde (FMVs are cut in Saturn version? Watch out for 3DO version's habit of wiping save memory)
Lucienne's Quest/Sword and Sorcery (import-only Saturn version is supposedly horrendous)
PO'ed
Psychic Detective (PlayStation version is censored/cut)
Road Rash (especially vs. the Saturn version, but there are differing opinions)
Return Fire (I've also read differing opinions on this)
Space Hulk
Star Fighter (opinion seems unanimous on this -- 3DO is much better)

OTOH the PlayStation ports of Off-World Interceptor (Extreme) and Total Eclipse (Turbo) are supposedly improvements. I haven't played either but I know TET includes a savegame feature lacking in the 3DO version.

And in all honesty (and obviousness), none of these 3DO ports are killer apps for the target systems, of course.

BRNexus7
12-28-2014, 12:29 AM
I'll be the voice that tells you don't get either. Get a Sega CD if you wanna torture yourself with FMV stuff. The games are at least affordable and not impossibly rare.

I already own a Model 1 Sega CD. ( :

zetastrike
12-28-2014, 11:57 PM
While I love both my 3DO and Saturn, I'd have to say go for the latter because there are a lot more games and they're more "traditional". As Barone pointed out, many of the games on the 3DO are just weird. They're not bad, but the console has it's own feel that you'll figure out very quickly.

Both of them have a large library of Japan exclusives, but on the 3DO you pretty much just want to get Dr Hauzer, Belzerian, Pyramid Intruder, Autobahn Tokio, Sailor Moon S, and Yu Yu Hakusho.

TrekkiesUnite118
12-29-2014, 12:33 AM
I'd say get a Saturn. You'll probably be more satisfied with what's available in it's library and overall it's just a better system.

Accessories are still easy to get a hold of too. You can still get brand new Stunner Light Guns and Virtua Sticks on Amazon for $20-$30. Mission Sticks and Race Wheels are harder to come by but aren't too expensive when they do show up. Twin Sticks can get pricey, but if you're not interested in Virtual On that doesn't matter.

Definitely look into either getting a Japanese System or region modding a US system. You can import most games for a fraction of what their US counterparts go for, and short of RPGs the language barrier isn't really an issue.

Also be sure to check out SegaSaturn.co.uk. It's basically the Saturn Equivalent to this site:

http://www.segasaturn.co.uk/

WoodyXP
12-29-2014, 12:47 AM
btw i found a buncha paper work from a factory sealed Saturn if anyone wants to make an offer. I have a poster somewhere with Fighting Viper guys or VF? and Daytona uSA that came with the satrun as well

$1 shipped.

A31Chris
12-29-2014, 02:09 AM
Asking on a Sega forum which console to get between a Saturn and 3DO lol.

Why not get both like I did?

3do has better ports of PO'd, Road Rash, Need For Speed. And unique titles.

I love both of them. I want them both.

TrekkiesUnite118
12-29-2014, 02:38 AM
3do has better ports of Road Rash and Need For Speed.

Um, no it doesn't? Yes they're the original versions, but they run at 20fps. The Saturn ports run at 30fps and for at least Need for Speed it has more content.

BMREnf6NRsQ

Baloo
12-29-2014, 03:15 AM
Saturn library is so much better. It's not even close. Shame so many of the best Saturn games have spiked in price recently. Nothing is affordable anymore for the system, to the point where it might not even be worth owning one anymore (I personally don't and I like a lot of games for it.)

Best game on the system is Panzer Dragoon Saga, then NiGHTS in my opinion. A lot of the other games for the system fall in the realm of "solid but not unbelievable" in my opinion, but there's plenty to choose from. Sega Rally Championship, Daytona USA, World Series Baseball '98, Panzer Dragoon I and II, Burning Rangers, Shining Force III, Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua Cop, Fighters Megamix, Darius Gaiden, Rayman, just to name a few good games. Lots of great Japanese imports as well but also pricey.

