PDA

View Full Version : Best Game Gear games

old man
01-10-2015, 12:20 PM
Let's start this off right. I don't know much about Game Gear titles so hopefully you guys can recommend a few.

Thierry Henry
01-10-2015, 12:34 PM
Haven't played all that many GG titles, but I did really enjoy the Shinobi games. I'd definitely recommend those.

zetastrike
01-10-2015, 01:21 PM
This is what I own and recommend:

GG Aleste 2
Batman Returns (no one hit kills, different weapon system on GG. I think these changes from the SMS are for the better)
SoR2 (better hit detection and colors look nicer on GG)
Lucky Dime Caper
Land of Illusion
Bubble Bobble
Sonic 1
Sonic 2
Sonic Chaos
Sonic Triple Trouble
Shinobi 1
Samurai Showdown
Super Columns
Columns (a much nicer presentation than the SMS version)
GP Rider (much better than the SMS version, which is split screen even in 1p mode. This is like Super Hang On on the GG)
Psychic World
NBA Jam TE

Games in blue are either not available on the SMS or are better on the GG. I would recommend owning all of these, though. I was a little skeptical when I bought my GG, seeing as I already own an everdrive with the complete SMS library, but I'm very happy with it and find it a fun, cheap system to collect for. I don't mind owning games that are also on the SMS. Like many will point out, there's often real differences between the two versions.

Baloo
01-10-2015, 04:10 PM
vYqTCHhouk4

Not a whole lot of GG games have aged well, but this is an underrated gem in the library.

FuturePrimitive
01-10-2015, 04:35 PM
I haven't been able to play many of the Game Gear exclusive titles, but I will recommend Tails Adventure! Definitely a hidden gem.

Kamahl
01-10-2015, 04:52 PM
GG Power Rangers is a way better than genesis Power Rangers lol.

j_factor
01-10-2015, 05:21 PM
It's weird how that Power Rangers game actually has competent production. A lot of licensed games for the Game Gear (and Game Boy as well) are incomplete junk. I wouldn't actually recommend it though, because that style of gameplay gets boring quick IMO.

The Game Gear did well with puzzle games. I wish there were more. Here's some:

Columns (better than the SMS version, differentiated from the Genesis version)
Super Columns (GG exclusive)
Zoop (not as good as the console versions, but nice)
Klax (not as nice as the Lynx version, but still good)
Tesserae (better than the GB vesion, otherwise only on computers)
Gear Works (same situation as Tesserae)
Slider (not sure how it compares to the obscure PC Engine version, but good game)
Baku Baku (obv not as good as the Saturn version, but still great)
Magical Puzzle Popils (GG exclusive)
Puyo Puyo (only version with English text)
Lemmings (a bit different from other versions)
Bust A Move (not the best version of this game, but solid)

In general, the puzzle genre is a pretty safe bet on the Game Gear. The only one that I would specifically not recommend is Pac-Attack. Not because of the port job, just the game itself.

Other recommendations:

Halley Wars
Defenders of Oasis
Shinobi
Tails Adventure
Sonic Triple Trouble
Dynamite Headdy
Ristar
Pengo
Ninja Gaiden
Virtua Fighter Animation
Global Gladiators (if only for the soundtrack :p)

QuickSciFi
01-11-2015, 12:16 AM
I'd recommend from the ones I've played in order of awesomeness:
1. Defenders of Oasis
2. Crystal Warriors
3. Ax Battler: A Legend of Golden Axe
4. ALL the SONIC games: All the Sonic games are amazing (including spin-offs).
5. Vampire: Master of Darkness
6. Disney's Aladdin (you are in for quite a nice surprise. Think Prince of Persia meets Phantasy Star IV ;))
7. Mortal Kombat II (surprisingly similar to the Genesis version)
8. Alien 3: Yup, these games play better on an 8-bit system
9. Hook: Same here. The jump action is all F'd up on the Genesis. But not here.
10. Disney's The Lucky Dime Caper starring Donald Duck (Very tough, but beautiful)
11. U.S. Gold Presents Star Wars (I'd imagine this game plays just as awesome in all of its 8-bit counterparts. Looks amazing on the GG)
12. Streets of Rage 2 (I mention it over part 1 on the GG, simply because part 2 is easier and smoother).

Cornholio857
01-11-2015, 01:02 AM
Like QuickSciFi, this is a list of the games that I have played and enjoyed.

-Sonic 1: Good version of Sonic 1 with exclusive Zones. Good, colorful graphics and a great soundtrack by Yuzo Koshiro. Bridge Zone music FTW (No wonder Janet Jackson sampled it).