3D0 on the other hand is mostly unplayable garbage, FMV games and bad 3rd party stuff. Not worth your time.

At the end of the day it depends on what you want to play. Personally I think a Saturn is worth buying for NiGHTS, Burning Rangers, and Panzer Dragoon Saga. But after you beat those games, for the amount they go for, it's not worth keeping them around. I'd just buy a system and the games you really want to play, then sell them back online.

If you want some more bang for your buck, I'd go for another system.

Yharnamresident
12-29-2014, 06:00 AM
Um, no it doesn't? Yes they're the original versions, but they run at 20fps. The Saturn ports run at 30fps and for at least Need for Speed it has more content.

BMREnf6NRsQ

3DO version has no sense of speed. It looks like it takes 300 frames for a roadside object to pass through the screen.

I can't believe someone needs to decide on Saturn vs. 3DO. Though to be fair, the Saturn does get a lot of bad respect.

Stuff like "it was initially supposed to be a 2D console, but after hearing what the PS1 could do, they added 3D capabilities 1 month before launch". Are those people stupid? Sega pioneered 3D with Virtua Racing and Virtua Fighter, and now they're gonna design their next console without 3D capabilities in-mind?

But I do think it sucks that the 3DO M2 wasn't released. The specs for that thing don't look to bad. Aside from the RAM, which like the Dreamcast, is too small of a jump from their previous console.

Blades
12-29-2014, 06:06 AM
Um, no it doesn't? Yes they're the original versions, but they run at 20fps. The Saturn ports run at 30fps and for at least Need for Speed it has more content

Depends on what you define as 'better.' The cars in NFS 3DO behave more realistically than in the PSX and Saturn ports which had more arcade-like handling.

That said I like the PSX/SAT ports. The slight jump in realism means nothing in a world where cars consist of 2 polygons.

EDIT:
Personally I think a Saturn is worth buying for NiGHTS, Burning Rangers, and Panzer Dragoon Saga. But after you beat those games, for the amount they go for, it's not worth keeping them around. I'd just buy a system and the games you really want to play, then sell them back online. .

Nights is now on PSN, so you can cross that one off too.

But I do think it sucks that the 3DO M2 wasn't released. The specs for that thing don't look to bad. Aside from the RAM, which like the Dreamcast, is too small of a jump from their previous console.

You know the PS3 only has 256MB RAM? It is fast though.

The Coop
12-29-2014, 07:01 AM
A Saturn.

Its library may be more expensive, but it's also vastly more extensive. Hell, some of the 3DO games came to the Saturn, so it's not like you'd be SOL with all of the 3DO titles.

Mpavlic1018
12-29-2014, 07:40 AM
I want to get a 3do but its more to have it and get literally and handful of games than anything else. I've had a Saturn since day 1 (still have my original model I bought the month it came out) but I never play it. Can you guys recommend any must haves? I got out of video games for a while when it came out until ps1 came out so I only have maybe 7 games for it (road rash, virtual fighter and virtua cop, nhl 97, nhl all star hockey, Daytona, mk2, sf: the movie...yes I know...lol). I'd be interested in getting into it as it seems to get a lot of love on here. I was always a sega guy but when Saturn came out I just remember thinking that there weren't any games I seemed interested in buying. It wasn't Saturn sucks, just nothing I wanted.

Thief
12-29-2014, 07:51 AM
What?! Why is this even a question? GET THE SATURN! NOW! lol

EDIT - buy me one too, as my mom lost my very first easrly release Saturn.

EDIT - oh, I'll mention some games too.

- Shining the Holy Ark and Shining Force 3 Sceanrio 1, 2, 3, & Premium Disk. Best games on the planet.
- Sega Rally. Best Racing game.
- Sega Touring Car. Very under rated. Like it more then Daytona USA. Never gave it a chance when I bought it brand new. Did recently and now I so regret it.
- Daytona USA CE (Japanese version). Only version of Daytona to get
- Virtua Cop 1 & 2. Best light gun games.
- Hourse of dead. Port wasn't done by Sega & rushed. So it really shows greaphically, but still great if you like lightgun games.
- Sonic Jam. Just for the glimpse of what 3D Sonic games could of been like. :( ... Course the 4 Genesis Sonic games are a must.
- D & Enemy Zero. Here are your FMV games. ;)
- isn't the Saturn version of that Hideo Kojima FMV game getting a fan translation too? I know the PS1 version is translated.
- There's got to be a ton more FMV games. Go check "Sega Ga Ga" site for all the juicy info.

mrbigreddog
12-29-2014, 08:40 AM

I wouldn't say that... More like getting a Saturn (vehicle) or a Gremlin.

Ultimately, Saturn is the better choice. And for FMV light gun games... It's just about your only choice. Good luck finding a 3DO light gun, don't even know if that exist.

If you're gaming on a budget.... 3DO would be the way to go because it will play any copied game. Saturn on the other hand requires a complicated mod chip. And it's worth it as there are quite a few expensive/rare Saturn games that you will never play without a modchip. Unless you wanna spend hundreds of dollars on a single game.

For me, 3DO is worth owning for Another World/Out of this World port ALONE! Best port every, enhanced backgrounds and music and smooth gameplay compared to any of it's counter parts. Love that game!

If you do a direct comparison, Road Rash is better and smoother on Saturn compared to 3DO. There's another great title!

I might still have a Saturn gun... message me if interested. (I'll check tonight) And I'm actually thinking of selling my Modchipped - Saturn... For the right price.

zetastrike
12-29-2014, 09:05 AM

Um, yes it does? The Saturn NFS is faster, but has no oncoming traffic (according to the people at 3DO Zone), pretty much ruining the game. They also nerfed the handling to make it less realistic. They took a game that wasn't meant to be an arcade racer and made it into one.

Mpavlic1018
12-29-2014, 09:25 AM
What?! Why is this even a question? GET THE SATURN! NOW! lol

EDIT - buy me one too, as my mom lost my very first easrly release Saturn.

EDIT - oh, I'll mention some games too.

- Shining the Holy Ark and Shining Force 3 Sceanrio 1, 2, 3, & Premium Disk. Best games on the planet.
- Sega Rally. Best Racing game.
- Sega Touring Car. Very under rated. Like it more then Daytona USA. Never gave it a chance when I bought it brand new. Did recently and now I so regret it.
- Daytona USA CE (Japanese version). Only version of Daytona to get
- Virtua Cop 1 & 2. Best light gun games.
- Hourse of dead. Port wasn't done by Sega & rushed. So it really shows greaphically, but still great if you like lightgun games.
- Sonic Jam. Just for the glimpse of what 3D Sonic games could of been like. :( ... Course the 4 Genesis Sonic games are a must.
- D & Enemy Zero. Here are your FMV games. ;)
- isn't the Saturn version of that Hideo Kojima FMV game getting a fan translation too? I know the PS1 version is translated.
- There's got to be a ton more FMV games. Go check "Sega Ga Ga" site for all the juicy info.

This isn't a knock on your list, but a reflection of my tastes, but outside of the Shining games on your list, not one of those games interest me. I played sega rally back in the day and didn't like it. Sonic, I know people love it but that always represented the more "kid" game scene. I'd play the shooting games but I don't have a CRT. I like RPGs but with 2 kids my days of weeks dedicated to games is long over.

Honestly I think Saturn is a system in this weird sort of neutral zone for me. It's after the systems I grew up with as a young kid (nes, genesis, and sega cd) that I will always play and have nostalgia for but before the systems that got me really back into games (ps1 and 2, Xbox 360). Yes, I know ps1 was the same generation as Saturn but I got the ps1 wayyyyyyyy after it came out,not when it was first released. I think I might just go on you tube and look for some of those top 10 Saturn game videos.