-Sonic 2: The first Game Gear game I played as it came with the system. As everyone knows, the first boss is ridiculous, for two reasons. One, the Game Gear's lower screen resolution and two, for whatever reason, Aspect decided to randomize the way the bombs drop (unlike the SMS version). Honestly, I have never beaten him so I was glad there was a Level Select code. But after Underground Zone, the game is much easier (to me).

-Sonic Chaos: MUCH easier than Sonic 2. I guess Aspect heard a lot about Sonic 2's difficulty. LOL Again, great graphics and music. Gigapolis Zone is my favorite BGM in the game. Also the first Sonic game to let you control Tails' flight.

-Sonic Triple Trouble: Bigger Zones equals more to explore! I had a lot of fun with this one. The difficulty is just right and never annoying. Graphics wise it puts the Game Gear's expanded color palette to good use.

-Sonic Drift 1/2: A good cart-style racer for killing some time. I did this a lot on the bus playing Sonic Drift 2.

-Ristar: One of the most colorful Game Gear games I have seen with multiple scrolling layers. The Game Gear's renditions of the Genesis music is great. Highly recommended!

-Columns: Great version for playing on-the-go.

That's all I can think of for now. :cool:

Zz Badnusty
01-11-2015, 01:52 AM
Zenki is one I always like to recommend.

tryphon
01-11-2015, 03:49 AM
I've heard good about Fatal Fury Special.

highlandcattle
01-11-2015, 05:20 AM
Wonderboy III the dragon's trap. Sadly it has a password save instead of a battery safe.
Haley Wars
Woody Pop
Cool Spot
Ninja Gaiden
Wonderboy
these are games I own and love

Jeckidy
01-11-2015, 05:29 AM
Tails Adventures is my no. 1 followed by Sonic 1, 2, Chaos and Triple Trouble.

Baloo
01-11-2015, 02:14 PM
Also have to recommend all of the Disney games for the system. Castle of Illusion, Land of Illusion, Legend of Illusion, Lucky Dime Caper, and Deep Duck Trouble are all excellent platformers and on par with the similar Genesis games. I personally like them more than the Sonic games on the Game Gear. Sonic Chaos is the only one I really like for Game Gear, and even then it's very easy. Sonic 1 has a bunch of slowdown, Sonic 2 has poor level design, and Triple Trouble has even more slowdown than Sonic 1. Sonic Blast is junk.

Tails Adventure I'll give another thumbs-up to that as well.

Alianger
01-16-2015, 03:17 PM
Let's not forget the recently translated Royal Stone (SRPG):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXAzjFQL0Kw

zetastrike
01-16-2015, 09:48 PM
Also have to recommend all of the Disney games for the system. Castle of Illusion, Land of Illusion, Legend of Illusion, Lucky Dime Caper, and Deep Duck Trouble are all excellent platformers and on par with the similar Genesis games. I personally like them more than the Sonic games on the Game Gear. Sonic Chaos is the only one I really like for Game Gear, and even then it's very easy. Sonic 1 has a bunch of slowdown, Sonic 2 has poor level design, and Triple Trouble has even more slowdown than Sonic 1. Sonic Blast is junk.

Tails Adventure I'll give another thumbs-up to that as well.

I could never get into Sonic Chaos because the levels are way too short. Even a newcomer could blow through most of the individual zones in ~30 seconds. The game doesn't let you enjoy it. It's a shame because all the other ingredients are there for a good game.

I find myself going back to Sonic 1, 2, and Triple Trouble a lot more.

matteus
01-17-2015, 11:49 AM
I could never get into Sonic Chaos because the levels are way too short. Even a newcomer could blow through most of the individual zones in ~30 seconds. The game doesn't let you enjoy it. It's a shame because all the other ingredients are there for a good game.

I find myself going back to Sonic 1, 2, and Triple Trouble a lot more.

Agreed Sonic Chaos had extremely short levels! I blasted through it far too quickly and never went back for a replay

matteus
01-17-2015, 11:54 AM
Let's not forget the recently translated Royal Stone (SRPG):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXAzjFQL0Kw

Pretty game for GG! A lot of text! Must have taken them forever to translate the script!

synbiosfan
01-18-2015, 12:25 AM
If you haven't played Shining Force CD, Shining Force Sword of Hajya is more SF fun.

Since the GG is region free, Shining Force Gaiden Final Conflict is an exclusive. It's been translated and it takes place between SF and SF II.