GohanX
12-29-2014, 09:49 AM
I have and love the 3DO, but if I had to choose it really wouldn't be a choice, Saturn all the way. It's really one of the best systems ever made if you like arcade gaming.

RPGbandit
12-29-2014, 10:04 AM
saturn has more rpgs (in english t00)

/topic

seriously though, more good software in general. both quality and maybe close to quanitity

RPGbandit
12-29-2014, 10:15 AM
games that warrant a 3d0

Demolition Man
Luciennes Quest
Crime patrol 1 & 2
and sex games

TailsCD
12-29-2014, 10:18 AM
I have a Saturn and while I like the console itself, I have yet to find the game that keeps me coming back for more. I haven't given up on it though. I hate how expensive some games are. I bought my system for $25 last year at a local game shop. That same shop now sells Saturns for $56, so they are climbing up there in price.

I've never owned a 3DO, but as much as I try to avoid downloading ROMs/ISOs I will say that the lack of copy protection is a plus in my book. A few months ago I saw one on ebay for $74 and I think other units go for near $100 or over $100.

Mpavlic1018
12-29-2014, 11:40 AM
I've been thinking that I'll probably get a 3do with the usb mod so it won't fail and I don't have to buy the games. I prefer to own games and I've added probably 50 carts to my collection since June but at some point I have to not spend thousands on games.

TrekkiesUnite118
12-29-2014, 03:06 PM
Um, yes it does? The Saturn NFS is faster, but has no oncoming traffic (according to the people at 3DO Zone), pretty much ruining the game. They also nerfed the handling to make it less realistic. They took a game that wasn't meant to be an arcade racer and made it into one.

But it does have oncoming traffic?:

08DAAmw8CZI

The guy has a head-on collision with oncoming traffic around the 1:30 mark. And you can see more oncoming traffic later on. The handling could easily just be due the framerate difference making things more responsive.

zetastrike
12-29-2014, 03:51 PM
But it does have oncoming traffic?:

The guy has a head-on collision with oncoming traffic around the 1:30 mark. And you can see more oncoming traffic later on. The handling could easily just be due the framerate difference making things more responsive.

Ok, I stand corrected, the Saturn version has a mode with 7 opponents and no traffic and 1 opponent with normal traffic. I still stand by my opinion that the zippy handling goes against the game's intention of realism. As an arcade racer, it doesn't have much pizazz or identity compared to the other offerings on the Saturn.

BRNexus7
12-29-2014, 07:33 PM
I'd say get a Saturn. You'll probably be more satisfied with what's available in it's library and overall it's just a better system.

Accessories are still easy to get a hold of too. You can still get brand new Stunner Light Guns and Virtua Sticks on Amazon for $20-$30. Mission Sticks and Race Wheels are harder to come by but aren't too expensive when they do show up. Twin Sticks can get pricey, but if you're not interested in Virtual On that doesn't matter.

Definitely look into either getting a Japanese System or region modding a US system. You can import most games for a fraction of what their US counterparts go for, and short of RPGs the language barrier isn't really an issue.

Also be sure to check out SegaSaturn.co.uk. It's basically the Saturn Equivalent to this site:

http://www.segasaturn.co.uk/

I thought that Pro Action Replay will play Saturn imports?

Yharnamresident
12-29-2014, 07:52 PM
You know the PS3 only has 256MB RAM? It is fast though.Yes we all know how the PS3 only has 256 MBs. Half the RAM of what the 360 has. Sony really screwed up in that department.

Yharnamresident
12-29-2014, 08:02 PM

Watch from 0:50 to 1:15 in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gyr0fQl0fz0

He tells you about the cart, using a real-world situation for the Saturn.

BRNexus7
12-29-2014, 08:46 PM
Yes we all know how the PS3 only has 256 MBs. Half the RAM of what the 360 has. Sony really screwed up in that department.