BoostedGR33K
01-22-2015, 10:23 PM
I really enjoyed...
Terminator 2: Judgement Day
Robocop
Aerial Assault
Sonic Drift
Honestly, I used to watch a lotta TV on my game gear more than play actual games.... no TV in my room at that age so....heh.

segasonicfan
01-23-2015, 02:43 AM
GG Aleste 2! Hands down, what a masterpiece.
Lately I've been loving Magical Puzzle Popils. GG Exclusive with 100 puzzles and a SAVE feature!
Legend of Illusion is badass, and not on SMS. Amazing graphics and its designed for the GG unlike the others in the series.
Shinobis on GG are great. Like really great, I'm amazed that Sega translated them so well.
Gunstar Heroes GG- I greatly prefer this version to the Genesis one.
All the Sonics (except for Spinball, omfg worst sonic ever) are really solid. I used to love labyrinth back in the day. Sega took a lot of leaps in the creative direction on GG sonics.

maxi
01-28-2015, 08:29 AM
I would kill someone by a port of Shining Force Gaiden Final Conflict for the SMS.

vintagegamecrazy
02-22-2015, 01:00 AM
If you like your games arcade flavored then Marble Madness and Mappy are quite well done and fun to play as well.

Jeckidy
02-01-2016, 10:29 AM
I probably enjoy the GG more than the original GB or even the dreadful GBC, which looked like shit and was hardly a competent upgrade compared to what GG had years before!

As for Sonic Chaos, it's fun if you're aiming to get all the emeralds, but even then only slightly more fun because it really is a short game. I do agree that S1 and 2 and TT are better Sonic games on the system. I'd say Sonic 1 is my favorite of all the Sonics followed either by Triple Trouble or Sonic 2.

Lync
02-09-2016, 04:13 PM
I see most of the titles I would have mentioned, but anyone familiar with Sylvan Tale?

It is among many of the Japan-only releases for the Game Gear that really make me envious. Not sure how much the language-barrier hinders the game but have been thinking of importing a loose cart and giving it a shot. Reminds me of Terranigma on SNES.

datbuta
02-09-2016, 06:25 PM
i'm playing dragon crystal right now.... pretty interesting game... Reminds me of Fatal Labyrinth... and i'm a fan of that game... pretty cool!! Though I wish the music would have switched up when you change levels... The music is awesome lol.

A Black Falcon
02-09-2016, 11:12 PM
A-grade GG games: (best first)

Bust-A-Move
Sonic the Hedgehog
Crystal Warriors
Royal Stone (J)
Super Columns
Ristar: The Shooting Star
Gunstar Heroes (J)
Psychic World

Honorable Mentions: B+ games:

Tails' Sky Patrol (J)
Pac-Man
Donald Duck: The Lucky Dime Caper
Fray: Shuugyouhen (J)

The GG has an oddly large number of good or interesting Japanese exclusives.

I see most of the titles I would have mentioned, but anyone familiar with Sylvan Tale?

It is among many of the Japan-only releases for the Game Gear that really make me envious. Not sure how much the language-barrier hinders the game but have been thinking of importing a loose cart and giving it a shot. Reminds me of Terranigma on SNES.

I have the game, but haven't played much of it. If you do, though, it's be more fun to play the translated ROM than the real cart, since it'd be in English. It seems like an okay game, but it's no Zelda; this is not the GG's answer to Link's Awakening, not in terms of game quality, I don't think. Maybe think more of Crusader of Centy's level than Zelda or Landstalker. It's decent though, I should play it more...

POLYGAMe
02-10-2016, 03:28 AM
For me it was Sonic, Shinobi and Road Rash. I wanted to like Out Run and Sonic Drift, especially after the positive reviews, but they were poos.

Psalm Down
06-21-2016, 05:01 AM

This is the best thing on the system. Plays like Crystalis or Zelda. Puzzly action-rpg. Fan translated.

Tripredacus
06-22-2016, 04:53 PM
I have not played a large amount of games on the Game Gear, but the one I like the most is Slider. Better than Zoop.

SuicidalSalmon
06-23-2016, 05:54 AM
Jurassic Park
Vampire Master of Darkness
Batman Returns (Just me?)

Alianger
11-25-2016, 06:21 PM
Found a pretty good top 50 article just now, so thought I'd share: http://internetisinamerica.blogspot.se/2015/08/the-50-greatest-sega-game-gear-games.html

cccmar
11-28-2016, 01:23 PM
My top 5 would be GG Aleste, Tales Adventure, Sylvan Tale, Vampire Master of Darkness and perhaps Royal Stone. Also, one game that definitely warrants a fan translation patch would be Kishin Doujin Zenki, since it's a pretty neat platform game. There are also some other translation-worthy games, but that's another topic entirely. All in all, there are obviously more good games on the system, it's just that those are the ones which were the most memorable for me.