Actually, the PS3 has 512MB's total, but it is split between the CPU and GPU. Though, the PS3's Cell processor has SPU's that does some graphical rendering, so in a sense you have to look at the Cell as part of the graphics too. It is a weird setup but when programmed right the PS3 is the more powerful console even with the split ram.

Yharnamresident
12-29-2014, 10:33 PM
Actually, the PS3 has 512MB's total, but it is split between the CPU and GPU. Though, the PS3's Cell processor has SPU's that does some graphical rendering, so in a sense you have to look at the Cell as part of the graphics too. It is a weird setup but when programmed right the PS3 is the more powerful console even with the split ram.

I know. Blades was just using an old joke(I assume).

A lot of people think the PS3 only has half the RAM of the 360, they can't grasp onto the fact that it has split RAM.

Exhibit A: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/features/game/3354005/evolution-of-gaming-since-zx-spectrum/

TrekkiesUnite118
12-29-2014, 10:47 PM
I know. Blades was just using an old joke(I assume).

A lot of people think the PS3 only has half the RAM of the 360, they can't grasp onto the fact that it has split RAM.

Exhibit A: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/features/game/3354005/evolution-of-gaming-since-zx-spectrum/

Well, in sense it does come off as half the RAM. Yes the total is still 512MB, but when it's unified you can use all of it as you please. When it's split you're limited. It's why some games like Skyrim had massive problems on the PS3 vs on the 360.

Yes, but some have compatibility issues. There's also reports that it uses a wider PCB than official carts and can damage the cartridge port faster with prolonged use. And even without those issues you still can't save directly to it like you can with official Backup Carts, and you still can't play King of Fighters 95 with it.

BRNexus7
12-30-2014, 02:07 AM
Well, in sense it does come off as half the RAM. Yes the total is still 512MB, but when it's unified you can use all of it as you please. When it's split you're limited. It's why some games like Skyrim had massive problems on the PS3 vs on the 360.

Yes, but some have compatibility issues. There's also reports that it uses a wider PCB than official carts and can damage the cartridge port faster with prolonged use. And even without those issues you still can't save directly to it like you can with official Backup Carts, and you still can't play King of Fighters 95 with it.

Which games aren't compatible? Is it a lot, or just a few games?

Yharnamresident
12-30-2014, 05:33 AM
Yes, but some have compatibility issues. There's also reports that it uses a wider PCB than official carts and can damage the cartridge port faster with prolonged use. And even without those issues you still can't save directly to it like you can with official Backup Carts, and you still can't play King of Fighters 95 with it.Really Trekkies? crap.

Well I guess thats a good enough reason to get a sexy ass white Jap Saturn :cool:

True Grave
12-30-2014, 05:34 AM
Back in the day i played imports on the Saturn perfectly fine, using the pro action replay. It was the one that also had the built-in 4MB ram. Thought this was common knowledge.

Barone
12-30-2014, 07:26 AM
Which games aren't compatible? Is it a lot, or just a few games?
Its 1 MB mode is more problematic AFAIK. So, at the very least, you should have the Pro Action Replay and the 1 MB RAM official cart.

But, then again, I reinforce what Trekkies said: be careful with the cartridge slot.

Nightwolf
12-30-2014, 08:17 AM
. It's why some games like Skyrim had massive problems on the PS3 vs on the 360.

Well, I can see that for a very BAD port, using the PS3 hardware very badly.

TailsCD
12-30-2014, 08:37 AM
I read a post on the official Sega forums once that said that once you have the 4-in-1 Action Replay, you shouldn't remove it from the cart slot.

Thief
12-30-2014, 09:06 AM
This isn't a knock on your list, but a reflection of my tastes, but outside of the Shining games on your list, not one of those games interest me. I played sega rally back in the day and didn't like it. Sonic, I know people love it but that always represented the more "kid" game scene. I'd play the shooting games but I don't have a CRT. I like RPGs but with 2 kids my days of weeks dedicated to games is long over.

Honestly I think Saturn is a system in this weird sort of neutral zone for me. It's after the systems I grew up with as a young kid (nes, genesis, and sega cd) that I will always play and have nostalgia for but before the systems that got me really back into games (ps1 and 2, Xbox 360). Yes, I know ps1 was the same generation as Saturn but I got the ps1 wayyyyyyyy after it came out,not when it was first released. I think I might just go on you tube and look for some of those top 10 Saturn game videos.

Glad you agree with Shining Force at least. Only thing that matters. :)

But thanks for the kind feedback on you thoughts. :)

Sega Rally is actually an acquired taste. Always feel when folks add it to a list is because it's a top Sega Saturn profile game instead of actually enjoying it. I got this game when it just came out after playing the heck out of Daytona USA and I wasn't nearly as satisfied with it as Daytona USA. Took a lot of time to see the beauty & genius of Sega Rally. To the point of where now Daytona USA (any version) doesn't even compare to Sega Rally. And one of the main reasons are;

a) replay value. It actually never gets old. Unlike Daytona USA which did. Way deeper gameplay is the main reason. Jumping back into Daytona USA after a long break = I'm still a pro at it. Jumping back into Sega Rally after a long break, however = back to basics for me, lol.

b) the music. Oh my, the music. Nuff said.

And there you have it, lol. You need to keep coming back to it after long breaks until it finally clicks. But for similar reason is also why Sega Touring Car is really good too. Sad I never gave it a chance when it was new + listened to BS EGM review of it. >_< Game gets really fun if you give it a really deep chance. Something I found out recently. And yes, I prefer it over any version of the first Daytona USA too. (Daytona USA 2 is a whole other ball game. And wish I owned)

Top Sega Saturn vids are usually filled with stuff folks feel they have to add. Like Sega Rally, Virtua Fightter & Panzar Dragoon Saga. But wish you luck there none the less. I'm a very big fan of the Saturn. Even if only for a very few games... but when I play the Saturn, wow. I feel great. ... I suggest you download the Official Sega Saturn Magazine scans. That is the ultimate source for Sega Saturn love and to see what's out there. Along with Segagaga website to cover the Japan only games.

Heck, my research into the Saturn is still far from over. Many more game for me to try. Some, sadly, really require Japanese...

And that list I mentioned omits many. ie. Shmups. Because I know most don't like the genre.

Thief
12-30-2014, 09:11 AM
Yes we all know how the PS3 only has 256 MBs. Half the RAM of what the 360 has. Sony really screwed up in that department.

No, it has the same amount of ram as the 360. Just split 256 + 256. And something weird about it that requires way more care and less freedom programming wise compared to the 360. Not sure the exact details again as I forgot. But just correcting you.

TrekkiesUnite118
12-30-2014, 03:02 PM
Back in the day i played imports on the Saturn perfectly fine, using the pro action replay. It was the one that also had the built-in 4MB ram. Thought this was common knowledge.

You will most likely have compatibility issues with 1MB games. The Action Replay just has the 4MB RAM cart in it. While that will get some games running, quite a few have problems. And if you get an older revision you can have problems with games like Vampire Savior too.

Basically you'll need to keep a 1MB cart around for compatibility, but that wont work if your system isn't region modded or Japanese. Honestly I'd say just region mod your Saturn or get a Japanese one. If you can region mod a Genesis, a Saturn isn't that much harder. You just need to install a switch to toggle between 2 different jumper settings (3 if you care about the few PAL exclusives).

MathUser
12-30-2014, 07:49 PM
I love the slow motion dramatic crashes of 3DO Need for speed. Also, yes on demolition man. I couldn't get far in that game on my own but used a level select so I tried out every level. Very good game for it's time.

Segadream
12-30-2014, 08:04 PM

Well,
My 1993 Ford Tempo had a personally constructed overhaul that included reinforced chassis with suspension,
oh and a 5.0 mustang drive train and engine.
I kept the outside as stock as could be, even put white walls out so it looked like a grandpas ride to church.
Sleeper indeed.
You should have seen the faces of those in traffic beat off the line and into the 60th meters.
What lexus could ever give me such joy?....
I do however have great love for my old 1984 Celica with 1987 SUPRA drive train and engine inside....:cool:
P.S.
Get the 3DO, there are plenty of Saturns to get later.

Yharnamresident
12-30-2014, 10:18 PM
No, it has the same amount of ram as the 360. Just split 256 + 256. And something weird about it that requires way more care and less freedom programming wise compared to the 360. Not sure the exact details again as I forgot. But just correcting you.I'll assume you didn't reach page 4 before writing that.

Well, I can see that for a very BAD port, using the PS3 hardware very badly.A half-assed port. Or the RAM allocation problem. We'll never know the answer.

TrekkiesUnite118
12-30-2014, 10:45 PM
A half-assed port. Or the RAM allocation problem. We'll never know the answer.

Considering they've patched it numerous times to try and fix it, I'm willing to bet it's the RAM allocation problem.

Thief
12-31-2014, 12:01 AM
I'll assume you didn't reach page 4 before writing that.

Yep. :D Plus I so should of guessed ten dozen folks from here would of pointed out that mistake all at the same time. Some real bright boys here. Which is very great to be still learning new things because of this great place.

Yharnamresident
12-31-2014, 05:23 AM
Yep. :D Plus I so should of guessed ten dozen folks from here would of pointed out that mistake all at the same time. Some real bright boys here. Which is very great to be still learning new things because of this great place.

Yes this place is great for learning. This is where I learned hexadecimals. Tomathious taught me them in some thread. I love that guy.

BRNexus have you decided upon which console to get?

zetastrike
12-31-2014, 10:19 AM
If you're interested in the 3DO and think you might enjoy it, then I'd say get one now. There aren't that many in circulation and the people who have them tend to hold onto them. Saturns, both NA and Japanese, are very plentiful and easy to find. As far as games go, I think going Japan only is a smart decision. Games are 9 times out of 10 cheaper and come in regular jewel cases, so you don't have to worry about the longbox being reduced to a fine powder by the time it arrives at your house. And if the thought of prices climbing worries you, then just get a modchip installed.

RPGbandit
01-01-2015, 09:15 PM
^no wonder burned never worked on fz1 or goldstar

goldenband
01-02-2015, 12:28 AM
^no wonder burned never worked on fz1 or goldstar

Burned CDs worked on both of my FZ-1s and on the Goldstar I briefly had, as long as I used high-quality discs (Taiyo Yuden).

One of my FZ-1s had to warm up for a while before it'd read a burned disc well, but the other one does it with no problem right out of the box. The Goldstar was surprisingly tolerant too, considering their reputation for struggling with burned discs.

zetastrike
01-02-2015, 08:28 AM
As tempting as it is, I won't use CDRs in my FZ-1. I don't want to risk wearing out the laser. CDRs definitely did a number on my Sega CD.

doomguy
01-04-2015, 12:35 PM
I'm going to go against the grain here and recommend the 3d0 It has plenty of good games, a very under rated console. The best part about it is that it has no copy protection so you can try out tons of games for very little cost.

Folco
01-04-2015, 01:42 PM
IMO Saturn has a far better library.

Better than Daytona USA CE?
I might give it a chance, Daytona is my favorite racing game on Saturn (even over Sega Rally which is excellent).

doomguy
01-04-2015, 02:01 PM
IMO Saturn has a far better library.

Better than Daytona USA CE?
I might give it a chance, Daytona is my favorite racing game on Saturn (even over Sega Rally which is excellent).

Don't get it unless you have the steering wheel, i find it pretty much unplayable using the d pad and the analog controller isn't much better.

Yharnamresident
01-04-2015, 03:18 PM
Pfft stock car racing.

Never played Touring Car, but it has amazing music. Almost on-par with F-Zero GX's music.